Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vista Help Please

Judasgoat98Judasgoat98 Member UncommonPosts: 158

Alright so I just got a new laptop and I was using it and stuff and everything was when going great. However, later that night it crashed when I was installing something. So I ran the reinstallation thing to reinstall vista and whatever. Now its like it was when I got the computer, but the older files from before are still on there. It is taking up like 20 gigabytes to, and everytime I go to delete it, it says Need Permission

Try Again Cancel

 I click try again and still it doesn't work. Can anyone please tell me how to delete the older files or Windows.old?

Comments

  • GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

    image

    image

    image

  • DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,358

    It sounds like you did a second installation of Vista and didn't actually delete the partition nor format the hard drive. I have yet done an install for Vista so I do not know if the setup is similar to past Windows installation.

    Essentially what you will need to do is delete both partitions (the initial created and the newly created) format your harddrive (which Windows installs give the option to do). When you go through the install instructions, carefully read where to go to delete partitions. In xp you would press "d" to continue and delete partitions. It may be the same with Vista.

  • n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317

    Originally posted by Dekron


    It sounds like you did a second installation of Vista and didn't actually delete the partition nor format the hard drive. I have yet done an install for Vista so I do not know if the setup is similar to past Windows installation.
    Essentially what you will need to do is delete both partitions (the initial created and the newly created) format your harddrive (which Windows installs give the option to do). When you go through the install instructions, carefully read where to go to delete partitions. In xp you would press "d" to continue and delete partitions. It may be the same with Vista.
    the menu is a little different now as it is point and click, but you are definately giving the right advice.  The windows.old is the original version of Vista that he installed over which would probably explain why he can't delete the files.

     

    Next time you get a blue screen post it here instead of just reformatting.  It could be an easy for or a hardware issue which means a re-install won't necessary fix the issue.

    member of imminst.org

  • Judasgoat98Judasgoat98 Member UncommonPosts: 158

    Well it said there were hardware failures and there was no way for me to log back in or even go into safe mode, it said to reinstall windows.

  • n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317
    Originally posted by RaidTheSpade


    Well it said there were hardware failures and there was no way for me to log back in or even go into safe mode, it said to reinstall windows.

    if it's a hardware failure on a new laptop you should take it right back to who you got it from.  It's under warranty, get them to fix it.  It's only going to give you problems again if you don't.

    member of imminst.org

  • DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,358
    Originally posted by RaidTheSpade


    Well it said there were hardware failures and there was no way for me to log back in or even go into safe mode, it said to reinstall windows.

    That's a general error message. It actually states if the problem persists to remove any newly installed hardware - reinstalling windows is a last resort. Reboot would have loaded Vista again.

  • Judasgoat98Judasgoat98 Member UncommonPosts: 158

    Ahh well I restarted it again and deleted the partitions or whatever so it's gone now. My advice for people getting a new computer, get xp.

  • DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,358

     



    Originally posted by RaidTheSpade

     

    Ahh well I restarted it again and deleted the partitions or whatever so it's gone now. My advice for people getting a new computer, get Linux.







    Fixed

     

Sign In or Register to comment.