Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats it like?

Hey there

Well I am interested in playing LotRO because I have followed the game since before it's release and I played the open beta just before it was released. I wasn't able to buy it at the time of release due to being busy in real life. So here I am and now I am considering buying the game again but first I have a few questions.

1.) Aren't everyones characters all rather samey seeing as though there are only 4 races so the race/class combinations are very limited?

2.) I have heard that there is hardly anything to do at end game and once you reach level cap the only thing to do is to restart the game with a new character.

3.) Are there any end game raids and stuff like that to get better gear such as armour and weapons etc.

If anyone could answer these questions for me it is much appreciated.

Thanks for your help and time.

Comments

• rishakirishaki Member Posts: 181

I played this game aswell as many other games. TBH i think there are many Free mmorpgs thats better than this game. It got many issues and only Casual gamers can get satesfied if even those.

1. Combat is somewhat bad, no real timings, counters ect. boring. Misterel is decent thoe.

2. The game got graphic going for it.. atleast ladscape. Chars and especially HORSES looks so dam ugly,  char costumation is poor aswell.

3. No real balance for pvp, AT ALL, some might claim pvp is nonexsistant.

4. No endgame, NONE whatsoever. There is 1 raid instance but the rewards from that instance is worse than some crafteble crit items at lvl 4x, thoe noone deserv good reward for compleating that instances since its really easy. Other than that we got the boring instances at lvl 45-50. Boring why? ITS SO EASY, dosent take much.. .strategy, teamwork or skill. Just lots and lots of mobs to get past, i had hard time to stay awake. Crafting is in no way balanced like in LA2 since the economy is pritty bad.

Íf you are a wow player you might aswell stick with it since this game is totall ripoff but worse, way way worse. And i am NOT a fan of wow but its much more of a game than this. This game wasent compleated to begin with but most dident know this in beta, even so it did not apeal to most of beta players wich explain lack of population. Concidering he hype and lore it should really be a wow killer wich many claimed befor release.  I dident suffer from bugs and lagg thoe so thats a plus. I aswell as many in my kindship felt like there wasent much motivation to play and when i left the game whole kindship fell apart even thoe many of my IRL frindes was left in it. Most was at point of break up just a few months after release.

Still its worth 3/10 for beutifull landscape ( at max settings), thought out trait system and nice epic lore quests.

For casual players who like LOTRO but wont get upset about the many misses lore wise, this might be worth a shot.

• DarkerFateDarkerFate Member UncommonPosts: 100

Originally posted by rishaki

Random gibberish.

I'm sorry, but your words hurt my eyes and my brain.  They make so little sense.

I won't go as far as say that LotRO is perfect, it has it's flaws.  But those flaws are nowhere near as big as what most Free MMO's have.

PvP is fine, it's consenting, meaning you have a designated area for it.  Open PvP is called ganking, it's not fun for those that don't want it.

The first thing you want to do in LotRO is get some friends, this game is built around friendship, that's how I view it at least.  But then, it's the nature of most MMO's.  Without someone to talk to, it will die.

Gamer by nature,
    poet by heart.

• rishakirishaki Member Posts: 181

Originally posted by DarkerFate

Originally posted by rishaki

Random gibberish.

I'm sorry, but your words hurt my eyes and my brain.  They make so little sense.

I won't go as far as say that LotRO is perfect, it has it's flaws.  But those flaws are nowhere near as big as what most Free MMO's have.

PvP is fine, it's consenting, meaning you have a designated area for it.  Open PvP is called ganking, it's not fun for those that don't want it.

The first thing you want to do in LotRO is get some friends, this game is built around friendship, that's how I view it at least.  But then, it's the nature of most MMO's.  Without someone to talk to, it will die.

Listen to the fanboi and you will for sure be disepointed :P I was in many ways, even thoe i thought the game was weak from lvl 10+ i tryed it, all the way and for me.. rather play Vanguard, atleats its somewhat diffrent :P

• DarkerFateDarkerFate Member UncommonPosts: 100

Don't call me a fanboy, I've been playing for 4 days, this time around.

You just make it sounds worse then it is.  There are a lot of people out there that like it a lot, I like it.  I don't love it.

Gamer by nature,
    poet by heart.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by d3moliti0n

Hey there
    Hola!
    Well I am interested in playing LotRO because I have followed the game since before it's release and I played the open beta just before it was released. I wasn't able to buy it at the time of release due to being busy in real life. So here I am and now I am considering buying the game again but first I have a few questions.
    I'll start with a little bit of my own impression of the game.
    I tried it in Beta and, honestly, didn't like it. I described it as feeling "claustrophobic"; not unlike the feeling I got from playing DDO. However, I decided to give it a try in retail, hearing alot of good things about it, great reviews from various sources, etc.
    Well I came to find out that what I experienced in Beta was only the starting zone - an "instance", if you will, of one little area deliberately separated from the rest of the game world, in order to help players become acquainted with the game. It was *not*, I learned, at all representative of what it was like once you got out of there.
    Upon leaving the starting area and zoning into Celondim (Elven Hunter here), my first reaction was "whoah". And I think I might have stood there for at least 40 seconds or so just panning the camera around looking at everything. Then I actually went out and started exploring, doing quests... and I have to say the experience has been the same since.
    Needless to say, my impression of the new player area experience was not even close to what it was for the actual full game world. Several weeks later, I'm still playing and enjoying it.
    1.) Aren't everyones characters all rather samey seeing as though there are only 4 races so the race/class combinations are very limited?
    This is one area where you could fairly say the game doesn't quite offer the variety of other games. Is that a "bad thing", though? Well, I guess it depends. I have certainly run past plenty of other Elven Hunters in my time, but have we all looked exactly the same? Naw. Similar, in that there really aren't height options and what-not... but not the same.
    To be fair, though, that's never really bothered me much. Hell, I played Lineage 2 for 1.5 years; you don't get much more "attack of the clones" than that... well except for maybe Archlord or Last Chaos. But anyway... Just wanted to put that in perspective. Uniqueness might rank higher in what you look for than it does for me.
    2.) I have heard that there is hardly anything to do at end game and once you reach level cap the only thing to do is to restart the game with a new character.
    To be frank, this sorta comment always raises an eyebrow with me. You haven't even begun playing yet, you have 50 levels of quests, hunting, exploring and what-not to do... and you're already worrying about end-game?
    The short answer is: No, there probably isn't tons to do at end-game right now.
    The longer answer is: As the game is still new and only includes one of the major regions of the Middle Earth map, and "end-game" accounts for a limited portion of the game overall, there isn't tons to do yet.
    Now, if you waited some months while Turbine added more content and filled the game world out a bit more, and then asked that same question, the answer would likely be very different.
    I think it really boils down to your playstyle. Are you someone who tends to burn through the 1-50 content? If so, then the game might seem limited to you.
    For me, I play it in a much more relaxed manner. I don't feel compelled to level or quest when ever I'm online. I do so when I feel like it. I craft, I harvest materials, explore.. and so on. Actually, as we speak, I have my character parked somewhere in the Evendim region... I decided to run up and check that region out last night (it's awesome). I've been having some fun with the Monster Play part of it and find it to be very entertaining; an interesting variation on the main game and a nice distraction. I think you could safely say I'm one of those people who like to try to experience the game for what it offers and I'll try to experience everything, at least enough to see if I enjoy it or not.
    So for me, "end-game" is an abstract thing that's wayyy off down the road... and I'll get to it when I get to it. I'm sure that by the time I get to end-game, there'll be lots more to do.
    However, for someone whose interest is primarily in end-game, burns through content quickly and would waste little time in getting there...  yeah, I guess it would still be limited at this point and you'd likely hit a wall of "what else is there?" Heh... I remember the WoW forums lighting up soon after its release for the same reason.
    3.) Are there any end game raids and stuff like that to get better gear such as armour and weapons etc.
    I'll defer to those who are actually at end game to answer that, since I'm not there yet :)
    If anyone could answer these questions for me it is much appreciated.
    Thanks for your help and time.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to play!

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops