Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Voyage Century: PvP?

Hi All,

I played Voyage Century for about 6 months.  You may have seen my name on the DaGamma and later DaGamma/Cook servers or forums.

During that time, I built my character up fast, and began my attempt at bringing PvP to the game.

Ey?  I bring PvP to the game?  Ya, let me explain:

The PvP in the game is lackluster.  I mean it is really bad.  When you participate in PvP, it is purely point-click-wait.  That is, once you have figured out all the ways around the game's system to prevent PvP in the first place (and you will never be 100% sucessful at that).

Hinderances to PvP are:

- Attack AND KILL someone, and that person's nation or nearest town has you marked as a criminal, blocking access to needed resources in towns.  The only way to get access back is to spend very long ONLINE hours sitting in jail.

- Unless you are VERY VERY CLEVAR or YOU BUY ITEMS FROM THEIR ITEM MALL, it is nearly impossible to attack someone with more character skills than you and WIN.  Not to worry though, after about 1 year of playing, you might catch up to the maxed out players.

- The community is so tender and caring that the mere thought of PvP for most of them is outrageous.  You WILL encounter heavy communal opposition to any agression whatsoever.  A shame really.

- You WILL loose character skills if you persue a career in PvP in Voyage Century Online.  The penalties get more extreme and deductions in hard earned character skills get larger the more people you kill.  This pretty much removes you from the game, or from PvP at least after about 20 kills.

- You WILL be flagged for FREE ATTACK.  Your name will go pink then red, indicating that others can attack you without penalty, the penalties listed above.

- Once you are flagged, if you are killed, you will lose most of your stuff, whether on land, or on the sea.  Since you have had to buy items with real cash to compete with the established players, you will lose real money.  Your PvP victims rarely lose anything of value at all.

- Once you go to jail to remove your flag, or to access town resources, you can expect from 4 hours to 400 days (real life ONLINE time) to rot in jail.  If you are offline, the time is NOT tallied towards your jail time.  That also will remove you from the game play.

As you can see, the game allows PvP, but if you do it, and you are the agressor, the game will push you out of the game.  Also, only those new potential PvPrs that PAY LARGE SUMS OF MONEY for items can compete with the established players (tricky of them).  But, why even bother?  You will be forced from the game anyways if you attempt to be the agressor PvP player.

Basically, the game is NOT for PVP players of any sort!  If you are a chat person, looking to spend hours on end in the GRIND, for a year or so, you can have a magnificent character... that you can do nothing with.

BIG THUMBS DOWN TO VCO FOR THE PVP SIDE!

If you want PvP in a historical sailing game... You are best off at World Of Pirates!

Comments

• KreiaspiritKreiaspirit Member Posts: 3

I agree about VCO "saying NO! to vicious PKers" (as topic on their site :3)... and highly support PvP system in this game. This is historical game. Placed in 16th century, time of exploring, trading and pirates. It is obvious from this that players are required to sail to different parts of globe, regardless of their level.

If game wasn't hostile to PKers (for aggressor in this game is nothing more than that), it would be nothing less but impossible for newbies to "start off" (since only "safe" areas are port and city itself, while players will level on high seas and city suburbs). Besides, NPC AI is very various, and I believe all players will find adequate opponents

To conclude:

Voyage Century Online is community-based game. If your goal in Massive Multiplayer Online Games is to build up your character so you can kill low level players, because you can't fight your own problems in real life - you will not be welcomed here. Please go to some other MMOs, like dozens of others intended for younger audience.

We play this game not because we want "something to do with character after a year", but to have fun while getting there.

As for ginding, as in every mmo - character will upgrade his weapon skill, and gain new abilities with training it. As much as I noticed, it's as developed as in any grindfest, but moves don't look that "cool" (nor you have dragons, pixies & fairies, that's what historical means, y'know). And this is great to hear, considering that gameplay is slightly more oriented to sea battles (which actually gives this developers right to call this game unique :] ), and which is great.

This is one of great games where you can be assured that, if you're acting like an a**hole, you will have to deal with consequences :)

• CedrykCedryk Member Posts: 11

In VCO, low level players are protected anyways.

Once you reach intermediate levels (above 1/3) in certain specific skills, you are open for attack.

It matters not.  If you do the attacking, you are severely punished with outrageous penalties from within the game and outside it (the community).  This community and game do NOT LIKE PKers of any sort.  Of that you can be assured.

If PvE, Grind, and chat is all you want, this is a nice looking game and should hold your interest for a little while. 

If you love the competition of PvP... Well, Look someplace else.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Originally posted by Kreiaspirit

I agree about VCO "saying NO! to vicious PKers" (as topic on their site :3)... and highly support PvP system in this game. This is historical game. Placed in 16th century, time of exploring, trading and pirates. It is obvious from this that players are required to sail to different parts of globe, regardless of their level.
    If game wasn't hostile to PKers (for aggressor in this game is nothing more than that), it would be nothing less but impossible for newbies to "start off" (since only "safe" areas are port and city itself, while players will level on high seas and city suburbs). Besides, NPC AI is very various, and I believe all players will find adequate opponents
    To conclude:
    Voyage Century Online is community-based game. If your goal in Massive Multiplayer Online Games is to build up your character so you can kill low level players, because you can't fight your own problems in real life - you will not be welcomed here. Please go to some other MMOs, like dozens of others intended for younger audience.

We play this game not because we want "something to do with character after a year", but to have fun while getting there.
    As for ginding, as in every mmo - character will upgrade his weapon skill, and gain new abilities with training it. As much as I noticed, it's as developed as in any grindfest, but moves don't look that "cool" (nor you have dragons, pixies & fairies, that's what historical means, y'know). And this is great to hear, considering that gameplay is slightly more oriented to sea battles (which actually gives this developers right to call this game unique :] ), and which is great.
    This is one of great games where you can be assured that, if you're acting like an a**hole, you will have to deal with consequences :)
    Im confused...  historically and you yourself have mentioned pirates. Pirates went around and killed, raped, and pillaged. They were then hunted down.

So... if by saying aggressing as you call it, isnt a part of the game, then they more or less cut out a large portion of that time frame.

No one likes getting griefed... but... piracy is needed in some form IMO.

• KreiaspiritKreiaspirit Member Posts: 3

I just wanted to state it's refreshing for players who don't enjoy pvp to have a decent game for themselves.

and as for pirates - they do their jobs (plundering for now, but I believe that with coming of AoC - raping is likely to show up), just players who didn't choose to be one don't like them very much, nor is the system, which is historically quite true. I believe that there are some pk guilds out there, just not as much as in some fantasy games

anyway, BBO seems to have some improvements there, as well in some other parts of gameplay, it just isn't f2p.

also, VCO forum is one of the best I've ever seen (by tidiness, that is), and I strongly recommend you search there for general (and any other) info on gameplay ( I quit, of course - I quit 9 games since than or so - I always quit everything)

• severusseverus Member Posts: 4

To Kreiaspirit,

First of all, you don't have to "shout out" your opinions to be understood and most likely reactions would be more positive to what you're saying if you'd just write it down normally. Secondly, on your conclusion you seemed to suggest that ones who enjoy PvP are, doing so only because they can kill or grief weaker players/characters, are young or immature in some way and to top that you deemed that they have some real life issues wich they cannot handle. That is quite harsh and presumptuos. If you didn't want to suggest that, I just don't know why did you have to inform people that PvP'ers who are specificly troubled griefer preteens are not wanted in Voyage Century and all this on behalf of whole community... Anyways, you might want to check out EVE online as it's average age of players is 27 yrs, which is one of the highest, maybe even the highest, in MMO's. it has very active, mature, civil community and it is one of the most heavily PvP orientated MMO's around. It should be remembered that there are as many kinds of people that are in for PvP as there are people in for PvE, you shouldn't judge people by their preferences even if it's not your cup of tea. Also it seems to me that VC is not a rarity in regards to giving people acting like jerks what they deserve, it's just a game where engaging in PvP (when attacking nonflagged target) is heavily penalized by the system.

To general audience,

Now, I haven't played Voyage Century but from what I gathered, it sounds like the system is very unsupporting to PvP and it is disencouraged in many ways. I suppose that is what the OP wanted to inform people about and maybe to tell that he was disappointed in the game, which was due to his preference for PvP content. What becomes to historical accuracy, well, I don't want to comment on that. On more general note, pirates have been and still are (although in very much declining numbers) real menace to seagoing society that inflict financial and other true losses. They are not just some romantic addition to seafaring.  In my opinion, if a possibility of piracy or other actions of violence between players is implement in the game it should not be disencouraged in artificial way (like it seems to be done in VC, referring to loss of skills, etc.) but rather in the way it is disencouraged in real life, meaning that people should just do something about it, for example form forces to take out them ebil pierats, make convoys to guard merchant fleets, refuse to trade with perpetrators and so on. There are lot's of possibilities, these were just few to mention. That way there would be more freedom and maybe even more possibilities to trade (one could trade with pirates to make better profits but at same time taking a risk for bad reputation or even becoming an outlaw himself). It always has been in business that the fittest merchants make the most of it and that is because they have had the ability and experince to fend off troubles and pitfalls. I understand that not every game wants to be that demanding and harsh to players as it tends to drive many people away, which in turn is turning down the profits for the company. Fortunately there are lot's of different kind of MMO's to many different kind of people to play.

Yours sincerely, Severus

• CaptAntillusCaptAntillus Member Posts: 58

I am not a very PvP oriented player of VCO, I like to taste the game in full, not just in a little aspect. But if you´re in for PvP, you have opportunities. The guy who started this topic, for exemple, created a guild in the DaGamma&Cook server that goes deeply into PvP. And the game allows you to. This guild has over 70 hostiled guilds, and can attack all the tasked members of them without penalty. Plus, every weekend you have siege war, where you can fight as much as you want. There are guild wars, as well, with much PvP.

Of course, even for a non PvP player like me, some restrictions are annoying, for exemple: If attack a player, you gain notoriety, but you can pray your pink name away. If you kill him, altough, you get red name and has to spend  time in jail. I think this is too much restriction. If you kill one guy, you should be allowed to pray this kill away, but you can´t.

I believe in the long run this may not be an PvP oriented game, but only because its historical roots, the objectives of the game, but you can have it, if you want, and are willing to deal with it.

• TacolaTacola Member CommonPosts: 263

I think the problem is here the understanding behind VCO's pvp.  

It isnt at all PvP unfriendly, it is PKing unfriendly.  Ok, if you just go kill someone, so no reason, yes you are punished.  Your name turns red and now others can attack you without a penalty, and city guards will attack you also.

But. if it is a guild war or siege and you are involved in these events when they occur, PVP is totally welcome, expected and unpunished.  If your guild is Hostile with another guild and a member of the hostile guild is on a guild task, PvP is again welcomed and unpunished.

Sieges are once a week, any level 5 guild and bid on any other guilds cities. ( there are about 9 siegable cities).  The highest bidder by 12 midnight est friday wins the right to siege the city.   All members of the winning guild and the guild that owns the city are now on guild task until the siege happens ( 7pm est Saturday night).  Again, these guys are fair game for PvP now if you are hostile to the guild, even if your guild doesnt own the city or wins the bid.

Guild Wars - these can happen any night.   They start at 8pm est and all allied guilds can join on their allied guilds side for the war.   There is an opening sea battle, if the attackers win that , then there is a land battle that follows.  The losing guild will lose 30% of there commercialzation, which will without a doubt drop a level5 guild to level 4.

And the owners of a city can call for open PVP in their city or any of there territories.  IE.  Maderia  controls Las plamas, Daker, Faial island and Santa Maria as well as Maderia of course.

So pvp isnt at all frowned on here, but open PKing for no reason is.  Which I think is a good system.  The ones who dont like PvP really can almost totally avoid PVP and the ones who like it can participate if there are level 31 or above.

PVP has value here, Owning a city can get you and your guild some rare items that can be bought at the Municple Minister in each siegable city.  Of course you have level up your city to get them =).  And if you are a PKer, well you can risk losing all you inventory if you attack someone and fail.  Including your weapon and armor !YIKES!

Skill based combat and leveling along with, Farming, Mining, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Sea battles, Land Battles, Diplomacy, Timbering, Elqouence, Merchant missions, Warrior mission, storyline mission, Adventurer mission, etc...

It is a very good game indeed.

And no payments are required, all Itme Mall stuff is sold in game by players for silver.  Yeah it takes longer to earn silver and buy Item Mall then clicking the paypal button, but I know player who do just that.

I have been playing for 7 months, I have a main character and two supporting characters.  I have spend about $100 in this time.  But now that my main is reaching some of the level caps, my spending as decreased alot.

Hope to see you guys on the Open Sea in VCO, hehe Open Sea is also open PvP area =).

• WhiteknightIWhiteknightI Member Posts: 63

I like what I see so far.  It looks like a similar system to what UO had.