Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for community - will AOC have much to offer casual gamers?

2»

Comments

• To most of us it's no surprise that 'Age of Conan' has been receiving such positive feedback from the gaming press. But while most of us have been salivating over new gameplay footage and interview content from the last few days, some press response has been mixed, largely due to the "choppy and laggy" nature of game demos they played for their reviews. In response to another gaming network's review of an 'Age of Conan' gameplay demo, developer, Jayde, had this to say on the official forums:

"I have no trouble believing that there were some choppiness issues in the presentations, but a lot of it depends on the machines, settings, build, etc. It's a very complex statement, despite seeming rather simple at first..."

"... Anyhow, our coders are working really hard to make sure things run smoothly. It is a huge focus for a rather large number of them."

So once again we're reassured, and thankfully the staff at Funcom have not likened their public relations capabilities to that of any former Iraqi Information Ministers. Yet it's not press-feedback I'm here to discuss today - it's the hype surrounding the game. They say that too much love can kill a man (it killed Freddy Mercury anyway), but does the same go for MMOs? Can fans of a game ever be impartial and be realistic about what they're actually seeing? Are we turning into a pack of rabid fanboys?

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Battlekruse

To most of us it's no surprise that 'Age of Conan' has been receiving such positive feedback from the gaming press. But while most of us have been salivating over new gameplay footage and interview content from the last few days, some press response has been mixed, largely due to the "choppy and laggy" nature of game demos they played for their reviews. In response to another gaming network's review of an 'Age of Conan' gameplay demo, developer, Jayde, had this to say on the official forums:
    "I have no trouble believing that there were some choppiness issues in the presentations, but a lot of it depends on the machines, settings, build, etc. It's a very complex statement, despite seeming rather simple at first..."
    "... Anyhow, our coders are working really hard to make sure things run smoothly. It is a huge focus for a rather large number of them."
    So once again we're reassured, and thankfully the staff at Funcom have not likened their public relations capabilities to that of any former Iraqi Information Ministers. Yet it's not press-feedback I'm here to discuss today - it's the hype surrounding the game. They say that too much love can kill a man (it killed Freddy Mercury anyway), but does the same go for MMOs? Can fans of a game ever be impartial and be realistic about what they're actually seeing? Are we turning into a pack of rabid fanboys?

Links? <-- need a few reputable sources. Dates, times?  <----see last post I made.

Please try to make a post where you backup your argument properly.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1361143#1361143

Topic consider trolling due to lack of reliable source of information.
    Please do not attemp to trollling with false statement.

Let us not forgot its 6 and half months to launch now, and you want to say that the general consensus/ current indications is that it will fail (in your opinion)? And that it is right to go by these so far from launch?

Why dont you say that "this is my opinion - because I think there is a lacking of information, in some areas" ?

Opinions are like Assholes - everyone has one.

I can take yours and anyone elses but it does seem you like to troll mate

• Originally posted by AmazingAvery

To most of us it's no surprise that 'Age of Conan' has been receiving such positive feedback from the gaming press. But while most of us have been salivating over new gameplay footage and interview content from the last few days, some press response has been mixed, largely due to the "choppy and laggy" nature of game demos they played for their reviews. In response to another gaming network's review of an 'Age of Conan' gameplay demo, developer, Jayde, had this to say on the official forums:

Links? <-- need a few reputable sources. Dates, times?  <----see last post I made.

Please try to make a post where you backup your argument properly.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1361143#1361143

Topic consider trolling due to lack of reliable source of information.
    Please do not attemp to trollling with false statement.

Let us not forgot its 6 and half months to launch now, and you want to say that the general consensus/ current indications is that it will fail (in your opinion)? And that it is right to go by these so far from launch?

Why dont you say that "this is my opinion - because I think there is a lacking of information, in some areas" ?

Opinions are like Assholes - everyone has one.

I can take yours and anyone elses but it does seem you like to troll mate

You ask for the proof and here it is.

Orignal link: http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=31074&page=2

PS: On a side note. Please don't quote Client Eastwood.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

In response to the OP's question, this game will have great things to offer for casual gamers, such as casual sex, casual drinking, casual killing and more!

O_o o_O

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I'm with Bigdavo,

because after all, isn't casual sex, drinking and killing what it's all about in the end?

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

Battlekruse is that all you could come with in reply to your statement of: - "It's still rather early to offer more than a preliminary assessment of how well it may fare when it launches next year, but the current indications are definitely bad atm."

One "open" Dev quote posted 2 months ago from a lesser  beta build engine showing the game, pre GC aswell.

Oh dear, Oh dear....

So everything is bad rofl.

• I'm not going to re-hash exactly what was revealed to the public through the game press (you can do your own web-surfing for that), but let's be honest: what was shown to us was still very, very poor,  the game in its flow (animations, latency, etc.) has come a long way and they still need lots of work, from what we have seen earlier. All this is very disapointing, and this leads to us to the future: what is there left to see? Still so much, but this why the final countdown is largely an exciting part of a game's development at least. The next 6 month are going to be very interesting. Yes, there's probably a perfectly good explanation as to why we haven't seen these features in great detail, and as discussed last fortnight Funcom are exercising their right to reveal what when they most feel most appropriate. But such is the nature of the fan that they begin to come to their own conclusion that the reason these things are not being shown is because they're not ready, then they begin to wonder if all these things will be fixed and ready in time for release, and then they conclude that the game will be delayed.

• whitedelightwhitedelight Member Posts: 1,544

I'm not going to re-hash exactly what was revealed to the public through the game press (you can do your own web-surfing for that), but let's be honest: what was shown to us was still very, very poor,  the game in its flow (animations, latency, etc.) has come a long way and they still need lots of work, from what we have seen earlier. All this is very disapointing, and this leads to us to the future: what is there left to see? Still so much, but this why the final countdown is largely an exciting part of a game's development at least. The next 6 month are going to be very interesting. Yes, there's probably a perfectly good explanation as to why we haven't seen these features in great detail, and as discussed last fortnight Funcom are exercising their right to reveal what when they most feel most appropriate. But such is the nature of the fan that they begin to come to their own conclusion that the reason these things are not being shown is because they're not ready, then they begin to wonder if all these things will be fixed and ready in time for release, and then they conclude that the game will be delayed.

You took the time to read what Avery wrote, and then type this out, yet you can not put the effort in to cite your sources?

Originally posted by whitedelight

I'm not going to re-hash exactly what was revealed to the public through the game press (you can do your own web-surfing for that), but let's be honest: what was shown to us was still very, very poor,  the game in its flow (animations, latency, etc.) has come a long way and they still need lots of work, from what we have seen earlier. All this is very disapointing, and this leads to us to the future: what is there left to see? Still so much, but this why the final countdown is largely an exciting part of a game's development at least. The next 6 month are going to be very interesting. Yes, there's probably a perfectly good explanation as to why we haven't seen these features in great detail, and as discussed last fortnight Funcom are exercising their right to reveal what when they most feel most appropriate. But such is the nature of the fan that they begin to come to their own conclusion that the reason these things are not being shown is because they're not ready, then they begin to wonder if all these things will be fixed and ready in time for release, and then they conclude that the game will be delayed.

You took the time to read what Avery wrote, and then type this out, yet you can not put the effort in to cite your sources?

Of course he can have his own personal opinion and make it out like its what the whole world thinks but sometimes Battlekruse is very borderline on the rules of conduct:

Game Attacks

• Unsubstantiated comments about specific or general games will be penalized in nearly the same way attacks against people will. The exception is that you can say mean things about games provided you back it up with reasons.

Example: "Game X sucks." is not a legitimate comment. "Game X sucks, because..." is acceptable.

Yes its been said time and time again its in beta, but it is mate, fact. There are lots of things that will appeal to the casual gamer (something battlekruse doesn't like). If he doesnt like the animations or think that the latency issues are something that wont be changed before release in 200 days then I think he has a screw loose. He offers no back up to his first post and generalizes his opinion without reasons, hence why i asked for them. I dont mine you attacking the game Battlekruse just do it with reasons and up to date proof please.

Animations are looking lovely, the latency issues and client will run completely different at launch on your own PC and from where the game servers are. There has been numerous new news updates last week - read them.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I got an idea,

Give AmazingAvery and Battlekurse some booze, and then just let them drunkenly brawl till one is proven right

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-