Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest 2 to be on 10 CD's?

2»

Comments

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

If Everquest II ships with 10 Cds or whatever, it'll be fine with me.  It is only once that you'll have to install (unless you have to re-format your HD).  I am not troubled by the amount of CDs at all.  Hopefully it means it'll have a huge amount of content, but actually I have a feeling all the Cds are because of all the voice-over and NPC dialogue in the game. 

This is one topic that I am not going to fuss over, I am more worried about how good the game will be.  I am really hoping it'll be as great as it looks right now.

• LordDaemonLordDaemon Member Posts: 68

I agree i really will not mind the 10 cd's because it would take a little bit of time yes but i bet it would all be well worth it..... i'm so excited

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926
    Hehe, with all the higher end computer requirements they have for EQ2, I can't believe they don't just take that final step and put it on DVDs. But unless they ship it on floppies, I plan on playing. image

image image

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767

Welll, think about it, it would be stupid in my opinion to release it on 10+ CD's and not 2 DVD's, because the specs required to run this game are very demanding, so chances are that most of the people playing this game are going to have a DVD readable CD-Drive, so you are better off just doing it into 2 DVD's.

And anyway, 10 CD's, wow, 10 GB+ of hard drive space, man, I only have like 25 left on my HD, I might have to start doing cleanups to get more space :P.

New PR rep for the North American Version of RYL
    www.planetwidegames.com

• SkrmettiSkrmetti Member Posts: 8

I guess this is what happens when you have all the NPCs talking.

WootHog: the social network site for MMO gamers

WootHog: the social network site for MMO gamers

• BronenekBronenek Member Posts: 240
    10 DISKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! I have never seen a game in my life, and yes, I have literally a libary of games, multiplaying and single player and yet none of them are this size. I must certainly look into everquest!

• cmchristcmchrist Member Posts: 19

If there was something special on the DVD version, I might just have to give my CDRW drive the boot.

/me acting like I won't upgrade the entire computer to make this more enjoyable.

• OminisOminis Member Posts: 1,015
    I'm just glad I bought a DVD drive along time along time ago when I built mine. For awhile it seemed like a waste of money (why not just use the TV?), but when UT2004 came out with the special edition DVD (awesome extra stuff, plus I didn't have to worry about all the CDs), it looked like I made up for it. Now with EQII looking to come out on DVD too (it had better...), looks like my purchase is finally justified.

Testing Currently:
    Alpha: Guild Wars
    Beta: Saga of Ryzom + Risk Your Life
    Playing: City of Heroes
    Interested: WOW & EQII (yeah, both... deal with it)

Currently:
    Playing: WOW & GW

• katkallkatkall Member UncommonPosts: 39
    With the price of a DVD reader so low I dont see this as a huge problem, thank god i didnt pay $200 plus back when they first came out now they are dirt cheap and it looks like they will be of some use.. yeah

• danchueedanchuee Member Posts: 2

10 cd's is alot of information. Mainly I can see most of it on sound and voices. The engine and graphics may take up only 4 or 5 of the cd's.

Remember that Sony is going to make this game so that today's average gamer can play the game. That would require dropping computer specs down abit. Including shipping it on both cd's and dvd's. Cd's are really cheap nowadays so using cd's might even be cost efective for Sony. While alot of households have dvds many still do not. Luckily I do. image 

Seriously. How many of you were young enough to have to install a game that came on 10 floppies. Those things were slooooowwwww.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437
    Why cant they just release the damn game on DVD like UT2004 and Farcry have done? Ive yet to see any gaming/multimedia PC sold that didnt come with a dvd drive for god knows how many years now.
  • BronenekBronenek Member Posts: 240
    Im sure they will do both a CD version and a DVD version like a lot of games are doing now, such as UT2004 and FarCry. Not everyone will have a DVD drive but the people that do will have the benefit of using less disks.

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Alot of the space is going towards the 130 hours of voice dialogue, all the scripted npc's, the music tracks in the game, and the many, many zones.

I think it's great that it will be 10GB, that just means the games going to offer alot image.

NVidia - The way it is meant to be played

ATI - The way it really plays, if it's working....

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

10 CD is only about 6GB, atm the EQ1 folder is over 3GB, and EQ2 is quite graphic and sound intense. Two DVD ($1 each) would be about 9GB, the blue laser (Sony) DVD from next year should be 25GB (but near $30 each.)

• SeravajanSeravajan Member UncommonPosts: 192

Quite curious that they don't use a Dual layer DVD, then we need only 1 DVD.

Graphics can be compressed quite well without losing any information. (aka lossless compressing)
    Except if the 10 GB is already filled with compressed graphics like GIF, JPG and so on.

Betatested:
    AC2; Lords of Everquest; Horizons; Fung Wan Online; Wish; Saga of Ryzom.

Played:
    EQ (retired); DAoC (retired); Horizons (semi retired); SWG (retired); Shadowbane (Retired); UO free shards (retired)

Attempt to test or play:
    Darkfall; EQ2; Dark & Light.

• |MaguS||MaguS| Member Posts: 317

Originally posted by bhug

10 CD is only about 6GB, atm the EQ1 folder is over 3GB, and EQ2 is quite graphic and sound intense. Two DVD ($1 each) would be about 9GB, the blue laser (Sony) DVD from next year should be 25GB (but near $30 each.)

It's Blue-Ray, not Blue Laser....

• kptonekptone Member Posts: 137

I really dont care if its 20 cds aslong as i can play the game im satisfied.

I think it will be 2 dvds since takes little space on DVD cd.