Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free three weeks of play

13»

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Originally posted by frodus

Same here...former Jedi knight here 2 1/2 yrs in that game and naritus is just dead ...but hey my home is still their ....go swg WOOT but out of 78 friends on my list not one was on...O its just brakes my warm fussy heart .so their are parts in swg that u have no reason to be in....boy it says volumes about the game

lol, like the whole game.

I just subbed for a bit  myself to check the game out again. I saw a few people who hadn't played in 3 years that came back for the trial. I talked to them a few times and they never logged back in again. The only Cantina in the game that has players is in Mos Eisley , unlike the old days when ents where anywhere the players were. I noticed most of them were afk nobodies with generic names, I assume an army of gold farmers leveling ent because it's easier. None of them can buff, and they don’t speak. It reminded me of an invasion of the body snatchers. I thought maybe there would be new people to meet, nope just a bunch of leveling farmers.

Either way I was very disappointed in the game still. They added Beast Mastery, but honestly I don't really get the point of it. How come they never did the same with droids in the game? It’s supposed to be Star Wars. I actually got bored of it after 2 weeks (which is a record BTW) with BM. I made a ton of pets and leveled them, but getting them to 90 is a pain, and slower than leveling your toon. You do all this work to grow and train a beast to 90, but once you get there the modifications make little difference, it still woops the crap out of other players so what’s the point whether they have one attack modification vs another. It's more of an “I win button”.

They increased the mob difficulty, lol why? It’s not like the loot they drop is worth the effort, and if you kill a hard mob you get crap and the XP is of no use. In the old days you could max combat XP to carry over to your regrind once you dropped a profession for another. Now you at 90 you still get big XP, but for what? You will always be 90 and you can’t use the xp for anything. Playing Elder Jedi means little in the game, I can turn blue! whoopty f'n doo!

You used to be able to become better in any weapon area you choose, but now you just get a certification and you know everything you need to know.  If one BH fights another the one who wins is the one who has the least lag. Completely pointless and boring. In the old days some people may have spammed one special, but my armor weapons, buffs, counters moves, skill enhancement tapes was what helped me win over the other. Now everyone is pretty much the same, or at least uses the same things against each other to win. It all comes down to who lags the most.

The game just seems so mechanical now. It used to have a living breathing essence about it which compared to other games at the time it was one of the things I loved about it. Combat used to be more RPG style, which I thought I hated believe it or not, but SWG made it play so cool, now it feels more like a flash game ad on the corner of a website. I kept expecting 100 re-fi sites to pop up as I was in combat. NPC AI is out of wack, it's always day time, and nothing DBs.

Overall the game gets a 4 out of 10 in my rating, but only because I like Star Wars, not the game itself.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• sinstersinster Member Posts: 118

i really hope soe does not get to do the next star wars mmo. dear god noooooooooooooooooooooo

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by sinster

i really hope soe does not get to do the next star wars mmo. dear god noooooooooooooooooooooo

No way that happens.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by AveBethos

Originally posted by sinster

No way that happens.

I do wonder what happend to the following  from December '05

MacIntyre believes that, over the long haul, the monthly subscription model will disappear from the MMOG market and will evolve to the selling of virtual items, an in-game economy, and the selling of premium services. But, she says, not immediately. (The Agency being their first big titel test model maybe saying BIG as the model already excist in smaller SOE games and EQ2 has their own exchange server wich is i believe a similiar setup in the way they seem to want to start this in a full game for all)

"Not all games are set up around the buying and selling of items, which would make it very difficult to take a game like 'Star Wars Galaxies' and make that transition," she says.
    But, she adds, when "Star Wars Galaxies 2" is developed -- perhaps in 2008 or 2009 -- things will be different. "If we were starting to build 'Star Wars Galaxies' today, we would absolutely consider building it from the ground up with premium services." http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001698964 

• AnkorAnkor Member Posts: 258

I get no free 21 day trial.

Seems some get it and other dont.

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by Obraik

You're spot on man.  The severs need to be merged badly.  You could comfortably fit all the playerbase into no more than 3 - 5 servers.  What a WASTE of $$$ by SOE to keep these servers standing alone.
    Little has changed.  1.5 years and so little has changed. 

Merging the servers that hit Medium or higher would be a bad idea.

MOST of the servers don't get near that level and they cost money to operate.  It only makes sense to merge unless SOE has the idea that the populations will get back to Pre-CU level, which we all know they never will.  I think it would make a lot of people mad but really help in the long run.

There's around 6-8 that hit Medium.  3-4 hit Heavy - Very Heavy.

Ive played on Bria, the most populated server, during primetime, and let me tell you that it is NOT "Heavy". I think they rate the whole server on  how many people are in Mos Eisley. 

There are less people on now than 3 months after the NGE hit, the game is going down, not up.

If the whiny vets would stfu, maybe our little wow-in-space game could succeed! I think it has what it takes to be the best mmo out there STILL, but with the stifled incoming population due to the vets and crappy reviews at launch, the game will never pick back up off the ground.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• CaswellCaswell Member Posts: 89

Sad to hear the Shadowfire is a ghost town now.  I was considering using the 21-day vet trial, but there's no need if I'm going to have to reroll on a new server.  If I'm going to build a new social network in an MMORPG, it's not going to be in a four year old game.

I'll add this to the debate about crafters, crafted items vs. looted and populations.  If you're an armorsmith now and you deal in custom orders, you're not busy.  I was one of Shadowfire's top armorsmiths for two years, and I could barely keep up with demand running large weekly batches produced in over a dozen factories running 24/7, 365.  I used to laugh at people who sent me tells for custom armor that wasn't interwoven RIS (when that was rare) or something made with an exceptional drop.