Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ever played a game

TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

(beta or otherwise) and knew within the first 10 minutes that this game would flop or be a failure?

Case in point when I first logged into Face of Mankind I knew it would flop, the interface and overall gameplay were horrid. When I logged into Shadowlands I knew it would flop as well, those graphics were horribly outdated. Sorry I was expecting updated graphics not 1990's graphics. And recently (past 2 months) I joined a few betas for some upcomming games  (that will remain nameless untill they lift the NDA) and all I can say is yuck... Looks like another 6 or 7 months or more before anything worthwhile comes out agian (I hope)..

So back to my original question, have you ever played a MMORPG (beta or otherwise) and knew within the first 10 minutes that this game would flop? And if so what were some of the negatives?

I really wish MMORPG's were open books like WOW was during beta that way I could tell you all about these horrible MMO's that I tested. But Blizzard knew they had a good game in WOW (early WOW its a grindfest now), these other games have reasons to hide. Trust me.

------------------------------
You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

Comments

• ArdusArdus Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Tinybina

(beta or otherwise) and new within the first 10 minutes that this game would flop or be a failure?

Case in point when I first logged into Face of Mankind I knew it would flop, the interface and overall gameplay were horrid. When I logged into Shadowlands I knew it would flop as well, those graphics were horribly outdated. Sorry I was expecting updated graphics not 1990's graphics.

And recently (past 2 months) I joined a few betas for some upcomming games  (that will remain nameless untill they lift the NDA) and all I can say is yuck... Looks like another 6 or 7 months or more before anything worthwhile comes out agian (I hope)..

So back to my original question, have you ever played a MMORPG (beta or otherwise) and knew within the first 10 minutes that this game would flop? And if so what were some of the negatives?

I really wish MMORPG's were open books like WOW was during beta that way I could tell you all about these horrible MMO's that I tested. But Blizzard knew they had a good game in WOW (early WOW its a grindfest now), these games have reasons to hide. Trust me.

RF Online. The graphics where good, but gameplay wise it was pretty much a worse version of silkroad. i have played so many f2p mmos that are much much better than RF

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

To OP, I knew Face of Mankind would fail when released, but I have to say that I played during its peak beta period, (pre-alien) and at that time the game was awesome and groundbreaking in every aspect, probably the best example of sandbox gaming ever produced - but not something the public was ready for and also it has changed drastically since then sadly.

• EstrusEstrus Member Posts: 357

I got into a focus test beta of DDO.  Based on my experience with the game, the feedback from the others there, and the devs that were present, I KNEW the game was complety going to be a failure as they were presenting it. Nothing changed.

We were telling them the game's weaknesses both as a mmo and as related to pen and paper d&d and they were absolutely clueless as to what we were saying.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

Within the first ten minutes I thought Ryzom was the worst game I'd ever played. But, as it turns out it does have its fans and I was probably excessively judgmental about the game. As a general rule though I think everyone looks for some kind of hook in a game within a short-time to want to continue playing the game.

• Aquakitty2Aquakitty2 Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by nomadian

Within the first ten minutes I thought Ryzom was the worst game I'd ever played. But, as it turns out it does have its fans and I was probably excessively judgmental about the game. As a general rule though I think everyone looks for some kind of hook in a game within a short-time to want to continue playing the game.

Yea, me too was in Ryzom beta and thought wtf is with these ugly avatars. I also hated the combat.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by Estrus

I got into a focus test beta of DDO.  Based on my experience with the game, the feedback from the others there, and the devs that were present, I KNEW the game was complety going to be a failure as they were presenting it. Nothing changed.
    We were telling them the game's weaknesses both as a mmo and as related to pen and paper d&d and they were absolutely clueless as to what we were saying.

Sounds like some of the beta testers in a game that I played recently....Lots of testers on this games forums are trying to tell the Developers what is wrong and why this game will fail (so to speak) and they just will not listen or will ignore what is being said..

I think to many developers get caught up in what they think is fun and is a good game, when it's the consumers that they need to appease.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith