Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 1+2

UberfatkidUberfatkid Member Posts: 98

Okay so I want to play GW but I dont know whether to get factions nightfall or that other one, also I dont want to waste my money on GW1 when GW2 is comming out but I dont know when, also I don't know how good GW is. Anyone one want to inform me please?

Comments

• freakomarfreakomar Member Posts: 415

Guildwars 2 will start closed beta in mid 2008, so I bet it'll be out by end of 2008.

Guildwars is fun, but I dont find it as addictive as most other games, but its definately worth it - PvP is quick and loads of fun.

One major reason I do not like it because you cannot jump, like jump down a crater instead of walking all around to find an entrance etc. and the second one is that PvP never lasts long, its just 5 minute long matches etc, nothing like say Lord of the Rings' PvMP or maybe Alterac Valley in WoW.

But my suggestion, GO FOR IT. Get Nightfall I would say, get a character to level 20 and buy Eye of the North. Also you can just get the Eye of the North something edition, which is 60 dollars and you get the normal Guildwars with it along with Eye of the North.

Played almost everything...
    Currently playing nothing...
    Waiting for: Darkfall, WAR, Guild Wars 2.

• freakomarfreakomar Member Posts: 415

Maybe if you can tell me what games you've played before - and what you liked about them I MAY be able to determin if you will like Guildwars or not 

Played almost everything...
    Currently playing nothing...
    Waiting for: Darkfall, WAR, Guild Wars 2.

• UberfatkidUberfatkid Member Posts: 98

I have played WoW probably the most but it has grown stale... I have tried LoTRo didn't like it also I played SWG which was fun until you know..... So I though Id try GW

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Originally posted by Uberfatkid

Okay so I want to play GW but I dont know whether to get factions nightfall or that other one, also I dont want to waste my money on GW1 when GW2 is comming out but I dont know when, also I don't know how good GW is. Anyone one want to inform me please?
    Ok, forget GW2, its a year away from beta's as it is, another year until release aswell

There are rumblings about it, but nothing concrete or confirmed, so forget it for now...  

However, here's what we know so far:

Guild Wars 2 is the new Guild Wars game currently in development by ArenaNet. It was first announced in the May 2007 PC Gamer Magazine which outlines several core changes from the original Guild Wars. It is expected to go to beta test in the second half of 2008. No release date has been confirmed.

f (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = "show"; var tocHideText = "hide"; showTocToggle(); } 

General

Races

In addition to humans, Guild Wars 2 will introduce several new playable races. The four new playable races announced so far are:

Different races will have different advantages and disadvantages, for example the Norn will be able to shapeshift into a half-bear half-human, with increased health and melee damage and the Asura may be able to create golems. It is presently not known what advantages other races will have.

Character development

There will be a single character system, a character will not have a type like at present. A single character can be used for any of the three types of game play; PvE, World PvP and Structured PvP.

The level cap of 20 will be raised, no maximum level has been given and it has been suggested that there may be no maximum. The exact implementation has not been announced and is the subject of speculation in the community as it is not clear how this will affect gameplay such as area design and game balance. There has been mention of a side-kick system when a higher level character will enhance a lower level companions abilities, although there are few concrete details available about this system.

The skill system will be modified. There will be fewer, less complex skills which may behave differently in different situations, such as if the character is jumping or is surrounded by monsters.

Auction houses may be implemented.

Controls

The control system is going to be significantly changed (in particular mouse movement in the form "click to move" will be removed from the game), however target locking will still function. Guild Wars 2 will introduce a Z-axis to the game which will allow characters to jump over obstacles. Actions which have characters interacting with the environment, such as sliding, climbing trees and swimming will also be introduced.

Pricing and continued support

The original Guild Wars will continue to be supported after release of Guild Wars 2. This will include continued holiday events and tournaments.

There will be no monthly fee associated with Guild Wars 2. Mike O'Brien has stated that expansions or mini-expansions are more likely than standalone campaigns, but a final decision hasn't been made yet.

The game will be on multiple servers or "worlds," but players will not be bound to a world and may therefore change worlds as they would districts, except that they encompass the entire game, instead of just an oupost.

PvE

Setting

The campaign will be set in Tyria two hundred and fifty years into the future from the original campaign.

Guild Wars 2 will still have instances, but also claims more advanced persistence. For example, this might include different quests becoming available depending on the outcome of a particular fight.

There will be changes to instancing system used. Persistent areas, similar to those traditionally used in other online multiplayer games, will be introduced to Guild Wars which may allow players to meet and interact while exploring. Guild Wars 2 will depart from a single monolithic storyline, instead using smaller story arcs - allowing the player more of a sandbox environment to play in.

Characters

Characters from the original Guild Wars campaign will not be migrated to play in Guild Wars 2. Some of the items and titles will be available to players of Guild Wars 2 through a Hall of Monuments created as part of Guild Wars Eye of the North.

The professions are being designed so that they are all viable for both solo and group play.

Companions

The system of companions and allies is being reworked. Companions will have customizability similar to Heroes. Players will be allowed to bring a single companion with them, who will not take up a party slot. When a player chooses not to bring a companion, their character will instead be buffed so that they will not be disadvantaged by not bringing a companion.

PvP

There will be two types of PvP available in Guild Wars 2; World PvP and Structured PvP.

World PvP

World PvP will allow you to play characters of any level, using the skills that you have in your possession at that particular time. It is intended to be a more relaxed bridging point between PvE and structured PvP. It will be on a larger scale than the original Guild Wars PvP with large battles which could take place over a long period with people coming and going. Each battle will have a number of different objectives which can be met such as taking guard towers or defending choke points or joining a larger battle to take a castle. Battles will take place in the Mists. According to the Gamespy interview, there will be 4 factions players can belong to fighting against each other, as well as a 5th faction representing a common enemy. Whether players can switch allegiance is currently unknown, but likely.

Structured PvP

Structured PvP is similar to today's GvG. It will allow you to enter the game at maximum level with all skills, races, items and classes automatically unlocked.

Notes

• On March 27th Gaile Gray said that Guild Wars 2 will have Holiday events too.
    • Based on release dates and the PC Gamer interview, it is fair to assume that the team who made Nightfall will also make GW:EN, and the team who made Factions has started work on GW2, however the Factions and Nightfall credits make it clear that there is considerable overlap between the two teams.
    • Gaile has stated that a Collector's Edition was most likely.

imageimage