Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of game play does GW support?

A while back, I was interested in getting Guild Wars. A friend told me not to bother since it was a pure PvP game with just enough PvE to get to max level so you could PvP. I'm not much for char based PvP even though I did macro off many a red name in UO. I guess that EQ style "play your role" PvP just doesn't do it for me.

I also heard that the game play style of GW is not like the EQ clones that seem so prevalent these days and lord knows I'm tired of those recycled games.

While searching for something new, I running into posts about how GW does have a PvE element to it and a pretty good one at that. Now I'm confused.

Is GW a pure PvP game? Is it a PvE game with PvP added on or is it an even blend of both? Just looking to see if I need to take a contract out on my friend or not.

Thanks!

Comments

• Nevermind. I found my answer.

The search tool is your friend as is Google.

Looks like I'm going to have to play this game so I'm at the point where I need to find the ceapest deal to get all the boxes at one time. Hopefully search will be my friend again

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

As far as I know, there has never been a compilation box for Guild Wars. You have to buy each box separately. The good news is, you don't need all the boxes. Just buy whatever box is the most recent and you'll be fine.

• xankriegorxankriegor Member UncommonPosts: 49

You could probably buy the First, Second and third Campaign in bargain bins on almost all game stores.

And even though it's too late to say this, Guild Wars does have a good PvE element. Plenty of quests, missions and sights to see :)

• I think I will buy and play the game as it was released.

Start out with the first, go to the next, etc. By starting so late I may manage to keep just a little behind each release. At the same time as the games get older the price goes down. Works for me!

• DauthixDauthix Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by Malkosha

I think I will buy and play the game as it was released.
    Start out with the first, go to the next, etc. By starting so late I may manage to keep just a little behind each release. At the same time as the games get older the price goes down. Works for me!

That's the best plan, I think.  On a side note, I hardly ever PvP in GW.  The PvE is fine....and I like the story, too.

My current Guild Wars character:

Dauthix The Avenger (Paragon/Ranger)

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219

I don't think there is a cheapest deal.  The online store has the same price as retail stores.

• xankriegorxankriegor Member UncommonPosts: 49

Actually there is a cheaper deal.

You can buy older games with cheaper price on some stores.

The first chapter of GW and probably Factions is old enough to be in bargain bins I suppose.

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

Get the Platinum Edition (is it out yet?), as it contains Prophecies (the first and IMO best campaign) and the new GW:EN expansion.

• YemenYemen Member Posts: 6

If you are looking for PvE experiment, the platinum edition is a good choice. First play through the original Prophechies campaign and then move forward to recently released Eye of the North -game continent, which is aimed for high level characters only. It has lots of challenges and pretty high difficulty level so it will keep you intrested for a long time for sure.

That box has plenty of quality PvP and PvE experiments to offer.

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

I forgot to mention: GW combat is action-counter-countercounter based, with a Magic: The Gathering taste in it.

• Gu1ltyGu1lty Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Malkosha

Nevermind. I found my answer.
    The search tool is your friend as is Google.

Looks like I'm going to have to play this game so I'm at the point where I need to find the ceapest deal to get all the boxes at one time. Hopefully search will be my friend again

Yes, good way to get into it. No need to get the others right away unless you are just a little bored with the og. I have to say though, a player of 2+ years I have yet to get bored of this game. I am a big pvp fan so this really hits the spot, but if you are more of a WoW style player there are elements of that too.

If you want my advice, and many dont  , get Nightfall as the first compilation and try it before you move on. I think its the most expensive but worth it. Think of it as the Burning Crusade of GW, but better 

If you need some assistance or a guild sent me a whisper in game...IGN: Xan Hades

good luck