Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will we ever see a Planetside 2?

13»

Comments

• borguk1of9borguk1of9 Member Posts: 38

No, there isn't anything out there that is a true MMOFPS yet to rivial PS.

Playing Call of Duty: World of War at the moment, 24v24 fights on tiny maps soon gets boring.

Few wannabes coming out but nothing to match, we need Planetside 2, and not restricted to console, FPS on consoles suck.

• NullsoldierNullsoldier Member Posts: 14

Yes, you are referring to Huxley. Huxley is PlanetSide 2. I can't believe there are still so many people that don't know about Huxley or the fact that Huxley is PlanetSide2 isnt socially accepted. Seriously pay attention. I just played the Closed beta for Huxley recently. Yes, it is very win. It uses the Unreal 3 engine and it's not a shitty console gamer's FPS.

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661
    Originally posted by mcharj11

Originally posted by Nullsoldier

Yes, you are referring to Huxley. Huxley is PlanetSide 2. I can't believe there are still so many people that don't know about Huxley or the fact that Huxley is PlanetSide2 isnt socially accepted. Seriously pay attention. I just played the Closed beta for Huxley recently. Yes, it is very win. It uses the Unreal 3 engine and it's not a shitty console gamer's FPS.

Huxley doesn't have hundreds versus hundreds, it has arena's where players have UT or Quake Arena  style battles

Hate to break your bubble, but large scale warfare has been promised, and implemented. Starting at 64 players it is said to be expanded to 250 players. This is the main faction vs. faction server based persistant warfare, like PlanetSide. While there are small battles at 16 players called "Virtual Battles" these are not the main draw.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Problem with Huxley is are we ever gonna see it.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

Huxley, right now, is just guild wars with guns and really boring UT style combat. I think the devs said that they're even only going to launch with 64 players maximum. You can't even compare it to Planetside right now.

The fact that the game is also being developed for the 360 kind of ensures that it will never be truly "massive".

• GeMakieGeMakie Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by nickelpat

Huxley doesn't have hundreds versus hundreds, it has arena's where players have UT or Quake Arena  style battles

Hate to break your bubble, but large scale warfare has been promised, and implemented. Starting at 64 players it is said to be expanded to 250 players. This is the main faction vs. faction server based persistant warfare, like PlanetSide. While there are small battles at 16 players called "Virtual Battles" these are not the main draw.

did a quick look at their FAQ...

Originally from the huxley FAQ
    Will battlefields have "120 men" being 60 vs 60, or 120 vs 120 meaning 120 of your own men (and women!)?
    Instances that are "capped" at 120 players will be 120 people total. We're not aware of how limiting players will work at this time. Whether or not you'll be able to pull of a 119 vs 1 player scenario is yet to be seen. In reality there may be a system of limiting battles to 60 per side.
    So it seems it will be capped at 60 each side... still double of most fpses like bf42 but that's nothing compared to planetside's limits (before they downgraded their servers).

• ultimatum1ultimatum1 Member Posts: 36

Welkin4591 is the real successor to Planetside. It's known among the PS community as Planetside 2 (and if I'm being honest it looks close to exactly like planetside in every way possible).

welkin4591.com/

• NullsoldierNullsoldier Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Zzulu

Huxley, right now, is just guild wars with guns and really boring UT style combat. I think the devs said that they're even only going to launch with 64 players maximum. You can't even compare it to Planetside right now

Gah, looks like i was right then, how disappointing.

Those videos are misleading. They are from the beta where only small scale PVP is enabled and used. How planetside works is that most of the game will take place in Large scale PVP zones where it will be 60vs60, but as someone else said they will increase it to 200 players later making it 100vs100. Howver, if you so choose you can create a "Server" and participate in arena matches where the gameplay mirrors UT exactly. They even included the double damage as well. So, don't hold back just yet. I have a "Friend" in the closed beta and so far the game is better than "He" expected.

• somoneysomoney Member Posts: 18

So I jumped in after 5 years of absense to see where PlanetSide has gone.    New players are serriously pushed to the side, I played for over 2 hours and maybe got 3 kills (Im always in the top 3 in current  fps games) .  Its over run by Vehicles now and new subs dont get the good ones to take em out.   It really appears that they are catering to the regular subscribers and saying FU to the newbs.  Really a bad idea SOE to offer the free month play to let new potential subs know the're not welcom on your LEET servers.

1.  Its not clear where new users can fight with others of there skill level.  It should warn you some how.

(Instant Action should be labled Instant death to new players)

2.  Stutter's:  The game has some network / audio stutters.

(I 'member this when I 1st played in Beta.  I would have thought 5 years should have been enough time to fix this)

The Question isn't:

"Will we ever see a Planet Side "

The Question is:

"Should SOE be allowed to make Planet Side 2, or sell the rights to another company"

I do give my props to SOE for holding it together this long.

• Uranium235Uranium235 Member Posts: 4

Well first of all, people suggesting MAG and Huxley? Planetside was not either of these games. Nobody who played and enjoyed Planetside did it JUST because it was 'a lot of players', or because it was just another Unreal game. Huxley if anything is the worst example there, because that's all it is - a basic boring deathmatcher. It has about as much in common with Planetside as Warhammer Online does. (Also, MAG is a PS3 exclusive, and history has proven how 'awesome' FPS games + Consoles become).

The simple fact is, there is no game similar to Planetside coming out in the foreseeable future. Planetside was a brilliant game that was years ahead of its time, and it along with Tribes 2 (made by the same guy, go figure) , featured depth of gameplay I've yet to see in another game. FPS games these days are about stats, achievements, unlocks, and 'skillz'. Planetside and Tribes 2 both featured intellectual depth - supply lines, strategy, and levels of teamwork that haven't been seen since. How many games these days feature tanks, where the driver has zero control whatsoever on the main gun, and need a dedicated driver? How many games these days have as many non-combat utilities and gadgets as weapons?

Incidentally, last year I tracked down Dave Georgeson, the producer of both Planetside and Tribes 2, and wrote him a letter: 

Tribes 2 - The most phenomenal MPFPS game, utterly quashed by Sierra in an attempt to make money by eliminating all the overhead. And yet, myself and thousands others who were lucky enough to play it still see it as the single best multiplayer shooter made to date.

Planetside - An ambitious and extremely successful endeavor using concepts that were entirely foreign, yet built upon the ideals of depth, intelligence and teamwork established in Tribes 2. A game that left sublime memories of days of past.

Surely after these two games, the 'golden age' of FPS, gaming could only get better! But wait!

What do we have now? Call of Duty 4? GRAW 2? Rainbow Six Vegas 2? How have we fallen so far?! Why are what were once considered the pinnacle of FPS nothing more than a distant memory in aging gamers, who are rapidly become buried in 'mainstream' console gamers who have no appreciation for the past?

I'll admit it...I've stopped playing most FPSs because, simply, they refuse to innovate. It's always the same damned game every time. Drives me insane.

I hope I get to make another FPS someday. In fact, I'd love to get a crack at doing another MMOFPS. I learned a LOT from doing "PlanetSide".

But for now, I'm pretty hooked in with "zOMG!". If I'm lucky, I'll be here for years. So, I'll just have to agitate with my peers to get better games made. And if everything goes to hell here at Gaia (hope not!), then I'll start looking for another FPS gig and do something cool. (I definitely have ideas...)

Thanks for the good words. It's nice to know that someone else is frustrated by the "same old, same old" games that are coming out all the time.

-- Q. (Dave.)

• Miotoss03Miotoss03 Member Posts: 34

The closest game I see coming out in the future to planetside or tribes is Global agenda. It may not have 50 on 50 battles but 60 people work in conjunction to take down lands that contain resorces.

http://www.globalagendagame.com/Media_Videos.html

Originally posted by Miotoss03

The closest game I see coming out in the future to planetside or tribes is Global agenda. It may not have 50 on 50 battles but 60 people work in conjunction to take down lands that contain resorces.
    http://www.globalagendagame.com/Media_Videos.html

While I admit I know next to nothing about it, my first impressions are that it's going to be a VERY arcadey shooter. Over-the-shoulder third person? Are you serious?

http://twitter.com/j_smedley

Planetside next........

You will like......

Speculation roams but I think SOE have seen the saturation of the MMORPG market, realised that WoW has had its day and that there isnt a MMOFPS out there still apart from PS, will there be a 2 ?

• mrg11545mrg11545 Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by borguk1of9

http://twitter.com/j_smedley

Planetside next........

You will like......

Speculation roams but I think SOE have seen the saturation of the MMORPG market, realised that WoW has had its day and that there isnt a MMOFPS out there still apart from PS, will there be a 2 ?

I don't understand what that means but to be able to play a game like PS would be amazing. I have yet to see a game that relied so much on teamwork. I think as one person mentioned nothing was as fun as storming a base with turrets blaring at reavers & mosquito's not to mention gal's dropping their payloads of more troops.

Names Used - Garfinkel, MGarf, Scripter, Mrg11545 etc..

I Demand another Planetside!
    (Copy and paste this into your sig)

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

SOE makes good games, but they have horrible patching.  They just want games with more mass appeal, so they make these intricate games but need to dumb them down.

For some reason, MMO devs don't change the MMO template too often.  I don't know why.  I am content for now, but in say, five years down the road, we better have some innovation.

Sorry to digress.  To answer the question, it will never happen.

Looking back at all my memories of Planetside, very few of them involved bases. The best fights were always OUTSIDE the base walls... the best gameplay was when everyone was BR10 and CR2 or even lower. Getting your team to put pressure on the Barneys in a pitched bridge battle on Ceryshen while your armor column moves up the mountain trails to get behind them...

The base battles were repetitive and boring. Once you got inside it was just 15 or 20 minutes (or however long it was) of banging a stick around to scare them out or spawn camping the tower. Granted it was a nice breather, but I think most people just wanted the hack to finish so we could go on to fight FOR the next base.

Frankly if I were a developer I'd have removed Heavy Assault or at least changed how it worked... made the game way too Quake-y. And don't get me started on the cavern weapons.

• SepticXSepticX Member Posts: 1

I disagree, respectfully, and think that some of my best memories include bases.  Defense of bases.  

I would love farming a crew of zergers in my mossy.  Or owning em while gunning a vanny.   But I really believe the most fun I had was as invis, perched on walls or in trees with a spiker.

Originally posted by SepticX

I disagree, respectfully, and think that some of my best memories include bases.  Defense of bases.  
    I would love farming a crew of zergers in my mossy.  Or owning em while gunning a vanny.   But I really believe the most fun I had was as invis, perched on walls or in trees with a spiker.

I remember a few base defense efforts but I think the base design itself was too moronically vulnerable for my tastes :) I think they were tech plants, where the generator was inside its OWN BUILDING on the roof, making it almost completely impossible to hold the base.

And that stupid back door with the key hidden under the mat? Come ON.

The biggest problem I had with base defense was that it was almost impossible to win. Defending a base was about lasting for as long as possible, not pushing the enemy back. Either they'd hack the base, or you'd flip to Neutral eventually. A good example of how 'flawed' Planetside itself was.

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

It is true, Planetside 2 is coming!  I eat my words.

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• mmolpver88mmolpver88 Member Posts: 11

I  heard about a new MMOFPS game named Mars War is coming soon. I just view the game homepage,and it is really similar to the planetside.

Here is the link:  http://www.mmolover.com/mars/   You can take a look!

• Berserker202Berserker202 Member Posts: 44

Is planetside 2 coming? Short answer, Yes!

Long answer?

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES