Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Trollslayers = The suck...

I can't believe they don't let you make trollslayers....

This upset me so much it took months for me to pay attention to the damn game again.  The only thing that will get me to play it now is if they allow them as a prestige class or upper tier class or hero class or something.

Why do away with something that has MADE this game popular?  It just seems stupid to me.

The classes for dwarves look silly to be honest.  Where is the kewlness factor for the Light side.  Why play anything other than destruction?

Comments

• I guess you never heard about The Naked Dwarf Syndrome. One of the more "annoying" problems with the warhammer  system.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Slayers do not really fit in the game if you know their lore.

A Dwarf becomes a Slayer after he has suffered a great shame, gone out in into the world to fight like a maniac in the hopes of obtaining an honourable death, and survived these battles.

This sort of character does not fit very well in WAR due to the circumstances in becoming one and his relative eagerness to die - I do not think EA Mythic wants a character in the game who is practically begging for a death. In addition, they have always seemed to come across as quite rare and quite solitary, and this is a social game. I do not think a Slayer would run around doing silly quests for people.

In the end, I pretty much agree with their decision and feel the other professions are pretty cool, especially the Ironbreaker.

The only way I could see a Slayer being added and making sense is if it were added like Death Knights in WoW, but strictly as an evolution of a Dwarf, since newb Slayers make no sense. Still, I think that system is also dumb and do not want to see prestige/hero/whatever classes of any kind.

• dsebutchrdsebutchr Member Posts: 245

Slayers fit perfectly if you really know their lore as opposed to just the muck you can find online. 

Slayers are regularly used in dwarven armies as shock troops.  Please refer to the armies books from the tabletop game or the roleplaying game character career section.

If you read any of the books, Michael Kings slayer series...one of the most popular series by the way, or the book Grudgebearer which is specifically noted in the remarks about the game from the developers, you would know that Slayers were present in the army of the King who held the pass against the 2nd orcish invasion.

Slayers regularly take on the most dangerous quests for notables throughout the old empire in numerous books and novels.   Slayers are found facing orcs and chaos on a regular basis in this world.

Mythic chose to ignore this "Lore".  Which makes no sense to me because they even choose to put a Slayer as the main dwarven character in their freakin Cinematic preview movie....

And then they leave them out completely from the game.  Not to mention if the Dwarven Kingdom ever fell as their storyline says, the Slayer King would bring an Army of slayers to take it back!  This is the FIRST thing that would happen.  Anyone familiar with the world knows this. 

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by dsebutchr

The classes for dwarves look silly to be honest.  Where is the kewlness factor for the Light side.  Why play anything other than destruction?

First off -- I would think that some classes would have to be reserved for content additions, expansions and future development.  So, everything will not be seen at once.

People love Dwarves.  I don't, but others do.  Ironbreaker, Hammerer, Runepriest and Engineer.  I think if you love Dwarves probably this has plenty of coolness factor ... but I will let others say if the Dwarf classes are truly cool since I have never been greatly attracted to them.

However, my personal guess-timate is that many people will play Human (Order) from which you can choose Bright Wizard (cool), Warrior Priest (cool), Witch Hunter (wicked cool) and Knight of the Blazing Sun (super-cool).  

Other people love Elves and from them you get to be (known classes) Swordmaster (ultra-cool) and Archmage (mega-cool).  The other two classes remain to be seen.

So, overall, I think there is plenty of "coolness factor" in Order, but the Number One Mr. Cool is undoubtedly:

~ The WITCH HUNTER

This is Hugh Jackman's "Van Helsing" character with the fancy weapons, long overcoat and the HAT!  (Can't forget the hat!)

The Witch Hunter just oozes super-colossal-mega-coolness.

Where's the coolness factor?

Wide-brimmed hat, skull-and-sword emblem on hat, bandolero across chest, throwing daggers on gauntlets, crossed pistols on waist, scrolls and potions attached in various places, sword and pistol wielded, metal spikes on boots!

Heh, you're looking at the coolness factor!

Figuring that just about everybody is going to have a Witch Hunter on their character selection screen!

(Note: I used a concept art picture because the screenshots are way, way to big for this message board.  You can view the screenshots of Witch Hunters on the Official Site.)

~ Ancient Membership ~

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

And then they leave them out completely from the game.  Not to mention if the Dwarven Kingdom ever fell as their storyline says, the Slayer King would bring an Army of slayers to take it back!  This is the FIRST thing that would happen.  Anyone familiar with the world knows this. 

But the Dwarf kingdom has not fallen, which is a problem with that theory. It is on the edge of collapse, as is every city in the game, and the storyline rests on that, not on the fact that anything has collapsed, though they do in normal play. But, then everything is reset, and you carry on as though it basically never happened. We are frozen in time on the brink.

And again, Slayers are in armies - of course. If not, they'd not have been written about in Warhammer as the whole game revolves around units used in an army. But, as I said, they are not supposed to be an abundant profession you see running around doing quests in a newb area. They are an elite squadron and thus being reduced to a common thing you see running around in newb zones is not fitting.

A Slayer is supposed to be fighting, fighting, and fighting some more, not hamming it up with common soldiers. EA Mythic has stressed they want to keep this unit special and unique, and thus it will be an NPC only, as having players play it to death ruins the mystique. It makes no sense to be running into 300 other Slayers in every zone.

Then again, that does not make much sense for a lot of professions, as well, but I suppose in some cases there was little choice.

• pinwormpinworm Member Posts: 3

I say they add slayers, but they cannot wear any amor and cannot be healed in combat. They can also not be resurrected or respawn. Basically hardcore mode.

• TenebrosoTenebroso Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by SpiritofGame

First off -- I would think that some classes would have to be reserved for content additions, expansions and future development.  So, everything will not be seen at once.

People love Dwarves.  I don't, but others do.  Ironbreaker, Hammerer, Runepriest and Engineer.  I think if you love Dwarves probably this has plenty of coolness factor ... but I will let others say if the Dwarf classes are truly cool since I have never been greatly attracted to them.

However, my personal guess-timate is that many people will play Human (Order) from which you can choose Bright Wizard (cool), Warrior Priest (cool), Witch Hunter (wicked cool) and Knight of the Blazing Sun (super-cool).  

Other people love Elves and from them you get to be (known classes) Swordmaster (ultra-cool) and Archmage (mega-cool).  The other two classes remain to be seen.

So, overall, I think there is plenty of "coolness factor" in Order, but the Number One Mr. Cool is undoubtedly:

~ The WITCH HUNTER

This is Hugh Jackman's "Van Helsing" character with the fancy weapons, long overcoat and the HAT!  (Can't forget the hat!)

The Witch Hunter just oozes super-colossal-mega-coolness.

Where's the coolness factor?  Heh, you're looking at it!

this artwork is freaking awesome...love it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Mythic chose to ignore this "Lore". 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but making a good, balanced PVP game that earns Mythic bunches o' cash is their primary goal.

"Adherence to Lore" is way down the list of importance for myself and pretty much 80% (warning, made up number) of the potential player base. 

Don't take it so seriously.... this has the potential to be a really fun game.... don't say you're going to pass just because your favorite race or arch type isn't going to be included in the initial release.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheFonzV2.0TheFonzV2.0 Member Posts: 198

If they add Slayers they must be perma death classes.

Bollocks!

• jor8888jor8888 Member Posts: 378

I bet they are saving some of the cooler ones for expansion or hero class.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

Slayers fit perfectly if you really know their lore as opposed to just the muck you can find online. 
    Slayers are regularly used in dwarven armies as shock troops.  Please refer to the armies books from the tabletop game or the roleplaying game character career section.

If you read any of the books, Michael Kings slayer series...one of the most popular series by the way, or the book Grudgebearer which is specifically noted in the remarks about the game from the developers, you would know that Slayers were present in the army of the King who held the pass against the 2nd orcish invasion.
    Slayers regularly take on the most dangerous quests for notables throughout the old empire in numerous books and novels.   Slayers are found facing orcs and chaos on a regular basis in this world.
    Mythic chose to ignore this "Lore".  Which makes no sense to me because they even choose to put a Slayer as the main dwarven character in their freakin Cinematic preview movie....

One good reason not to include slayers as playable is because everyone would be one, and they're supposed to be rare.  Your way sends the lore out the window.  not theirs.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• EmmericEmmeric Member Posts: 54

Saying the words Mythic and balanced pvp in the same sentance is a joke..

Daoc proved that theory 

• badgerbadgerbadgerbadger Member Posts: 148

well

i could say the same thing about the chaos "chosen"

in my opinion both should be 'earned' - like prestige classes.

i fear that the gameplay model they are entertaining; however; is based around the rock-scissors-paper of game balance and may well not have room for such.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

This upset me so much it took months for me to pay attention to the damn game again.  The only thing that will get me to play it now is if they allow them as a prestige class or upper tier class or hero class or something.

Why do away with something that has MADE this game popular?  It just seems stupid to me.

i don't think promoting suecide in a videogame is a good thing... And if they ad slayers the need to add wardancers and flagelants and dragonriders and so on and so forth.... Basicly your opinion has been noted. But the lack of slayers(who in the end just wish to die) is in no way a disaster... i got over the fact that there are no wood elfs.. you will get over the lack of slayers.

This have been a good conversation

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

I agree with TheFonz - make this a prestige type class that has permadeath.  Of course they can be resurrected by other healers, but they cannpt respawn . This rez also has a permanent price.  Perhaps their morale is less each time or the cost of their action points go higher, etc. 

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Actually slayers are not removed from the game, they exist in the form of NPCs around, they are just non-playable.

The problem with slayers it that they wish to die. You WILL die in WAR, but not in a permanent fashion, so making the slayer oath basically impossible to fulfill.

Anyhow, the devs said it might get introduced in an expansion as some sort of advanced or basic class.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• SarocSaroc Member UncommonPosts: 37

For all we know, prestige/hero classes might already be planned for in retail. Just because it isn't spoken of, doesn't mean it isn't there. Yea, it's unlikely, i know. But one can always hope, eh?

• midwestnetsmidwestnets Member CommonPosts: 81

Trollslayers and Witchhunters were always my favorites too.  At least I got one of them.

<sniff>

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

OH NO no trollslayers!!! I guess the game's doomed then :(

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• The problem with the implementation of slayers is that they are pursuing death - when slayers join a battle, dwarfs often stand back and wait while the slayers charge, let the slayers die with honor, then engage the (often shaken) enemy. Having a bunch of living slayers around is problematic.

What I would love to see is slayer status used as a way to retire the character in glory: when a player decides he's done playing his Dwarf, let him go to the slayer keep, take the oath, lose his armor, and strip him of respawn (after he takes the oath, death becomes permanent). Include a massive tomb in slayer keep where dead slayers are kept in order of their achievement - the guys who lasted the longest or managed the most kills while under the slayer oath stored in the place of highest honor (maybe with access to their tome of knowledge kill list - eg, he killed a dragon while under the slayer oath!)

• SykomykeSykomyke Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by Battlekruse

The problem with the implementation of slayers is that they are pursuing death - when slayers join a battle, dwarfs often stand back and wait while the slayers charge, let the slayers die with honor, then engage the (often shaken) enemy. Having a bunch of living slayers around is problematic.

What I would love to see is slayer status used as a way to retire the character in glory: when a player decides he's done playing his Dwarf, let him go to the slayer keep, take the oath, lose his armor, and strip him of respawn (after he takes the oath, death becomes permanent). Include a massive tomb in slayer keep where dead slayers are kept in order of their achievement - the guys who lasted the longest or managed the most kills while under the slayer oath stored in the place of highest honor (maybe with access to their tome of knowledge kill list - eg, he killed a dragon while under the slayer oath!)

Probably a bad idea, then you'd get people who take this "slayer oath" and then just group up with a healer and request them to keep them alive at all quests blah blah blah...etc etc.  The point is it'll create problems with people afraid to die, and this is a PvP oriented game...you are going to die...period.

~~Internet gaming is not for the faint of heart or the dumb of mind.~~

• TyfreakyTyfreaky Member Posts: 239

This has been a issue from day one:

Paul has already stated they could not put in even 1/10th of the classes that they wanted to, the went with 4 iconic classes in each race. And especially with the dwarves quite a few of the classes were amalgams or constructs of many archetypal classes.

Honestly with only 4 classes per race , there is very little chance that everyone will be happy and get exactly what they want. Writing off the game because it does not have the one class you want is pretty shallow.

Not only must EA/Mythic make hard choices about what classes to make they also have to go through Games Workshop on just about every detail of development. if you had  botherd to keep current on the game you would know how often Paul has to fight/beg GW to allow in certain things.

And really, there is an very good chance that it was not EA/Mythic who removed the slayer as a possible class, there is an equally good or better chance that GW did not want the slayer as a playable character for their own reasons.

• SykomykeSykomyke Member Posts: 116

Also you have to look at it from a marketing stand point as well.  They have left (in my opinion) plenty of room for at least 1 new archetype to be added to each race in their first expansion.  Expansions sell better if they have something major to add to the game and character classes are definitly something major...

~~Internet gaming is not for the faint of heart or the dumb of mind.~~

• badgerbadgerbadgerbadger Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by Battlekruse

The problem with the implementation of slayers is that they are pursuing death - when slayers join a battle, dwarfs often stand back and wait while the slayers charge, let the slayers die with honor, then engage the (often shaken) enemy. Having a bunch of living slayers around is problematic.

I just think thats a great idea.

Hope someone with more pull than i notices it.

• UlrikUlrik Member Posts: 49

you have to remember this MIGHT I repeat MIGHt not have been mythics choice to exclude them from the release of the game. Could have been Games Workshop.

But anyway, I agree would have been cool to see them in the game, but with the classes which mythic has released so far it just wouldnt fit in with what there looking for right now. I would expect the class to be in a future expansion along with 2 new races aswell WHICH WONT BE GAY AND WONT HAVE CLASSES FROM OTHER SIDES!

You gotta think what other classes should have been in the game?