Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars start up tutorial for new players

Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

OK, I knocked up this lil tutorial for setting up GW for both my guild website and station forum and thought it may help new players here too...

Ok, first off you need the client to play Guild Wars, so lets clear up all the issues people have with it and getting started:

1, installing the client

Ok, first off, don't install from the disk, its a pain in the butt! Instead, grab it here:

K, when thats downloaded, install from that file

When its installed, you should have an icon on the desktop, right click on this and make a copy, then right click on the desktop and click paste. This will then create a second Guild Wars icon.

Once you have the second icon, right click on it and rename the icon to "Guild Wars Image" or similar (as your going to hide this icon later anyway, it doesn't matter what you call it).

Right click on your Guild Wars shortcut and select 'Properties'. You'll then find this:

In the 'Target Area' field you will see the location of your Guild Wars executable file:

"C:Program FilesGuild WarsGw.exe"

Write the desired command line arguments after the quote marks (as I've done in the image above):

"C:Program FilesGuild WarsGw.exe" -image

Click apply, then click ok, then double click the icon to start it and the client will start and find and download all relevant and up to date game files and decompress them, this makes the game so much faster and saves people waiting whilst you load an area that you haven't been to before

Now, whilst this is doing its thing, move the icon you just made into the Startup section in your start menu (click All Programs and goto "Startup", right click on it and click explore to open a file window) by clicking and dragging into the file window. This will now make the installer check for updates whenever you start up your PC, meaning your always up to date and if you watch your start up, you also see if there has been an update so you can go and see whats been changed (if your as anal as me that is ;) )

Now, the imaging can take anywhere between an hour to 5/6 hours depending on your connection, time of day and timezone (for the server it will connect to), so whilst your doing this, go and have a good read through of the official Guild Wars Wiki to get to know the game better

2, Getting the game up and running

Ok, once you've done the full image, now you need to get into it

Double click on the Guild Wars icon image thats still on the desktop to start up the client and get into the game.

you'll then see the log in screen:

now before you log in, press F11 to bring up the options menu and change the game options to how you want them (screen resolution, graphics and sound options, etc!)

Ok, to log in, enter the email address you made your account with, this is your log in and can never be changed, you can change the email address on the account at any time by pressing the Edit Account button at the bottom, aswell as add extra game key codes, change your personal details and also your password, but your original email address will always be your log in, so make sure you don't forget it!

ok, enter your log in and password for your account and you'll be taken to the character select screen:

on here, you can either start a new character or select a character your already playing, but this tutorial is for new players, so we'll go by you not having a character...

next click one of the free character spaces and you'll be taken to the chapter selection:

here just select the chapter you want to make your character in. for more details, click on the links below:

*Remember, there is no character creation in Guild Wars: eye of the North, but info is added here for general information*

Now you'll be in the profession selection screen:

Propecies = 6 core professions imageimageimageimageimageimage

Factions = 6 core professions + Assasin and Ritualistimageimageimageimageimageimage + imageimage

Nightfall = 6 core professions + Dervish and Paragonimageimageimageimageimageimage + imageimage

You cannot make an Assasin, Ritualist, Dervish or Paragon from the Prophecies character creation. Plus, you can only make these four from their respective chapters creations ('Sin and Rit from Factions, Derv and para from nightfall)

Once you have made your character and named them, you are good to go and enjoy the game

imageimage

Comments

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I didn't think it was hard enough for a guide. You should considering watching through your text and trying to change some of the words. You often start a paragraph with the same word some times in a row. It's funnier to read if you vary it a bit.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210
    Originally posted by Godliest

I didn't think it was hard enough for a guide. You should considering watching through your text and trying to change some of the words. You often start a paragraph with the same word some times in a row. It's funnier to read if you vary it a bit.

It's not meant to be fun, its meant to be informative, and i copy/pasted it from my guild and station forums as i thought it would be helpful to new players here that are just jumping in, not to Vets like yourself

imageimage

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

Some people appear to be born simply to piss all over other people's work. Nice guide.

Later.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by Godliest

You would be surprices how many ppl don't know what -image is and how to start playing GW.

Good Job =]

• glommaglomma Member Posts: 209

Wel, i didnt know about the -image command.

I do now, thanks alot.

Thumbs up.

Originally posted by glomma

Wel, i didnt know about the -image command.
    I do now, thanks alot.
    Thumbs up.

Your very welcome, enjoy

imageimage

• Shaggy67Shaggy67 Member Posts: 76

Thanks for the great guide it will help a lot of peopleout with the game.Kudos to you for taking the time to make a guide for us less fortunate ones. 

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Nice guide, except I don't get what's hard about installing from the disks?

Originally posted by VIOL@TION

Nice guide, except I don't get what's hard about installing from the disks?
    The disks are very out of date and the Image command downloads and decompresses the most upto date version of the software...  although it doesn't get rid of any old stuff, just pushes it to one side

if you use teh installer here, its the base installer with none of the specific gumph from any of the chapters, so if you do an image after installing from this clean installer, you get the smallest and most relevant download with little to no junk

imageimage