Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Game(s) Got You Started?

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

First video game was Wolfentein,on those old floppy discs,on the Dos operating system.

First rpg was of course Wizardry :D.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• shohenshohen Member UncommonPosts: 61

Lets see..

First rpg : basic d&d

first computer game: pong

first computer rpg: zork (still remember getting lost in the pirates maze looking for his booty)

first graphical rpg (ASCII): Rogue - I remember playing that for hours in my parents room on our build it yourself heathkit computer.

first online game: some mud- just remember metalica attacking me with its axe

first graphical mmorpg: Asheron's call

Oh the good old days!

• KorgborgKorgborg Member UncommonPosts: 116

The first RPG I played consistently was FFXI. Older graphics but I like the social features and the economy, even if  there is a bit of inflation.

Guild Wars is nice, slightly linear though and instanced. Looking forward to GW2.

If you cut it too short you can always nail a piece on the end.

If you cut it too long then what the hell are you gonna do?

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Video Game was Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past.....I played this when it was new on SNES...my cousins had a bunch of video games, and I had none...I use to go over to their house and just play for hours on end.

First pen and paper was Conan RPG...I was late into pen and paper, just started a few years ago...gave me somethin to do when I was on probation, and now I prefer pen and paper RPGs to all else...

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Pencil & Paper RPG: Originally it was the first large boxed version of Dungeons & Dragons, probably around the late '70s because I was still in elementary school at the time. The first module from which was "Keep on the Borderlands". After that, I was hooked on RPGs. That was my start. Since then I have played just about everything under the sun that has come out up until the big boom early in the new millennium when the Pen & Paper RPG industry took off.

Video Game RPG: The original Ultima on the Apple II, than the Commodore 64, and then subsequent to that all the other Ultima games, the D&D Gold Box series, and many more. Then I switched to IBM PCs in the middle of the 1980's. The "CRPG" remains my video game of choice...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• Krn_AssassinKrn_Assassin Member Posts: 581

Lunar: The Silverstar Story & FF7

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Krn_Assassin

...in my opinion...the best RPGs of all time!!!

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Zork, and Kings Quest.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Krn_AssassinKrn_Assassin Member Posts: 581
    Originally posted by Krn_Assassin

/thread

• Burngrass99Burngrass99 Member Posts: 45

My first love was Zelda...The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on N64

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251

Well..When I played Pen and Paper it was Of corse D&D 1st Edition..

The Video Games Ive played...

Eye of the Beholder On Sega CD, Zelda's on NES, Shining Force Series on Sega G, Lunar was On Sega CD or Sega Saturn I forgot...And there was Many more i cant remember...Anyone remember River City Ransome???  My friend and I played that game constantlly...And Contra...lol

My First MMO,s was Muds...But then I went on to Play Ultima Online..And I have never had a game that was as Fun as Ultima Online...I miss that game alot..I wish it went back to the way it was thats for sure...

No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • LadySiliLadySili Member Posts: 3

Super Mario Bros on NES as a kid, then FF7 on PS as a teenager, then WII (mostly Mario and Zelda games). Now, starting about 3 or 4 years ago, Guild Wars (my favorite of all time), occasionally Runes of Magic, and Aion.

• XanderPLXanderPL Member UncommonPosts: 2

I've started with FF7 and then, a bit later, my loved Mu Online. Still playing it. And I've started it when it was relased :p

Idontknowwhattowritehere.

• SassieVixenSassieVixen Member Posts: 1

Actually quite a few, Might & Magic, Wizardry, Lands of Lore Series: Throne of Chaos, Guardians of Destiny and their was a 3rd one can't remember that title offhand. The first Kane, their were so many really good rpg games in the 80's and 90's. Stonekeep was a game I really liked as well.,

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Before D&D there was "le chateau des sortileges" in France, I started with that then played D&D.

And before that I played Pong, that was my first video game.

First MMO was SWG. 

I had a look at Ultima online and Everquest 1 but never jumped into them.

• PATLAKAPATLAKA Member Posts: 16

i started with cabal online then played talisman online , wow, nos tale , gods war ,mu tryed to play maple story but still playing cabal online :) 

• KarliarKarliar Member UncommonPosts: 20

The first Dragon Warrior was my first RPG.  But Final Fantasy got me hooked.  My first online game was Gemstone 3 back when it was hosted on AOL.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by Astralglide

Which games got you started role-playing? Was it a video game first or pen and paper/ table top? Do you still play them today? I'll start (this is just for curiosity's sake).
    Video Games came first for me:
    Final Fantasy (for NES) or Dragon Warrior (for NES)
    The first pen and paper game I played was Shadowrun 2nd Edition but I became a big Vampire: The Masquerade Fan.
    I have ROMs for all of the NES games, but I haven't played them in a while and I gave up on pen & paper games a while ago.

Started with pnp games and Forgotten Realms is what I remember the most. After that, I played various pc games like Might and Magic and Pools of Radiance, but Final Fantasy really sticks out in my childhood memory. Enough so that I followed the series and played the MMO for a while.

Sorta funny to look back on the simplicity of those old games compared to today's games. For how far we've come, those old games provided hours upon hours of entertainment that many new games fail to reach. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking ;)

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Astralglide

Which games got you started role-playing? Was it a video game first or pen and paper/ table top? Do you still play them today? I'll start (this is just for curiosity's sake).
    Video Games came first for me:
    Final Fantasy (for NES) or Dragon Warrior (for NES)
    The first pen and paper game I played was Shadowrun 2nd Edition but I became a big Vampire: The Masquerade Fan.
    I have ROMs for all of the NES games, but I haven't played them in a while and I gave up on pen & paper games a while ago.

Pen & Paper D&D

Then a D&D video game for the Turbo Graphics 16

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• LSDoomLSDoom Member Posts: 16

the first real epic sort of feeling i got while gaming was at a place called virtual world. it was like this hybrid arcade/larp room where you sit in a sci fi space bar watching live monitors of other people in battle while waiting to be briefed on your mission. then you play your game from inside a pod filled with all kinds of esoteric lights and dials.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

PnP D&D. Was too young to know what I was really doing or how to at the time but it was fun. I just rolled dice and said what I wanted to do.

Then on my C64 I got Might and Magic. After that I played Bard's Tale III... Curse of the Azure Bonds.

On my 386DX-66 I played Battletech: Crescent Hawks inception/revenge.

From there on I played the FF series and other RPG's... (damned metal slimes in DW1)

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• LaserlifeLaserlife Member UncommonPosts: 40

Ocarina of Time when I was eight, followed by a lot of final fantasy/other Playstation titles.

In 2001 I bought Everquest to begin my MMO career: Great mistake number one.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

RuneQuest ,D&D,Cyberpunk,Talisman (p&p)

Gateway to Apshai,Larn,Moria,Alternate Reality the city (computer games)

still playing other roguelikes and Alternate Reality

Generation P

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Always been a big gamer myself, beginning with PnP RPGs and then the NES and SNES, etc...

As for online gaming, I started with MUDS and Text Based RPGs in the early-mid 90s.

When UO launched I was immediately addicted to the game and played it up until AO launched, at which point I moved onto AO from UO.

Played AO until I decided to move over to WoW, spent a few years playing WoW and dominating the available content with a group of close RL friends. Quit after WOTLK and have never gone back since.

Moved back into sandbox gaming, returned to UO briefly and then got into DF just after it launched.

Picked up Fallen Earth when it launched and still have an active sub to this day, have never even considered cancelling because the game is so solid. I also play DDO every now and then to feed my D&D appetite.

Recently started playing EVE Online as well (as shown by my sig) and between DF and EVE I have all the sandbox goodness I can handle.

EVE is quickly taking over as my main game, and I can see myself focusing on it more than the others, due to my own personal love for the science fiction genre. Space combat has always been a real treat to me, regardless of what form it took.

• EmverEmver Member Posts: 27

Fiesta Online started off my gaming life. A few of my friends were playing it and decided to join in, since then I have moved on to much better games like Aion and will be again moving on to EVE online soon.