Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leveling - how is it?

JKJKJKJK Member Posts: 41

How hard (or easy) is it to level to the max cap? Is leveling fun (with meaningful quests and such) or just a big repetitive grind like WoW?

Comments

• shadout00shadout00 Member Posts: 253

The leveling in EQ2 has improved over the years. Recently I started up a fury after a hiatus of several months. I am now 41 with 49 AA and I love it. I have been questing non stop and not grinding. Since I can teleport to different zones it makes it much easier for me to get quests, grab and go. I don't group much, probably only spent about a whole level grouping just to get those extra AA exp from named mobs....AA exp is basically the WoW skill tree except with 100 levels. You get AA exp from killing named mobs, finishing quests and discovering new areas (once per attempt). This puts a richer feel into what you do and promotes people to quest and group rather than to grind all day. I would say nothing compares to the simplicity of WoW leveling (since the best way to level is to grind non stop) but honestly in 90% of MMO's grind is usually the best way to get EXP. I will say though, however, the quest grind in EQ2 is way more fun than WOW when I played....they switched spots over the past couple years.

All in all EQ2 takes longer to get to 70 than WoW. You can expect to spend probably 8-10 days with questing in EQ2. In WoW I believe you can hire a Chinese gold farmer to get you to 50 in what, 3 days? Then to 70 in another 3 days. These are all playing times. EQ2 is also a harder game in my opinion...probably because it started off as a grouping game rather than a soloing game.

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614

It's pretty easy actually. Not too far off from WoW in how long it takes. The big difference is CHOICES. You have so many more choices in EQ2. You can quest the whole way. Quest part of the way. No questing at all. Heck, I know characters that level to 30 without killing a single mob. Plus you can solo, group or raid throughout the whole game from 20-70 at any time. Solo all the way, group all the way, and if you got enough friends, raid at any level. Whatever toots your whistle.

The gameplay is as easy to play as WoW, but much more to master. Easy to play, hard to master. That's the greatest thing I like about EQ2. Run a group through Sanctum of Scaleborn, and it's pretty easy, you get good stuff, and you have fun. Run a group through Nizara, and it's pretty hard, you get good stuff, and you have fun. Choices.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• JKJKJKJK Member Posts: 41

As a former EQ player, does EQII differ from the original in a huge way? I want a game that's as close to classic EQ as possible...could playing EQII give me some of that nostalgic feeling back? Also, what's the story behind EQII? I understand it is like 500 years after the original and is the story involved in with the questing and such? Thanks.

• shadout00shadout00 Member Posts: 253

EQ was basically the major gateway for all these games. The game itself I enjoyed so very much...its flaws and greatness. I think now you will never find a game that is like EQ and all the games that are going to be like it just suck. EQ was just so open that there were no guidelines which made the game fun in its way. EQ2 has a much more structured combat system when comparing the two. You'll just have to give it a shot.

With that said the closest game to EQ is EQ2 only because of the lore and familiarity. If you're looking for a game JUST like EQ there is nothing, I think, that compares.

Originally posted by JKJK

As a former EQ player, does EQII differ from the original in a huge way? I want a game that's as close to classic EQ as possible...could playing EQII give me some of that nostalgic feeling back? Also, what's the story behind EQII? I understand it is like 500 years after the original and is the story involved in with the questing and such? Thanks.

Gameplay is different, as the combat is different, but similar, death is easier to bear, tradeskilling is more involved, and a lot of added ways to advance. AA's are similar, but different. Questing is better, as it is easier, but more engaging. You'll find a lot of similarities in gameplay, but you'll notice it's a lot more casual friendly, and there are more rules to get used to. It doesn't take long at all to get used to it though, and you can use the exact same EQ1 settings. There is a hot button in options that flips everything for you.

Yes, EQ2 is very nostalgic. There are actual places still in the game that existed in EQ1. There is TONS of lore and graffiti and structures that have withstood the test of time. There are even a few very recognizable NPC's you'll remember. (and their disposition is no better than in EQ1, LOL) The lore from EQ1 to EQ2 is incredible, and you'll be awe stricken if you're into the lore and stories and how everything happened. The Shattering is 500 years after EQ1 and it is fully explained. There are even stories of the current NPC's and how they survived (or not). Brilliant literature and clues and engaging quests everywhere.

Basically, here's a synopsis of happenings since EQ1:

The Council of Gods:  This happened in the EQ1 timeline, after the LoY expansion but before GoD. ~400 years ago I would guess.

The War of the Fay:  This happened rather shortly after EQ1 and EQ2 diverged, no idea how long it lasted.  ~400-350 years ago I would guess.

The Invasion of the Nexus: Occurs after the initiation of hostilities in the War of the Fay as noted by Kassanya in another thread. ~400-300 years ago I would guess.

The Halfling Attack on Neriak:  Happens some time after the War of the Fay began, could be before or after the Attack on the Nexus. ~375-350 years ago I would guess.

The Awakening of the Ogres and 2nd Rallosian War:  Happens after the Invasion of the Nexus, does not last too long anywhere with the possible exception of Luclin. ~350-300 years ago I would guess.

The Rending: ~150-100 years ago I would guess

The Shattering: ~15-10 years ago, without guessing.

Found at: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=186528

This is all garnered from in-game lore. It's all there in the game if you're willing to look for it. There's also stories for many of the major NPC's from both games down through the ages.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

Wow, that is really some great info! I had no idea the lore was tied together so nicely and the story seems to be a great one in EQII.

Now should I wait till the Rise of Kunark expansion to play or just go out and get EoF?

BTW, what are some examples of the same npcs from EQ? What zones are there that are from the original EQ and are they different? A screenshot comparison would be awesome!

I think you'll recognize a few NPC's. There are a LOT of zones that are named exactly the same as EQ1 places, but they've changed a bit.

Here's the bouncers from Feerrott, but they been dead a while. There are also the dragoons in Nektulos, same names as the ones in EQ1, but they're skeletons now.

You'll probably recognize these guys too. Check out what they STILL drop as loot after 500 years. 

If you remember Rivervale, it was the home of the Halflings. Well... not so much any more. I tried to get a ss of Mangler, but he wasn't up. He's the decendant of the killer dog in one of the halfling houses. Many a newb died to him in EQ1. But I did get a couple others.

Then we move to Everfrost, the ex-home of the barbarians. Some familiar faces there.

Of course, Everfrost wouldn't be complete without Permafrost, now would it:

And who "rules the roost" in Permafrost? She's dead though, there is a quest where you learn how she died. Let's just say Nagafen was very upset. You actually get to ressurect her for a little while and she tells you her story. This ghost here is a contested X4 raid mob.

Since we're on the subject, here's Lavastorm:

Here's Solusek Eye:

And way down there, at the bottom, about a 1 hour trip if you don't fight one single thing, you get to meet:

Nagafen is the biggest baddest dragon in the game. He's still 30 levels above level cap, and no hope of being able to beat him. But he gave me an awesome sword, so I can't complain. 

With the EoF expansion came Unrest:

And Crushbone, with Emperor Crush (I didn't get a screenshot because he's part of a ring event that's lame as a 70th level, I'll save him for you to find and fight at the appropriate level) and this Guy:

It feels really good to kick his butt every night. 

Then there's the toughest dungeon in the game. Abandon all hope those that enter Castle Mistmoore:

Seriously, take a REALLY good group, because this place is NO JOKE. Of course it wouldn't be complete without the owner of the place:

A lot of the dragons are still alive. We're killing Wuoshi tomorrow, so I'll have a screenshot of him tomorrow. Venekor, Talendor, Gorenaire, all from EQ1, and all still alive and very powerful.

Fippy Darkpaw has a decendent you'll meet in a quest. You'll also meet Lucan D'Lere, yes the original, in a couple quests. I won't explain why he's still alive, I'll let you go through the lore and figure it out. I should have gotten a ss of him in the SoD quest, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time.

Wow, that's an awesome post thanks. Really brought back some memories I have to admit especially of Permafrost/Everfrost my favorite places in Norrath.

• coorsman66coorsman66 Member UncommonPosts: 87

That was an awesome post. being a vet of eq1 and dont have time for eq2 anymore. that brought back memories

imageFuck the world, for all its worth,Every inch of planet earth!image

• _Jord__Jord_ Member Posts: 228

What is with all the misconceptions about WoW?

THE FASTEST WAY TO LEVEL IN WOW IS TO DO QUESTS IN A LOGICAL ORDER.

People who grind ... well ... missed the boat on that one.

I'm on WoW haitus right now... I just login a couple times a week to get my arena games in (top 50 team, right now) but the rest of the time I scan the web for something new ... EQ2 just seems like too big of a time/energy commitment for 8 months until WAR.

------
    Played - UO, FFXI, WAR, WoW, EVE
    Currently - Bored.