Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard?

why is Vanguard so low rated? whats wrong??  

to me it looks awsome! want to try it out, but if it's worse like people say: don't want to pay the money cauze it's to expensive to me :(

Comments

• griblikgriblik Member Posts: 16

I don't think it's an awful game, but it was massively hyped as being an incredible leap forward in MMOs, which it really isn't. Marketroids, huh?

It's ok, I guess, but the hardware requirements are huge for what the game delivers - it's quite pretty, but nothing amazing. EQ2 looked as good with much higher framerates for me on the same hardware. The quests are the same ones you get in every fantasy MMO - "go over there, kill 25 of those and bring me their ears" - and the customer service was pathetic, frankly. Took me 3 days to get into the game. Still haven't had a reply to any of my questions and that was months ago.

Some people like it though, so if you can get a demo/trial key I'd say try it out. Just don't expect too much.

• Glam.IndieGlam.Indie Member Posts: 56

are there any 7 / 14 day trials? can't find any :(

• NooiTNooiT Member Posts: 93

If thay had a trail going none would buy the game :p

I tried it at release but lost instrest pretty fast, slow moving game, biggest grind fest i've played, but like all games, everyone have their likes and dislikes, if u are intrested in the game u should atleast try it once

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

I dont see how you can say that Vanguard isnt what they made it.

It has a lot of strong points, and a couple down points.

But that was when it first started, i got the game on release, and went through and got quite addicted.

Soooooo many people bought the game, i mean 3 months after it was out when they issues started, there were still SO many people in some areas that you wouldnt even think a monster spawned by how fast it was killed.

People just take words of other people which is stupid, and dont try it out for themself..

Vanguard has its Ups and a couple downs...

But overall, it is its own experience in itself...

Help muh 2 cents helped xD

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065

The game has come quite a way since its awful release, but I think other games are still superior to it (viz., EQ 2).  Nevertheless, there are features to Vanguard that in some ways are a blessing and a curse (a huge world but difficult means of travel).  Actually, speaking of which, Vanguard lacks coherence; i.e., you have a vast world but with a single click you can travel vast distances.  

The class system in Vanguard is quite strong and appealing, although it remains incomplete (Berserker and Inquisitor are still missing). To my knowledge, unless there was a nerf, all classes can solo effectively.   Further, many of the Quests are quite interesting, at least in my view.  The graphics are fairly unique and can seem stunning, but at times the world can actually feel empty and a bit lifeless. 

I actually really do not play the game, anymore.  I hope I can still transfer my character from the PvP server to the non-PvP server.  To be honest, I am not sure what I need to do that.  The server merges should help the game tremendously; I anticipate you will have more stable communities (guilds) emerge that will help to retain populations.  Further, obtaining groups should become easier, and therefore people will not log in and feel bored. 

thank u guys ;)

there's another question i have: i read at the website forum that every new player who bought this game get a buddy key .. is that right?

maybe all of u guys gave them away to ur friends .. but if there's someone who never gave his buddy key away! maybe u could give me? it would be awsome because i don't want to pay this money for only trying it at first ... i also read that they will create a trial island .. but when?!  so if someone can send me a buddy key send me via. the message system here. click on my name and send it to me ..

Thanks.

Gratefully Glamorous.Indie 

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

I can tell some of you people who replied barely even gave Vanguard a try.

Giblik, what level did you get to before you realized VG's quest system was just about killing x amount of gobline and giving y amount of ears??? Like level 10?? I'm sorry to inform you, but the quest system got alot more complex and challenging as you leveled up. There are all types of rated quests from solo to group elite chain quests which yielded the better rewards and had a great story behind them.

I played Vanguard since Beta 2 all the way until the end of April, 3 months after release.. My main reached level 40 before i finally gave up on the game. The performance and bug issue was easy to ignore for a while, but when it became the main reason for wipes, the game just stopped being fun for me. See, when you get into late 20's, that's where VG takes off. The dungeons become alot cooler and more massive, requiring a good 2 hours or so to reach the end. During this time, you try not to make mistakes that will result in a wipe, but almost every big fight consisted of at least one person either losign connection or hitting a massive 10-15 second lag spike. We've become trained and prepared for this which is why we would take our time and make sure we had one large pull at a time. But eventually the wipes due to lag, bug's such as the mobs being able to run through walls, warp,disappear at will, etc just got to frustrating to deal with.. Not to mention seeing sigil nerf all the hard to obtain rare, heroic, and even legendary items and making the regular uncommon blue items more uber caused many people not to even wanna explore and do dungeon rnuns anymore. All people wanted to do was do those darn writs in SW to level fast.

It all became very frustrating fast until I couldnt take it anymore and finally left. I mean, why make a ton of dungeons if you have an easier less stressful way to level? Personally, I loved the challenge and the excitement of venturing into a new dungeon in hopes of working my way to the end to see what surprise awaited me and my group once we got to the end... Most people, even guildies didn't even want to do dungeon runs cause they "were afraid of dying"  That honestly killed it for me. I dont want to sit at one spot for 15 levels doing the same quests over and over again. Thats not fun, it's not what a MMO should be about.. Personally, I think SOE should get rid of those stupid writ quests in southwatch and every other place that has them because it dumbs down the game and causes people not to want to explore at all.

Overall though, I loved everything else about Vanguard. The terrain, dungeons, sound, atmosphere, classes, races, etc. It had it all and I haven't been really addicted to a game like this since EQ 1..

I'm thinking of coming back when  SOE puts more content in like the raid system, but I'm not sure.. I've heard alot of the bugs, and performance issue has been fixed since release and well even since last time i platyed back in early May. So, If it looks appealing to you, go with your gut and not by what a few people who only played the game for 10 mintues said.

Take it from someone who played VG for hours and hours constantly for  3 months,,, the game was alot of fun and would have been great if the performance issue and bugs wasn't so bad back then.  Give it a try and judge it for yourself.

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• JamLDJamLD Member Posts: 59

Glam.Indie,

Check your mail. I sent you a key.

Thank u very much!

• AoConanAoConan Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by oakthornn

I can tell some of you people who replied barely even gave Vanguard a try.
    Giblik, what level did you get to before you realized VG's quest system was just about killing x amount of gobline and giving y amount of ears??? Like level 10?? I'm sorry to inform you, but the quest system got alot more complex and challenging as you leveled up. There are all types of rated quests from solo to group elite chain quests which yielded the better rewards and had a great story behind them.
    I played Vanguard since Beta 2 all the way until the end of April, 3 months after release.. My main reached level 40 before i finally gave up on the game. The performance and bug issue was easy to ignore for a while, but when it became the main reason for wipes, the game just stopped being fun for me. See, when you get into late 20's, that's where VG takes off. The dungeons become alot cooler and more massive, requiring a good 2 hours or so to reach the end. During this time, you try not to make mistakes that will result in a wipe, but almost every big fight consisted of at least one person either losign connection or hitting a massive 10-15 second lag spike. We've become trained and prepared for this which is why we would take our time and make sure we had one large pull at a time. But eventually the wipes due to lag, bug's such as the mobs being able to run through walls, warp,disappear at will, etc just got to frustrating to deal with.. Not to mention seeing sigil nerf all the hard to obtain rare, heroic, and even legendary items and making the regular uncommon blue items more uber caused many people not to even wanna explore and do dungeon rnuns anymore. All people wanted to do was do those darn writs in SW to level fast.
    It all became very frustrating fast until I couldnt take it anymore and finally left. I mean, why make a ton of dungeons if you have an easier less stressful way to level? Personally, I loved the challenge and the excitement of venturing into a new dungeon in hopes of working my way to the end to see what surprise awaited me and my group once we got to the end... Most people, even guildies didn't even want to do dungeon runs cause they "were afraid of dying"  That honestly killed it for me. I dont want to sit at one spot for 15 levels doing the same quests over and over again. Thats not fun, it's not what a MMO should be about.. Personally, I think SOE should get rid of those stupid writ quests in southwatch and every other place that has them because it dumbs down the game and causes people not to want to explore at all.
    Overall though, I loved everything else about Vanguard. The terrain, dungeons, sound, atmosphere, classes, races, etc. It had it all and I haven't been really addicted to a game like this since EQ 1..
    I'm thinking of coming back when  SOE puts more content in like the raid system, but I'm not sure.. I've heard alot of the bugs, and performance issue has been fixed since release and well even since last time i platyed back in early May. So, If it looks appealing to you, go with your gut and not by what a few people who only played the game for 10 mintues said.
    Take it from someone who played VG for hours and hours constantly for  3 months,,, the game was alot of fun and would have been great if the performance issue and bugs wasn't so bad back then.  Give it a try and judge it for yourself.
    I made level 50 in april 2007 and realized the content is lacking and also its kill x to get x quests.

Its lacking alot in content. Quit in paril.

• iffymackiffymack Member Posts: 376

vanguards like standing on a shore looking at a beautiful lake full of dolphins and mermaids beckoning you to come in and join them in their paradise. But once youre in,you realise that the lakes actually one big puddle. The dolphins are all leaving in droves,and the mermaids arent actually in the lake yet(theyre coming in later).

You decide to keep going in to see if it gets any deeper,but youre wearing concrete boots and are moving very slowly,and the waters still isnt past your shins. Youre pleased to see a dolphin,but he whispers you with a whimsical message to buy gold from his website.

Eventually the mermaids come in,but theyre very lifeless,and sometimes they face away from you whilst youre trying to speak to them. Youre all alone,and the only way you can speak to anyone is watching little coloured dots moving up and down on a chart.

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

I quit due to hardware issues and Windows Vista.

Came back recently and content is getting there, still a little too routine at high levels (faction grind).

I got my first toon to 50th and have started a new one, halfling ranger.

Have to say the low level content has had a serious boost, its much better than before and more varied.

Hopefully the raid content coming will make a difference to the max levels.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• DelphianDelphian Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by iffymack

vanguards like standing on a shore looking at a beautiful lake full of dolphins and mermaids beckoning you to come in and join them in their paradise. But once youre in,you realise that the lakes actually one big puddle. The dolphins are all leaving in droves,and the mermaids arent actually in the lake yet(theyre coming in later).
    You decide to keep going in to see if it gets any deeper,but youre wearing concrete boots and are moving very slowly,and the waters still isnt past your shins. Youre pleased to see a dolphin,but he whispers you with a whimsical message to buy gold from his website.
    Eventually the mermaids come in,but theyre very lifeless,and sometimes they face away from you whilst youre trying to speak to them. Youre all alone,and the only way you can speak to anyone is watching little coloured dots moving up and down on a chart.

Am I tripping on shrooms or playing Vanguard?

• shukes33shukes33 Member Posts: 1,051

what type of game does the OP like? VG is a very open game that seems to reward exploration more than most games. most players will come and try to level fast and the game becomes a grind, but thats only because they are "grinding" you will hear that word a lot by players with little imagination. you can choose to grind or not. i have just got my pc fixed and been playing solid for 2 days after having a month break and i have soloed for the 2 days due to not trusting my pc not to crash! luckily it hasn't once so maybe i can start to group again :)

during these 2 days i have explored doing various quests that i come across. then moving on to the next place. i have levelled from 20 to 23 in this time and got some nice upgrades. i understand why people dont want to grind, what i dont understand is why they just dont?

OP if you want a huge varied world with lots to do then give it a go, whats there to lose?