Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMO of all times

Comments

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Everquest.

Ungood

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• belgariadebelgariade Member UncommonPosts: 90

Well some like Mc Donald and some like Burger king.......

For my taste , i have to go with Daoc because it's the game i have  good memory with it.... first siege , raid , dragon fight , RvR , guild , alliance and the first enemy i had while playing game ( ALB and Hib ) .

In hope i will have those feeling again with mmo !!!

Belgariade ! From Midguard !!!

• ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481

Originally posted by Mcwallen

I'm curious to know, what is considered the best MMO game of all time, which game has the best everything?

Well if people are honest they'll admit  no one title has the best of everything. That being said you can't go wrong with the fab4 UO, EQI, AC & DAOC.

If you read about a title having elements of even two of those four it's usually worth a trial period.

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

Kind of a dumb question to ask because everyone's favorite is going to be different for different reasons.

• Dippy11Dippy11 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

1. Final Fantasy XI gets my vote. Funny most people overlook this MMO which has a nice fan base, competitive game. Yeah it does have alot of grind in it but it is truely a challenging game and it is alot of fun and also has a great community of people.
    2. EQ - Mother of all MMO's. Been around for ages and people still like it.
    3. WOW - You gotta put this guy in there but I cringe everytime someone mentions it. The company who makes this just is blah, no originality whatsoever but overall the game is simple, people like it and even a caveman can do it :P

I agree with this guy.  The job system, forced grouping, and a great community made FFXI the most enjoyable MMO experience I've ever had. 

• SykomykeSykomyke Member Posts: 116

The most beutiful MMO for me and by far the most enjoyable leveling up has been Lord of the Rings Online...

An MMO that has everything? Haven't found it yet...

~~Internet gaming is not for the faint of heart or the dumb of mind.~~

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

Anarchy Online - Original, indepth, massive amounts of content, raid mobs for all lvls, fun from the start.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498

I'm curious to know, what is considered the best MMO game of all time, which game has the best everything?

Has to be WoW - while not my thing it is easily (by any reasonable definition) the most succesful video game of all time so easily should be at the top of any best MMO list.

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• JackBauer24JackBauer24 Member Posts: 283

SWG!!!! PRE CU was AWSOME  

CU was "good" 

after that=

• GarrothGarroth Member UncommonPosts: 6

I didn’t have the chance to play UO until well after its prime.  By the time I played it, it wasn’t the best MMO out there, although it may have been in its original pre-Trammel form.

Of the games I’ve played, DAOC had the best pvp.  I liked the RvR on the normal servers, and the unlimited pvp on Andred.

AO was certainly the most original and complex game I’ve ever played (although I absolutely hated the level grind in that game).  I still play it on a Froob (free) account.

I also liked SWG in its original form, even with the lag, bugs and class imbalances.  There was tremendous freedom to play the game anyway you wanted to Pre-CU.  So you want to be an Droid Engineer/Bounty Hunter or a Entertainer/Rifleman?  Go ahead, either could be a viable character if played with skill.  Then came the CU and NGE, and only an idiot would make either of those characters, because they were now useless in combat regardless of how skilled the player was.

• HocheteHochete Member CommonPosts: 1,210

The best MMO of all time was UO. That's not even an opinion, it's just fact. Closely follow by EQ1 of course. Anything else is pretty much pants.

Ungood
  • ab29xab29x Member Posts: 364

Meridian 59.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

In general, I consider Everquest and Ultima Online to be vastly overrated. While they both did represent the emergence of the genre, it is little more then rosy tinge of nostalgic hindsight that makes them even close to relevant these days. The bottom line is that if I had to choose between Everquest, Ultima, or Asheron's Call and something more modern like Eve Online, City of Heroes, or World of Warcraft, I'd take any of the modern games... Hands down, no contest. The oldies aren't even in the running for the best of anything. Innovative or not, they still suffered from every single overused paradigm that plagues the genre today (mostly because they created them), except they also have the added "appeal" of primitive, outdated, and convoluted game play and graphical mechanics.
    You are correct in a way. In every genre each next generation solves some of the problems of the last and the more modern mmorpgs have seeked to improve some of the flaws of the past. At the same time however there are many appeals in EQ and UO that haven't been replicated in the more modern mmorpgs- this is why you see over and over again people pining for that.

• flakesflakes Member Posts: 575

Out of all i tried definatly DAOC.Mostly because back then people where just glad to be able to play mmorpgs and be able to fight each other online in an online persistant world with occasional huge battles.Something i really miss these days....people forgot the fun part after WoW.....

As to wich game has it all then i'd say it's between eve online and DAOC.I'd then choose eve online since it's the most player driven game i've played.

• ndpunchndpunch Member Posts: 208

UO, it's the little things that still make it stand out from the growd, like the fact that you can poison food and then give it to some poor sod It simply offers more freedom than all these Evercrap clones.

The fact that there's literarly hundreds of unofficial servers, made by gamers, says something about UO too.

• ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481

Originally posted by nomadian

In general, I consider Everquest and Ultima Online to be vastly overrated. While they both did represent the emergence of the genre, it is little more then rosy tinge of nostalgic hindsight that makes them even close to relevant these days. The bottom line is that if I had to choose between Everquest, Ultima, or Asheron's Call and something more modern like Eve Online, City of Heroes, or World of Warcraft, I'd take any of the modern games... Hands down, no contest. The oldies aren't even in the running for the best of anything. Innovative or not, they still suffered from every single overused paradigm that plagues the genre today (mostly because they created them), except they also have the added "appeal" of primitive, outdated, and convoluted game play and graphical mechanics.
    You are correct in a way. In every genre each next generation solves some of the problems of the last and the more modern mmorpgs have seeked to improve some of the flaws of the past. At the same time however there are many appeals in EQ and UO that haven't been replicated in the more modern mmorpgs- this is why you see over and over again people pining for that.

Exactly...sometimes you can streamline too much.

People act as if UO, EQI, AC & DAOC were broken. Sure modern titles have eliminated many of the timesinks inherant to those old titles. However somewhere along the way they eliminated the soul (community, challenge, strategy) as well.

While not exactly scientific many of you understand where i'm comming from.

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by AgtSmith

Has to be WoW - while not my thing it is easily (by any reasonable definition) the most succesful video game of all time so easily should be at the top of any best MMO list.

Most successful does not equal best.    That can easily be seen by numerous boards where fans vote for the best and it doesn't rank at the top. 

A good comparison would be comparing to Movies.  How many of the most successful movies are also considered the best movies of all time?  Usually the best movie of all time is either Godfather, Godfather 2, Shawshank Redemption, Citizen Kane, or Casablanca.  

While the top commerically successful movies are Titantic, Star Wars, Shrek 2, and ET. 

So there is a difference between quality and quanity.  

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

UO-EQ1-Vanguard.

Vanguard brought back that EQ1 new feel for me. Why I have no idea.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Most disastrous? Vanguard or SWG?

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

eq1

Ungood
  • SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by observer

I would say SWG. They can't or won't fix SWG. But there is a glimer of hope for Vanguard.

• LilianeLiliane Member Posts: 591

Ultima Online, because after 10 years, it's still better than many todays mmorpgs.

MMORPG.COM has worst forum editor ever exists

• Diesel471Diesel471 Member CommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Picklefoot

Originally posted by Toxic_Ninja

The perfect mmo would have no grinding in my opinion. If you can name a single mmo that doesn't have you grind kills to level or grind for resources to get money I'll give you my first born child.

Second life. Now get me my child.

I LOL'ed

• FadeFade Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by observer

neither when compared to dark and light.

proud member of BKB http://www.bkbhq.com/