Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAR in comparison to other MMO's coming out.

Choose the top one that if WAR---WASN'T coming out you would be waiting to play.  Just curious to see what everyone else is looking at.  I'm by all means looking foward to WAR but I'm browsing other games as well.  My top choice is Darkfall.  If i took the entire poll list and ordered it from most anticipated and included WAR in there it would be from highest anticapted to lowest anticipated...

WAR-I don't need to explain this do I? 

Darkfall-Looks good and mechanics seem very advanced and intuitive

Chronicles of Spellborn-Another one that looks good, don't know a whole lot about the gameplay though.

Age of Conan-Looks good but I'm not sure if my computer is up to the task of running it. 

Pirates of the Burning Seas-Looks fun, seems like it might lack somewhat in terms of gameplay though

Aion-Another Asian MMO, looks good but adding wings to a human=/=cool automatically

Fury-Like guild wars except without the ....uh....yea....

Tabula Rasa-Hmm, can you say "dead on arrival"?   I think this game will have even a shorter life span then Auto Assault.

~~Internet gaming is not for the faint of heart or the dumb of mind.~~

Comments

• s0ulls0ull Member Posts: 186

Age Of Conan and Spellborn are the only ones I'm interested in. Darkfall is too far off to get excited about yet.

• TheFonzV2.0TheFonzV2.0 Member Posts: 198

PotBS the most. I have a thing for pirates.

Bollocks!

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Aion, Age of Conan, Pirates of the Burning Sea are all MMORPGs that I'm keeping an eye on.  I think they might have potenital (Though they still haven't released much info on Aion)

I was following Tabula Rasa but I get really suspicious when there are mixed signals from the testers and gaming community combined with a wave of marketing hype from the company.   The community should be the ones generating most of the hype when a game is this close to release, not the company if they've done their jobs. 

• SykomykeSykomyke Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by Alienovrlord

Aion, Age of Conan, Pirates of the Burning Sea are all MMORPGs that I'm keeping an eye on.  I think they might have potenital (Though they still haven't released much info on Aion)
    I was following Tabula Rasa but I get really suspicious when there are mixed signals from the testers and gaming community combined with a wave of marketing hype from the company.   The community should be the ones generating most of the hype when a game is this close to release, not the company if they've done their jobs. 

Exactly!  Read some of the beta testers reviews...its quite sad.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

For f2p I am looking forward to trying 12 sky......Sounds decent and we gotta have something to get us by till we find our p2p game :)

• freakomarfreakomar Member Posts: 415

When you play it yourself, you'll find out why. Theres nothing to it.

And im waiting for Darkfall, Aion (its not just "another asian mmo", trust me), PotBS maybe, Chronicles of Spellborn maybe... And thats it I guess.

But im waiting on darkfall the most

Played almost everything...
    Currently playing nothing...
    Waiting for: Darkfall, WAR, Guild Wars 2.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Ugh, there needs to be a "None of the above" option, since a few of those games are novice efforts that will likely be flops, Asian grinders that are just horrid, or just simply trash promiseware.

Darkfall may not even come out, and if it does it will not be 1/5 of what it claims to be, and The Chronicles of Spellborn is also looking like it will flop, too (sounds so simplistic it is as though they are trying to make a European version of an Asian grinder). Fury looks to be far too shallow to hold my interest, as does Tabula Rasa, which has flopped even before release, an amazing feat. Aion...I have yet to see an Asian MMORPG that is at all fun unless you find unvarying repetition to be fun; every MMORPG has repetition, to be sure, but they do not even hide it behind deep lore or a well-designed game system.

Pirates of the Burning Sea does look cool, I will grant that. I hope this game does well because the developers really tried something quite unique (pirates are not totally unique, but it beats swords and elves) and the game features look fun. Owning your own fleet? Being a merchant, a pirate, or whatever? Sweet! Unfortunately, that is not where my interests lie, but I can understand people frothing at the mouth for this.

I suppose my only option would be Age of Conan, if I needed to pick something. But, I think I would rather not play anything at all, to be honest. AoC looks fine and all, and would perhaps keep my attention for a few months, but I do not like its combat system (seems too arcadish as explained), its graphical style, or the offline/online play. It really has done nothing to "wow" me yet, and has "meh" all over it. Blood, boobs, sex buffs, and all that also do nothing to invite my optimism.

After all these games release and have been out for 6+ months, the only ones with a hope of having at least 250,000 monthly subscribers are Age of Conan and Warhammer Online. Pirates of the Burning Sea may do well since it can prey on a niche and thus will not compete directly with the big boys of fantasy, but the other games listed will not, in my opinion cut it, and will wither away. Subscribers are not everything, and games can survive on low numbers, and I am sure people will love these games, but it really sucks playing a game on life support rather than a game that grows and has a thriving community.

• TambourineTambourine Member UncommonPosts: 181

Chronicles of Spellborn by far for me, probably won't bother touching any of the rest. I liked Fury for a short bit, but my God, I can play Vanguard with far better performance, and Fury is planned for release rather soon.

• ArchinArchin Member Posts: 103

I went for Pirates of the Burning Sea BUT also im really liking Fallen Earth... im starting to move away from magic and stuff I think, not sure if its cause im getting older but yeah Fallen Earth + Fallout 3 well I just can't stay away :D

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

WAR looks like the same old crap.  AoC very well could be unless they have a cool server with player looting.  POTBS or Darkfall are the only real options.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244
    Originally posted by sullivanj69

WAR looks like the same old crap.  AoC very well could be unless they have a cool server with player looting.  POTBS or Darkfall are the only real options.

then why on earth are you reading the WAR forums? wouldnt it be better to just... not?

• evil13evil13 Member CommonPosts: 359

Darkfall and "real" in the same sentance :)  I guess I'd choose aoc or perhaps potbs, or maybe none at all :)

PS: Should be interesting to see if they can transfer fallout's setting/gameplay into an mmo. Seems kind of hard to do (since fallout, kind of like eve uses two movement systems, one for out of combat one for in-combat, and that doesn't transfer to a none spaceship setting very well) But still, fallout 2 was a great game.

• NnyanNnyan Member UncommonPosts: 42

Obviously you're not in the WO beta but you know its crap?  Yeah...

AoC and CoS for me, those will get my money and at least a chance to win me over.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

PotBS is what I picked but I would probably end up in AoC. I generally go for whatever my guild/friends all join. It was like that with WoW. Everyone left SWG at CU and picked up WoW so i started playing that. WAR seems like the next big blockbuster game and AoC isn't far behind.

AIon looks to be another asian mmo so meh.

Darkfal is never coming out.

Tabia Rasa just isn't fun...I beta tested it.

Spellborn and Fury seem like they might be good but just havn't captured my interest.

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

WAR will come out and I will play it but if it did not I would likely play AoC.

• EmmericEmmeric Member Posts: 54

You need a none or other option in poll

War = Daoc in 8 months bad class balance and tweks that cant be fixed dominated by  the "hardcore players" killing it for the casual players.

• KelsonmacKelsonmac Member Posts: 313

Of the games listes, Aion looks the most compelling

However, Aion is being developed and distributed by NCSoft (Korea). Anyone who has ever played Lineage 2 knows that NCSoft pays absolutely no mind to its EULA. Botters outnumbered real players 5 to 1 on my server on Lineage 2. Not only some of the time, but always. On the official Lineage 2 boards, you were banned if you even mentioned the problems with all the botters.

There is no way I will ever play another NCSoft (Korea) game.

Originally posted by Kelsonmac

Of the games listes, Aion looks the most compelling
    However, Aion is being developed and distributed by NCSoft (Korea). Anyone who has ever played Lineage 2 knows that NCSoft pays absolutely no mind to its EULA. Botters outnumbered real players 5 to 1 on my server on Lineage 2. Not only some of the time, but always. On the official Lineage 2 boards, you were banned if you even mentioned the problems with all the botters.
    There is no way I will ever play another NCSoft (Korea) game.
    Banned for mentioning the botters? How is that even possible? It's like going to the police station and gsaying "I've seen the faces of 20 armed robbers in the last 3 weeks and I have photographic memory and can tell you the exact facial details to find them."  Then they lock you up for just witnessing the crimes... 

If a company did that to me I would never play with their products again.  You say NCSoft did this?  And here I thought Guild Wars was such a decent game...not great but it did alot well.

• KelsonmacKelsonmac Member Posts: 313

Originally posted by Sykomyke

Banned for mentioning the botters? How is that even possible? It's like going to the police station and gsaying "I've seen the faces of 20 armed robbers in the last 3 weeks and I have photographic memory and can tell you the exact facial details to find them."  Then they lock you up for just witnessing the crimes... 

If a company did that to me I would never play with their products again.  You say NCSoft did this?  And here I thought Guild Wars was such a decent game...not great but it did alot well.
    Guild Wars is a different case entirely. Guild Wars was developed and is managed by ArenaNet. They do a wonderful job in all manner of customer service. NCSoft is simply the distrubuter of the game.

With Aion (as with Lineage 2) NCSoft is both the developer and distributer of the game.

And yes, several people have been banned from the Official Lineage 2 website. A typical banned post might be, "Last night I was hunting in Ancient Battlegrounds, but I ran into seven different bot parties. I saw them at 7 pm pacific time at "x,y.z" coordinates."

Bang! Ban-hammer. You can not mention bots at all. As I said, bots make up probably make up 80% of the subscribers, so they are the money-making machine behind the game. Lineage 2 is a wonderful game, as I am sure Aion will be as well. But I simply will not sink money into a product that cares nothing whatsoever about legitimate gameplay.

You might think I am lying or blowing what I am saying out of proportion. But all you have to do is about 2 minutes of research, and you'll see that, if anything, I am understating.

• butters88butters88 Member Posts: 379

Honestly, I was ready to give up MMO's until I saw WAR. So i can't really choose cuz i probably would'nt have been interested in any of them.

• letum6030letum6030 Member Posts: 206

Kelsonmac isn't lying.  I played L2 for over a year and a half (starting with the open beta and moving on).  My clanmates and I just so happened to be leveling at the same rate the botters were so we would constantly see them where we hunted.  I often times went red on them and traded my gear to a friend so that I wouldn't lose my gear.  A gearless clan master is a very bad thing in that game.  All of us got banned from the forums for posting about the bots (including screenshots with their sequential names).  I lost all of my GM tickets for a week becasue I used them all reporting the bots.  They are supposed to be replenished daily not weekly.  I quit the game when I went to the Giant's Cave and they were all farming there.  A group of us who were leveling together went their to get a sword for the clan leader of a clan we were going to be allied with.  The damn bots were in one area, and the farmers were in another.  We couldn't really compete with both, but we tried.  However, we didn't last long.  The farmer trained mobs on us and we wiped.  The other clan leader and I both lost some good gear, so we ALL quit.  This isn't an isolated event.  The GMs just tell you that it's part of the game. 

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

AoC and PotBS both seem interesting, but I have no doubt WAR will release and that is the one I will be playing.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

This only confirms many of the rumors spreading across the net regarding Tabula Rasa.

Meanwhile, "Lord British" is going off into space on a PR stunt for NCSoft instead of supervising his game 

Originally posted by freakomar

When you play it yourself, you'll find out why. Theres nothing to it.

Unless it's on a 14-day free trial I doubt I'll be playing Tabula Rasa anymore.  I have no intention of sending another clueless developer any money. 

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

This only confirms many of the rumors spreading across the net regarding Tabula Rasa.

Meanwhile, "Lord British" is going off into space on a PR stunt for NCSoft instead of supervising his game 

Tabula Rasa is going to be DOA (dead on arrival). I honestly feel quite sorry for anyone who looked forward to this game and stuck with it through its many transformations over the years. In the end, they took none of the good parts of an MMORPG and none of the good parts of an FPS, stuck those parts together, and spat out TR, a shallow single-player game that does not provide any of the necessary addiction factor to get you to log on. Though the game is not yet released, they cannot turn it all around in one month, and have already developed a bad reputation even before release. When the game drops, if it is not a masterpiece from launch, it truly is without hope.

TR, basically, is a game stuck between two worlds and pulls neither of them off. People who buy it expecting 6+ months of entertainment will be shocked when they discover games like BioShock (amazing game!) provide more entertainment and replay value.

I just hope other developers do not see this debacle and decide to stop trying to make science-fiction MMORPGs. I believe they can be done right, and Anarchy Online sort of managed it, after 2+ years, by which time it was too dated and had a poor reputation. But, when someone does it well, they will tap an amazing niche market (not me, though, high fantasy all the way) no one else is seriously tapping, and guarantee 200,000+ subscriptions for a long time.

Unlike NCSoft or a lot of these other upstarts, though, I have full confidence in EA Mythic and do not think we will get burned by them, and certainly not on the scale of Tabula Rasa or Vanguard, which are doing things in the crash and burn department unseen since Horizons and Dark and Light.

edit: minor typo fixed.

I'm confused, it feels like people think I like TR due to the reaction to my comments.  In fact I don't like it, it has very poor gameplay like many others have said. Just to clear that up for those of you who are having trouble with the big words... "Me no like Tabula Rasa".