Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remember when...?

eldanlocoeldanloco Member Posts: 210

Remember back in a more simple time when there was 1 world?  I do.  I remember being able to run around and kill liches in Deceit with my silver halbred of vanquishing and it was damn fun.  BUT WAIT!!  A murderer approaches!!  I am dead, he loots my body, and I have to get ressed on the snow island of doom lol.  I get ressed, get gated back to Brit and start mining at the local mines for more money, for another halbred, to do it all over again.  Those were the days!

--------------------------------
Darkfall: December or vaporware!

Comments

• DelluciusDellucius Member Posts: 59
    Old old days, never coming back.
  • RonnyRulzRonnyRulz Member Posts: 479

Originally posted by eldanloco

Remember back in a more simple time when there was 1 world?  I do.  I remember being able to run around and kill liches in Deceit with my silver halbred of vanquishing and it was damn fun.  BUT WAIT!!  A murderer approaches!!  I am dead, he loots my body, and I have to get ressed on the snow island of doom lol.  I get ressed, get gated back to Brit and start mining at the local mines for more money, for another halbred, to do it all over again.  Those were the days!

As much as I miss the old days of classic UO, that sounds like the opposite of fun. That sounds like a good reason to add trammel, and makes trammel sound appealing.

IMO, it wasn't trammel that made UO change to be nowhere near as good. If any patch, it was the paralyzing spears, destroy-armor/shield maces, and worthless lumberjacking (a.k.a. nerfed swords) as well as the ridiculous mind blast.

What made UO amazing were two things:

1) I was 13, and thus everyone was my friend or enemy, I was incredibly friendly, accepting, and stupid. Everything was fun, regardless if it was boring or not. And most of all, I had a few really good friends, and a couple best friends who made the game fun because, with them, everything was an adventure.

2) Population levels (and only one faccet, Felluca) made the game ALIVE, with plenty of people, guild vs guild fights, etc. etc. Introduction to trammel made the Fel towns ghost towns.

What ruined UO were two things:

1) I am now almost 22, and do not have my youth anymore, and nothing is able to change that.

2) With the introduction to trammel and the age of the game, if I want to PvP, the towns are ghost-towns. It lacks the mix of the populated areas of trammel, but with the PvP fun of Felluca. Combined, you get the best of both worlds. Seperated, you feel something is missing in both.

3) With every patch to combat made the game worse and worse. Lumberjacking and mind blast? What a joke.

• AsterivethAsteriveth Member UncommonPosts: 109

Originally posted by RonnyRulz

As much as I miss the old days of classic UO, that sounds like the opposite of fun. That sounds like a good reason to add trammel, and makes trammel sound appealing.

IMO, it wasn't trammel that made UO change to be nowhere near as good. If any patch, it was the paralyzing spears, destroy-armor/shield maces, and worthless lumberjacking (a.k.a. nerfed swords) as well as the ridiculous mind blast.

1) I was 13, and thus everyone was my friend or enemy, I was incredibly friendly, accepting, and stupid. Everything was fun, regardless if it was boring or not. And most of all, I had a few really good friends, and a couple best friends who made the game fun because, with them, everything was an adventure.

2) Population levels (and only one faccet, Felluca) made the game ALIVE, with plenty of people, guild vs guild fights, etc. etc. Introduction to trammel made the Fel towns ghost towns.

1) I am now almost 22, and do not have my youth anymore, and nothing is able to change that.

2) With the introduction to trammel and the age of the game, if I want to PvP, the towns are ghost-towns. It lacks the mix of the populated areas of trammel, but with the PvP fun of Felluca. Combined, you get the best of both worlds. Seperated, you feel something is missing in both.

3) With every patch to combat made the game worse and worse. Lumberjacking and mind blast? What a joke.

You have lost your youth at 22?

Forget UO. If your youth is spent at 22 then you have far more serious troubles.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by RonnyRulz

I want to reply to this because I played the game for a long time... 1997 into 2002.. forget when I quit exactly..   So anyway the next part will just be my opinion/experience... so that's all its meant to be.

Personally I was 28 when the game went live.. so my view was that of a "young" person.. but one with real world experience.  I'd already been to college... visited a few countries etc etc

When I first heard about UO tho.. my response may have been different.  See I thought about single player Ultima.. I mean I grew up on a Commodore 64 playing those games.  So I was like.. dang I can play Ultima with other people.. go on quests oh ya..

Obviously I log in .. and find something.. well rather twisted.  I mess around and get comfortable with the controls.. and go out of Brit up to the grave yard.  Things go well then I go link dead... log in to find I was .. oh yes murdered.

Well that happens various ways.  Altho I never actually saw anyone attack me as I had always gone linkdead (had dial up then.. as there was no cable in swamp central florida at the time anyway).

So finally one day I didn't go link dead.. but wait I got hit with greater poison.  Oh that was bugged at the time so it perma dropped your strength when it wore off.  So then I couldn't even wear the armor I had.. because it required a certain strength (off to mine).

Yes so in many ways it was the opposite of fun. I actually was going to cancel before my first 30 days was up.  Then I met a few people.. they formed a guild...  that was fun.. very fun.  Altho at the time there were no guild stones so we just all talked on icq.  Then I met another person in the guild (I call it a guild even tho I believe there was no guild function in the game at that time.. but its habit).  Anyway this guy got me to start pvp'ing with him.. because he loved to pvp and nobody else would.

Well that took some doing but I learned quick.. and really began to love the game.

Many of the nerfs that came in over time didn't affect the builds I used.. and some skill sets I had which most thought were useless.. later got rather over powered.  I had a bard back when I don't think I'd ever seen another one... then next thing you knew.. bards were everywhere (as an example).

As to the idea of "losing gear" that was part of what made UO have a viable crafter economy.  Later when mana regen was based off armor worn.. we called (at least on Sonoma) a gimp suit.  The most AC you could get and still have decent mana regen.  I sold those suits at 2000 gold.. and pretty much that was all profit.  I mined all my own ore etc etc... Now you could make 2000 gold pretty fast.

When I pvp'd I had at least 5 packs in my bank that were the exact gear I always used.  Thus if I died and was looted.. I hit the bank and was instantly equipped.  Usually I ended up with my gear back from killing the person.. as well as having some of theirs.

Crafted stuff wasn't expensive... then again I also remember being one of the few people that bothered to stock their vendor.. I got so burned out on that.. that I finally retired from crafting for others.

I don't really remember mind blast... I remember para -> explosion -> energy bolt.. as explosion had a delay on it so it hit at the same time.. so you could rinse/repeat.

Never bothered me to have lumberjacking for the axe bonus.. (believe swords was in there too but its been a long time).  I guess I could see how it bothered some...

Trammel .. the bad thing was they did it to late.  By the time Trammel came it was pointless.  You are correct that Trammel didn't ruin the game.  The fact was they didn't understand how many people they would lose due to pvp.. and they didn't do what they should have.. even if you want to say they should have seen it in beta testing...

By the time Trammel came... to many pve people had left.. and to many pvp people due to the murder system.

Which had a lot to do.. with the "missing" feeling when they did the split.  My guild had over 200 people in it.. and as more and more of them got into EQ1 beta.. I never saw them again.  In the end out of over 200 people.. 3 stayed in UO.

My personal experience was.. every person in my guild that left.. specificly stated..  "In EQ I won't be forced into pvp".

Now obviously I pvp'd and it could be fun... but obviously.. many didn't agree.  I don't want to debate pvp... pro/con.

Its just something that should have been firgured out before it went live or at least before they had lost that many people.

Sorry for the text spam.

/peace

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Old UO had a lot of grief playing I will admit.  However, that made it a lot of fun.  It was a game made to be taken serious.  Going to a dungeon was extremely scary because of the risk, as it should be! I loved it like that.  You definatly had to stay within your comfort zones.  With games like WoW you just cna go anywhere you want because there is no risk in dying, just run back to your body.  C'mon that's lame....

Get back to the days when people are scared to go to dungeons !

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

The immersion factor went from 100 to about -200,000,000,000 when Trammel was released. EA couldn't take all the whining and scrambled to please the whiners with the world split. Probably one of the biggest mistakes in MMORPG history ever. They should have just worked on balancing the game instead of making everyone happy. They should totally rename the game and everything in it (towns, reagents, mobs, etc.) It lost its Ultima soul years ago....

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!