Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another perspective on the game that is Fury...

DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Ok, big read. Just a different perspective on a few things about Fury. Read for curiosity or brain food, feel free to disagree but think about the bigger picture if you do, and be nice about it.

FURY

First, one must ask themselves... what is Fury? Is it your normal run of the mill MMO? The answer is a simple yes and no. Fury is unreal tournament with an asian theme, a third person perspective, armor and skills with a hotbar. Think, World of Tournamentcraft. How is it different? Simple, its business model is quite interesting and it carries with it both the quick fix action and the depthy strategic placement of skills, points, and items. The best of both worlds.

Fury is a nice little project, that I hope succeeds, yet it seems to fall short on many levels as well. First being, the game feels more like a user mod from some unreal game rather than a nice full budget MMO. Second, there seems to be a lack of class and character balance in the game. The devs need to get someone who truely knows how to balance the game, because right now it is becoming worse.

It looks like quite a few have pre-ordered the game, however, from the way things look, the game might be worth purchasing for unlimited play, but purchasing and then paying monthly for "immortal status" seems purely retarded. They seem to be putting more of a focus on adding things like "player housing" for monthly subscribers than actually adding features into the game that would work towards the purchase once an play gamer.

The battle grounds are for the most part, melee favored and full of bad design (in my opinion). Take for example, Blood Bath, a free for all game where everyone is supposed to kill eachother. Only, if you are melee you have the upper hand, especially if you are one of the two favored archtypes. Add the fact that players team up with eachother and turn it into a team vs one person game destroys the whole point of the war zone to begin with. Some skills allow players to get out of the spawn point in order to kill others before the game begins. Finally, it requires no Int, its merely a button mashing gank fest. That may be enterataining to some, but sadly a few are miffed by it as well.

So then there are other war grounds right? right.  Elimination. Meaning 4v4. Also meaning, Pugs vs Premades. Also meaning, if you are not with a set up premade, the chances are you will be farmed for gold and fury. These actually require you to use your head a little bit, but not much unless you form a premade group and have strategies down. Even then, if you are seen as a caster type or healer, you will be targeted first. At this point, you will most likely go down in a matter of seconds, as the heal to dmg ratio is imbalanced. Again, its more of a gank fest, only once your dead you are dead unless you pop a rez.

So where does that leave us? any fun and exciting strategic gameplay... like capture the flag or what not? Yes. its called Vortex. Its pretty much a capture the flag, but instead your goal is to get 4 crystals. It was 8v8, then was moved to 12v12. Now back to 8v8.

So whats the problem? ... No one plays vortex. Why? well first off the rewards are not the best, and sadly most will choose rewards over "fun factor", it also puts casters and other types on some what of an equal level. These kinds of senarios can really add to the whole idea of defend and attack and cooperation with a large group. So why turn vortex into an elimination with crystals? beats me. They should have left it with 12v12 and offered better bonuses rather than turn it into a more premade friendly battle.

Well, now whats the next plan? any more warzones to play? well apparently there is a 32 v 32 siege zone planned, which is good because they need more options rather than support the mindless gankfest battle runs.

Having played both melee and caster type, I have seen that two things happen in these battle grounds. You kill or be killed. Because of imbalance, the Kill focused warzones become less fun. Thus goal oriented zones like Vortex are godsend as it works with every kind of build. Why then not encourage people to play it, why then not build more goal oriented games that let players choose how they wish to play, rather than force them into gank or be ganked senarios. Kill grinding is enteraining for only so long. For long term enjoyment, offering multipul challenges and ways to use ones vast skill setup are key. Something i as of yet do not see Auran focusing on.

So despite all that, the game is fun but it could be so much more. As of right now its a wait and see, yet so far there have been a series of bad design moves. It, in my opinion, is not worth anyones money as the game feels more like an amatuer project focused on a used and enhanced unreal tournament rpg like style of play.

A suggestion to the devs would be to make bots first and foremost. Offer the less skilled players the fun of playing against AI to practice their skills, because lets face it. Losing to real people is never fun. I win half the time, and lose half the time with my caster build, but win most of the time with a melee build. This isnt a QQ, but a fair assesment to help in pinpointing how to improve the game to make it worth the money and attract a wider audience. Bots, like in unreal tournament, make a huge difference. There do not have to be rewards for botting, but it can allow practice and fun to those not ready for confrontation.

Second, offer warzones that pit user vs AI and AI vs user. Imagine being part of a group and your goal is to retrieve an item, but there are 20 guards in the way. Bots. This allows a team to actually strategize and plan out taking them out to achieve a goal. This is needed. Unreal Tournament modes can easily be incorporated into Fury's style of play, since Fury is pretty much Unreal Tournament. The massive scale allows for users not to be overwelmed by cracked out premades, and gives a sense of choice making rather than zerging.

Third, options. The ability to choose not just maps when picking the war zones, but perhaps offering different modes. Example, ones that allow only weapon skills to be used, where others are focus only skills. Of course some of this is easier said than done, because at the moment, that would only make the Que lines longer, but it can easily be a longer term goal if the game population rises.

So with a final summary, the game has depth with skills and itemization, yet lacks in real options and balance. It needs a lot of polish, and needs to move from the semi-amatuerish level to a more professional build. Choose if you think its worth the money or not, but at the moment, in my opinion, its not. All these mistakes and rough start do not help the public image.

Good luck.

Comments

• RigstormRigstorm Member Posts: 17

Your post is an over dramatic opinion in an attempt to negatively sway public opinion. There should be a disclaimer at the bottom warning that you have a personal hidden agenda to accomplish and this does not actually reflect any opinion of any real fury gamer.

People who play mmorpgs only for the end game pvp have been asking for this type of game for a very long time. It puts everything in our hands, it takes skill to play and skill to make a character build that wins. You mention classes and balance but really if your build isn’t working you can make one that does, it is as easy as that. You are not bound to the restrictions of class like most mmorpgs.

If you don’t like Player vs Player combat you will not like fury, if you do; this is what we have been waiting for.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by Rigstorm

Your post is an over dramatic opinion in an attempt to negatively sway public opinion. There should be a disclaimer at the bottom warning that you have a personal hidden agenda to accomplish and this does not actually reflect any opinion of any real fury gamer.
    People who play mmorpgs only for the end game pvp have been asking for this type of game for a very long time. It puts everything in our hands, it takes skill to play and skill to make a character build that wins. You mention classes and balance but really if your build isn’t working you can make one that does, it is as easy as that. You are not bound to the restrictions of class like most mmorpgs.
    If you don’t like Player vs Player combat you will not like fury, if you do; this is what we have been waiting for.

Thank you for your attempt to put intent in my post where none previously existed. Sorry but you are wrong on all accounts, as I am trying not to sway anyone to any side of the fence, as my opinion merely reflects the good and bad i see in the game. Perhaps you failed you read the entire post?

Please spin else where, if slander is your thing, then do so else where.

As for my opinion on balance... Auran has admitted they are not balanced. Its a simple fact. However, in a pvp game, it defeats the purpose if you are being forced to be one archetype with the same skills as everyone else in order to be a viable player. Its logical then to see that there is a problem on the balance front. Sorry you failed to realize this, perhaps if you were not to busy in your attempt to put false intent in my post, you would have seen it.

So, now do you deny that blood bath in its current form is broken when instead of a free for all, players are teaming up and turning it into a gank fest? Or do you deny elimination currently has a problem with pugs vs premades and rank 1s vs rank5+ teams. Oh wait, maybe you deny the fact that no one plays Vortex? 

You see, your post really says that you did not read the original post at all and your response is as you say "over dramatic". Dont be blind to the current issues in Fury, as well, dont be afraid to say the good things about it. As I have. Champ.

The good things in your posts were backhanded compliments at best. But your post is what it is there is no point arguing it further as I have already said what I wanted.

I actually like the Bloodlust arena the most. There are times it can get crazy and there are times where you get one vs. one battles one after another.

I would like to see 2 different Elimination modes. One elimination mode for premades and the other for random group generation. That would go along way to fix the pug vs. premade problem.

The good things in your posts were backhanded compliments at best. But your post is what it is there is no point arguing it further as I have already said what I wanted.
    I actually like the Bloodlust arena the most. There are times it can get crazy and there are times where you get one vs. one battles one after another.
    I would like to see 2 different Elimination modes. One elimination mode for premades and the other for random group generation. That would go along way to fix the pug vs. premade problem.

Well the first thing i said was "i hope this game succeeds", i mean you cant possibly get any more supportive than that. So obviously I am not spinning any one way or the other there. Also I talk about Vortex favorably except for the fact that no one plays it anymore, and the new siege 32v32 (probably will change) is something i think will be great. As i stated already. Those are not "backhanded" compliments.

You may like the Blood Bath (not bloodlust) war zone the best, but that does not null the severe issue with Blood bath. Its not a free for all if a premade joins and teams up to group kill others. Im sorry but that defeats the whole purpose of the war zone. Also I am assuming you are a primary melee type, and blood bath is great for those builds. I do not think i have ever seen a caster type as one of the top 5 to kill in those warzones though.

And yes, the premade vs premade makes a lot more sense as its like guild vs guild. The casual gamer is not always guild friendly. Thus pugs are desirable for certain life styles as well. The match making system is not working as it should right now, sadly I wish that was the first they addressed. But it is being worked on, just later instead of sooner.

It would not let me join Bloodbath in a group. If you could i would agree that is a major problem.

It would not let me join Bloodbath in a group. If you could i would agree that is a major problem.

you dont go in with a group, but apparently people are finding ways to go into the same blood bath zone. Q-ing at the same time perhaps. All it takes is ventrillo or team speak to coordinate over the internet. Then the guilds or friends work as a team. Its kind of a common problem. Just yesterday I saw some guy get out of his starting bubble thing, and snipe other players while they waited for the game to start. Theres just a lot of problems with a few of the war zones at the moment.