Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do YOU think... Aion or TCoS?

2»

Comments

• NiirnaethNiirnaeth Member Posts: 99

Skyless, I agree I seemed confrontational. It is just annoying to see the same outlook towards the game simply because it looks "asian". Terrant just makes my point all the more concrete. He is worried it is a grind simply because it is an asian designed game even though his worries are groundless when you look into information released by the dev's stating otherwise.

For the record it is not that they are going to make the grinding somewhere in between WoW and Lineage like you believe. Their goal is to make it not have just one way to level, but multiple, quest based on a level of western mmo's, grinding similar to Lineage, and possibly more. My point is this, yes the game is developed by NCsoft Korea, but that doesn't make it a default grind. From everything that has been released they have stated they are trying to make it appeal to both western and asian gamers in almost all aspects. Even the character customization has both Asian or Western features or a combination of both. Anyway in the end whether you play it or not is up to you and I won't make or lose money either way.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Niirnaeth, we have Wow and Lineage2 grinding since 2+ years. Even if Aion is closer to WoW: it is plain boring now. So if the PvE-gameplay is boring, the PvP has to rock. In the e3 ´06 trailer even this looks dull.
    *animation* Warrior hits for 2000 pts of damage, *animation* Archer hits 5 x 200 pts of damage...jumping around, running.

So it all ends up in flying and graphics...woohoo.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by Niirnaeth

Skyless, I agree I seemed confrontational. It is just annoying to see the same outlook towards the game simply because it looks "asian". Terrant just makes my point all the more concrete. He is worried it is a grind simply because it is an asian designed game even though his worries are groundless when you look into information released by the dev's stating otherwise.

The problem I have with that is it's been said before. Last Chaos promised to be revolutionary and different; it's not. Same with SilkRoad, same with Archlord, same with 2Moons. Every one of these games turned into the same thing: Lack of visual character customization (often only one char model, one gender eacah class). Lack of depth to quests, or lack of emphasis on quests, to where mindless killing of mobs over and over is the only viable levelling method.

Until I can actually beta it and SEE that this game is different, I won't believe any hype. I've been fed too many false promises.

• NiirnaethNiirnaeth Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by Herodes

Niirnaeth, we have Wow and Lineage2 grinding since 2+ years. Even if Aion is closer to WoW: it is plain boring now. So if the PvE-gameplay is boring, the PvP has to rock. In the e3 ´06 trailer even this looks dull.

*animation* Warrior hits for 2000 pts of damage, *animation* Archer hits 5 x 200 pts of damage...jumping around, running.
    So it all ends up in flying and graphics...woohoo.

I never said it was closer to WoW, I said there from information given it seems as if they are trying to implement more then one way of grinding, one similar to WoW as an example. I agree that all the current game's grinding systems are getting old but I believe that they still have the opportunity to make the PvE grind interesting still. How well the storyline and the PvE fights are put together can always keep things interesting but of course whether it gets done is a different story.

Originally posted by terrant

The problem I have with that is it's been said before. Last Chaos promised to be revolutionary and different; it's not. Same with SilkRoad, same with Archlord, same with 2Moons. Every one of these games turned into the same thing: Lack of visual character customization (often only one char model, one gender eacah class). Lack of depth to quests, or lack of emphasis on quests, to where mindless killing of mobs over and over is the only viable levelling method.

Until I can actually beta it and SEE that this game is different, I won't believe any hype. I've been fed too many false promises.

Nobody is asking you to believe hype, just not voice the assumption that it is just another Lineage. We all are waiting to see and try it before we make a final decision. Honestly if the game sucks, it sucks and we don't play it but you lose nothing for going in with an open mind.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

I'm so sorry if this is going to sound mean, but believing that any of those games you mentioned would have been a 'revolution' is a bit naive. I think NCsoft has published enough successful casual games to get the picture that western gamers want an alternative to Lineage style grinds. They already have Lineage 3 planned, why would they waste their time making the very same type of thing? Aion is meant to be their flagship for the more casual gamer. Believe it or not, I guess we'll all see at OP.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

If you think that every MMO developer is lying, then there is no reason for you to ever look forward to any game. Sometimes a game will live up to its hype, sometimes it won't, it just happens.

But if you think that NCsoft would develop a hardcore MMO that directly competes with 2 (yes 2, Lineage 1 is still running strong) of its own games, then that is just unreasonable.