Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest 2 to be on 10 CD's?

OMG I will die!!! I read from PC Gamer (us) that they are also considering a two disk DVD option.. I REALLY hope they go for that.

I thought FF XI was bad with what 5 or 6 disks...errrr but 10 omg.

Comments

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

The more the disks the more the.... Content? Looks like this game is going to be huge or something. Anyways, i don't care if it's 20 disks as long as they keep the price decent.

NVidia - The way it is meant to be played

ATI - The way it really plays

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • visionnervisionner Member Posts: 41

10 cd's hahah. the box must be huge for the game. Wouldnt it be a problem though if it was dvd? because dont u need a dvd drive to read it? or can cd drives read it too? I really dont wanna go out and buy a DVD drive.

• OminisOminis Member Posts: 1,015
    Yeah...image The article said that the size is something around 10 GB of hard-drive space. Good or bad depending on how you look at it... It also said Sony is thinking about a 2 DVD option which I hope they do (it worked well with UT2004)... I don't want to mess around with 10 CDs.

Testing Now:

Alpha: Guild Wars

Beta: Saga of Ryzom + Risk Your Life

Currently:
    Playing: WOW & GW

• Alex_123Alex_123 Member Posts: 27
    Wow... Im hoping 2 dvds... Im not swapping cd's...

-------------
    http://www.mysticwars.com/play.asp?ID=658

Great game!
    -------------

http://rpgfeed.blogspot.com/ - If you like RPG's, you will like that blog.

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106
    And I thought BG:II, SW:KoTOR and NwN was bad for having 4 cd's!

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• YordoYordo Member Posts: 831
    WOW...that is pushing the limit on number of CD's....it's just ridiculous.  Even though I don't like the idea of having to put that many into my cd drive to install the game, I think they should use the 10 CD's over using 2 DVD's.  I have a DVD drive...but I know that a lot of people still don't, and they would be very upset if they had to go out and buy one just to play EQ2.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Well...

Sony can be accused of many things, but I am pretty certain that if you only install a shorter version with the original CD keys and all the info to prove you buy the game, you will be able to download the whole game without even needing to clicking it or even realizing it, user friendly! 

Hey, they always make sure the game can install itself alone after I click Yes, d:blablabla and can play without doing much more!  Installing the whole game will be much better and faster then downloading everything althought! Especially that there would prolly have be 20 patchs since the CDs where released and they will auto-patch before you can play...I really doubt the game will be on more then 5 CDs, you will just have a long time to download if you install the CDs...

Niak niak niak...

But...the must raid attitude is what will make me go play a Sims Pink edition, Civ4, Rome Total War or Baldur Gates 3 should BI rise again from their ashes! :)

- "Coercing? No no, I assure you, they are willing to bring my bags and pay public transportation just to help me, it is true!''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• flabairflabair Member Posts: 188

2 dvd's or 10 cd's i dont really care long as the game is out ::::06::. only have to do it once and cd's download easy, if it was from the web site then would take forever.

• AndhorAndhor Member Posts: 1
    hehe, i really would like to download this baby image 

http://www.onlinewelten.com

• LordDaemonLordDaemon Member Posts: 68
    i'm scared either i'm going to have to get a new hard drive to play this game or i'm going to have to get a new hard drive and a dvd rom, damnit....

• _belial_belial Member Posts: 158

i'd be surprised if they just released a 10 CD and not a DVD edition as well to be honest, look at UT, 6 CD's or a single DVD i'm sure a majority of PC users have DVD drives now anyway, wasn't FarCry a DVD only release and that sold pretty well afaik.

But given the option I aint swapping 10's, much rather just throw a DVD or two in there :)

// Carl

Currently Playing : anything to keep me occupied until EQ2 comes out :)

// Carl

Currently Playing : EQ2 of course

• JustinianJustinian Member Posts: 41
    i'd say 2 to 4 of the CDs are just for the voice acting they are going to have, one of the drawbacks of including it.

• XionorXionor Member Posts: 36

10 CDs doesn't always mean more content.

1) They say the game has "cinematic" quality. This means that there are more polygons for the Characters, Monsters, Buildings and EVERYTHING! The higher the detail and the polygon count , the more data to store.  They also use very high-resolution textures , meaning that they also take up more space.

2)The Number of CDs also depends on the way they store the game data.That's one of the reasons Blizzard changed WoW's file structure and the way they store tha data - So they can increase productivity and decrease hard-drive space needed.

3) If the music and sound  is also in a high-quality non-lossy format , this means that it also takes up more space.

But it could really also mean more content. I guess soon we'll know :)                                                                                                                      

• |MaguS||MaguS| Member Posts: 317
    People who wish to download the client... do you really wana download a 10GB File? I know I don't... I would be able to play on Day 1 with the CD's atleast... With the download I would have to wait acouple days, lol.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

I can tell you where the CDs come into play..."over 130 hours of digitized speech".  Think about that.  The average album on MP3 is about 60-80MB for about 50 minutes of audio.  So that is 7800 minutes of audio at about 1.4MB per minute.  My math says that alone is 10GB.  Now granted, they will likely use a lower sampling rate and compress it to all hell on the install CDs, but this would still lead to about 3-4GB (or 6 CDs) worth of data.

My guess is when it comes time to offer free downloadable trial versions (like all MMO's eventually do) they will come "voiceless" unless you order the CDs. image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• |MaguS||MaguS| Member Posts: 317

Im guessing they will be using ATRAC compression which offers AWSOME compression to quality ratio. Its currently in use in all the Sony MD players, so I don't see why SOE wouldn't use thier own technology.

http://www.sony.net/Products/ATRAC3/overview/index.html

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

Yea i read that in PCGamer also about a week ago...

they said that they "would consider a dvd option"

basically there will be a dvd option...and even if there isn't, hey, I would install 500000 cd's if it would let me play EQIIimage

• BobiinBobiin Member Posts: 198
    10 cds aint a huge deal. If it lets me play the game i aint gonna be lazy and refuse to switch CDs, cause it wont take THAT long, FFX11 with 6 CDs took 30 mins on my comp.

--Nyture, Arc Convoker of fironia vie server (EQ) --Retired--

-Newbie monk - Nyture on FF11

--Nyture, Arc Convoker of fironia vie server (EQ) --Retired--
    -- Nytur 39 Conjuror of Lucan D'lere (Quit due to low populations)
    -- Currently playing WoW while waiting for vanguard
    Explorer 66%
    Socializer 60%
    Killer 53%
    Achiever 20%

PLEASE SOE MAKE A CLASSIC EQ SERVER. Shadow of luclin was a prick in EQs side. PoP Was a gun to the face.

• RazageRazage Member Posts: 53

How on earth can they use up 10 CD's! How many different kinds of orcs can you put into a game! hehehe.

Seriously though, I don't see how this game can be 10 CD's. Especially if they shard their servers then it's too big and you'll go for weeks without seeing anyone.

Originally posted by Gunblade
    You don't know a lot about how games work or how they are made...and why engines and graphics are important do you?
    Think about it this way...how many CD's is EQ? hmm? with all those expansions...and updates?
    there nice and simple explanation

No, of course not. I don't know nothing about 3D Animation, Bounding Boxes, Physics engines, Server clusters, C++ code or anything.

Let me rephrase my point:

"How on earth can they use up 10 CD's! How many different kinds of orcs can you put into a game! hehehe."  - What I'm saying in this portion of the paragraph is that there are plenty of games that don't use up 10 CD's and have very immersive worlds. 10GB is A LOT of information and if the client is that big then the actual EQ2 world must be 2 - 3 times bigger then say Camelot with all of it's expansions. Generally what's stored on the client machine is maps, textures, and a portion of the engine that interacts with the server side protion. The engine itself probably takes up 10% of that space (I think I'm being very liberal at that, however I've never coded an MMORPG. However I have done various other programming and generally the main program takes up very little.) The other 90% of the space is taken up by resource files (Maps, textures, etc...) so therefore it can be inferred that if Dark Age of Camelot uses 5 CD's for all of it's expansions (Classic DaoC, Shrouded Isles, and Trials of Atlantis.) Then it can be safe to say that the EQ2 world will be twice the size of the DaoC + Expansions world.

Personally I think that's way to much space and I'm curious as to how they're going to fill it all. Also how will players interact with each other if there's so much space between them? I just hope they have good content to fill that space with, or they have subscribers that don't really feel content isn't important. Then again It's a foolproof game reguardless because with all the hype EQ2's recieved there's no way anyone could be dissapointed with it because...... "It's EQ!" So maybe all these words just illistrate a moot point. In which case, sorry to have wasted your time.

P.S: I just didn't feel like typing all this for my first reply but from now on I'll go on ahead and type multi paragraph posts so I don't get told what I do and don't know.

• RaiblastRaiblast Member Posts: 49
    wow...10 cds huh? that's kinda ridiculus. but does that also include beta test? are they gonna send out 10 cds to those of us who get accepted into the EQ2 beta test? that'd be crazy. and 10 gigs?! i'm gonna have to clear some space!!! i guess the person was right when they said it was designed for top of the line computers...jeez...gameplay better be worth it.

it's...scary. very, very, very, scary...the world we live in...that's why i love the virtual world.

"I mean oh well if it is, it is...they made EQ II the way they made it and it requires 10 cds. I highly doubt no one is going to buy it because of that. "

Thing is when it was on floppies games seemed like they had a lot more content. Then again probably just because content was all those old games had to go off of.

Now with graphics and 3D rendering and such, content gets clouded and spaced out more. I hope that EQ II Dosn't space out it's content with barren landscape for the sake of the world being bigger. SWG has done that and it's kind of dissapointing when there's a half hour of barren landscape between cities and content.

I'd never forsake a game because of memory space. I just hope they do the right things with that memory space =)

• I just hope that they do something about the repetiveness of leveling and the uselessness of some classes in EQ2... never much cared for it myself.. but I will try EQ2...

• metalfoxusmetalfoxus Member Posts: 805

I really couldnt care how big EQ2 turns out to be, its still on my "To Buy" list. Though... im glad i bought that DVD drive awhile ago^^ saves me alot of disc swapping! Those people who dont have DVD drives SHOULD get them. Hell, they are only like $30 for the best ones, thats not much money. They will also be used more often for future games, they read CD's too, its not like you'll be abandoning CDs if you get one.

• flabairflabair Member Posts: 188

if you go to ebworld.com they have preorders for EQ2 out one is for EQ2 and one is for EQ2 DVD, both same price.