Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is ShadowBane the trully RPG?

neoheroneohero Member Posts: 2

hello guys,

im a newbie in SB and would like to know if this game is really a RPG* or just an Grindfest...

Comments

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

People still play this I thought it bombed after the hack on release...LOL.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I haven't played for many years, but it is my understanding that these days SB is really just a PVP game....

Most people who join these days find someone to powerlevel them to the top level within matter of days where the real game takes place, with numerous pvp battles against the top level players....

If this is correct, then its not much of an RPG IMO.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Akeron111Akeron111 Member Posts: 4
    grindfest? mmm no... you can level characters very quickly and have a lot of flexibility on what you want them to do.

RPG? kinda... you can make your character almost any way you like (no you cant wear heavy armor on a mage :p )

But yeah the main object of the game is to kill other players/destroy their cities. Some of us still play.
  • -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

We burn people in the name of Malorn.

Is that RPG enough for you?

Shadowbane has a great lore backing and you have the choice to follow it or do whatever you want to.  Most other games out there don't allow that type of freedom.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• neoheroneohero Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by -Zeno-

Shadowbane has a great lore backing and you have the choice to follow it or do whatever you want to.  Most other games out there don't allow that type of freedom.

ok Zeno...  FREEDOM is the right key for a RPG.... everyone talk to me about SB as just an PVP game, and i wanna more.

but like u said " is that RPG enough for you?  well,  for aswer this question we need to know what heck is a RPG.

RPG: game where the quests and secret are most important than PVP ... a game with craft , exploration and party are most important than PVP also.... a game where PVP is just a High End..... a quest based game and not a grindfest....  THAT IS RPG FOR ME.

my question still:   is shadowbane a RPG ?

• TraxbroTraxbro Member Posts: 16

The RPG part of shadowbane is in the guild warfare, not in solo play.  Solo play would basicly be simple leveling or powerleveling.  You can't call it a grind because you level so fast.  The detail in the game is the full character customization.  There's 4 base classes and like 20 professions,  40ish disciplines.  Not only are there many combinations of those things, there's also different ways to make the same thing.  When you make an assassin or warlock or whatever, the odds of you being similar to the assassin or warlock next to you is extremely low.   

Aside from that, there's more politics and diplomacy in Shadowbane than any game before it. and only Eve-online has a similar amount now. 

It develops because of consequences of one's actions.  It's not like normal mmo pvp where guild A tells guild B we don't like you guys.... we're going to kill you and interfere with your questing.    It works more like,  Guild A kills your leveling groups to piss you off and get money, to tide them over 48 hours till the bane on your city goes live.... so they can then proceed to burn your town to the ground and destroy everything you've worked for for months.

Makes you think about it before you piss someone off and act like an r-tard doesn't it?

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Originally posted by neohero

Originally posted by -Zeno-

ok Zeno...  FREEDOM is the right key for a RPG.... everyone talk to me about SB as just an PVP game, and i wanna more.

but like u said " is that RPG enough for you?  well,  for aswer this question we need to know what heck is a RPG.

RPG: game where the quests and secret are most important than PVP ... a game with craft , exploration and party are most important than PVP also.... a game where PVP is just a High End..... a quest based game and not a grindfest....  THAT IS RPG FOR ME.

my question still:   is shadowbane a RPG ?

Taking a realm from another nation is a Quest.  You have to burn down an enemy mine and claim it.  You can kill one of the many epic monsters in the game for special guards for your town and other treasures.  You cant be a cook or a smith, but you can rank a smith to make weapons and armor for you.  There is no major grind but you do have to kill monsters, or players, to gain levels.  You are free to build whatever you want.  A priest that uses a spear instead of healing or buffing you.  A scout that uses a two handed axe instead of a bow.

You have to kill stuff in all games.  Why not kill other players instead?  They are always a lot smarter than NPC's and they actually change instead of asking for the same lost bags all the time!  There is no game with dynamic quests yet.  Come burn in the name of Malorn, or be burned.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.