Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can someone explain the pvp system to me?

I will more than likely be a froob...what can I expect from in-game pvp? I view pve as simply a tool to greater success in pvp, until the day that mmo's basic gameplay can become fun...

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

Comments

• ArKaneArKane Member UncommonPosts: 54

IMHO, as a froob, your opportunities for pvp will be few and far between, except for specific classes (trader, fixer) with specific gear (Pump Trainee/Master, Grid armor) at very specific level ranges. After, say, lvl 100-150 (out of 200 for froobs, 220 for subscribers) the advantage payed players have in perks, and gear will start skyrocketing, and your chance for survival at pvp will rapidly approach zero. Its still POSSIBLE for, say, an Agent with massive aimed shots to steal a kill or 2 in a mass pvp situation, but in a direct 1vs1 encounter, its lights out.

Most pvp in AO, other than casual duels, is centered around towers (parcels of land that organizations can control for themselves) and battlestations (used to grind 'victory points' which arent a concern for free players). It's limited by level ranges, so for example, at level 60, you can only attack players between 48-75. Also, the game works off the concept of 'suppresion gas', which restricsts where you can openly pvp someone(25% gas and lower = free-for-all for the most part); however, you can through certain means get 'flagged' which means anyone within your pvp level range can attack you (unless its 100% gas, where theres no fighting allowed at all). Once youve educated yourself about the game, and can accept the fact that your survivability in pvp decreases the higher lvl you go, you can have quite a bit of fun in pvp.

Also, the basic gameplay is pretty fun in AO, even for a free player. Once you get to level 100 however, there's no more static dungeons accesible to you, so your activity choices become somewhat limited.

• DrgunzetDrgunzet Member Posts: 23

Anarchy Only PvP system can be summarized as:

_ PvP level lock:  High level cannot attack a much lower level.  Must be within a certain level.

_ PvP location lock:  Only a few designated places would force you to fight.  You can chose to fight any where for some sparring.

_ PvP rock, scisor, paper system:  Each profession has a nemesis in PvP.

_ PvP team is not good:  You have a good mix of professions in a team, you have better chance against monsters, but not in PvP.  Most people will chose a few PvP oriented professions.

_ Mass PvP is now ruined:  Lag has always been the long-time problem for battles involving 100+ people.  But recently the LE expansion pack has ruined the mass PvP system.  I believed some Funcom developers/designers were dennying the issues to protect their jobs.  But I think FC did loose some paying accounts because of this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In most game, PvP's advantage is determined by who has the lucky loot of a rare uber-powerful items.  Anarchy Online is a complex and intelligence, hence, skills & experience have more weight.

I know in my current guild, we have a very talented PvPer, playing a free account without the game perks from a paid account.  He can beaten 90% of the paid account players except the best ones with superior equipments and perks.

I ran a large guild in this game, Good Spirits and we are mostly the poor free account.  But we are largest and we fought as an professional army.  We defeated many small groupies of rich spoil brat easily with skill and determination.

-Drgunzet-

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Originally posted by Drgunzet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In most game, PvP's advantage is determined by who has the lucky loot of a rare uber-powerful items.  Anarchy Online is a complex and intelligence, hence, skills & experience have more weight.
    I know in my current guild, we have a very talented PvPer, playing a free account without the game perks from a paid account.  He can beaten 90% of the paid account players except the best ones with superior equipments and perks.
    I ran a large guild in this game, Good Spirits and we are mostly the poor free account.  But we are largest and we fought as an professional army.  We defeated many small groupies of rich spoil brat easily with skill and determination.
    -Drgunzet-

Give me a break.   A free player " can be somewhat competitive" at some of the earlier lvls on a free account. 50 is probably where it severally starts to diminish at a very fast rate. Your friends telling some fish storys. Probably more like he might win 30% of his non ganking encounters against expansioned players. I think thats even being a bit generous. My question is wheres your friend been pvping.  Because it sounds like he can't tell a expansioned player from a free player. 

At late lvls your friend or any froob for that matter would be even lucky if they could hit their expansioned oposition once out of every 10 hits.  Let alone be lucky if they lasted over 30 seconds thru the massive special caps and alphas that would be dished out.

I simply would not recomend AO to someone new to the game thats looking at pvp being a top priority.     Exspecially if you have no plans on being able to upgrade to expansions. Go find you a Korean grinder (you will be doing the same thing in AO ) that you can purchase cash shop items useing ingame credits.  

Hell for that matter.  Go play RF Online if your looking for PVP with no budget.  It just went f2p and is very pvp centered.  

• valunvalun Member UncommonPosts: 203
    In short,it's TWINKS based pvp-you work hard with your brain for a days and then finally fun begins!

Are you stupid? Do you think i'm gonna waste my life for real life?image

Originally posted by JayBirdz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -Drgunzet-

Give me a break.   A free player " can be somewhat competitive" at some of the earlier lvls on a free account. 50 is probably where it severally starts to diminish at a very fast rate. Your friends telling some fish storys. Probably more like he might win 30% of his non ganking encounters against expansioned players. I think thats even being a bit generous. My question is wheres your friend been pvping.  Because it sounds like he can't tell a expansioned player from a free player. 

At late lvls your friend or any froob for that matter would be even lucky if they could hit their expansioned oposition once out of every 10 hits.  Let alone be lucky if they lasted over 30 seconds thru the massive special caps and alphas that would be dished out.

I simply would not recomend AO to someone new to the game thats looking at pvp being a top priority.     Exspecially if you have no plans on being able to upgrade to expansions. Go find you a Korean grinder (you will be doing the same thing in AO ) that you can purchase cash shop items useing ingame credits.  

Hell for that matter.  Go play RF Online if your looking for PVP with no budget.  It just went f2p and is very pvp centered.  

I saw with my own eyes, my free-account fighter fought against two twinked paid account at once.  My fighter almost killed one of them.  But they ran away.  That free-account twink fighter also alone can solo and took down a whole base, kill all defenders before too.  The name is Wenyl.  Check in this link.  http://com2.runboard.com/bgoodspirits.f37.t168.  If anyone interest to meet this free-account fighter, you are welcome to meet in game. 

My guild are mostly "free-players", new and poorly armed.  But we defeated a reknown twink paid-account guild, fair and squared after 3- month long struggle.  That twink guild has quit the war completely and no longer own any base, while my guild owns 4 bases. 

Each of our fighters had about 5 million-credit worth of equipments, while our enemy fighters, each had about 500 million-credit worth of equipment.  But we still won the war after a dozen battles.  Check this link out.  http://com2.runboard.com/bgoodspirits.f37.t168 

My guild has a motto, "Froobs can win", "Playing free account is like playing hard mode, when you win, it's 3x the fun".

-Drgunzet-

-Drgunzet-

I saw with my own eyes, my free-account fighter fought against two twinked paid account at once.  My fighter almost killed one of them.  But they ran away.  That free-account twink fighter also alone can solo and took down a whole base, kill all defenders before too.  The name is Wenyl.  Check in this link.  http://com2.runboard.com/bgoodspirits.f37.t168.  If anyone interest to meet this free-account fighter, you are welcome to meet in game. 

My guild are mostly "free-players", new and poorly armed.  But we defeated a reknown twink paid-account guild, fair and squared after 3- month long struggle.  That twink guild has quit the war completely and no longer own any base, while my guild owns 4 bases. 

Each of our fighters had about 5 million-credit worth of equipments, while our enemy fighters, each had about 500 million-credit worth of equipment.  But we still won the war after a dozen battles.  Check this link out.  http://com2.runboard.com/bgoodspirits.f37.t168 

My guild has a motto, "Froobs can win", "Playing free account is like playing hard mode, when you win, it's 3x the fun".

-Drgunzet-

You own a tower field ,Its not hard to do.   And btw way how many alliance defenders show up at your fights to help defend or take the fields that are on paid accounts (that you know or don't know about. probably more than you think) Since towers are factioned rewards more so than buffing tools anymore. Not to mention that the reason they don't control the field is because Org's are limited to one tower field per title lvl range.  

That does not mean you or your friend wins 90% of your actual pvp fights. Your at a considerable disadvantage (as a free player) going up against a expansioned pvp'er.   ***Not to mention you can't even access whats considered "the pvp hot spot wihtout expansions", as far as I am aware.   Towers are more of a novalty and not a necessity, thats why I think they let free players finally get Notum Wars benefits, imo. 220 mains do not have to have them to put in their endgame symbs with all the new gear and research lines.*** 

What are those links referencing? The argueing on AO's forums is not considered pvping.   I said at certain lvls you can be competitive, I believe I said at 50 is where it starts to diminish very fast. What lvl are you?   You will end up being smushed more than 50% of the time. Due to your weak hitpoints limited evades/AAD, limited  attack rating/AAO, and  lack  of   "minus cricticalstrike" items. 

You wouldn't even be able to get your crit rate up high enough anymore as a froob  to crit a expansioned player once he gets those ncu's and other items in, due to those "-criticalstrike" modifiers now out. Not even as a froob martial artist.   Some professions are pushing dam near 5-6k+ (I think that being conservative) combined between pure evades and AAD from items perks and research.  

Expansioned players have more attack rating and evades around 100 (decently geared/not twinked), than you will ever see your entire time being a froob. A twink will dam near have your end game weapon stats at lvl 60. Maybe a bit higher  depending on the profession in question.

I say again you or your  friend might win 30% of his encounters as a froob if he is 50ish or below. But thats even being generous I think. Unless you count sitting on ToTW ramp poping dungeon goers as they come close and had no intent to pvp.  Ganking the weak is not pvp. 

There is nothing you can do to make me agree with your origional post saying " you win 90% of you fights".   I know the bloody numbers well enough that after you pass a certain lvl you are nothing but  speed bumps.  And that lvl decreases dramatically with each expansion.

Obviously  it seems that not only can you not  tell a free from a paid account, But now you show the lack of knowledge about the item database of the game and its economy. 500 mill is jack squat at any lvl anymore.

Don't over exagerate.   Exspeacially to someone looking for info on the game.  If hes never gonna buy expansions, he is better off going to a truly F2P game where he can purchase cash shop items with in game currency.  If pvp is not his main focus I say have fun and enjoy your stay in AO.

****** Edit: I just toned it down alittle.  Theres no need for insults and I came close to overstepping that boundry at some points.  So my apologies. And i just cleared up my piss poor grammer somewhat ***

Gezz, too much fancy analysis.  I am not going to reveal my secrets why the poor free-accounts won.  I played Anarchy Online since 2002, I had ways for the poor free-account to win.  I won't share that here.

The results spoke more convincingly.  My poor free-account guild defeated and took all bases belonged to that paid account guild over the battles since July till now, 3 months.  They no longer owned a base for two months now.  They tried to own a base few time, and within days, my fighters came and took the base down, giving the  base to other guild. 

Their fighters left their guild and went else where after defeats.

So perhaps you missed something BIG in your analysis.  I knew free-account had a lot of disadvantages, and learned how to compensate.  You don't know what the free-accounts do to compensate.  That is your BIG disadvantage.

-Drgunzet-

P.S.  One of my main advantages was a cool head.  I've never got mad at my fighters when they made mistakes or lost battles.  We all come back and fight the battle another day until we win.  If you are easily getting mad over a small thing, you can never achieve great thing.

Just to clarify, if by 'pvp hot spot' you meant battlestations, free players can indeed access them; there's a TL5 froob in my org (a fixer, mind you) who does it all the time. I, of course, wouldnt recommend it for most lvl ranges and professions, and other than maybe a low pvp title theres nothing to gain from it....but its been the observation of most of my orgmates whove tried it, and others I've heard from, that payed players dont really seem to mind the presence of froobs. Granted this isnt the REALLY high BS where 210-220's grind out their VP's for ql300 OFAB, but there ya go.

Originally posted by ArKane

Just to clarify, if by 'pvp hot spot' you meant battlestations, free players can indeed access them; there's a TL5 froob in my org (a fixer, mind you) who does it all the time. I, of course, wouldnt recommend it for most lvl ranges and professions, and other than maybe a low pvp title theres nothing to gain from it....but its been the observation of most of my orgmates whove tried it, and others I've heard from, that payed players dont really seem to mind the presence of froobs. Granted this isnt the REALLY high BS where 210-220's grind out their VP's for ql300 OFAB, but there ya go.

Yes I was reffering to battle stations. I also said   "as far as I am aware." meaning i could be wrong.  I never said that payed players didn't want froobs to go on BS's either. My guess would be they enjoy it since it makes for shorter queueing periods.   The reason i even posted is this fool was boasting how as a froob he wins 90% of his pvp fights and thats bullshit.  Unless hes sitting out somewhere like totw ganking people who have no intention to pvp and just want to go to a dungeon.    Him boasting on about towers now does not  prove a flipping thing about the claim I called BS too.  Thanks for clerifying on the Battle Stations. .

And to Drgunzet.. wtf are you on about.   this went from me addressing your claim that you  won 90% of your pvp fights as a froob against expansioned pvp'ers, to my guild owns tower fields.  I even said,  any bloody guild that wants towers can have them. Its not that hard considering how small the game population is. And each org is limited to one field per title lvl range.  Towers  have just as much to do with your alliances support in taking and maintaing them as your own orgs. Wether you know it or not.  

You are full of crap with that 90% claim. to be blunt ...    50ish or below you have decent odds.  After that they dimish every 10 lvls at an incredable rate. you can not compensate for the dmg taken like a expansioned player can with cacoon , or the acrobat perk lines. Or the multiple healing perks that have fast recharges.  You don't have the passive stat bonuses. You don't have perk specials for Fast and massive alphas.  You can't achieve a Nano Resist character  like expansioned players can with the switcing of one perk or wear a HHAB.   You can not get your crit rate high enough to crit a profesion with the CIB perkline anymore due to new "minus criticalstrike items". Not even as a martial artist. And in the case the person does not have the CIB perk line, more than likely only martial artist as a froob could get their crit rate high enough with the use of crat coffee, GOC's x2, Vision enhancer ( I was even generous with the VE and linked a fairly hard to get 275), their self buffs.   

So I ask again what lvl are you pvping at that you claim your or his odds are so good and what profesion.  10? 20? 30? 40? 50?  Cause it sure as hell is not around the Title lvl 4 cap or higher with the odds your claiming.  

FFS..  I don't even know why I am even responding to your claims. Just iratates me that you would so blindly misinform people. 

If a new player is looking for pvp and that is their main focus, has no intentions on buying expansions for AO.  They are better off going to a F2P MMO that they can buy cash shop items in with ingame credits. 

Had you said your Org or his Org wins 90% of their tower fights, as a group. I might be inclined to call BS at a later point but not right off bat.  I would first ask what lvl range and I would also take into account the fact that you could be zerging as an org against a solo defender.     But your claim was this and I am  quoteing it word for word....   

Posted By Drgunzet:  "I know in my current guild, we have a very talented PvPer, playing a free account without the game perks from a paid account.  He can beaten 90% of the paid account players except the best ones with superior equipments and perks."

So I ask again what lvl are you pvping at that you claim your or his odds are so good and what profesion. 10? 20? 30? 40? 50? Cause it sure as hell is not around the Title lvl 4 cap or higher with the odds your claiming.

The name he provided, according to auno, is a lvl 76 Fixer who hasnt lvled since March so I suppose the alleged 90% pvp wins took place at this level. 90% is obviously nonsense. But, at that specific lvl, assuming GA3 (I say 3 because I honestly dont have the twinking knowledge to know whether a froob can get GA4 on that early and keep it out of OE with mochams) I can imagine some expansion players having trouble hitting him. The problem is, how is HE hitting THEM enough to kill them? Blackbirds are nice but not THAT nice, and as mentioned before between increased AR, higher AC's and evades, and perks specials, I just cant see it being anything higher than maybe, MAYBE 50/50 odds.

Since its a fixer, I wonder if the 90% number includes all the losing battles he meeped from image

The free-account twink is a fixer lvl 76.  Jaybirdz talked to much and did so little in reading.  He is too angry and hostile. 

I will not reply to him anymore.  I am not interested to talk to these kind of people.  I have never since an intelligent person who are also angry and hostile.  :)

I've talked to this twink and he had some really innovative idea.  I had to learn from him even though I've played since 2002 and twinked a lot.

-Drgunzet-

| PvP 60-96 | 508100 XP | Missions 53, 57, 60, 64, 68, 76, 83, 91, 98, 114, 135

Originally posted by ArKane

So I ask again what lvl are you pvping at that you claim your or his odds are so good and what profesion. 10? 20? 30? 40? 50? Cause it sure as hell is not around the Title lvl 4 cap or higher with the odds your claiming.

The name he provided, according to auno, is a lvl 76 Fixer who hasnt lvled since March so I suppose the alleged 90% pvp wins took place at this level. 90% is obviously nonsense. But, at that specific lvl, assuming GA3 (I say 3 because I honestly dont have the twinking knowledge to know whether a froob can get GA4 on that early and keep it out of OE with mochams) I can imagine some expansion players having trouble hitting him. The problem is, how is HE hitting THEM enough to kill them? Blackbirds are nice but not THAT nice, and as mentioned before between increased AR, higher AC's and evades, and perks specials, I just cant see it being anything higher than maybe, MAYBE 50/50 odds.

Since its a fixer, I wonder if the 90% number includes all the losing battles he meeped from

I over looked  the mentioning of the name so thats my bad. I would have  been specific in my last post in reguards to fixers..  And I also agree with your dmg statement. theres a few dot tools and alway gumboils for that little added kick.  GA's usefullness is all but gone in pvp. Considering the high attack rating a expansioned pvp'er  can obtain currently.  Not to mention the Nano Resist Avatar (for those with long lasting buffs)comes into play as well here by useing notum repulser (only 2 hour cool downs for perks now).  On top of root resist perks(depending on your profession and its  lvl locks) , root breaking stims and nanos.

And Gunz im not angry, nore hostile. I am  generally a fairly rational person.   I just know a complete load of garabage when I hear it. And I called you out on it.  I have  stripped thru  the DB (when building aendless ammount of alts) enough to know, aswell as reading enough do's and do nots for every profession. Even for professions i haven't really played actively, to know what your claiming had few chances to hold up.

* i did not say you didn't enjoy pvp as a froob. 

* I didn't say you could not pvp.

* I did not say you could not win.

What i said was your 90% claim  against expansioned pvper's was crap.  And chances are he was camping totw ganking people who had no intentions to pvp and you know what...

| PvP 60-96 | 508100 XP | Missions 53, 57, 60, 64, 68, 76, 83, 91, 98, 114, 135

I probably was not to far off on my totw claims either, Given the fact that helpbot is generally a lvl or 2 off on its numbers. .  :) Ganking people when they run thru gas at the temple is not pvp. Its not competetive.  its killing those who have no intention to pvp and just wanna go to a dungeon to get their loot. 

Thats like a WOW player ( or any other game that is not pvp lvl locked) bragging  he wins 90% of his fights at 26, and all he does is camp starter zones slaughtering people who belong in that area.   It does have some humor value to it, which wears off generaly fairly fast for most people.

Times like this I wish every MMo had Killboards like Eve.