Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A question!

JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

after watching the videos the game looks pretty good.

but. it seems like each ship is controlled by 1 player, as opposed to a ship being controlled by several players. it seems like you walk on land as a man then as you walk into the water you turn into a ship? i guess you "park" your boat at ports or whatever, seems a bit wierd since the realism is lost when it takes only 1 person to man a ship.

when ur ship is destoryed does it respawn by magic or what?

there only seems to be mele classes.

if your ship immobalises a ship then goes on deck for a sword fight who is the the fight if its 1 real player per ship, is it 1 person vs 1 person or does each person have a npc crew thats helps them fight?

My blog: image

Comments

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

First there are no classes or i could be wrong with that, i don't think theres traditional classes you just pick a side. Your avatar has melee attacks since its a swashbuckling era, people fought primarily with swords, guns were very inaccurate and took a long time to reload.

Each ship is controlled by a player because its not fun for everyone to stand around waiting for everyone else to be on line just so they can play the game.

Realism can only be taking so far, a game is meant to be fun, certain aspects of realism do not work as fun game mechanics that being one of them.

I believe when your ship is destroyed you re spawn at port and lose a life so to speak, once all your lifes are gone your ships destroyed and you'll need another one, think they give you a very basic ship so you aren't completely stuffed.

I believe when you go onto someone else's deck your ship is just left there and can be attacked so you have to choose when to board, since you are still vulnerable to attack.

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

There are four "classes" in game:

The Nation classes - Freetrader, Naval Officer, and Privateer

And a Pirate class that belongs to the "pirate" nation.

Basically, you have 2 separate skill trees.  One skill tree governs your "class."  For instance, a Naval officer has skill that make his crew men fire cannons better (accuracy and damage).  Privateer has a skill that allows him to attack other nations vessels in open water, like a Pirate, and skills that make them better at boarding combat.  Freetraders have skills making them better at trading and skirting enemy ships. Pirates have a skill that makes them "scare" the crew of an enemy ship (or their own crew to make them work harder).

The second skill tree is your swashbuckling tree.  You get better attacks, defense, etc.  You choose one type of swashbuckling to start:  Fencing (high damage), Florentine (dual wield that helps defense) and Cutlass (stuns and special moves). The nice thing is that combat is skill-based.  You don't get higher damaging swords and whatnot.  There are no armors to give you more durability.  Also, your defense is determined by a separate balance pool.  High balance means you get hit less.  Different skills will allow you to knock the other persons balance down, allowing you to do damage, and build initiative for special attacks like pistol shots, gun blasts, foot stomps, throwing sand in the eyes, etc.

You get one skill per level, but that skill is for either class or swashbuckling continued ever other level respectively.  At level 50, that would mean 25/25.

Pirates get the most skills (55 I think) compared to the nation classes (45).  But, pirates also are unable to have the vastly more powerful economic backbone of the nations.  They will still be able to build things, but they will gather most of what they need from attacking other vessels or sacking towns.

As far as boarding combat goes, yes you get an NPC crew to fight with you.  Actually, it is rather dynamic and you should really read the information on their main website, because I will just screw it up.  Also, you can have multiple ships board one vessel.  So two lower level pirates could feasibly board a bigger freetrader and combine their forces.

Hope that answers some of your questions!

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

thanks it does answer my questions.

I think this game looks very interesting, all the more great since its coming out soon!

Since i have always wanted to be a pirate since birth maybe i'll be playing this game. yaar

My blog: image