Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problem with the client and booting it

kinky10kinky10 Member UncommonPosts: 215

I've downloaded the client onto my desktop (something I don't wish to repeat after 17 gig !) and the game ran fine but I've had a problem with my GPU which I've had to send away so I'm unable to play it on the desktop.

I thought as seeing as I had got all the game files I'd copy them over to my laptop as that is more than capable of running the game.

Here's the problem, I've installed the game fully and it runs through its game file check ok and gives me the play button but when I press it, it starts as if its going to load but then it just stops at the desktop and nothing happens.

Its as if I've clicked exit instead of play.

I've tried the repair tool and the modify tool and they are fine, all the files are there as the Add/Remove programs reports 18Gig of program but it just won't boot from the laptop.

I've tried using a different install method where I just install the loader then copy the game files accross but it doesn't want to know.

Can anyone advise why it won't work? I'm not likely to get my GPU repaired back for another 2 weeks at best and I really want to put some time into this game.

I don't want to download the whole client again to my laptop as it took over a day to do it and I have all the files there ready so I can't undertand why it won't launch?

Any ideas

Cheers

Comments

• AlchemdaAlchemda Member Posts: 179

Did you copy over the install files or the game folder itself. If you copied over the game folder itself with out actually installing on the machine, there may be some registry keys missing and it's not able to start the game. If you have the game files (the .bin files and the exe file) I'd reinstall the game and repatch. It takes a couple hours but that may work. I've had similar issues with other games, but other than that I'm not quite certain. I had the game install files and transferred them over to my newly built machine, installed it, patched it, and was able to go right in.

Hope that helps in some way

----------------------
    Played (In order of favorite first to least): DAOC, EQ2, EVE, WOW, Vanguard, AC2, City of __, Guild Wars, LOTRO, EQ, Sword of New World, FFXI, Lineage 2, Second Life, DDO, Anarchy Online, RF Online, Archlord, Uru, Ragnarok Online, Shadowbane, Planetside, Auto Assault, Ryzom, Matrix Online, Horizons, Entropia, Sims, Runescape, Lineage 1, AC1, Dungeon Runners

• kinky10kinky10 Member UncommonPosts: 215

Hi

I dont have the .exe from the Cd sadly as it all came from the patcher direct from from the station portal.

Now I have the files is there a way to install it as if it was reading from the HD?

I have the web .exe which installs the patcher program.

I've tried pointing the installation folder at using the .exe but with real luck.

Originally posted by kinky10

Hi

I dont have the .exe from the Cd sadly as it all came from the patcher direct from from the station portal.
    Now I have the files is there a way to install it as if it was reading from the HD?

I have the web .exe which installs the patcher program.
    I've tried pointing the installation folder at using the .exe but with real luck.

Thats what I was talking about, I downloaded the 4 or 5 (dont remember) binfiles from the sony site and the exe. You run the exe and it starts the install of the game, then you load the launcher and you start the patch. I just wanted to make sure you actually reinstalled the game using the install files  you downloaded from sony rather than just moving your vanguard game directy to the new computer.

----------------------
    Played (In order of favorite first to least): DAOC, EQ2, EVE, WOW, Vanguard, AC2, City of __, Guild Wars, LOTRO, EQ, Sword of New World, FFXI, Lineage 2, Second Life, DDO, Anarchy Online, RF Online, Archlord, Uru, Ragnarok Online, Shadowbane, Planetside, Auto Assault, Ryzom, Matrix Online, Horizons, Entropia, Sims, Runescape, Lineage 1, AC1, Dungeon Runners

Hmm what are the bin files called as I can't see them anywhere.

The way I'm doing it is

1: start exe file -this takes around 15 seconds and puts on the basic Sony Station info

2: when I start the game via the station launcer it tries to download the whole lot from the net instead of using the files I already have on the HD.

So how do I get it to use those first, at the moment I'm dragging all those files into the directory then the game spends about 10 mins doing a full file scan but when I start up it up after that it. still wont run.

I need to locate these bin files and get the game to use those somehow.

Can you remember how you did it bud?

sorry mate they are cab files

VGD.exe

data2.cab

data3.cab

data4.cab

data5.cab

Can obtain it here https://store.station.sony.com/digitalDistribution/base/detail.jsp?SKU=VGDRE-DD-SW0107-VGDREL and clicking buy now. (Brings me directly to the downoad screen) I'm assuming you bought the game digitally?

That is the digital version of the 5 cd's necessary, just run the exe and it will reinstall vanguard. Launching vanguard with start the launcher, login and it should start the download process for the patches. Trust me, do it before you go to bed as it can take like 4+ hours. After fully patched and ready to play I recommend a full file scan. Click view details in the launch pad, I belive and select full system scan (dont remember, I'm at work) and give it a go.

Like I said this will reinstall the game on this new computer if you just moved the vanguard folder from one computer to another w/o reinstalling the game. If that link doesnt work for you for some reason you either need to log in or you didnt do the digital download previously. if you dont want to redownload and you still have those cab files you can move them to your new machine (if you have another crappy vid card in mean time to get it to boot).

Thats about all I can help ya with as far as I know. You could also check the event viewer (Right click My Computer > Manage > event viewer > application) see if you have any errors or entrys relating to vanguard. Also check the system section as well.

Hope this gets you on the right track, if not try new video drivers, or check your process tab in task manger and see if VGclient.exe is running.

Best of luck

----------------------

Right thanks for this, well I think i've worked out the problem.

I downloaded the entire game using the station patcher, so I don't beleive I have those .cab install files which means if I want to port the game over I have to download it all again all 18 GIG to my laptop,

I cannot beleive Sony or Sigil would do something like this...actually come to think of it yes I can, What a bunch of clowns.

But thanks for helping me work out why its not working, appreciate it.

Originally posted by kinky10

I downloaded the entire game using the station patcher, so I don't beleive I have those .cab install files which means if I want to port the game over I have to download it all again all 18 GIG to my laptop,

I did that for beta. But after release I just wouldent trust downloading that much data through a patcher like that. You could very well of downloaded a bad file, which a full file check "should" find. Anyway hope getting the game files the other way can fix your problem. Best of luck.

----------------------

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984
    Vanguard writes a log when starting. Read it, maybe it gives a hint about whats missing. Either a broken path because the game was on, let say, F: and now is on C:. Or its a know problem with notebooks where GPUs are often not recognized correctly. Try and read the log