Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starwars Galaxies Making a comeback ??

Comments

• AarghAargh Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by Obraik

SWG isn't dieing, and since it's seeing more people starting to play, that means it's making a comeback - which is another way of saying it's population is increasing.

Yeah, I agree.  The Ahazi server population went from 6 to 12.  That's like... 3 times the population.  Maybe even as high as 2 and a half times... SWG is making a comeback, for sure..... 

-- When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather; not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

• johnnychangsjohnnychangs Member UncommonPosts: 261

Even if it is making a comeback (which its not), I would never play SWG again.

The only reason I resubbed earlier this year was for crafting. Come to find out they took the fun out of crafting as well.

R.I.P.

• flakesflakes Member Posts: 575
    Originally posted by Suvroc

Originally posted by sadnebula

Could be, It Seems that some of the gamers out there are so tired of the new breed of games, they're revisiting older games and finding them to be as good or better. Me I tried swg, no complaints, now I've backed all the way  up to AC and having a ball.  
    I have to say I had more fun playing swg and now Ac than i did playing the last few new games that have come out.
    I believe this to be a problem with a stagnant market of MMO's. There hasn't been much recent innovation in the genre causing people to float from one game to another searching for something different and exciting.

This market is becoming saturated quite rapidly, and therefore originality and innovation is needed to secure a steady and loyal player base.

We need real choices, and not just the same gameplay wrapped up in a new skin.

Yep seeing the same thing happen.I went back to planetside a few weeks ago and the numbers are rapidly going up there too it seems.My outfitleader told me he hadn't seen an increase of players for a long time but since a month or 4 they are increasing  "big" in comparison to a year back or so.For me it had the same reason..nothing new now worth entioning so got back to what i liked.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by flakes

Originally posted by Suvroc

Originally posted by sadnebula

Could be, It Seems that some of the gamers out there are so tired of the new breed of games, they're revisiting older games and finding them to be as good or better. Me I tried swg, no complaints, now I've backed all the way  up to AC and having a ball.  
    I have to say I had more fun playing swg and now Ac than i did playing the last few new games that have come out.
    I believe this to be a problem with a stagnant market of MMO's. There hasn't been much recent innovation in the genre causing people to float from one game to another searching for something different and exciting.

This market is becoming saturated quite rapidly, and therefore originality and innovation is needed to secure a steady and loyal player base.

We need real choices, and not just the same gameplay wrapped up in a new skin.

Yep seeing the same thing happen.I went back to planetside a few weeks ago and the numbers are rapidly going up there too it seems.My outfitleader told me he hadn't seen an increase of players for a long time but since a month or 4 they are increasing  "big" in comparison to a year back or so.For me it had the same reason..nothing new now worth entioning so got back to what i liked.

And just imagine what the repercussions will be like to all of these games once something is released that delivers on the innovation they promise.

Much like SWG was affected by WoW on it's release I fear the same will happen again here and many other games. It's difficult to become attached to a community again knowing that this may be a strong possibility.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Originally posted by raymerjacque

and you got this information from where ?
    I have been playing SWG for a long, long, long, long time. and this is the first time i have seen a add on the game interface. i know they have recruited in the past, but that was so long ago that it feels like a lifetime ago. this add is clearly not the one you speaking about.
    Ah, an Ad for jobs within the game. 

And what purposes are Ads used for? (Think about it, besides pointing out the obvious, what are the other reasons.)

As for sources:

Official SOE site for careers and Craigslist.  That's two publically available sources for you to reference.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

SWG has improved and is most likely growing. My concern is that I've seen more free trial offers than straight advertisements or announcements coming from SOE/LA.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by IcoGames

SWG has improved and is most likely growing. My concern is that I've seen more free trial offers than straight advertisements or announcements coming from SOE/LA.

Direct advertising and the oppotunity to try for yourself is probably just as successful as straight advertising.  No, it doesn't get the word out to people that have never tried the game, but a goal they've announced as a high priority is to attract Vets back to the game.  I don't think straight advertising is something that would work too well on them.

• frodusfrodus Member Posts: 2,396

Direct advertising and the oppotunity to try for yourself is probably just as successful as straight advertising.  No, it doesn't get the word out to people that have never tried the game, but a goal they've announced as a high priority is to attract Vets back to the game.  I don't think straight advertising is something that would work too well on them.

word of the mouth has over taken all attempts at advertising at this point !!!!!!

Trade in material assumptions for spiritual facts and make permanent progress.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

The real truth is that good programmers are really scarce these days... I mean good ones. Plenty of bad ones. Hell, any job where it takes talent has a serious hiring problem, you just can't fill positions fast enough.

So in a nutshell, any MMO is constantly needing devs. Doesn't matter if it's the QE2 or the Titanic, they still need staff.

While you spin it optimistically as a possible sign of a turnaround, I think it's more like "the good ones are leaving as soon as they can while the bad ones get promoted."

Not flaming... just stating how things are and my opinion of them.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Is this the crying parlour?

eqnext.wikia.com

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

Lmao, SOE doesn't need to advertise we give them PLENTY of word-of-mouth advertising, free of charge.  If  they want more players (including VETS) to play the game, FIX IT.

• DvolDvol Member Posts: 273

Too attract the quote "Vets" back requires them to change alot more than a revamped version of CH. As much as i dispise the NGE the major complaints i have is gameplay mechanics. Obraik you cant honestly say the current combat engine is good. The whole herky jerky 10 keys to target system just isnt good enough IMO.

When i logged in for the chap 6 nerf i saw no change in bugs,lag or removal of the things that would bring me back. Its many things that keeps SWG subpar. The best thing they can do is go back to the cu and start from there. TBH i couldnt stand the CU much at all cause of the cartoony graphic icons and the level system. Towards the end it too got better but still not as good as the game before it.

No vet thinks the original version was perfect and without faults and issues. The problem is most of us played in beta and up to the NGE. I can honestly say id rather be back in the bugged beta as opposed to the current game. It just doesnt appeal to me at all in what its trying to EMUlate...Which is just like every other MMO out there..

They know what will bring the player base back. Too bad we all know they cant/wont so why worry about who plays and who dont? It has improved but still way to much NGE left in it. When greypawn or whatever brings back the skill system and combat system and all those professions im in like flynn. Till then i highly doubt the Vet rush they hope for will happen. But stranger things have happend.

• vizaviza Member Posts: 204

Originally posted by Dracus

I find it odd that i was the only one that noticed the advertisment that soe put up for more SWG developers, did no one else see it ??

SOE has been putting up request for new staffing positions since before SWG went live and has continued to do so.  This does not indicate a comeback.  One example, people need to be promoted and raises earned, thus to be transfered to other or new projects while lower paid positions can open up again.

and you got this information from where ?

I have been playing SWG for a long, long, long, long time. and this is the first time i have seen a add on the game interface. i know they have recruited in the past, but that was so long ago that it feels like a lifetime ago. this add is clearly not the one you speaking about.

This is how software companies work. People get promoted or assigned to different projects. No one wants to stay in the same position or project forever... not even software developers. I know

It causes burnout. Variety is the spice of life.

-Viz

• Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243

Seems SWG is increasing their dev crew ?
    I see them advertising for new programers. Anyone that can shed some light on the subject ?

( And please NO FLAMING in this thread, if you flame i will report you. And please do not post the ussual crap about SWG dying etc unless you have solid evidence. I have heard it all before. Also i play the game and altho it not exactly in the top 5 it is still active and an enjoyable game, and they would not be hiring if things were not going so well. )

There are working only 20 people on SWG. They just need more 'manpower' to get the things done. That doesn't mean at all that SWG is making a come back. Those programmers might also be placed on other games by the way.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Our guild membership has increased since chapter 6 in a major way.  SWG is on a comeback but nothing of the sorts where there are players in every NPC city on every planet like it used to be. It is on a comeback through the gameplay.  Heck even Vanguard is getting fixed. I miss the old days of SWG- but I don't miss Jules Torres!

• joker1231978joker1231978 Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Kokushibyou

IT FINALY MAKES SENSE!  SOE released Vanguard in such a terrible condition so that SWG would look mildly playable in comparison!

Apparently you don't know the all the stupid drama with Vanguard.  It wasn't a SOE originally.  It was released by Sigil in cooperation with SOE.  Sigil royally screwed up.  There were quite alot of people fired when SOE basically took the reins.

I'm a four-year SWG vet.  I've played though all the changes.  The population will never be what it was....that's a fact.  However, I've noticed a 'small' increase in the population.  The current DEV team is actually trying.  It's kind of shocking considering what the game has been through.

What kills this game, and will be the death of it, is the lack of content.   Once you hit cl90, your gaming experience changes signifigantly.  There isn't any real high-level content.  What lillte there is, everyone has done a few hundred times by now.  Chapter 7 is suppose to be adding some content.  We'll just have wait and see how that pans out.

One of the biggest request I see that people want are some free server transfers.  It seems the large servers are getting larger, but the small ones are still hurting.

I thought I would add a word or two to the conversation.

• GiMMLiGiMMLi Member Posts: 21

I wouldn't say SWG is making a comeback. At this point in the game's career I believe that to be impossible. An increase in server population isn't really anything to base a comeback off of. Considering swg has over 30,000+ trials going at a time, you could see a flux in players one month and a decline the following month. Rinse and repeat.

While I give the DEVs credit for trying to revive the game, I believe it's too little to late. Most of us vets who stuck around through all the changes gave up on seeing anything worth while a long time ago. Be wary of chapter publishes that promise new content. Rehashing old themeparks for the 5th time is not new content. This is why my account is still on the cancelled list.

I've given up telling players that this game isn't worth touching. The truth is, if you've never played pre-cu or cu then you'll never miss it like those of us who had the chance to fall in love with a totally different game experience. Fresh nge players seem to like it. This is the only reason why this game still exists, along with a few diehard vets.

Is SWG making a comeback? No

Is SWG dying? Not anytime soon

----

• local93bclocal93bc Member Posts: 353

Id would come Back to the SWG and i think alot of folks would too if they made A star wars game that hads space and planets on one map.

For me SW could be the greatess game ever. If done right!!!!

They need to make a Galaxy not a few planets u can zone to

I was so exited to get jump to lightspeed untill i loged it on and realised the 2 were appart from each other!!!

I need a SW  I can park my ship down anywere on the planet and take off from were u landed.

SW is space exploration . its flying in a astroid field to lose somone trying to blow you up!!

For the imperials its trying to enforce there law

At the beguining of the game it should be  Quest till u earn money to buy  your first Ship (car).

Leave Jedi's Out of it!!!

A Star Wars done right would have 10 million + subscriptions

Do it right and id be the first to come running back

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by local93bc

Id would come Back to the SWG and i think alot of folks would too if they made A star wars game that hads space and planets on one map.

For me SW could be the greatess game ever. If done right!!!!
    They need to make a Galaxy not a few planets u can zone to
    I was so exited to get jump to lightspeed untill i loged it on and realised the 2 were appart from each other!!!
    I need a SW  I can park my ship down anywere on the planet and take off from were u landed.
    SW is space exploration . its flying in a astroid field to lose somone trying to blow you up!!
    For the imperials its trying to enforce there law

At the beguining of the game it should be  Quest till u earn money to buy  your first Ship (car).
    Leave Jedi's Out of it!!!
    A Star Wars done right would have 10 million + subscriptions
    Do it right and id be the first to come running back

Afcourse this would be great, when i first heard of JTL i was actualy hoping this aswell, untill i got more familiar with the type of tech these type of games need, and now all i can say is what you want more sure  want including these company's that make these games, but do not underastimate the tech that is needed, let alone look at what a amount of people simply play with medium systems. So what you want wil become possible maybe 3/5 years from now when tech is at a point to realize this without the lose of to much else of a game or its performance, might even be more years. When we see this happening on a constant and stable rate within single player games , then it will be more reality to see it in mmorpg, as mmorpg still lay many years behind when it comes to what single player games are capable of, i would say most if not all mmorpg are about 2 years behind current single player games in terms of tech capabiltiy.

• lolatngefanslolatngefans Member Posts: 21

lololol this game making a comeback? LOLOL sry gave me a good lol.

no ur wrong

fail

• xluciferxxluciferx Member Posts: 162

your name doesnt give you any influence on these forums atall.

fail.

• local93bclocal93bc Member Posts: 353

Afcourse this would be great, when i first heard of JTL i was actualy hoping this aswell, untill i got more familiar with the type of tech these type of games need, and now all i can say is what you want more sure  want including these company's that make these games, but do not underastimate the tech that is needed, let alone look at what a amount of people simply play with medium systems. So what you want wil become possible maybe 3/5 years from now when tech is at a point to realize this without the lose of to much else of a game or its performance, might even be more years. When we see this happening on a constant and stable rate within single player games , then it will be more reality to see it in mmorpg, as mmorpg still lay many years behind when it comes to what single player games are capable of, i would say most if not all mmorpg are about 2 years behind current single player games in terms of tech capabiltiy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well when they do Ill be there......

• Originally posted by lolatngefans

lololol this game making a comeback? LOLOL sry gave me a good lol.
    no ur wrong
    fail

Shrug, all games fail. I've yet to see one that hasn't faltered and hasn't pissed anyone off ever. Let alone games with popular titles that just go silently into the night. SWG numbers probly are up since they dropped to such insane lows.

• xPaladinxPaladin Member UncommonPosts: 741

This game is making a comeback if and only if:

a) The current game is fixed and much more content is added

b) A new and completely kickass expansion is released

c) Veteran sentiment reverses

in that order. And yes, SOE does need (require) the veteran support for this game to succeed once again.

As it is now, I have current players and veteran in-game players telling me that the game is not yet ready for primetime: 4 years after the fact. Unfortunately for SOE, they could only really get away with this until the next generation MMOs come forth, which are significantly shorter in playtime and duration than their juggernaut SOE grindfest forefathers.

Uphill battle with time against them and a flood of sci-fi MMOs en route, folks.

-- xpaladin

[MMOz]
    AC1/2, AO, DAoC, EQ1/2, SoR, SWG, UO, WAR, WoW

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by xPaladin

This game is making a comeback if and only if:
    a) The current game is fixed and much more content is added
    b) A new and completely kickass expansion is released
    c) Veteran sentiment reverses
    in that order. And yes, SOE does need (require) the veteran support for this game to succeed once again.
    As it is now, I have current players and veteran in-game players telling me that the game is not yet ready for primetime: 4 years after the fact. Unfortunately for SOE, they could only really get away with this until the next generation MMOs come forth, which are significantly shorter in playtime and duration than their juggernaut SOE grindfest forefathers.
    Uphill battle with time against them and a flood of sci-fi MMOs en route, folks.

Excellent Post!

They could "fix" this quite easily to almost all 3.

a) Revert the C6 Combat Downgrade leaving new players to level and the existing content to build toons after 90

b) Server merge freeing up at least 3 servers and install pre CU or CU

c) Take the "new" content they are working on and make it the difficulty that is in the C6CD

d) Then announce and start working on a new expansion.