Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question on my internet speed

BahkBahk Member Posts: 259

hey guys, im on a cable modem isp.. it seems pretty slow when playing games, I ran a test and it showed im only getting 800kbs-1.2mb speeds. Im supposed to be getting up to 6mbs, whats wrong here? Please give me some advice thanks.

Comments

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

not understanding the wording of the contract and ad, they're designed to let ISPs lie.

up to 6Mbs, you will always get less.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

when i first got my cable line they advertised it at 5 mbps which i never saw, but over the past year sometime my line has been capped at 2 mbps and IF i want up to 5 there's an additional charge.. bastards.

anyway.. head over to http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest  it lets you compare your line speed to other people in your area with the same ISP.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Reboot your router if you are using one. And then test again.

Routers can seriously dampen your bandwidth.

• Malachi1975Malachi1975 Member Posts: 1,079

Also, what site/service are you using for your speedtest? You'll get varying results from Toast.net, Internetfrog,com, and DSLReports.com

"What is it I have against Microsoft, you ask? Well, you know how you feel when you wait for an MMO to come out and when it does you feel like you've paid to play it's beta test for another 6-9 months before anything even thinks of working the way it should? Being a network engineer you feel that way about anything Microsoft puts out."

• IbextoIbexto Member Posts: 277

The problem with cable internet is simple.  The amount of bandwidth available is limited by the users logged in.  If there was NO ONE but you on-line at your particular hub, you would get 6Mb.  Unfortunately there will always be someone on.  My provider says 10Mb, but I normally get around 4 or 5, yet if I log on at 3 in the morning, I can get up to 17-19.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.