Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KFR an asshat

VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492

This was a thread I posted in hte participants section and KFR's replies

ok, lets try sugar coating this whole thing so it doesn't get locked.

Rv is in trouble.

There was a population boost within the last few weeks due to the rebel uprising, but that was quickly squashed with thoughts of RB taking away stats and other ridiculous things. I wish I could prove it but as soon as word of a rebellion got out the IRC channel's population went from about 10 to 22 and as soon as RB stepped into the RP it dropped back down to 11, take a look for yourself.

Escaltion is taking forever, well past its due date which makes potentional buys second guess the game and go other places. The only reason why we stick around is because there is no other game like this around, even if it is in a pathetic state.

One of the most pathetic posts i have seen is the ones requesting for the mines to be refilled and for animals to be spawned in, shouldn't these be automatic?

Now, from what i have heard the Barbs are getting killed from new NPC barbs, not really up to date on that so will let it be.

I sat in on an interesting discussion last night about how RB needs to get there act together, they are falling away from their community, something they once prized themselves on.

a few people, mostly combatabts expect GHs to be a great disappointment as they will not add any RP and expect the NPCs to be easy to kill.

I wish i could write more right now but my battery is about to die. If this thread isn't locked by the time i get back i will continue.

KFR

RedBedlam

RedBedlam

postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you wouldn't. I'm really getting very tired of these non-constructive rants. If you have some suggestions, make them. If you just want to remind us of all the things you find dissatisfactory I'm really not sure this is the appropriate forum.

I've read that post three times now and I still don't see anything worth taking up the forum space, so frankly it's more likely to be deleted than locked.

-KFR
philz50

Contributor

Contributor

postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I thought the population boost of about 10 players was more due to people being angry about the use of the Cynewulf name than anything else.

The rebellion wasn't really all that interesting to a lot of people. The people involved obviously thought it was a great idea, but many other players didn't. To many, it was just a pain in the ass because it was in conflict with mechanics.

A few did start showing up at the prospect of battles, but in my opinion the rebellion was irrelevant. It wouldn't have mattered who was involved.

Outside of those who came up with the idea, the community was largely indifferent. The evidence is the fact that there were no major campaigns begun against the rebels. Most people didn't even care.

People thought the new lands were going to make-or-break, and animals, among other things. But they haven't been. Neither will Escalation.

The game hasn't even really begun yet.

Virtus

Participant

Participant

postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

KFR wrote:
I wish you wouldn't. I'm really getting very tired of these non-constructive rants. If you have some suggestions, make them. If you just want to remind us of all the things you find dissatisfactory I'm really not sure this is the appropriate forum.

I've read that post three times now and I still don't see anything worth taking up the forum space, so frankly it's more likely to be deleted than locked.

-KFR

I don't have anything constructive to say cuz anything constructive we do say gets blown out the window and ignored. The Dev relationship has dropped drastically.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  

ICQ Number

Virtus

Participant

Participant

postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

philz50 wrote:
Personally, I thought the population boost of about 10 players was more due to people being angry about the use of the Cynewulf name than anything else.

The rebellion wasn't really all that interesting to a lot of people. The people involved obviously thought it was a great idea, but many other players didn't. To many, it was just a pain in the ass because it was in conflict with mechanics.

A few did start showing up at the prospect of battles, but in my opinion the rebellion was irrelevant. It wouldn't have mattered who was involved.

Outside of those who came up with the idea, the community was largely indifferent. The evidence is the fact that there were no major campaigns begun against the rebels. Most people didn't even care.

People thought the new lands were going to make-or-break, and animals, among other things. But they haven't been. Neither will Escalation.

The game hasn't even really begun yet.

we may disagree on things but your post basically says no one cares anymore because there is nothing to do in game.

go ahead KFR lock it w/e the truth will reveal its self in due time. I will be amazed if this game ever sees 2k players

The post was then deleted <_< w/e

Comments

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452

we should be posting this on the main general discussion forum. to warn people about RV.

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492

Um, yeah, i tried that, i got it deleted and a warning cuz it was spam and posts there are not supposed to contain links to other forum sections <_<

• grenkalgrenkal Member Posts: 58

Well it seems to me that you actually agree with KFR. He says if posts are made with no constructive content then they will be deleted. You agreed there is no constructive content and he then deleted it.

Problem?

Yes the game is failing and yes there are features that are none existant despite being much awaited and most of the others don't work properly anyway but why discuss that fact with the devs? It's as if you think they don't know these things or if you helpfully point them out they will magically appear ingame...

The thread is one which actually belongs here not on the official RV forums and I can quite see why it was deleted, the things it contains do need to be made clear especially to people who are seduced by the promotional material on the RB site, but face it the place for morose realism is on a fansite not on the official forums, i can't see any developers tolerating these kind of posts on their own forums.

Ironically you endangered the existance of this thread on these forums with your title, i hope it doesn't disappear from here as well.

Originally posted by grenkal

Well it seems to me that you actually agree with KFR. He says if posts are made with no constructive content then they will be deleted. You agreed there is no constructive content and he then deleted it.

Oh, I never said it was constructive but the fact that nothing major has happened in? It seems like they don't care at all about us and just say it comes when it comes. They have broken away from us and don't care what we have to say.

Problem?

Yes the game is failing and yes there are features that are none existant despite being much awaited and most of the others don't work properly anyway but why discuss that fact with the devs? It's as if you think they don't know these things or if you helpfully point them out they will magically appear ingame...

Wouldn't you think he would do something about it though? Get more coders or better ones. I don't expect them to magically appear, I expect RB to get their act togeather

The thread is one which actually belongs here not on the official RV forums and I can quite see why it was deleted, the things it contains do need to be made clear especially to people who are seduced by the promotional material on the RB site, but face it the place for morose realism is on a fansite not on the official forums, i can't see any developers tolerating these kind of posts on their own forums.

People look at the skills page and the game ideas page and think all that stuff is in and pay for a game only to find they have been ripped off. What Devs should allow is the truth, which is what i am trying to inform people of so they don't get jipped.

Ironically you endangered the existance of this thread on these forums with your title, i hope it doesn't disappear from here as well.

If they don't like it then a mod can change the title, and not delete it.

Araceli

Contributor

Contributor

postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to thank Fav for shaking things up too. Everyone knew it wouldn't last, but I doubt I'd be back ingame at all without the rebellion plotline.

Rather than saying the RV community wasn't ready to embrace the potential that a full-scale rebellion brought, I'd almost say that people were just too comfortable in their rut to venture too far along Fav's plotline.

For better or for worse, RV is like being married. Some people love it as much today as they ever did, warts and all. Other people get sick of the snoring, or the way it chews its food, and it drives them nuts. Some people leave and never come back. The bottom line is, that it's the same stuff every day, with little variation, and people got comfortable with that. Fav's rebellion was so far outside of the comfort zone that a lot of people not only wouldn't participate, they couldn't because they had no clue how.

If RV is the familiar wife that everyone knows, then Fav is the Thai ladyboy that you're always curious about but couldn't get caught enjoying because the pics would end up on the internet.

Cheers to you, Thai ladyboy! Hope to see more from you in the future! Hell, Pompey vanished and resurfaced a few times, I'd expect no less from Favonius Cornelius.

/salute

Conal

puppyonastik

Participant

Participant

postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Araceli wrote:

If RV is the familiar wife that everyone knows, then Fav is the Thai ladyboy that you're always curious about but couldn't get caught enjoying because the pics would end up on the internet.

My interest in getting to know Fav on a personal level has just grown considerably.

<comrade`phil> it makes my mother randomly come in and stroke it

KFR

RedBedlam

RedBedlam

postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry we didn't have the time to get involved in this impromptu 'rebellion'. Part of me was hoping to use it as an opportunity to demonstrate Ulpius' unforgiving brutality.

Nevertheless it's clear that several players enjoyed the exercise and I therefore applaud the initiative behind it.

If I may however, I would charge people to try and come up with scenarios that can make good use of the existing mechanics rather than presenting players with challenging ways of re-interpreting them.

Thanks!

-KFR

Placido

Contributor

Contributor

New postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KFR wrote:
    Sorry we didn't have the time to get involved in this impromptu 'rebellion'. Part of me was hoping to use it as an opportunity to demonstrate Ulpius' unforgiving brutality.

Nevertheless it's clear that several players enjoyed the exercise and I therefore applaud the initiative behind it.

The only reason why this idea didn't go further is because of your obstinance of Red vs Blue. Good job on killing the very RP story you just praised.

-Publius Morticus Marius

XVIII Legio Milites

constantine24

Contributor

Contributor

New postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Placido wrote:
    KFR wrote:

The only reason why this idea didn't go further is because of your obstinance of Red vs Blue. Good job on killing the very RP story you just praised.

Favonius was aware of the system of RV and that the game had been developed as a Red vs Blue game. The failure of this RP story line does not fall with KFR but with Favonius himself. There are many other routes he could have taken with his story that probably would have been more fun for all, but he decided on the one that in the end would fail miserably.

Vepgenus

KFR

RedBedlam

RedBedlam

New postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I think I'll shut this down now.

-KFR

Everytime someone brings up the smallest issue with the game he locks the thread, Placido's post..It's not jsut me that is against the current goings on. Conal's post brings up a very good point people are used to the same old stuff.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I really disliked playing VG.  It performed very badly on my PC, I crashed frequently, fell through the game world, and lost experience on many occasions from it.  I felt their support was poor and the game was never going to succeed.

I chose to quit that game many months ago...and never gave them my money again. 

You could do the same with Roma Victor....cause they aren't going to change for you....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuestionableQuestionable Member Posts: 653

Yes they need to make some serious changes to the game but I'm sure that even them are aware of the condition it is in and that if it continues this way it will surely fall. Maybe if they just redid their current fighting system to be less skill level based could help bring in some more people and keep the current ones from being bored to death from the major grind.

Originally posted by Kyleran

I really disliked playing VG.  It performed very badly on my PC, I crashed frequently, fell through the game world, and lost experience on many occasions from it.  I felt their support was poor and the game was never going to succeed.
    You could do the same with Roma Victor....cause they aren't going to change for you....

VG sounds exactly like RV then, we get all those issues and then some

Questionable: I really don't think they do at times, we were jsut talking about this on IRC and were saying that its like they add a feature then get ADD and go with another idea, impliment that, rinse repeat. Thus giving us a few features that only half work.

Originally posted by Virtus

Originally posted by Kyleran

VG sounds exactly like RV then, we get all those issues and then some

Questionable: I really don't think they do at times, we were jsut talking about this on IRC and were saying that its like they add a feature then get ADD and go with another idea, impliment that, rinse repeat. Thus giving us a few features that only half work.

If their going to implement a system at the very least they should review it. Just implementing and moving on is a horrible way to do things and it makes me wonder if they even play thier own game anymore.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

I don't see anything wrong with KFR's response, nor is it of 'asshat' quality.  Sorry.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

Originally posted by Cerion

I don't see anything wrong with KFR's response, nor is it of 'asshat' quality.  Sorry.

I think its more of the fact of the lack of response. Even though it was a rant it did bring out somethings that needed to be worked on and I'm sure many people could see that.

Let me quickly get rid of that myth before it spreads. They do fix issues with it, the obvious ones, but if issues pop up while they are making something else chances are they will not fix it.

RB has never played there own game. They have no clue what it is like.

Originally posted by Cerion

didn't see the second page.

When you refuse to acknowledge your game is screwed up when everyone knows it, ya, there is a problem. There are still bugs that have been around since release.

Originally posted by Virtus

Let me quickly get rid of that myth before it spreads. They do fix issues with it, the obvious ones, but if issues pop up while they are making something else chances are they will not fix it.

RB has never played there own game. They have no clue what it is like.

Well perhaps they need to rethink how to do it. A game with 100's of features that do not work right is no better if not worse than a game with a quarter of those features done well.

• VepgenusVepgenus Member Posts: 398

If anyone is an asshat it is Virtus.

He has been complaining and whinning on the RV boards since Favonius little rebellion failed. It is not KFR's fault that your rebellion failed it was the political folly of your leader. Just quit RV if you hate it so much and move on man we are tired of hearing your stupid rants on the RV but please keep them up so your account gets banned and the rest of us can move on.

Virtus and a small minority of players believe that RV is dying, that can be further from the truth. Don't listen to these griefers and unabashed flamers as they have never contributed to Roma Victor nor ever will besides whining when they don't get thier way.

Originally posted by Vepgenus

If anyone is an asshat it is Virtus.
    He has been complaining and whinning on the RV boards since Favonius little rebellion failed. It is not KFR's fault that your rebellion failed it was the political folly of your leader. Just quit RV if you hate it so much and move on man we are tired of hearing your stupid rants on the RV but please keep them up so your account gets banned and the rest of us can move on.
    Virtus and a small minority of players believe that RV is dying, that can be further from the truth. Don't listen to these griefers and unabashed flamers as they have never contributed to Roma Victor nor ever will besides whining when they don't get thier way.

Ah yes, the highly held contributors that KFR loves because they give him money. Your getting me into a flame war, no sirey. However, If i did get banned i assure you it wouldn't be the last of me.

It may or may not be dying but 150 players is surely not thriving.

Griefed?  lol thats a good one, never done it.

Vep, in one year what have they accomplished?

Properly working animal spawns? No

Completely Lag free playing? No

Command typing free play? No

A game with decent FPS? No (they say if your getting 15 thats good)

an MMORPG? no

100% sandbox? No (red VS blue or red and Blue VS Blue in some areas but with consequences as they planned)

able to build on other boards? No (but should be coming soon, 5 months late)

combustability? No (ditto)

Mounts? No

Ranged attacks? No

Long tedious crafting? Yes

• KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122

Virtus belongs to a roman guild that has been almost entirely inactive in game for most of the 14 months since game launch.  They, along with their leader, began to reappear the last couple months and were seen online in Corstopitum more and more.  Then the rants from them in the RV forums started.  Most of them were complaints about all the inequities that existed.  The truth is that this guild, due to their inactivity, had fallen very much behind all the other romans guilds in every category whether it be skills, political influence, housing, or just quantity of material goods. 

So rather than buckle down and get to work, they hatched a plan to launch a rebellion against Rome which simply was not going to work due to game mechanics (Romans can't fight other romans without huge penalties).  The rebellion, backed by a couple barbarian warbands, was actually rather successful for a week.  They managed to win many battles, blockade the iron mine, and convince another roman guild to leave the empire. But, the day that the two largest roman legions marched north together and soundly crushed the rebel forces in a quick battle, the rebellion completely fell apart.  It was over in an instant.  All of the members of Virtus's guild have been exiled as punishment for their deeds.

Now you see Virtus bashing Roma Victor in these forums.  Wow, how unexpected.

So, once again I hope I have done my job here in providing the proper context and setting the record straight.

Some good stuff has been added to Roma Victor in recent patches and the big Escalation update is supposedly coming very soon.  I for one am enjoying the game more than ever and my own guild has never been more active. 

tell me kemarik what is it about RV that you enjoy?

Originally posted by Kemarik

Virtus belongs to a roman guild that has been almost entirely inactive in game for most of the 14 months since game launch.  They, along with their leader, began to reappear the last couple months and were seen online in Corstopitum more and more.  Then the rants from them in the RV forums started.  Most of them were complaints about all the inequities that existed.  The truth is that this guild, due to their inactivity, had fallen very much behind all the other romans guilds in every category whether it be skills, political influence, housing, or just quantity of material goods. 
    So rather than buckle down and get to work, they hatched a plan to launch a rebellion against Rome which simply was not going to work due to game mechanics (Romans can't fight other romans without huge penalties).  The rebellion, backed by a couple barbarian warbands, was actually rather successful for a week.  They managed to win many battles, blockade the iron mine, and convince another roman guild to leave the empire. But, the day that the two largest roman legions marched north together and soundly crushed the rebel forces in a quick battle, the rebellion completely fell apart.  It was over in an instant.  All of the members of Virtus's guild have been exiled as punishment for their deeds.
    Now you see Virtus bashing Roma Victor in these forums.  Wow, how unexpected.
    So, once again I hope I have done my job here in providing the proper context and setting the record straight.
    Some good stuff has been added to Roma Victor in recent patches and the big Escalation update is supposedly coming very soon.  I for one am enjoying the game more than ever and my own guild has never been more active. 

Wow..erm...where to start correcting?

I have been active, logging in alot of times, agreed not every day but that's cuz it isn't worth it and i stayed on the forums, where 99% of the RP goes on so not like i missed anything in game.

We didn't care nor do we care about the penalties, else we wouldn't of done it. It died after that cuz it seemed noone was interested in the idea and no one was catching on.

We were exiled from the first day. For all of you that don't know what exiling does, it stops you from talking to NPC merchants that we don't even use, big whoop.

I complain because KFR doesn't give a dam

Yeah, escaltion is coming very soon, jsut like they said the other 20 times in hte past 5 months it has been delayed, original due date end of march.

• PlancusPlancus Member Posts: 3

As a matter of fact, there will be always those who defend the game.

I don't blame them... in a different time, maybe I would be one of those.

Let's be realistic, though... KFR and RV haven't accomplished much in one year of development.

No "ad hominem" attacks here will work, frankly. But just as an information: the rebellion was actually created to actually bring players back to the game (OOC). It's not like we would get much money or whatever with that. Do you really believe we would have any purpose other than actually having and providing fun for everyone and helping the game with more people logging in? Oh wait, I believe their login handler can't really handle players logging in simultaneously. Don't even get me started on the lag issues in a simple battle with a couple dozen people in a semi-empty area.

However, I bet their VERM money contribution levels have increased at least a little bit during the rebellion. It worked very well for many involved (and RedBedlam was informed of the purpose in advance), but sometimes a handful of players are too narrow-minded for their own sake and do not wish changes - even if it's beneficial for the gameplay.

All in all, I think the It doesn't need any more proof other than the simple phrase: "Look at the number of accounts bought and the active playerbase right now". I wouldn't even call this a MMORPG, unless by "massive" you mean the current activity.

• MrDDTMrDDT Member UncommonPosts: 276

Originally posted by Plancus
    As a matter of fact, there will be always those who defend the game.
    I don't blame them... in a different time, maybe I would be one of those.
    Let's be realistic, though... KFR and RV haven't accomplished much in one year of development.
    No "ad hominem" attacks here will work, frankly. But just as an information: the rebellion was actually created to actually bring players back to the game (OOC). It's not like we would get much money or whatever with that. Do you really believe we would have any purpose other than actually having and providing fun for everyone and helping the game with more people logging in? Oh wait, I believe their login handler can't really handle players logging in simultaneously. Don't even get me started on the lag issues in a simple battle with a couple dozen people in a semi-empty area.
    However, I bet their VERM money contribution levels have increased at least a little bit during the rebellion. It worked very well for many involved (and RedBedlam was informed of the purpose in advance), but sometimes a handful of players are too narrow-minded for their own sake and do not wish changes - even if it's beneficial for the gameplay.
    All in all, I think the It doesn't need any more proof other than the simple phrase: "Look at the number of accounts bought and the active playerbase right now". I wouldn't even call this a MMORPG, unless by "massive" you mean the current activity.

I dont think it helped verm at all and if anything it hurt it.

The fighting wasnt much and it was with people that have had weapons and armor for a long long time.
    RV gets most of its verm money IMO from people renting buildings and buying big things like tents and goats. Making weapons are very little to do with verm IMO.

I mean what are the biggest battles you had? 10v10? Thats nothing. This game is all but dead, the fork has been in it for a while the only people that cant see that are people like Vep.

-MrDDT

• shane910shane910 Member Posts: 359

Spartan here.   Also part of the rebellion. (trying to make RV fun)

Have to agree with Virt 100%.   Anyone that offers a suggestion that would improve upon the game Vep and the rest of the asshat parade hound your posts untill you tell them off accordingly.  At which point they run to KFR and he either locks or delets your post or you may be banned. Since they are the ones paying him they are the only ones he listens to it seems.  

I stopped paying them when I saw they didn't give two shits about the real community that drives their game, altho I had paid enough back at release,that after a year I am still considered a "contributer".  Around $300 or mabe a bit more.

I saw the "potential" this game had/has, but RB and KFR just aren't willing to make the changes the "Majority" are calling for since their "few" paying butt buddies, cry about adding what is needed, saying you want a different game or just want to play solo.

And KFR, he is just lazy it seems.  You can make a solid suggestion and only ask if it is possible and he WILL RESPOND, saying he dosent have time to resopnd.... laughable.   Then locks your post ....   Ohh but he has time to respond to his butt buddies.

Now I don't hate them and still after being ripped off, through their lies that the game had tons of features active in game(that were not),  I would still come back and PAY, if they started listening to the MAJORITY and making changes to make the game more playable for said majority.

I will just go on one point.   

How many times have I asked for NPC sparing partners?  How many dozens of posts of suggestions on them have I offered up?  And how many hunders of new players were asking about training and sparing partners?    And how many hunderds of those new players were run off when they asked and offered suggestions on them, by the butt boyz, screaming go play a solo game noob, or you want to make an entirely new game just go away.... and on and on with the insults.

Seems the money they have invested have them tied to the current crap style game play, as if these changes were made they couldn't use the "edge" they got through investing all that cash , to rip off noobs "as much" so they don't want it ...even if it would bring more players in.  The just want to hold on to the hope that it will get better over time...instead of facing the reality that the game is falling apart and slowly losing the people that were holding it together.

And no I don't consider myself as one of them holding it together.  But Cyne was and others like him that have or are considering leaving.

Shane910/Spartan 

KFR don't want you to know how many people play.

I made a post to an inquiring possible player saying out of about 5600 accounts only about 150 are active, i go back next day y post is gone

Probably a fairly accurate guess there.   But figure at any given time of day you will probably only see about 1/4 or even 1/5th of that online.  Exception peak euro time on the weekend.

Then figure in that the land is so huge(not a bad thing it's self), you hardly run into anyone(or anything), making it a huge barren world.

Couple that with being in a guild of folks that have lives and live em... and you rarely encounter anyone in game ever....

If you could atleast have a NPC sparing partner to pass the time while you wait for other players, when you encounter them in that lag infested battle, you will atleast be able to hold your own instead of being teleported back to the other side of the world after a 15 second fight.   Not so bad if you are skilled up a bit but for new players they have to look at it as a huge turn off... Mainly because of the high cost involved when you lose gear...thats because of the sucky and slow crafting, but I am not going into that subject anymore, to hell with crafting gave up on it.   Like a second RL job, no thanks.  Just fun for me.

And Kemarik, look at your Quote man.  We been in here saying the same things for helluvalot longer than just since the rebelion...  It's just that now folks are getting fed up and hope just aint enough anymore.

I recomend everyone stroll down the old memory lane and read the feature list on the RV site once more, if they haven't changed it to announce their game is not even half finished yet...  probably still plastered with tons of false advertisements.

I will post it, give me a sec.

Sorry this is long, but it is just such a funny read, I mean it is hilarious!!  To think we actually bought all these BOLD FACED LIES!!

Features

* Real-time 'twitch' combat balanced with character skills

All too often we've seen MMORPG combat consisting of toggling combat status and sitting back to watch the fight, occasionally hitting a key to throw in the odd special move. That's why we think the combat in Roma Victor is pretty special. Combat is real-time, often very fast-paced. Sometimes it's quite frenetic and sometimes less so - imagine two experienced gladiators slowly circling around each other between frenzied attacks, for example. Players can aim for specific body parts, alter their style of attack and time their moves just as one might in a real life melee. It's very difficult to describe all the nuances of combat in a couple of paragraphs but if opponents' character skills and equipment are matched then it's all about timing and stamina - if you frantically slash and stab while energetically dancing around your opponent you'll probably find that you get so tired that it makes your opponent's life really easy and they can just step in with one or two well-timed and well-placed attacks that'll take you straight down. Wounds and injuries differ according to the clothing and armour worn, the type of weapon and attack, the strength, constitution and skill of the combatants etc. For example, if you hit someone over the head with a spear it's unlikely to break the skin but it'll still hurt. Thrust your spear at them or hit them over the head with a sword however and it's a very different story.

When incapacitated in combat your character doesn't necessarily die straight away. It'll be laying down unconscious for a short while unless someone administers some basic aid or administers a killing blow, which can only be done when your character is incapacitated. Needless to mention that deathblow sends you straight to Elysium and you'll have to negotiate your way back to the 'real' world. You might also bleed to death, which is why extreme caution should be taken when training with sharp weapons!

* Crafting

The crafting in Roma Victor is truly comprehensive and you'll find a huge amount of resources and components can be put together using the hundreds of related skills. Almost everything in the world can be crafted. For example, having picked up a small wooden stick a player can use their knife to carve a notch in it, thereby crafting a simple handle. This handle could be combined with a sharpened blade to make another knife perhaps. The sharpened blade might come from some raw iron ore that has been smelted into a lump of iron in a furnace, cast into a flat strip in a forge, hammered into blade form at the anvil and then sharpened at a grindstone. As another example, flax can be grown, carefully harvested, left in a muddy retting pit to rot, taken out and dried, heckled into tow fibres with a comb, spun into twine at the distaff and then woven into a linen sheet at a loom. Grain can be milled into flour, which can be mixed with saltwater to form a basic dough, which when left out will go sour. Mix the sour dough with some fresh dough and bake it in an oven to make some bread. Of course a crafter's skill has a substantial effect on the quality of the components or products that they craft and this has a direct bearing on the economic viability of crafting as a whole. There is much, much more to crafting but it's simply beyond the scope of this document. You might like to take a look at the RVWiki for some more ideas.

* Construction

Construction is simply a glorified term for crafting big things! Crafting usually requires a few resources and components, a stationary device (such as a forge, anvil, workbench etc.) and at least one tool of some kind. In addition to that Construction usually involves bringing large amounts of resources and components to the construction site. When building anything from a forge or an oven, up through simple buildings like roundhouses and simple stone huts, all the way up to temples, major buildings, bridges etc. you'll need to ensure you have all the necessary skilled labour and a good supply chain to finish the job. This almost inevitably involves other players and NPC's.

* Player housing

Roma Victor is an extremely open-ended 'sandbox'-style environment. Players can hire structures to live in, build their own or even rent them out to other players. Any structure can be set as public, private or even in some cases have an entry fee.

* Day & Night

There's a realistic day and night cycle that actually tracks the real celestial locations of the sun and moon according to the exact Roma Victor time and day, longitude and latitude - of course adjusted back to the second century calendar! We've accelerated the passage of time of course (it's set to 24 RV hours every 8 real-life hours) but night-time is still something to be very wary off unless you're somewhere safe - and you're going to need a torch!

* Open PvP and safe areas

Certain areas are well policed by representatives of Roman law, be they Prefects, Auxiliaries, Legionaries or even Praetorians. In some places it's completely impossible to break the laws; in some places you can attempt it but it's extremely difficult to get away with and in some places you're beyond the reach of the law altogether. This allows for a seamless blend of PvP and non-PvP environments with no real faction restrictions. Obviously Romans have a hard time getting away with crimes committed against fellow Romans - but it is possible in some circumstances. Don't go thinking that anything considered part of the Empire is safe however - even some parts of Italia itself might still be dangerous areas for a lone Roman to visit.

* No levelling treadmill

There are no character levels in Roma Victor. None. Instead there's the huge, diverse skill tree. There are no level-based restrictions by design or consequence like you'll find in most MMORPG's. You won't be forced to find people of a similar level in order to play in a group and you won't be restricted to certain types of encounter. Of course this also means that you won't be trying to catch up with friends that have played more than you (and therefore 'levelled' faster), or indeed trying to slow your own development and/or 'level up' your friends so that they can come and hunt with you again. Character development in Roma Victor is much more like real life.

* Realistic character limitations

In Roma Victor, as in real life, your skills and personal statistics decay. This means that without practice your character's ability in a given skill will worsen. If, for example, as a newbie you spent a lot of time developing your combat skills but then moved on to focus on your farming you'd find that your combat abilities decreased over time. You can easily counter this by regular combat training but it makes the prospect of juggling several careers quite daunting. Anyone trying to be a gladiator/cook/farmer/smith/potter/priest/carpenter/whatever-type character will find it near impossible to become highly adept at all of the involved skills.

* Wounds, Injuries & Treatment

In combat, characters can sustain both wounds and injuries. Wounds decrease your character's six Attributes (Muscle, Vision, Agility, Dexterity, Intuition and Stamina), which can have a significant effect on the character's skills and activities. Wounds heal slowly over time although the healing process can be greatly hastened with the right medical treatment. Injuries are more serious and usually more debilitating. Characters with serious injuries will definitely be seeking medical attention.

* No camping

Here we're referring of course to the MMORPG term 'camping' and not sleeping out in the wilderness. There will be plenty of the latter! There are however no fixed regular spawns, no uber loot drops and no reasons to find yourself having to sit at a certain location waiting for hours on end for your group's turn to kill something and loot it. The world is dynamic and varied and NPC's have their own 'lives'. If you run into some bandits on the road between Corstopitum and Luguvallium then that's because those bandits are 'working the road' and they'll be doing so until killed, captured (and usually sold) or chased off.

* Fully freeform gameplay

There's plenty to do in Roma Victor but no one's forcing you to do anything. To as great an extent as possible, you are in control of your own destiny. Your choices, career path, activities and actions are all down to you, limited only by your own imagination and the harsh realities of a second century existence.

* Historical authenticity

In the most important areas the maps are based on real world archaeological data (modified to disallow anything later than the second century of course). Both the extended RedBedlam team and Roma Victor's outstandingly well-informed community have invested years of painstaking research into bringing unprecedented levels of detail to the historical authenticity of this world. Buildings follow the correct floor-plans; equipment and clothing is appropriate for the period and region; crafting activities, trading practices, combat styles - every aspect of the world that you can think of are all based upon what is known, expected and believed about life in second century Europe.

* Many communities, one world

We've seen in many virtual worlds that a small community that usually consists of a few hundred people online at any one time is a healthy, strong and exciting community to be a part of. A single community consisting of thousands of players online together often shatters that sense of community and ends up leaving players alienated and out of touch with each other. With Roma Victor's design there is one single world in which all players can co-exist, yet the right scale of community is maintained thanks in part to the vast geography involved. Roma Victor's single world will consist of hundreds of communities varying in size but never being totally prevented or excluded from contact with each other. There's nothing to stop players from travelling to a new part of the world and becoming part of a community there - unlike most MMORPG's where switching servers simply isn't possible; and in the rare cases that it is possible it almost inevitably involves a great deal of upheaval.

* Furniture & Decoration

Buildings have been purposefully designed without much in the way of integrated decoration and this allows much more freedom for the players to furnish and decorate their households as they'd like. An ever-growing range of furniture, banners, statues, mosaics etc. lets players ensure that their home is both stylish and unique.

* Clothing & Armour

The broad range of clothing and armour, all of which is both historically authentic and appropriate is expanding all the time. Furs, hides, plant-fibre textiles, metals and alloys can all be crafted into wearable items and this natural diversity yields substantial variation in character appearances. This is not another cookie-cutter medieval fantasy world however and players should not expect everyone to be wearing banded mail armour and wielding crossbows! Life in the second century is harsh and even a good sword is a highly prized and valued item.

* Realistic avatar characteristics

Characters in Roma Victor are not all created equal. During character creation, players can decide the balance of six physical attributes, which can be considered similar to summaries of that character's genetic composition. Balancing Muscle, Vision, Agility, Dexterity, Intuition and Stamina will give you a well-balanced character but you can alter the balance to suit your wishes. It's worth bearing in mind however that characters with low Muscle attributes will find it harder, but never impossible, to become very strong. As in real life, you can come across people with a low genetic tendency for muscle development that have nevertheless hefted weights for most of their lives and are therefore very strong. Similarly you can find people that have an extremely good genetic tendency for muscle development that have hardly ever stretched their muscles and are therefore pretty weak by comparison.

* Lore

Some say that the rituals, prayers and sacrifices made by the various religious orders and cults are nothing but fruitless wastes of time. Some say that these forms of worship can yield great benefits and that they may potentially be the most powerful aspect of life in Roma Victor. The truth of the matter will hopefully remain as lively a debate in-game as it is in the real world to this day.

* Elysium

Death for whatever reason is not to be taken lightly. Unless your character has attained the (optional) 'Legend' class it will be instantly whisked away to the mysterious wonders of Elysium where your character will have to navigate its way through fantastic landscapes, puzzles, physical challenges, demons and duels. Those that have led a simple life can expect a relatively painless and trouble-free journey through Elysium and will soon find themselves licking their wounds back in the safety of their hometown. Characters that have led less virtuous lives can expect to have a much tougher time in Elysium and are therefore likely to take longer to return.

* Weight

Every object in Roma Victor has a weight. Weight has the consequences you might expect. Characters can only carry so much weight, pack animals can be overloaded and every time your character lifts or carries something heavy, it'll be stretching its muscles and therefore has a chance of improving its strength.

* Liquids

Liquids such as water and olive oil and liquid containers such as jugs and amphorae are essential aspects of ancient life - particularly where crafting activities are concerned. The liquid support in Roma Victor is more involved than simply providing pretty rivers, lakes, beaches and waterways. Drinking or tending your crops with saltwater is pretty futile, for example.

* Shops

Shops provide goods and services but the goods involved have to come from somewhere and the services supplied require skilled labour. Both player shops and NPC shops depend upon good supply and management in order to thrive and there's nothing to stop enterprising players building up their own chains of shops - so long as they're sure that they can keep them staffed, supplied and safe.

* Resources & Trade

The resources in Roma Victor, as with the resources in real life, mostly come out of the ground. They are either brought out by NPC's or by player characters and everything from straw up to gold will play its role. Players and NPC's alike will interact in diverse networks of trade and commerce.

* Elders & Masters

Elders and Masters are the NPC's that greet you when you first arrive in the world of Roma Victor. They'll guide you, tell you what you can do and how to do it. They'll also set you your first quests and they'll be keeping notes about how you perform various different types of quests, tasks and errands. If you seem to complete the smithing-related activities more quickly and successfully than other types of activity, for example, then your Elder/Master will begin to realise and gradually direct you to ever-more intricate and challenging activities of that nature.

* Game mail

The game mail system in Roma Victor gives players the freedom to communicate using 21st century technology while maintaining the illusion and atmosphere of 2nd century communications. Players can read, compose, reply, forward etc. but the transport and delivery of the mail itself factors in the ancient time and distance restrictions and requires interaction with the appropriate kind of NPC's (representatives of the cursus publicus, tabellarii, etc.).

* Ranged chat

As with real life, there are different types of communication consisting of saying, shouting, screaming etc. Saying things works very well for those in your immediate surroundings but as people get further away or enter buildings they'll no longer be able to hear things you 'say'. If you want them to hear you, you'll have to 'shout' but not only is the amount of text you can fit into one 'shout' less than the amount you can fit into a single 'say' but also shouting is more draining your character's vigour. Screaming takes a lot of vigour but it can be heard quite a considerable distance away although you'll only be able to scream a single short word.

* Socials & Animations

Whether it be Roman military salutes, laughing, crying, yawning, taunting, cheering, clapping etc. there are around 200 unique character animations to choose from to help maintain the atmosphere and bring your character to life.

* An ever-growing range of characters, faces and ethnicities

At the time of writing there are around a hundred different character appearances and well over a dozen different ethnicities. A character's body shape will be a direct result of their diet and activities so you can expect to spot the richer merchants from a mile away. Combining the increasing range of character appearances with all the different types of dyed cloth, fur and hide clothing and armours of bronze and iron players will have considerable freedoms in choosing their appearance.

* Badges, Reputations, Friends and Foes

Players can also define their overall opinion of another player as a friend, a foe or ambivalent. Such systems of 'social moderation' are already used to great effect elsewhere on the 'Net and have demonstrated their ability to both help form social networks and identify trouble-makers. This system is combined with sophisticated 'badge' and dynamic reputation systems to give both players and NPC's alike a pretty good idea of how (in)famous, (un)popular and/or accomplished another player character may be.

* Encounters

Using Reputations, Friends and Foes, Badges etc. NPC's can get a pretty good idea of who you are and what your character is about. So long as they have no reason to dislike you, your interaction with most NPC's should be fairly pleasant. They'll converse with you and may even trade depending on whether they actually have any money, goods or services to trade. Alternatively they may be more inclined to come running at you with axe swinging. Throughout your travels in Roma Victor - particularly off the beaten track - you are likely to encounter NPC's that have an irrational desire for your belongings. Alternatively you may simply come across a bear or a pack of wolves, equally keen to attack yet less interested in your goods. In either scenario fight or flight becomes a decision that should be taken pretty quickly.

* Weather

Europe wouldn't be Europe if it didn't experience a broad range of weather types and various visual and audio effects such as wind, rain and snow etc. really help to set the scene. But it's not just for show - cold and wet weather can have a modest but adverse affect on your character, particularly if it's not wearing enough clothing or is underfed. However the patterns in which storms and weather fronts roll around the Roma Victor map are not entirely random and it's even possible to evade the worst weather if you can work out in which direction it's travelling.

* Tracking

Tracking is an extremely useful branch of the skill tree greatly aiding the hunting of wildlife and even humans. Players can use their character's tracking skills to hunt enemies, seek encounters and find prey, whether that prey be intended for wearing or eating!

* Diet

Without food and water your character will suffer the consequences. Although nowhere near as dire as such consequences can be in real life, those players interested in maintaining efficient character development will definitely want to keep their characters well fed. Different types of foods can have very subtle effects, but the most noticeable effects will come from alcohol, stale food and poisons.

* Guilds

The term 'guilds' can be applied to all of the player associations in Roma Victor ranging from small exclusive cults, through whole barbarian tribes and right up to the awesome 6000-strong Legions of Rome itself. Guilds in Roma Victor are not exclusively made up of players - the numbers can be augmented by NPC members, which can be hired and assigned to various roles and tasks by the higher ranking guild members, perhaps protecting the guild's property, carrying out assignments or simply acting as a merchant on behalf of the guild. The guild management interface also provides tools for communicating with and managing guildmembers, assigning individual sponsors to look after new members, adjusting contributions and fees and much more. For more information about guilds please visit: http://www.roma-victor.com/game/guilds.php

* Households

Every player has their own Household - it's a bit like a 'personal' guild. Household is the collective term applied to all the buildings and NPC's owned, employed and/or run by the player. There can be many buildings and NPC's within a household and using the built-in household management interface a player can set entry fees on their property, assign NPC's to act as merchants or guards, summon NPC's as an escort, hire and dismiss staff etc.

* News networks

NPC's will faithfully recount stories from their travels and encounters, both based on the in-game story arc and the activities of the players themselves. Additionally a network of storyteller NPC's will provide an immersive interface to a modern message-board style network of news services whereby players can keep up to date on the activities of their friends and enemies, not to mention contributing their own perspective.

* Law & Politics

Already players are taking up key roles such as Lords, Ladies and Magistrates. These powerful positions are elected by local communities within the game world although the elections certainly wouldn't meet modern democratic standards. Corruption, violence and other power struggles all help to ensure that all of the dynamics of 2nd Century politics are well represented!

* Quests

The quest system in Roma Victor is dynamic and personalised. Quests are intricately linked with the NPC's and players that set them and can themselves often lead to further and more challenging quests. NPC's set quests according to a number of criteria including the levels of resources and goods in the area, any hostilities, emergencies etc.

* Interactive story arc

Our story begins with the death of the philosopher Emperor Marcus Aurelius. One of the first acts of his son Commodus upon assuming sole leadership of the Empire was to send the stern and infamously heavy-handed Lucius Ulpius Marcellus to put down the rebellions in Britannia and oppose any further incursions across Hadrian's wall. Will the barbarians be able to withstand the attentions of this cruel Roman or will he be able to swiftly and successfully assert his authority and therefore confirm that he is the most likely candidate to become Governor of Britannia?

* Combustibles

Almost every object in Roma Victor has a combustibility factor, which means fires can be started pretty well anywhere and can even get out of control if not attended quickly enough. This also means of course that people can gather around campfires and bonfires for warmth and flames can be passed on and just as in real life, you can light a torch from pretty well any substantial flame and then use that torch to light anything dry and combustible enough.

* First & Third-person perspective

The game is naturally played in first-person perspective placing the player 'within' the body of the player's character but there is a third-person perspective option too for those that prefer it. However there are some limitations evident while using the third-person perspective (it makes combat much harder and is disabled altogether inside buildings).

* 3D audio

A sophisticated 3D sound engine makes the most of modern 3D sound hardware and really brings Roma Victor's audio to life. The geographically and historically correct species of birds and other fauna supply an ambient chorus of sounds and you're more likely to hear someone creeping up behind you in dry woodland or on wet mud than you are if they're treading on soft grass, for example.

* South Caledonia

At the moment the playable area is limited to one playfield, which is Southern Caledonia. The Southern Caledonia playfield actually consists of a pretty substantial area, which includes a fair section of Northern Britannia. As well as containing a selection of minor Roman and Celtic Briton settlements it also features two fully Romanised towns - Luguvalium and Corstopitum - and of course Hadrian's Wall itself, which is easily one of the most impressive and formidable landmarks ever constructed in ancient Europe. North of the Wall is a very interesting part of the world indeed and the northern-most regions of this playfield are well beyond the reaches of Rome, which is a very good thing from the perspective of the Scots and Picts that dwell there!

* SpeedTreeRT™

SpeedTreeRT™ has made it possible for us to not only enjoy realistic and visually stunning tree and plant-life but also to maintain the authenticity we strive for in all aspects of the project. You won't see any species of tree that didn't exist in any given region during our particular period but you will see an abundance of what was known to have flourished yielding an excellent mix of fibres, barks and wood types for the players to put to good use in their crafting activities.

* Dynamic lighting & Shadows

The ancient world had two primary sources of light: fire and the sun. As the sun arcs across the sky on a clear day you'll see its shadow move and even be able to read the sundials. Haven't got a sundial? Stick your spear in the ground and observe its shadow. Torches and fires illuminate their surroundings and cast their own shadows.

* Patch system

Every time testers connect to the world using our patch utility, any required updates are downloaded and seamlessly installed thereby ensuring that all of your client files are the latest available versions.

Upcoming features:

* Britannia

Using authentic terrain topology, the hills, rivers, flora and valleys of the 2nd Century British landscape are being brought back to life. From the wild untamed north, past the mighty fortifications of Hadrian's wall and all the way to the south coast, including many towns and settlements such as Luguvalium, Corstopitum, Eboracum, Londinum, Aquae Sulis, Neomagus etc. you'll find a deeply fascinating and truly exciting world to explore.

* Battles & Raids

In the more hazardous parts of the world, there are likely to be regular battles and raids in which players can take up the central roles. Acting as General, Commander, Soldier or Skirmisher players can work together and against each other in epic battles and skirmishes involving both players and NPC's. For more information see: http://www.roma-victor.com/game/cnc.php

* Player music

The player music system in Roma Victor is probably the most sophisticated player music system in any contemporary virtual world. A broad range of authentic ancient musical instruments have been painstakingly brought back to life, each with their own unique set of notes. Player musicians can learn songs, play together and entertain the masses in full 3D sound. No musical knowledge is required to join in and the more you play a particular instrument, the better your character's skill with it will become, meaning less mistakes and bigger tips!

* Permanent death for Legend-class characters

* Careers & Missions

* Animal taming & breeding

* Mounts

* Gaul

* Germania

* Hispania

* Italia

Those that never played RV read that and are like,  "Finally the game I been waiting for!!!"   Those of us that have played it are more like,  "I CALL BULLSHIT!!!"

Supposed to be in game at release, not in game mabe 1 1/2 to 2 yrs down the road... even the basic crap like bows or animals that work or that you might, oh I don't know, SEE JUST ONCE!!

But even after having been spat in the face with those lies and buying the game, We still stick arround with hope that the developers will listen to us and make the game worth playing.   But seems all we encounter are locked threads and delayed promises, while the majority of the players have left or are thinking of leaving because they are being ignored, in favor of the few that are paying RB so they can maintain their iron grip of power over the stray noob that wanders into the game for a few days.

Its is what it is though I guess.  Mabe one day it will be playable to a point where you can have fun.  I for one will hold out hope, but man I gotta tell ya I am sick to my stomach about this game.  Al the potential is just wasting away as the days tick on.

Shane

Oh here is one that is on the point...

* Law & Politics

Already players are taking up key roles such as Lords, Ladies and Magistrates. These powerful positions are elected by local communities within the game world although the elections certainly wouldn't meet modern democratic standards. Corruption, violence and other power struggles all help to ensure that all of the dynamics of 2nd Century politics are well represented!

Except rebelion

This discussion has been closed.