Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: She Got Game

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Women in Games International has announced that they will be holding a conference along side the Austin Game Developers Conference. The conference, dubbed "She Got Game" will focus on women's issues in games and the wisdom of diversifying the gaming audience.

August 30, 2007---Austin, TX---Women in Games International will hold its next conference on Saturday, September 8 in Austin, Texas. Enntitled "She Got Game," the conference will offer information on current trends in diversifying the games industry talent pool and how these efforts will impact the industry and its products in the future. This half-day seminar provides timely, useful information for women and men alike, as well as new and veteran game developers.

"She Got Game," presented in conjunction with CMP Game Group's Austin Game Developers Conference, will be held on Saturday, September 8, 2007 from 11 am to 5 pm. Speakers include industry experts from Amaze Entertainment, BioWare, Midway, NCsoft, Sony Online Entertainment, Ubisoft, and numerous other games industry companies.

"WIGI and its commitment to organizing these meaningful events is invaluable to the game community," said Izora de Lillard, Event Manager for Austin Game Developers Conference, "The impact of offering this level of information, community and expert information to an often overlooked sector of the industry has been profound. We're proud to be involved." Fiona Cherbak, Chair of WIGI's Strategic Alliances committee, adds "Co-locating this latest WIGI conference at the Austin Game Developers Conference creates a unique opportunity to supplement the overall experience of peers and professionals who attend the various games industry events in Austin this September. This promises to be the most abundant games-related event offering in Austin to date."

Keynote speaker is Dona C Bailey, Professor at University of Arkansas. She was one of the few female game programmers in the industry in the 80's, and was also the programmer and designer responsible for ever-popular Centipede game. "I'm hoping to be helpful to someone now who may be in a situation similar to the one I was in at Atari, said Bailey, " I often wish there had been a group of WIGI colleagues back then from whom I could have gotten advice!"

Find out more here.

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I wonder what their opinion on AoC might be?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

I wonder if male fans are allowed in.

Would be interesting to see what the turn out is...

Guess this means male booth babes...

---

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Is there really a need for a women game converence? I mean..come on.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by Gameloading

That was my thought as well. 

Why do some people STILL feel the need to contrive these insulting Artificial Divisions based on gender and race and culture and politics and religion? ?? 

- Do we now need a Black Game Conference because blacks are somehow "different" when it comes to games? 

- How about a Latino Game Conference? 

- Or an Asian Game Conference?

- Or a Libertarian Game Conference? 

- Or an Atheists Game Conference?

Seriously people, get your head out of the 1980's, stop dividing people, and recognize that Gamers are Gamers.

• DefiledFDefiledF Member Posts: 102

Originally posted by Flummoxed

Why do some people STILL feel the need to contrive these insulting Artificial Divisions based on gender and race and culture and politics and religion? ?? 

- Do we now need a Black Game Conference because blacks are somehow "different" when it comes to games? 

Seriously people, get your head out of the 1980's, stop dividing people, and recognize that Gamers are Gamers.

It's part of 'equality' you know. We all know current game conferences are male only. :3

On a more serious note. Guess they just want to be among the same sort of people. Sure it's sexist in its own ironic way but who cares, really? Let them have their fun, heh.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

Conferances do tend to be an opportunity for developers to show off games. Perhaps this is a move to advertise that there is an active market for female gamers.

---

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by DefiledF

It's part of 'equality' you know. We all know current game conferences are male only. :3

On a more serious note. Guess they just want to be among the same sort of people. Sure it's sexist in its own ironic way but who cares, really? Let them have their fun, heh.

There has never been a male game conference. just because there are booth babes does not mean that its a conference for males. I honnestly don't think there is such a big difference between male and female gamers, or at least nog big enough to dedicate an entire conference to each gender.