Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Large PvP Battles

warzone100warzone100 Member Posts: 63

I'm an Ex-UO who just canceled his account yet again.  Some guild mates are going to WoW on a PvP (we are a pvp guild) but then I saw something about this game having battles with 2-4k players participating.

I was wonder about the games PvP.

-What is the pace of the PvP?

-How often do these large battles take place?

-What is the average size of an everyday battle?

-Would a small guild be able to do anything in these battles?

-How interactive is the combat?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

-They can be very fast and explosive, but from my own experience there can be some long waiting and planning before you jump in blow the enemy up.

-If you're in a reasonable 0.0sec based alliance, you're likely to see them quite often - as you will be as war with others. For the past two weeks my alliance has been fighting others defending out outpost - huge battles with hundreds of people every day.

-Depends on the size of the alliances. The biggest i've seen is something like 800 total. ( A few alliances on each 'side' of the battle)

-Yes. There are lots of specific roles that one guild could perform and help in the battle.

-When you get deep into ship setups and stuff, it can be quite interactive as you have to manage your capacitor, and know when to put certain modules on. Everything is point and click for targetting and setting your motion, modules have hotkeys.

Hope that helped. If you want to know anything else just ask.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• warzone100warzone100 Member Posts: 63

Thanks, for the response.  Is there someway to see if I would like the pvp during the free trial?  I've been told in game it takes a month to be able to pvp.

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

Do a search and read up on tackle.  It is the role of a new pvp pilot.  Basically in the game people can run away.  Either warp out or go to fast and stay out of range. 

A tackle uses a cheap ship avail to new pilots and an afterburner to go fast.  They will race to the target, use a webifier (speed debuff) and a warp scrambler/disruptor (root, prevents from warping out). (not in that order, lol)

That way the more experienced pilots with the big ships can blow up the target without them running away.

Check the recruiting channel and see if you can get a corp to adopt you.  Most won't let you actually join, but they may let you go with them and do some tackling.  Don't worry about making friends or enemies on the trial.  If you decide to keep the game you can always re roll a character and transfer all your money.

Alternatively you can join a gang with your friends and go to some belt in high sec space and just fight each other.  Make sure you are in a gang though.

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

Originally posted by warzone100

I'm an Ex-UO who just canceled his account yet again.  Some guild mates are going to WoW on a PvP (we are a pvp guild) but then I saw something about this game having battles with 2-4k players participating.

Thank you for your time.

1) Small gang PvP is fast-paced. Large gang PvP is not.

2) Multiple times daily, especially on weekends

3) ~20 total players is a typical skirmish. Fights can be found against any sized opposing force, if you look right.

4) Small groups are more then capable of fighting. They are not capable of fighting against large groups.

5) The server technology does not support fights with more then 250 people in one system. Watching the game crash and sitting on the loading screen is not interactive in the sense that you're asking.

Thanks, for the response.  Is there someway to see if I would like the pvp during the free trial?  I've been told in game it takes a month to be able to pvp.

This is not accurate. PvP is possible after a few hours of training. How successful you are will depend on your ability to analyze situations and figure out a way to achieve victory. If you are not good at those things, you will not be good at PvP, except as cannon fodder for a competent (or incompetent) fleet commander.

• Jizzlobber85Jizzlobber85 Member Posts: 20

You can get as much pvp action as you wish as long as you know where to find it and you can afford to lose what ever you lose. For a new player this just means you dont have much in game money so using cheaper items maybe affordable at first it will catch up to you if you lose a few ships and in pvp you will. You need to find an income. Some kill others as income though for a new player this is not an option.

See not like wow eve has a large death penalty. The saying goes in eve 'dont fly what you cant afford to lose' Its pretty tempting if you have recieve a few nice isk (in game money) to pimp out your new ship. Your ship may fly faster, repair more dmg, do more dmg and many other things but if you cant afford to lose it you will find out the hard way.

There are plenty of guides for new players but from what you said, you wish to bring your mates over, which means you would want to only play with them or limit your friends to just them. Thats fine and possible. You can start up your own corp (guild you may call it) though setting it up may feel to deep at the start, you can organise your hangers so any of your corp friends can grab what is needed. But you need to rent out hangers which can cost a fortune and you have many other better things to spend your isk on.

With the new starting character buff, within and month as long as you focus your training, you can become a decent 'tackler' in terms of skill points.

Just dont think you can just jump into a game in within a month of training think your ready to pvp. Its a very deep game. Some say to deep but if it wasnt this deep I would have stopped playing this game a long time ago.

Also note, that you can play this game for 1 hour and be involved in a great fight but you can play with the game for 5 hours and not come close to a fight. It all depends if your the hunter or the hunted and if there are targets to kill.

Some ppl just dont wish to lose their ship and will avoid a fight. A smart pilot that doesnt travel can avoid a fight everytime.

Will you get a fight on your trial account? Maybe, but dont except to win or come close. You may not beable to win on a one on one for a while against a player who has more sp but a group of low sp players if you fly your ship correctly can kill a group of high sp players. Not like wow, if its 6 lvl 10 players vs 4 lvl 30 players. The lvl 30 players would win like everytime. Eve is how you fly and the skills you have as a pilot and not skillpoints alone and how expensive or good your ship is. Though that will help a good skillfull pilot.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

If you want to play EVE for massive fleet battles. Don't. While it's a great concept that even works once in awhile it's mostly a massive lag fest. 30 second module response times, disconnects, desyncs and node crashes are the norm. Sadly after 4 years you'd think CCP would have worked it out but they haven't.

Though this can be the case, somtimes it can run pretty smoothly. 300 ppl in the same system slugging it out will have lag with it. Big deal, your fighitng with that many ppl. The other day I was in a amazing 300 man battle at least. Was it laggy? Yes, was it very laggy? Yes was it awesome? Yes it was an amazing fight(s)

Originally posted by Jizzlobber85
    Though this can be the case, somtimes it can run pretty smoothly. 300 ppl in the same system slugging it out will have lag with it. Big deal, your fighitng with that many ppl. The other day I was in a amazing 300 man battle at least. Was it laggy? Yes, was it very laggy? Yes was it awesome? Yes it was an amazing fight(s)

Yeah it's really amazing until your enemy brings a fleet of 1200 to lag out a node and make it impossible to defend your pos's while they pop them because you can't even jump into the system. Which is exactly how BoB and ASCN exploited EC to break the backs of G and Iron. It also takes away the skill and battles boil down to who has the less lag as opposed to the most skill 99% of the time.

Don't get me wrong i love EVE but after 2 years of dealing with Alliance fleet battle lag i quit pvp and became and industrialist.

Max battle I have been in 600 ppl in local. And yes that was urber laggy but I did get in a fight at a gate which was like nearly lag free just where the action really was in that system it was insane lag.

Your explaining how goons play. Totally lag a system, drop cans and drones to increase lag.  Thats not BoB or IAC or whoever else you mentioned

Originally posted by Jizzlobber85
    Max battle I have been in 600 ppl in local. And yes that was urber laggy but I did get in a fight at a gate which was like nearly lag free just where the action really was in that system it was insane lag.
    Your explaining how goons play. Totally lag a system, drop cans and drones to increase lag.  Thats not BoB or IAC or whoever else you mentioned

That was indeed BoB and ASCN. It happened right before BoB turned on ASCN. They didn't drop cans or drones they just had so many people in the system that it took 5 minutes to load and sync and by then you woke up in a hangar which was exactly their purpose. BoB even stated that they did it on purpose because they went to EC to win not to fight.

Seriously all anyone has to do is fly through Jita to see the problem EVE has with a large amount of people in a system. So to the OP: If you want to see what massive fleet combat is like in EVE just set your autopilot for Jita on a saturday afternoon. It will take you a few minutes to load, a few minutes to open anything like mail or the market and a few minutes to exit if you don't disconnect in that time count yourself lucky.

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Thank you for your time.

You'll have an easy time getting into PvP if you join with a few of your guild mates, even within the 14 days of your free trial. I created a trial with a few friends once, just to mess around and see what we could do, and we managed to have a lot of fun and even downed an Apoc (Amarr Battleship). I'd do it again, but I've heard CCP don't like you creating free trials just to wreak a bit of havoc over and over again.

-iCeh

• PjotrPjotr Member Posts: 7

From my experience there is a lot of pvp in eve. If you are a new player the best thing is to get into a pvp corperation (eve form of a guild) that accepts new players and want to learn them pvp. Also if you get into a big alliance (a collection of a number corperations) that controls some systems you proberly will get more action but most of that those pvp fights will be planned in advance and you could also end up in a lot of standoffs. If you want fast pace pvp you can try to join a corp that specializes in roaming the universe looking for good targets. Also there are even pvp tournaments. The last one was completed yesterday and you can watch some fights that happened at eve-online.tv/tournament.aspx

• PhelanLPhelanL Member Posts: 99

The tournament fights are cool, but the ships and tactics used bear no resemblance to normal PvP.

Here's a cool video I just found today.  It's a Jaguar (assault frigate) tackling in a very large PvP fight.   dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/ArtCor/ritualite.avi