Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isn't Anyone upset by the Space Expansion ?

admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

First off, SOE lied to us again (gee what a surprise) by first telling us it would be out shortly after release of the game. Hmm, almost a year as passed and still no pack. Second, devs said more planets were in the works along with professions. What do we get, no planets and one lousy profession (pilot)

If I want to be a space pilot I'll go play X-Wing. Space zones, what kind of crap is that ? We all had dreams of flying over Endor with our ships. The zooming off to Hoth or Dagobah. Or maybe starting our own ferry service. How about the smugglers who dreamed of actually getting to smuggle goods on their ships ? All dead dreams thanks to soe. Instead we end up with zones for griefers and prepubsecent punks to get their jollies in.

This game was advertised by SOE as casual gamer friendly (anyone remember that). Now all we see is SOE playing to powergamers by releasing dungeon after stupid dungeon in a vain attempt to keep thos powergamers happy with something to camp for a few weeks. How about fixing the Gungan Sacred place SOE ? Its been broken for a year now. Nope, gotta add a dungeon so powergamers don't quit like everyone else already has.

Bye Bye SOE, you've seen the last of my dollars ever again.

Comments

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

They never said it would be out shortly after release.  They said that about mounts/vehicles/cities.

Having a new planet was scrapped so they could put more stuff on the current planets.  Seems like a better idea than having a new planet with nothing really to do there right?

There are 4 new professions, however 3 are pilot professions the 4th is Shipwright so you can make ships.

SWG is very casual gamer friendly, there's nothing wrong with adding in a couple high level dungeons.  If I'm not mistaken the next "dungeon" is really a social quest system for entertainers so they can get cool new stuff.  That's not very power gameresque is it?  Though yes the Gungan Sacred Place does need to be fixed.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    I really was hoping for Smugglers to be able to smuggle so see giant capital ship battles and more. Instead all we get are the fighters. That's pretty lame. I wanted my guild to have a fleet be amble to set up ambushes for the empire and more. Well maybe they will add that in eventually. I was gonna come back for space expansion but after reading what it is I might as well play X-Wing alliance online.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by admriker444

First off, SOE lied to us again (gee what a surprise) by first telling us it would be out shortly after release of the game. Hmm, almost a year as passed and still no pack. Second, devs said more planets were in the works along with professions. What do we get, no planets and one lousy profession (pilot)

A.  They never said it will be out shortly.  Never.  They said fall of 2004 (which is September through November of 2004)

Planets? Its a Space expansion, hence "Space" you will see ships and pilot professions (and its not one..they have 4)

If I want to be a space pilot I'll go play X-Wing. Space zones, what kind of crap is that ? We all had dreams of flying over Endor with our ships. The zooming off to Hoth or Dagobah. Or maybe starting our own ferry service. How about the smugglers who dreamed of actually getting to smuggle goods on their ships ? All dead dreams thanks to soe. Instead we end up with zones for griefers and prepubsecent punks to get their jollies in.

Again ...its a Space expansion.....SPACE lol. Plus you wont have people coming out and whacking you lol. If your overt yes...

This game was advertised by SOE as casual gamer friendly (anyone remember that). Now all we see is SOE playing to powergamers by releasing dungeon after stupid dungeon in a vain attempt to keep thos powergamers happy with something to camp for a few weeks. How about fixing the Gungan Sacred place SOE ? Its been broken for a year now. Nope, gotta add a dungeon so powergamers don't quit like everyone else already has.

They've added a tad bit more than the Deathwatch bunker....how long has it been since u last played?

Oh my god, Im sounding like Xplorororor

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• Mr_ManMr_Man Member Posts: 77

Hoth and Dagobah don't belong in this game yet.  Imperials should not know of the Rebel base until Darth Vader discovers it.  There should be no Imps, covert or overt, on Hoth period.  Sure, they have broken continuity with Jedi, but I can suspend disbelief and think that all of the Jedi that are appearing now died between ANH and ROTJ.  I can't suspend disbelief that the Imperials found the Rebel Base on Hoth, raided it, then forgot about it. 

As far as planets go, I can see Geonosis, Kashyyyk, Mon Calamari, and stuff being added and wouldn't mind seeing something like that in the game.  But, I'm not pushing for more planets just yet.  They do need to develop the existing ones more.

I think there is more to the vehicles that they have announced.  I'm sure there will be some smuggling/storage mechanism on some ships.  The only thing I'm disappointed in so far is that the only vehicle you can walk around in is the YT-1300.  I wanted more vehicles, like Imp shuttles or something.  Anything that ties the land game to the space game.

Now, you are right that they SHOULD be adding more with this expansion.  However, I think it should be more in the form of space stations (like the Corellian Corvette.  They have already done this, it can't be that much harder to add a few more).  Maybe a Rebel shipyard or Imperial asteroid mine.  Just some new zone that's out in SPACE to walk around in. 

To me, this game doesn't seem right if it's a completely different game out in space than it is on the ground.  I did like seeing the movie of the person walking through the YT-1300 into the cockpit, but is that it?  Do we actually see our characters, our avatar representations of ourselves, in the cockpits of our X-Wings?  Does our customized colored R2 unit sit in it?  This is the stuff I want to know.  I want more of a bridge between the land game and the space game.  The mechanics between the two sound COMPLETELY different, and the content sounds different as well.  This should be all one vision, not a totally new game.

I understand that there are frustrations with the lack of content at the moment, but I think the devs have been very proactive since 2004 started and are very, very slow, but are dealing with these issues.  The initial development was probably horribly mis-managed, but now seems better.

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by TookyG

They never said it would be out shortly after release.  They said that about mounts/vehicles/cities

Incorrect they said the expansion would be out six to nine months after the initial release of the game.

Where is the Miner profession that they removed.
    Where is the other factions. Those were supose to be with the expansion.
    Yes, new planets were supose to be with the expansion as well. However I can understand why not adding them because the current ones are lacking and too much area for such small player base.

Originally posted by LuRavi

Incorrect they said the expansion would be out six to nine months after the initial release of the game.

They also never expected so many problems with the original release either.  That's taken over a year to work out 80% of all the bugs.  From what Ive seen on the official forums it was general knowledge that the expansion wasn't going to be released in six to nine months as they said the mounts alone would take 4.

Where is the Miner profession that they removed.

There is  no need for a Miner Profession.  I was one of the beta testers heavily suggesting that they removed it image It makes no sense to have a miner when any person could plant a heavy harvester in the ground and extract resources.  The profession was mundane and not necessary

Where is the other factions. Those were supose to be with the expansion.

Can't help with that one.  Im not saying you're wrong, But i never heard an official response about adding factions in the expansion.

Yes, new planets were supose to be with the expansion as well. However I can understand why not adding them because the current ones are lacking and too much area for such small player base.

agreed

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Take away all artisan classes' ability to survey and mine and give to the Miners only. Suddenly they're quite useful. Also would eliminate the millions of resources flooding the market and therefore goods as well. Also makes crafters more reliant on merchant only types. As it stands now, nobody can survive as merchants only. Make artisans spend some of that huge cash pile on mining or force them to rely on others.... balance.

I'm glad someone actually remembers the talk of adding new planets back then. I'm just not the type to "settle" because SOE can't fix the bugs. If they stopped catering to the power gamers by working on dungeons and actually fixed some things (combat revamp) hmm, maybe the game wouldn't be in such sad shape.

I'll renew my subscription only when SOE does this, actually make the Jawas give missions (and be able to chat with them) at their Fortress hideout on Tattooine, and fix the Gungan sacred place. Do two lousy simple things and maybe I'll come back. Until then, no stupid dungeon is going to do it.

• batsumishibatsumishi Member Posts: 2

Are there still a dozen broken professions? I played for about 4 months and got my FS slot open (nailed the first 4 holos... got the silent on the 6th) and then I never played my Jedi because I couldn't get pearls or crystals.  That was the end of the game for me.

I think it's dumb that they're working on an expansion at all... they should fix everything, or at least try to fix everything, before they start pushing in a new big load of content.

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

Hello

Yes there are still broken professions. Bounty hunter missions are still bugged. The combat rebalance promised last year vanished in place of a quick jedi fix. Uber loot has made an appearance...even though that was contradictory to SOE's policy. The only professions that have a chance of getting this loot are overly powered melee characters who loot while AFK and farm for cash while AFK. Loot such as schematics, skill tapes, weapons and armour are for sale at around 4 to 5 million. The only classes affording these prices are the afking macroed melee players.

Killstealing of krayt dragons for pearls is rampant.

I have serious misgivings about the space expansion. It seems there will be two distinct genres in the same game. Which will get the majority of work done to them? Which one will they try to nerf/rebalance/concentrate on?? Will anyone be on the planets when the expansion arrives? The expansion will kill off planet based part of the game. What of the jedi....what many consider the "end game" content of swg...what will there place be in space??

I just wish they would get the game to work right in the first place. Remove uber templates and fix bugs!

But all mmorpgs are bugged on release 6, 9 months after release right??? Guess what SOE your baby is close to it's first birthday!!

Pan

Originally posted by batsumishi

Are there still a dozen broken professions? I played for about 4 months and got my FS slot open (nailed the first 4 holos... got the silent on the 6th) and then I never played my Jedi because I couldn't get pearls or crystals.  That was the end of the game for me.

The only broken profession that I see now is the Bounty Hunter.  However, from the Master Bounty Hunter's I have been talking to says its not that bad...its only the Jedi Missions that needs some srious work.  Also, after publish 9 (next week) they are revamping the Jedi.  To make a long story short, they are making changes to the Jedi and hunting down pearls and crystals will be changed.

I think it's dumb that they're working on an expansion at all... they should fix everything, or at least try to fix everything, before they start pushing in a new big load of content.

When was the last time y ou were on??  I left back in January totally disgusted with the gameplay, pokemon, nerfed professions, broken professions, etc.  I came back three weeks ago and I am impressed so far.  Yes, there are still some issues but you can easily tell the DEVs are trying to work on those now instead of what their attitudes were last Fall. 

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

I quit in early April after they announced putting off the combat revamp. Pistoleer was still broken. Most of the specials didn't work at all or as intended. I don't recall if the knockdown move (pistol melee 2) ever worked. Besides stopping shot, worthless profession.

Some of the chef products were still broken. Smuggler's delight had yet to work, to the dismay of smugglers everywhere.

Smugglers still aren't smuggling anything and are pissed about space pack. Many had hoped for smuggler type missions from it.

Ranger, still the most borked profession out there. What do the devs do, they release a droid that makes novice scouts almost as effective as them. Then they remove the camp requirement for taking out pets or vehicles. The only value at all for being a ranger (i was a master for several months) is roleplaying. Tracking still is pathetic. What good is 500m range for tracking something when players can zoom away faster than you can track them. If the range and accurracy were improved maybe we'd be useful as trackers for BH (jedi) line. As it stands now, no fixes are coming for this year at all. I quit over this...

Pistoleer was still broken. Most of the specials didn't work at all or as intended. I don't recall if the knockdown move (pistol melee 2) ever worked. Besides stopping shot, worthless profession.

I remember the days when people were crying nerf for the Pistoleer...ah nostalgia....

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Originally posted by TookyG
    I remember the days when people were crying nerf for the Pistoleer...ah nostalgia....

lol yeah

I remember 3 weeks after release people were screaming NERF to the pistoleer as they were doing body3 shots for 1880 - 2400 points of damage with a substandard Fwg5 pistol

lol, its funny how the merry-go thing works.

Also the y are working on combat in next publish!

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I think this is a good thread.  I have been playing SWG since it was released (and some of the beta).  I have seen many things that are still broken or missing, but I can also see things that have been fixed and added. 

To me content is the big issue.  There is far too much area with far too little to do.  I still have fun playing because I happen to be lucky enough to have a great community on Kettemoor that often has player-made content.  However, SOE should not rely on us to provide all of the fun, I think a lot has to be added and fixed to make SWG a great game.  Overall, I am not dissatisfied, but I had higher expectations of SWG at this point.

The space expansion seem like it could be fun.  Even if it is a totally different game, at least it is something different and not some "filler" content.  I am anxious to try it out.

I have not lost faith in SOE yet as I get the feeling many gamers have.  I am still looking forward to some great stuff to be added to SWG and I am expecting a great game in Everquest II.

With all of that said, I think the best thing that we, as customers of SOE can do, is post the constructive comments, suggestions, and complaints on the official forums at Station.com (for what it's worth).

There are so many mmorpgs coming that will make the market even more competitive, which hopefully will get SOE moving more quickly and diligently towards improving SWG and all of their mmorpgs.

Originally posted by En1Gma

Also the y are working on combat in next publish!

Actually the 2 combat publishes will be 11 & 12.  Publish 9, the current Jedi conversion, is currently scheduled to go live June 22nd.

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

Broken professions??

Horrendous ham costs associated with  carbines. I once asked on the carbineer forum what if any "content" there was for carbineers. I had a universal zero!

Smugglers spices are redundant and have been surpassed by chef's food. Combat skills on smuggler line are useless except feign death 

Bounty hunters droid bug's, npc's not spawning, jedi missions not working (or as some now believe turned off)

Rangers tracking is still poor also what need is the camping line of scout and ranger now, now no one groups or camps aren't needed to call pets?

Pistoleer skills don't work as advertised "on the can"

Combat medic skills are rarely used as almost every group is a "solo group"

Swg for months has "had flavour of the month" prefessions...first it was tka/doc hybrids, next tka/rifleman and now fencer hybrids are becoming a pain afking in all camp spots. Check out the tka forums...one today even has one post from one guy revelling in his profession proclaiming why he has become tka. One guy asking where he should hunt was told "you can pretty much solo whatever you want to"!

Thats just a few of the problems i am aware of with some classes. I'm annoyed with the fact that jedi that only started making an appearance in January in any large numbers have had quick fixes. While droid engineers were nerfed almost almost from day one and made droids useless as a combat ally they had to wait till pub 7 or 8 was it??

There are still broken professions imo!

Pan

• KoronusKoronus Member Posts: 6

They did say the space expansion would be out soon after release, but they also said the game was going to be released in 2002

• OracleP4OracleP4 Member Posts: 495
    Yup, SWG sux and the expansion pack will suck too! There are much better MMORPGs out there!

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

Like: DAoC, WOW, GW, DnL
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2, CoH
    Don't Care About: Most Everything Else

• ServeXServeX Member Posts: 27

Im glad you're gone bubs.

• ServeXServeX Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by OracleP4
    Yup, SWG sux and the expansion pack will suck too! There are much better MMORPGs out there!

-------------------
    --OracleP4

you my friend are a ****ing moron. The expansion isn't even out yet. You can't review an expansion that hasn't been released. Play it then speak genious.

Originally posted by OracleP4 
    and the expansion pack will suck too! There are much better MMORPGs out there!

I try to be fair with my Pros and Cons reviews on the game so far.  I give both the good and the bad when talking about this game.

But don't you think it's a little bit brash, unrealistic, and unfair to say an expansion (in which you have never played or betad) will "suck"?  I mean the only thing you seen was a 30 second video and a thread about the 4 professions and the 15 different ships that will be released.

I will totally support someone who thinks a game sucks as it is in their on right to think so (I think Lineage 2 belongs in a hemorroid) as I think games suck too.

LOL, but dont say a game will suck when u haven't even beta it yet.  Beta it and then say it sucks image

Originally posted by ServeX

you my friend are a ****ing moron. The expansion isn't even out yet. You can't review an expansion that hasn't been released. Play it then speak genious.

I tell you what, I'll play it when you learn how to spell properly, genius image  Until then, back to school for you!

-------------------

--OracleP4

-------------------

--OracleP4

Originally posted by En1Gma

I try to be fair with my Pros and Cons reviews on the game so far.  I give both the good and the bad when talking about this game.

But don't you think it's a little bit brash, unrealistic, and unfair to say an expansion (in which you have never played or betad) will "suck"?  I mean the only thing you seen was a 30 second video and a thread about the 4 professions and the 15 different ships that will be released.

I will totally support someone who thinks a game sucks as it is in their on right to think so (I think Lineage 2 belongs in a hemorroid) as I think games suck too.

LOL, but dont say a game will suck when u haven't even beta it yet.  Beta it and then say it sucks image

I think I replied to another one of your posts, the one about where you get the keycode from... and there I explain how SWG went from decent game to suck.  And the space expansion won't help cause they're not adding enough new stuff.  One profession, one race, no new planets... wow...  They really decided to go all out on this one... snore.. next!

-------------------

--OracleP4

-------------------

--OracleP4

• skybugskybug Member Posts: 30

Developers can never catch a break. There are always some pee-brains whiming about something all over the place. ITs a game, if you are not having fun, dont play.

I think two games in one thing is great. I dont care if it has bugs. They all do. Gotta compare the concepts. And being able to switch from one type of environment to a completely another in a game with one monthly fee and one characters is a good idea. Better than shlepping around the whole mmorpg market trying to figure out which game sucks least.

"rant, rant, rant"

Originally posted by skybug

Developers can never catch a break. There are always some pee-brains whiming about something all over the place. ITs a game, if you are not having fun, dont play.
    I think two games in one thing is great. I dont care if it has bugs. They all do. Gotta compare the concepts. And being able to switch from one type of environment to a completely another in a game with one monthly fee and one characters is a good idea. Better than shlepping around the whole mmorpg market trying to figure out which game sucks least.
    "rant, rant, rant"

Agreed.