Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Exclusive Review

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Our own Richard Duffek (Kunou) has just completed his review of Star Wars Galaxies.  It has been a little over a year since SWG hit the shelves and Kunou has taken a look at the current state of the game.  Here is a snippet:

I had played SWG previously, in beta and for a couple months after release. I know there have been several changes made recently so I figured it would be nice to jump back into the SWG world and see what was going on these days. And while I was at it, why not type up a nice little review for the site? Naturally my first inclination was to load up my previous account, reactivate it and go from there. But no I decided, let's go in fresh; get the perspective of a new player coming in for the first time. So, sit back and enjoy the read, let's see what SWG has to offer.

You can read the full review here.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

This the best review of this title I have ever read, and I agree with it 100%. Though in my own bias opinion the game wasn't too easy to master persay, but too underwhelming. It was a title I shrugged off, and ever since I cancelled my account -which still had a month and a half due to a game card- I never had the desire nor the general will to play through this title again.

• clinteastclinteast Member UncommonPosts: 159

Excellent review.  I left ages ago but the community at that time was excellent(played on European servers which in the past most of us played on Eclipse and then left).

I maybe one of many who will come back for the space expansion...

Poor is the man whoose pleasure depends on the permission off another

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

Thanks for the thumbs up :) Now go explain it to these people over here. :)

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Not a bad review at all, but it clearly shows you didn't play the game for very long. The game doesn't have a lack of players, if you look at the ammount of servers and there status during prime time you'd see this. I see you included a screenshot of the server screen. All the servers but 1 is light, when did you take this? 8AM PST?

The problem is that people don't spend hardly any time in NPC cities anymore. Because advancement is so fast (personally it's just right) players are spending the vast majority of there time on advanced planets, which apparently you never went to because then you wouldn't have noticed how swarmed some of the advanced planets are lmao. That and Player Cities have taken over. There isn't anything a player can get in an NPC city that they cant get in a Player City as well, so why leave your home base if the only reason to do so would be to go to an advanced planet lmao.

The devs have agreed that this is a problem and are working on a way to releave it, and have already started by adding some interesting quests and things to do in bestine. Hopefully as time goes on they will continue to do the same with other cities (accept Theed & Coronet, which don't need it all lmao.)

I disagree with much of your review, but hey we are all entitled to our opinion I suppose :) The only other thing I really disagreed with was your fun rating. You stated nothing new that affected your fun rating. Everything you wrote about were passed experiences with your previous character and the current Jedi system (which is a major downside of the game, as most would agree.)

Did you spend more then a few hours killing newbie mobs outside of some starter town and then right your 'fun factor' review? Didn't you even try out an advanced profession, or go to one of the more advanced combat planets or dungeons or hunting grounds even on the basic planets?

I cant help but think you wrote that review after comming into the game expecting not to like it and then spending about 10 hours total time confirming that.

Besides that it was well written, and like I said, we are all entitled to an opinion.. as a player who has played since late beta2, I would have rated it much higher, even just for the simple reason that so much has improved in the game, apparently many things you failed to notice.

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259
    I agree completely with the previous post!!!

• ValorusValorus Member Posts: 235

I guess I'm going to be the sore thumb here, but personally I didn't think it was a review at all. It was more of a rant and a personal view of in game music than anything else.

It's a shame alot of people will be influenced by this so called review.

Its a solid game with lots of features and not at all easy to become bored, unless you do nothing but craft, but then again I don't know a game where only doing crafting stayed fun forever.

For those out there thinking about giving this a shot or going for the free trial - do it. I think you will be surprised.

• LawieLawie Member UncommonPosts: 50

well like i always say,  evryone has their own opinions, either you like a game or you don't.

and reviews like this one, is mostly based on the person itself, and not neutral. if this guy dislike such game as SWG, then it would be a bad review for others who love that game. And likewise. im not saying its a bad review, or a good one... but you must first see who's the person who had written it. if you know he's neutral, then its a good review, but otherwise its not. many review-writers write what they think and not neutral...

anyway, i haven't read the whole review, not that im not interested, but i just got a headacheimageimage
    But i think SWG is really going to be something, at least i hope so

• Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261

I knew over 20 people playing SWG, now I know none.  I tried again during the free time earlier this year and I did go to a lot of planets and my impression of a ghost town was also there.  We don't know how many people are actually suscribed to the game but after 3 months they were proudly announcing 300k, and since then no announces.

I am happy for those who like the game in its present state, but I thing the devs missed the boat, what should of been the biggest MMORPG on the market was turned into a niche product.  No loot, single character servers and many other decisions have limited the attraction of the game.

I know a lot of people who will retry the game when the space expansion arrives, personally I don't trust the devs to make that more appealing than they did the rest of the game.

• clinteastclinteast Member UncommonPosts: 159

I liked SWG when it first came out and i played it for about 6 months or so.   The thing that killed it off for me probably was the introduction of how to become a jedi and people grinding out proffesions to find out what 4 they had to master.

PvP was ok but some classes where way stronger than others Commando's/Bounty Hunters/Martial Artists etc.

Best thing about the game was the player community and the crafting was quite good.

What finally made me leave was the big battle on dantooine i believe Rebels vs Imps we all met up on chimera(think thats servers name) and it lagged the game for hours.  Not sure the game was designed for 100's-1000 players vs one another.

Must say Star Wars Battlefront looks promising..

Poor is the man whoose pleasure depends on the permission off another

• HjörvarrHjörvarr Member Posts: 38

Spot on review, I gave the game 6 months to grab me and finally just had to leave.  This game has potential out the yin-yang, but falls so short it makes me sick.  It got to the point, that when I came home at night, I was looking for chores to do, to avoid playing.

Anyway in future, instead of typing out long, drawn out posts explaining what I have thought of SWG to friends on other boards, I am just gonna link them here.

Great review!