Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Totally agree

Why is everything turning into spanish, i understand people come here and they dont understand the language, but i believe if your going to live here you better learn ...

Comments

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Do you really think they would know our big words if they are trying to figure out if they want to:

A: Report a lost or stolen card

B: Activate a Card or check on bank transactions blah blah blah

C: Blah blah blah blah blah

D: Blah Blah Blah Blah

If your too lazy to press 1 when  then I don't know what's going on with you. Seems that life just got harder for you by the touch of a button. I'm pretty sure they know the lanugage but not as GOOD AS WE KNOW IT and vice versa for them. That's why we have translation. I'm pretty sure every country you travel to it's gonna be the same thing. Chill out man. So it needs to know what you speak or know best. Press 1 for English or Press 2 for Spanish or whatever other languages.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Having to select your language to talk to an automated machine is completely acceptable.

Having someone walk into your store and speaking in nothing but Spanish, when you live in *Wisconsin, is not.

*random state that doesn't touch the Mexican border.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

In my country it usually goes like this:

If you want dutch, press one, if you want french, press 2, if you want german, press 3, if you want english (not even a national language), press 4.

Nobody whines about that. It's just a precaution. Imagine a tourist needs help?

BTW, the US doesn't have an official language. Imagine that.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by grimweeper

Why is everything turning into spanish, i understand people come here and they dont understand the language, but i believe if your going to live here you better learn ...

I agree. Or, at least the message should go : "For English, press "1", para continuar en espanol, Get the "F" out of the country".

Don't speak navajo? Get the fuck out. And take your smallpocks with you.

Yea, I like that philosphy.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

The problem that we have in this country goes much deeper than simple language annoyances...This is an over simplification.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

Originally posted by Draenor

The problem that we have in this country goes much deeper than simple language annoyances...This is an over simplification.

Indeed. Xenophobia runs really deep.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524
    Originally posted by MadAce

Don't speak navajo? Get the fuck out. And take your smallpocks with you.

Yea, I like that philosphy.

I see what you did there.  Good work! 

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Corporate America  is currently obsessed with the spanish language, it must have something to do with the 3 jobs no American wants to do. Kinda weird since spanish isn't even the most spoken language in the world.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Originally posted by Draenor

Indeed. Xenophobia runs really deep.

It is nothing to do with Xenophobia and I hate it when Liberals try to use that argument. Immigrate here legally and learn the language then they are welcome to stay otherwise get the "F" out and quit wasting resources and causing my taxes and insurance to skyrocket.

And the whole Navajo thing  - it's the past. Nearly every major country in the world was formed from wars and robbing of land.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Dekron

I agree. Or, at least the message should go : "For English, press "1", para continuar en espanol, Get the "F" out of the country".

Being that I sensed no /sarcasm there, I am kinda shocked...

I always thought you were more tolerent and educated than that Dek.  Way to perpetuate the negative view that a lot of people in other countries have of us.

Try learning something new for a change or getting a basic grasp of Spanish to better yourself.  I turned my rudimentry knowledge of French into a 2 week paid business trip to France, Switzerland and Germany.  I use some Spanish to talk with co-workers and some people that call in to our office on a daily basis.   I think it is rather amazing that by even understand words and phrases in anoher language, I am able to communicate in a real way  with someone who I would not have been able to previously in my life.

By the way, take a look at Switzerland where basically the southern half of the country speaks french and the northern half speaks German.  Everything changes, the road signs, the signs on and around businesses.  Man you and all of the people who talk about English as speak it or get out are sooo close-minded.

Kind of taking this to a silly extreme, we are probably going to have some actual aliens () land in the US and Billy Bob in BFE USA is gonna be like "Hey there little feller, you speak the English....no....then gets up on outa this here place."  Ruining a perfectly good opportunity to communicate with Aliens because they will leave this rock we call a planet in disgust.

I really hope I misread you on this one Dek, but my post points out how I feel about anyone who feels that way *points at Grim*.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Originally posted by Briansho

Corporate America  is currently obsessed with the spanish language, it must have something to do with the 3 jobs no American wants to do. Kinda weird since spanish isn't even the most spoken language in the world.

Neither is english.

Originally posted by Briansho

Neither is english.

1) Chinese

2) Spanish

3) English

4) Arabic

5) Hindi

So if my business sense is correct, corporation targeting a larger audience is usually a good thing for business.  Maybe for Americans (of which I am one) Snapple was right Threedom is Freedom...

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Originally posted by 8hammer8

Being that I sensed no /sarcasm there, I am kinda shocked...

I always thought you were more tolerent and educated than that Dek.  Way to perpetuate the negative view that a lot of people in other countries have of us.

Try learning something new for a change or getting a basic grasp of Spanish to better yourself. 

Illegals are my problem. Not native Spanish speakers who immigrate here legally. Maybe that clarifies things. And I do speak Spanish. Two years of college.

Also, yes, this is the US where primarily the population is English speaking. If you speak Spanish, fine. However, it is they who should learn English to communicate with us, not the other way around.

I lived in Budapest, Hungary for a year. I went over and didn't speak a single word of Hungarian. What did I do? 4 hours per day, 5 days per week of private tutoring for three months. I wasn't fluent, but I was able to speak and integrate well enough. I spoke Hungarian all the time (unless my friends would speak to me in English. When I had difficulty, I still tried. I didn't once expect people to know English so I could communicate.

The major problem with the "press two for spanish" is that it is expected and some companies (dependent upon the industry) can now be sued for discrimination if they fail to provide it.

• Publish6246Publish6246 Member Posts: 346

It's nobodies world.

-----------------------------

SWG - PrePub9 Jedi mastered all professions - June 26th 2003 > Nov 15th 2005
    EVE Online - 24 million SP - May 6th 2003 > Early 2005
    PlanetSide - BR20 CR5 - May 23rd 2003 > Sept 2003

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

As I read in a book. You come to the other country and you're thirsty. The only problem is: you don't understand a word and you can't get anyone to understand you. Something as simple as asking for water is impossible. Clicking "1" for English can't be that hard, it's the first number and everything. Whine more nubs.

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

Like it or not, the sooner you become bilingual in English and Spanish the easier life is going to be for you.  The United States is becoming more and more connected with our own continental neighbors and less and less connected to Old Europe.  Might as well come to terms with it.  Mexico is more likely to be annexed by the U.S. than population trends being reversed at this point.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

Originally posted by Korusus

Like it or not, the sooner you become bilingual in English and Spanish the easier life is going to be for you.

Nice roll-over-and-die mentality you have there. Next you will be saying the sooner you accept Shariah law the easier life will be for you. Glad our soldiers in WWII didn't have your mentality or we would all be bowing to Hitler's heir.

Like it or not, the sooner you become bilingual in English and Spanish the easier life is going to be for you.

Nice roll-over-and-die mentality you have there. Next you will be saying the sooner you accept Shariah law the easier life will be for you. Glad our soldiers in WWII didn't have your mentality or we would all be bowing to Hitler's heir.

There's a difference between defeat in a war and *ghasp* learning another language.

I guess the following joke will remain true forever.

How do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual.

How do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual.

How do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American.

That is pure stupidity. It goes for any country, even in Europe - France, Germany, Spain, for example. Imagine if a large group of people immigrated there and demanded that everything be put into that group's language so their lazy ass does not have to learn your language. It's not a matter of learning another language, it's the matter of being forced to use it because the laziness of others. And, once again it goes back to my question - why must we, in our own country, learn the language of people illegally entering our country to accommodate them?

I speak, read and write Spanish fairly well and my Hungarian, although a bit rusty, is still there. I've learned two languages and plan to use them when I travel or if someone is traveling here or is trying to learn my language. I refuse to learn a language to accommodate and illegal invader.

Walter Sobchak: Did I watch my buddies die face down in the mud so those [mexicans] can fuck around with The Greatest Fucking Country In The World!?! Goddammit!!!

The Dude: God damn you Walter! You fuckin' asshole! Everything's a fuckin' travesty with you, man! And what was all that shit about Vietnam? What the FUCK, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the fuck are you talking about?

This is all I could think about while reading your post Dek...

**mods let me know if I need to edit**

That is pure stupidity. It goes for any country, even in Europe - France, Germany, Spain, for example. Imagine if a large group of people immigrated there and demanded that everything be put into that group's language so their lazy ass does not have to learn your language. It's not a matter of learning another language, it's the matter of being forced to use it because the laziness of others. And, once again it goes back to my question - why must we, in our own country, learn the language of people illegally entering our country to accommodate them?

I speak, read and write Spanish fairly well and my Hungarian, although a bit rusty, is still there. I've learned two languages and plan to use them when I travel or if someone is traveling here or is trying to learn my language. I refuse to learn a language to accommodate and illegal invader.

I'm not suggesting you actually start accomodating other people (where would it all end?) but maybe you should ease up on the demonizing.

It's of course hilarious, and I love how you dehumanize mexicans and make them seem like a barbaric horde of invaders but it makes it seem like you have a slightly over-simplified view on the world.

and I love how you dehumanize mexicans

I'm not dehumanizing Mexicans. I am dehumanizing illegals no matter what country of origin. Each country has their trash, and the illegals are part of it. Our prison population provides proof of that.

Like I said, immigrate here legally and attempt to learn our language and culture and they have my respect no matter what country of origin.

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

and I love how you dehumanize mexicans

I'm not dehumanizing Mexicans. I am dehumanizing illegals no matter what country of origin. Each country has their trash, and the illegals are part of it. Our prison population provides proof of that.

Like I said, immigrate here legally and attempt to learn our language and culture and they have my respect no matter what country of origin.

i couldnt put anything you said any better ...

If  you immigrate here legally chances are you already started to learn the language and want to, but if you came here illegally your a selfish bastard that only thinks for themselves and doesnt care what the legal people that deserve to be here think about you...

Wow, you guys are excellent examples of human beings.

Illegals are people too. And I know many of them. I know someone who had two choices:

-Join the rebellion and face certain death.

-Get the hell out, leave family and friends and attempt to reach the insides of Fortress Europe.

Being 14 and not ready to die he chose the second option. Upon arriving in my country (after a  long, long, long trip) his asylum was denied as the country he came from wasn't officially at war. He had to leave the country in 3 days. Well, he didn't. How selfish of him not to go back home and be killed for treason.

I also know a couple of people who crossed the strait of Gibraltar in a leaking boat at night because their families were starving at home and something needed to be done. How selfish of them.

And quite recently I have learned of one Iraqi family who lived in a village about an hour  or twonorth of Baghdad, but not far enough to be safe. They don't know whether or not they'll be allowed to stay. Tsss, how selfish of them not to stay behind in Iraq, facing the terror.

EDIT: Of course I  could go on for a while. I've lived in so called "ghetto's" all my life and had plenty of encounters with "trash".

Are you nice and comfy in your chair? Have a full stumache? Have a roof over your head? Feeling safe? I'm happy for you if there's a "yes" on all questions. Shame not everyone has the same luck you had, which was to be born in the right part of the world (well, in the right family I mean).

And shame some people have to run away and submit their own and their childrens lives to the cold and selfish laws of buerocracy.

BTW, the US prisons are a testimony how a country which has only 6% of the global popullation can hold 25% of all the prisoners in the world, while not even having the largest percentage of illegal immigrants. And another thing, if I'm not mistaken illegals don't go to regular prisons.