Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments on new reveiw

Ok I read it, and agree an most of it.... but i think some things are possibly false

Lag?  What lag.....  if you are baseing you lag depending on your fps..... get a better computer and connection.....   Lag is ussualy measured in pings and packet loss, not on how well you comp can render frames per sec.  I have experanced very little lag over playing the past few months.  My pings are increadibly low, never rubberbanding anywhere or anything.   Get a better connection and/or hardware...

As for people?  Do you even talk to others while playing an mmorpg?  Every time i go to town there is always people asking to group, wanting to do things ect ect ect.  Each time i log on i meet anywhere from 5-10 new faces that I havent conversed with yet.  How can you say that there are not people to play with? 

As far as the leveling system, its an mmorpg that doesnt make you play for 5 billion hours to get the level you desire.  But on top of that, there is insane amount of things you can do ontop of just haveing exp....  Even when you have "maxed out" theres crap to do, things to see.  If you wanna max out and own everything without any effort, play something in the final fantasy series. 

Jedi and pvp systems....   Yea pvp is possibly unbalanced, each class that I have played seems to have its own advantages and disadvantages in pvp, of course a novice pistoleer is not going to match up against a master commando.  I've seen duals last for a long long time, and keep each player on its toes.  Jedi....  well... yea.... its lame as of this moment, but perhaps they will fix it.  I still liked the world without jedi.  Overall, this final critisim was probbly your best.

Just my critizism of the review....

~Best thing since sliced bread

SWG-Ahazi- Kovoa DE/DOC
AC-Morningtha- Fou-Lu lvl 79 UA/LIFE

SWG-Ahazi- Kovoa DE/DOC

Comments

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

I think he was too generous with his score of 7.0

Lag is awful on my system, AMD 64 3200+, 512mb pc 3500 corsair extreme ram, ATI 9800XT 128mb ram video card, sata 150 75 gig 10k rpm hard drive. No other game makes my system lag like SWG does. The reviewer also pointed out that its gotten worse, he's right. My system was actually slower than now and lag wasn't as bad. I upgrade my motherboard and processor (basically doubled speed) and now it runs worse ? Lag is coming from SWG side, not me. Rumor is its some sort of memory leak error and soe is working to fix it by publish 10-11

Space pack stinks, I'm sorry but it does. Where are the new planets ? Zones, what the hell is that ? Sounds like more areas for griefers to hang out. Nothing more to explore, and planets still have broken quests (gungan sacred place been broken since day 1), hmm sounds pathetic to me. No thanks, SOE i'll never come back unless I see Dagobah, Hoth, and the return of the miner profession (you took away right before launch).

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

No offense to Richard Duffek but he's drinking draino.  Especially when it comes to the Lag and Population issues.  Though I honestly have to say I did not read the entire thing simply because he said he hadn't played in a while, that right there invalidates part of the review unless he's been back and playing for a month or more.  There's too much new stuff and too many changes to learn about and experience in a week or two.

In my opinion SWG is a very solid 9 right now.  The Combat Balance publishes, the GCW publish and Jump to Lightspeed could very well send this game to the top.  That's definitely one thing Mr Duffek has right. image

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Originally posted by admriker444

Rumor is its some sort of memory leak error and soe is working to fix it by publish 10-11.

It's no rumor, they have come right out and said it, there are two memory leaks.  Both of which have fixes for on TC right now.  They should be live in Publish 9.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

So what are people supposed to do in the meantime while waiting for the combat revamp ? It was started months ago then halted. Meanwhile they said some professions may seem overpowered (may ?) until the entire revamp was completed. Then they halt it, so the few who did receive any work are now overpowered for months... nice SOE. So I'm supposed to sit around and wait for 8 months and play a broken profession, or do like the game community suggests when someone complains about KS on swg forums and switch to rifleman ? I'm supposed to grind to a profession I have absolutely no interest in playing if I want to outdamage 13 yr old KS taking my giant dune kimo from me. Play that lousy profession for 8 months while waiting for my other profession to get fixed. Then once fixed, I can grind my may back to my swordsman / tkm template ? Or do like in the past and keep switching to the latest flavor of the month till something else gets borked ? This is nothing more than a feeble attempt by SOE to milk a few more bucks out of its player base till they fold the game up.

I'm so sick of waiting for this game to work as advertised. SOE keeps milking me (and you) each month while I wait and wait and wait some more for fixes.Then to make matters worse, SOE is now catering to powergamers by introducing dungeons each month or 2 to appease them instead of fixing the broken content already around. What doesn't make sense to me is there's already in place stuff to work on to add content, why design all new stuff ? How many of you have gone to the Jawa Fortress area and wondered why did they even bother. Lot of potential there for missions, etc. Or how about fixing the gungan sacred place AND making the trip worth my time. I get more credits and better loot killing ONE nightsister on dath than the several missions I was able to do for some of the npc's there (one was broken still), pathetic.

This game was designed and promised to work well for casual gamers... yeah right SOE. If thats the case, then why did you implement a jedi system that requires some serious powergaming to achieve ? Yeah, I know changes are on the way. Lets see now, when did I get that e-mail from SOE inviting me back to experience the new jedi system ? Hmm... 4 MONTHS AGO. And you suckers are still waiting around for it ?!? Only 2 more weeks, only 1 more month, maybe in 2 months, almost there, soon its coming.... bah. My money says the space pack won't show up till next year.

ps. i know its called a space pack, but the orginal plans for the first expansion was also supposed to include more worlds and professions (besides pilot). hell I'm still not coming back till they bring back my beloved Miner profession (from beta) that they for no reason took away, thus ruining the economy.

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

Lag? What lag..... if you are baseing you lag depending on your fps..... get a better computer and connection..... Lag is ussualy measured in pings and packet loss, not on how well you comp can render frames per sec. I have experanced very little lag over playing the past few months. My pings are increadibly low, never rubberbanding anywhere or anything. Get a better connection and/or hardware...

My connection and hardware are just fine. My ping was extremely low, usually in the 80s. I have played every other recent mmorpg with absolutely no problem. I played the Guild Wars E3 demo, have played CoH and Lineage 2, all of them run beautifully on my system. SWG lagged all to hell, which to me says it's a problem with the game, not my system. And go read the forums sometimes, the lag has to be one of the most complained about problems. I guess if it's my connection or hardware a LOT of people must be using my system to play the game.

As for people? Do you even talk to others while playing an mmorpg? Every time i go to town there is always people asking to group, wanting to do things ect ect ect. Each time i log on i meet anywhere from 5-10 new faces that I havent conversed with yet. How can you say that there are not people to play with?

I never said there are NO people playing the game, I said that there are very few people playing the game. Look at the 2 screenshots int he review, one of the Coronet town square, one of the Theed town square. Both are extremely uncrowded, and those were taken at primetime. During the first time I played there were so many people standing in the Theed square you couldn't see from one side to the other. Now you could land the Falcon there at it's busiest and never hit anyone. And this is only compounded by the fact that I played on a much more popular server this time around, Eclipse as opposed to Gorath.

As far as the leveling system, its an mmorpg that doesnt make you play for 5 billion hours to get the level you desire. But on top of that, there is insane amount of things you can do ontop of just haveing exp.... Even when you have "maxed out" theres crap to do, things to see. If you wanna max out and own everything without any effort, play something in the final fantasy series.

Ummm.... I think you missread me, I ***DON'T*** wanna max everything out and own everything without any effort.... That was my complaint.... Nor am I saying that I want it to take "5 billion hours". In my personal opinion the levelling system is to short as it stands now. Basically to me it seems like it was built to accomodate the "Jedi/Holo Grind". Who wants to grind through 15-20+ professions if they each take a long time to do right?

Jedi and pvp systems.... Yea pvp is possibly unbalanced, each class that I have played seems to have its own advantages and disadvantages in pvp, of course a novice pistoleer is not going to match up against a master commando. I've seen duals last for a long long time, and keep each player on its toes. Jedi.... well... yea.... its lame as of this moment, but perhaps they will fix it. I still liked the world without jedi. Overall, this final critisim was probbly your best.

Well thanks... :)

No offense to Richard Duffek but he's drinking draino. Especially when it comes to the Lag and Population issues. Though I honestly have to say I did not read the entire thing simply because he said he hadn't played in a while, that right there invalidates part of the review unless he's been back and playing for a month or more. There's too much new stuff and too many changes to learn about and experience in a week or two.

So I've been drinking Draino, but you didn't even read the whole thing... And I'm sorry, but my views on the lag and population stands, see above for further explanation. And yes, I played for more than a month after coming back. And played for WAY more than a month the first time through.

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• JdokiJdoki Member Posts: 68

I have to agree with most of the stuff in the review. (Except the lag issue)

I cancelled my account yesterday after almost 9 months of play. Why?

Just nothing to do in the game. No content, for me, equals no fun.

SOE created a decent game, but dropped the ball by releasing it to early. That alienated a huge proportion of MMORPG gamers. They tried to appeal to the casual gamer by making it quick and easy to master professions and in doing so they stripped out the fun of playing the game long term.

Graphically the game is solid, but uninspired. FFXI has much better and more interesting landscapes and environments (as does AO and many others).

Content... almost zero. It really frustrates me that the interaction between players and the greatest characters from the series, Luke, Leia etc are for mundane and boring tasks that have little bearing on the timeframe in which SWG is set. Here we are in the game, not long after the destruction of the Death Star and the missions seem to have been written by people with no appreciation for, or knowledge of, the SW universe.

Community... Was good, but now, even though there seems to be less players there seems to be more idiots. And the amount of spam outside Coronet Starport is just crazy (on Infinity server). If people can't even use the Search tool to find someone instead of shouting 'Teach me Pistols III' repeatedly then I don't think I want to be involved.

'Experience the Greatest Saga Ever Told - Yours' is the tag line for SWG - well if this is the greatest I'll stick with the original films thanks...

• DarktongueDarktongue Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by admriker444

I think he was too generous with his score of 7.0
    Lag is awful on my system, AMD 64 3200+, 512mb pc 3500 corsair extreme ram, ATI 9800XT 128mb ram video card, sata 150 75 gig 10k rpm hard drive. No other game makes my system lag like SWG does. The reviewer also pointed out that its gotten worse, he's right. My system was actually slower than now and lag wasn't as bad. I upgrade my motherboard and processor (basically doubled speed) and now it runs worse ? Lag is coming from SWG side, not me. Rumor is its some sort of memory leak error and soe is working to fix it by publish 10-11
    Space pack stinks, I'm sorry but it does. Where are the new planets ? Zones, what the hell is that ? Sounds like more areas for griefers to hang out. Nothing more to explore, and planets still have broken quests (gungan sacred place been broken since day 1), hmm sounds pathetic to me. No thanks, SOE i'll never come back unless I see Dagobah, Hoth, and the return of the miner profession (you took away right before launch).

I'd stick another 512 stick in this ,otherwise ,fine system :)

I'd also suggest people stick their SWG box and cds in a tin, seal it up and plant it in a big hole. 

Best way to deal with crap like this.image

• zide56zide56 Member Posts: 356

Gravyboat, why do you feel it's your responsibility to defend a game that doesn't even have feelings?  And then whenever someone insults your beloved SWG, you take it personally and then retaliate with a mean-spirited rebuttal.  Kunou was a lot nicer than I would have been with his review of the gigantic heap of shit that is SWG, and yet you still lash back out at him with harsh words and a sharp tongue.  People have feelings--games do not.

Perhaps all of this playing of SWG is starting to get to you? image

Originally posted by Kunou

My connection and hardware are just fine. My ping was extremely low, usually in the 80s. I have played every other recent mmorpg with absolutely no problem. I played the Guild Wars E3 demo, have played CoH and Lineage 2, all of them run beautifully on my system. SWG lagged all to hell, which to me says it's a problem with the game, not my system. And go read the forums sometimes, the lag has to be one of the most complained about problems. I guess if it's my connection or hardware a LOT of people must be using my system to play the game.

Ummm.... I think you missread me, I ***DON'T*** wanna max everything out and own everything without any effort.... That was my complaint.... Nor am I saying that I want it to take "5 billion hours". In my personal opinion the levelling system is to short as it stands now. Basically to me it seems like it was built to accomodate the "Jedi/Holo Grind". Who wants to grind through 15-20+ professions if they each take a long time to do right?

So I've been drinking Draino, but you didn't even read the whole thing... And I'm sorry, but my views on the lag and population stands, see above for further explanation. And yes, I played for more than a month after coming back. And played for WAY more than a month the first time through.

One thing I have to say about the "lag" is that I have noticed the SWG population seems to be very divided on it.  I personally see minimal lag in Coronet or Theed now.  Others say it's worse.  If the problem was entirely server side I think we'd see everyone complaining about the lag.  That's not to say that everyone who has lag has something wrong with their machines, it's just that it's something that the developers should look at.  Not only on their servers but also collect more data on people's machines, if they're willing to share the info of course, that see tons of lag and those that don't, and see what can be done to solve the lag problem for people who do have lag.

The current skill system was designed before the current Jedi system.  In fact, according to the devs, the Jedi system was not about mastering X number of professions originally but had to be changed because their plan was too difficult to implement.

I don't agree with your review but at least you didn't rush to judgement.

Edit: Man I can't type...

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by thegravyboat

Lag?  What lag.....  if you are baseing you lag depending on your fps..... get a better computer and connection.....   Lag is ussualy measured in pings and packet loss, not on how well you comp can render frames per sec.  I have experanced very little lag over playing the past few months.  My pings are increadibly low, never rubberbanding anywhere or anything.   Get a better connection and/or hardware...

I currently have an Alienware system (2 gigs RAM) Radeon 256MB, and I even have a T3 connection.  I still experience extreme fps drops in towns (even if there is no one there).  Other mmorpgs  I have played I never experienced problems with fps (except the towns in L2)

As for people?  Do you even talk to others while playing an mmorpg?  Every time i go to town there is always people asking to group, wanting to do things ect ect ect.  Each time i log on i meet anywhere from 5-10 new faces that I havent conversed with yet.  How can you say that there are not people to play with? 

Yes I have seen some people.  But I see more AFK dancers, artisans, and AFK spammers than I do with "real keyboard present" people.  Its gotten so bad that in Publish ten you can now fully block all AFK spam from your screen and from your text box.  I have seen people.....but Ill be honest.  The many people Im seeing now are people who are doing the 14 day free trail.  Before that, a lot of places were ghost towns except for Dathomir

As far as the leveling system, its an mmorpg that doesnt make you play for 5 billion hours to get the level you desire.  But on top of that, there is insane amount of things you can do ontop of just haveing exp....  Even when you have "maxed out" theres crap to do, things to see.  If you wanna max out and own everything without any effort, play something in the final fantasy series. 

I totally agree with you.  However, I am currently grinding Armorsmith.....until the Composite armor nerf comes, nothing I will make will be of any good until I hit MasterArmorsmith. So far Ive made 2700 AUKs and 1200 ArmorWeave segments.....even with a macro do you know how many double clicks that is lol.  3 double clicks for AUK and 3 double clicks for Armorweave lol.  Thats 11,700 double clicks and I am not even halfway to Master yet.  Now, I am not complaining either as when I get bored Ill sotp grinding and do some roleplaying elsewhere in Tatoinn or Coronet.

Jedi and pvp systems....   Yea pvp is possibly unbalanced, each class that I have played seems to have its own advantages and disadvantages in pvp, of course a novice pistoleer is not going to match up against a master commando.  I've seen duals last for a long long time, and keep each player on its toes.  Jedi....  well... yea.... its lame as of this moment, but perhaps they will fix it.  I still liked the world without jedi.  Overall, this final critisim was probbly your best.

The PvP system will be very interesting after the armor nerf. And as a Armorsmith I love the nerf. Why?  Because I am sick and tired of seeing people with 90% resists to every damn form of attack.  Imagine someone with 90% with every form of attack plus 2000+ buff points on each HAM....your battle will last 2 freaking hours if you're fighting another person with the same stats.  Plus, I find it a little ridicolous that everyone is wearing comp armor that is 10-20% better than Boba Fett's legendary Mandalorian Armor.  So I am taking that nerf with open arms.

Also, weapon stats will be toned down too.  Gone will be the days where u can fly to Dathomir to solo a Liar of Rancor beasts.  First, its unrealistic to fight even one rancor solo.  Second, fighting 3 - 5 at a time solo is just plain ridicolous.

Also, the Jedi is getting an overhaul as well. 

Just my critizism of the review....

SWG-Ahazi- Kovoa DE/DOC

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

This will be the second "combat revamp" i have waited for. The first i suppose was put on hold so they could introduce jedi to the game.

Combat is so unbalanced it sickens me! A swordsman/tka can be parked in one of the new dungeons and can happily farm xp and loot while AFK!

Doesn't this seem wrong to people??

The lag i think is more likely your system trying hard to keep up with the information being delivered from the game. Why the hell cities are so large when there are probably only 5 buildings you actually use i don't know! The bloody cities are even planned as mazes....you can't even go to the bank without navigating a bloody maze!

The introduction of new dungeons is for the powergamers. It is a tried and tested way similar to other mmorpgs that they introduce new loot to keep that particular type of player playing and paying. With the combat inbalances it is only the melee professions that are aquiring this loot or have the 4 or 5 million credits to pay for them from afk farming while they sleep/work!

I quite liked the way they fixxed the bug where you didn't have to pay to repair your bike but left the bug in where your bike is still damaged when recalled even though you just payed to have it repaired!

It really is a shoddy affair that the combat revamp talked about last year has not appeared!

Pan

• HjörvarrHjörvarr Member Posts: 38

Have to say his review is spot on in my opinion, and all the reasons why I left.  He also didn't even go into enough detail on how bad the Jedi or PVP systems really are.  What happened to Jedi being rare?  Now that is all anyone is going for for the most part.  Let alone they keep boning the profession balance too.

The lag issue is not false.  I was getting lagged out on Corellia between Kor Vella, The Rebel Base and the Agrilat Swamp all the time.  There was noone around, and sometimes typing messages would take up to 30 seconds from keystroke to appear on screen.  Movement was a joke, and finally Mobs would appear but only when you stood still for 5 mins.  I found these lag zones in several other areas on different worlds too.  Yet I could hang out in Theed and heal away with my CM with no problems.

Before you even cry system,  P4 2.8, 256MB Vid card and 1GB of PC3200 RAM.  It wasn't my system.

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

The lag i think is more likely your system trying hard to keep up with the information being delivered from the game. Why the hell cities are so large when there are probably only 5 buildings you actually use i don't know! The bloody cities are even planned as mazes....you can't even go to the bank without navigating a bloody maze!

I might be inclined to agree with that if it only happened in town, but it doesn't. I've hit horrible lag spikes in the wilderness with nothing around me but some trees. And as I've said, absolutely no other game I've played lags my system like that, not CoH, not Lineage 2. I have less lag in town in L2 than I do in the wilderness in SWG sometimes.

Have to say his review is spot on in my opinion, and all the reasons why I left. He also didn't even go into enough detail on how bad the Jedi or PVP systems really are. What happened to Jedi being rare? Now that is all anyone is going for for the most part. Let alone they keep boning the profession balance too.

Thanks! :) For the record the review was originally like 12 pages long and severly got axed. Well, thats 12 pages in Word, final cut was 8 pages in Word I think, maybe 7, so I took out a lot of material. It was hard pickign what stayed and what went but I think in the end it came out pretty well. I didn't harp tooooo bad one the Jedi and PvP system because both are due for a revamp very soon, no sense dogging them too bad for something they're already going to fix, and everyone has really already heard all I could say about them.

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239

all that hype about these being experienced MMOG creators was a mistake.

Fundamental mistakes in creation of this game, and everyone kept hyping this game as being made by creators who have been there and done the MMOG thing before and this is their new version from learning of their mistakes on previous MMOG's.

Post a list of these creators so we can track them when they move onto their  next MMOG and can laff at their experience. Surely do not want to put SWG on your resume.

• thegravyboatthegravyboat Member Posts: 89

I donno, Ive been playing on ahazi and I havent noticed a lack of people.....  I just saw 40ish peeps in the coronet spaceport just waiting for a shuttle, thats not spamers either.  Was in anchorhead buff'n peeps (silly rebels) and i had a like of 10 people needing buffs..... that not including people just wandering around....  lack of people.... all i gotta say is when i played last july, there was barely anyone chillin in any town, but now, crap too many.  For some reason I feel you loged into a weird server that doesnt have anyone on..... donno cuz well, I play on a server with crap loads of people. 

SWG-Ahazi- Kovoa DE/DOC

SWG-Ahazi- Kovoa DE/DOC

• thegravyboatthegravyboat Member Posts: 89

Originally posted by zide56

Gravyboat, why do you feel it's your responsibility to defend a game that doesn't even have feelings?  And then whenever someone insults your beloved SWG, you take it personally and then retaliate with a mean-spirited rebuttal.  Kunou was a lot nicer than I would have been with his review of the gigantic heap of shit that is SWG, and yet you still lash back out at him with harsh words and a sharp tongue.  People have feelings--games do not.

lol I dont see a single personal attack there..... I try to keep it clean :-)  I donno, Ive played alot of mmo's, and none besides the original ac have kept me interested for more then a year.   I quit SWG back in nov, just got back into it at the begining of may due to a freind telling to try it out again.  Well I did, and to my amazement most of everything that made me quit was gone. 

Oh yea, to anyone going to play the game, seriously get either 1 or 2 gig of ram, you're going to need it.  Otherwise, well, you will get what everyone here is complaining about...... 

If I sounded harsh, lol sorry, but I just had a difference of opinion from the author.  Nothing wrong with that now is there?

SWG-Ahazi- Kovoa DE/DOC

SWG-Ahazi- Kovoa DE/DOC

Maybe 40 is considered a lot on your server ? Not on eclipse anyway early on. I recall seeing 3-5 hunting parties making up to 30 members in each one in Mos Espa. That didn't include the 50 people inside the cantina, the 20 people in the med ctr, the 10 people near the bazaar terminals, the 20 or so near the crafting stations, and finally the 10-20 people running around the outskirts = 250+ players in one area. This was most nights too, not just weekends and this was on Tatooine. Go to Theed and it was wall to wall people from the Starport to the Cantina. Now you may see 30 players on a saturday night, but 20 of them are /afk

Best proof that server populations are way down is on the hostile worlds. I used to see close to 50 (sometimes 100 when someone planned a group hunt) on Endor. Before I quit (April) I'd see 2 to 3 most nights. Yavin is the same way, even with the addition of the new dungeon, its still pretty empty there. Sigh, so much potential but its just not to be I guess.

• ServeXServeX Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by zide56

What about the people who create those games?

Boy, your mind is so vast it amazes me.
    ----

oh and Kerry > Bush

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

I log onto Eclipse (i won't use the term play) and the population does seem lower than when i started in September. Whether the popualtion is low for sure i wouldn't like to say. Yes where Anchorhead used to be thriving and combat medic's would camp for hours in med centres all over they are now deserted. Capitals like Theed and Coronet are mostly populated by spammers and the doc's and their queues. Anyone wanting xp and cash go to Dant and anyone for loot go to places like the bunker or geno cave.

I really like the game ....but the nature of it's community, content and bugs are slowly make me hate it more and more. Take away the grind what is there? In daoc i had 3 50's and with each one had a use for, be it grouping with mates, or solo rvr.

Pan

A word on populations:

Yes the populations on servers is going to be lower than it was when the game started.  SWG grew to 375K subscribers faster than any other MMO.  When MMOs are new many of their subscribers are playing at any given time, probably upwards of 40%.  As MMOs mature they generally see about 20% of their subscribers online at any given time.  Now without even losing a subscriber you'd see probably a little more than half of what you saw when the game hit the shelves.  Naturally people have come and gone in the game so you're going to be seeing less than half of what you saw after the game was released last year.