Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMO of all times

13»

Comments

• moostownmoostown Member CommonPosts: 377
    Originally posted by Fade

Originally posted by observer

Most disastrous? Vanguard or SWG?

neither when compared to dark and light.

Not at all because DnL was never going to be good and never really had hype apart from this Site. SWG however has the Star Wars name and the CU and NGE was such a big disaster + the games launch.

• AmazingGamingAmazingGaming Member CommonPosts: 9
    Lineage 2 Classic is the best  :)
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    EQ1 set the standard that all 3rd person MMO's today follow. So it's the Forefather of MMO's.

As for the MMO that had the best of everything? That's a hard one, because all too often you will find an MMO that had a lot of good traits and some bad ones, often there will always bee trade off with any MMO you chose.

So, I can't say there is a "best of everything"

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Cabe2323 said:

Asheron's Call 1 or Dark Age of Camelot. 

This.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    A 12 year necro... just when you think you'd seen everything.

Scot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Mendel said:
    A 12 year necro... just when you think you'd seen everything.

Good catch.. maybe people ought to not use the search option and just make new threads.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    WILDSTAR!

Just kidding, IMO the best MMORPG of all time was City of Heroes.  A game that was good, but with a lot of problems that grew into something great once some competent hands were at the wheel.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Has the list changed much in 12 years? :)
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited February 2019
    I loved UO for obvious reasons. . ground breaking and free world.
    I didn't really Like EQ during beta

For me it was DAoC. . even with out the PvP . I did very little.  There was an interesting sense of community.   For some reason I found the PvE grind interesting, loved the world and played a bard (minstrel?) and really enjoyed that.  It seemed to have a mature community.  I "miss" that one more than UO when you think if getting a feeling back.

The best one is yet to come. . it will be the one I play for more than 4-6 months straight :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    OP you might as well ask which movie are best of all time or which food are best of all time or witch music are best of all time, It's all come down to personal opinion and taste.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    To quote a line from a favorite movie. 

"Nothing"...

"Everything"

;)

Octagon7711[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Kyleran said:

"Nothing"...

"Everything"

;)

Kingdom Of Heaven ? One of my favorite movies too, the director's cut of course !
    Absolutely.  I keep for getting about it. . have to watch it again.. 
    and correct on the Necro. . and I disagree with the list. . . leads to some ad for neverwinter as well likely :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited February 2019
    Kyleran said:

"Nothing"...

"Everything"

;)

Kingdom Of Heaven ? One of my favorite movies too, the director's cut of course !
    Hmm, I've been watching whatever version they are playing on cable TV. 

I'll seek out the Director's cut if I have been missing out.

Sometimes when flipping thru cable for a background movie to play while gaming,  I  watch just the ending, like the sinking of the Titanic, the Battle of Helms Deep, or in this case, the final seige of Jerusalem. 

Probably cause all of them are reminiscent of how my gaming experience is going, especially if doing PVP.

(I'm never the guy who survives until the end.)

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168
    Wow this was one hell of a necro.
    Mendel
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Maurgrim said:
    OP you might as well ask which movie are best of all time or which food are best of all time or witch music are best of all time, It's all come down to personal opinion and taste.
    You mean after Casablanca, Beef Wellington, and Mozart?  :)   It's all subjective.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

"Nothing"...

"Everything"

;)

<snip>
    If its not the "Director's Cut" you have been missing out. The film was shortened for its original cinema release at the request of Fox. The director's cut isn't just a few extra scenes its 45 - FORTY FIVE! - minutes longer. This version was launched to wide acclaim. And deservedly so imo.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

"Nothing"...

"Everything"

;)

<snip>
    If its not the "Director's Cut" you have been missing out. The film was shortened for its original cinema release at the request of Fox. The director's cut isn't just a few extra scenes its 45 - FORTY FIVE! - minutes longer. This version was launched to wide acclaim. And deservedly so imo.
    To me there's only ONE version of this movie - the director's cut. And it's one of Ridley's best movies ever (better than Gladiator to me).
    One of his best for sure and yes, imo, better than Gladiator. I do have a soft spot for Blade Runner though (and Solomon Kane, not directed by RS but shades of Warhammer).
  • GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Holy necro batman

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     It was UO then and it still UO :)
    Kyleran
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Life is the best MMO. 

It's all on one server. It never goes down. Everyone plays a role. It is hardcore, you only get 1 life. It has housing. Combat. You can get married and have kids. You can tame pets. You have numerous mounts. You can drive cars. Shoot bows. Shoot guns. 

Too bad, there's no magic. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    I think we all have times in our lives where we were at our best stage to really enjoy whatever was the good mmo at that time. That probably has the biggest bearing on which one we consider the best.

For me, it was Vanilla WoW.

Mend and Defend

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

Too bad, there's no magic. 
    Are you sure ? Who is that David Copperfield guy then ? That bastard even married Claudia Schiffer !

Another potential finance who was snatched from our fingers. :)
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Every game has its followers and detractors. They may have changed some in the 12 years since this post ....

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests