Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Learning curve

numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670

I'm coming from most major MMO's and recently LOTRO (maxed out there and several lvl 30 toons) and just got kinda bored with it. I had always been interested in FFXI but alot of negs put me off the time it was released. Ive been watching upcoming Warhammer and AoC but they both seem to lack anything im truely interested in and i'm not quite sure how there unique PvP and ocmbat features will add up so im waiting until others play during release or open beta to determine that.

However I was wondeirng how the learning curve is for FFXI, and coming in as a complete newbie will be? I've heard that grouping shouldn't be too difficult but with me being a complete newbie, how hard is it to to learn the game as it stands? I know alot of people can't stand grouping with someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Thanks for the input.

Comments

• Reaper_EmberReaper_Ember Member Posts: 90

Its honestly not that bad. The controls are a little different, compared to people that are used to WoW and such, but not hard to master.

The guide that comes with a copy of the game teaches the basics, and if you need further help, you can go to the PlayOnline site and watch the tutorial videos.

Gameplay is quite good. Battles are delay-based, as with most MMOs.

Game is party-based, so at about lvl 10 and on, you'll be relying on parties for EXP.

Quests are usually self-explanitory, but if you need help, feel free to hit up ffxi.somepage.com or ffxi.allakhazam.com

Equipment is diverse and good looking.

Large content updates every 2-3 months.

PvP is controlled. You can only PvP in Ballista matches (usually takes place every 30 min-1 hr) and you win gil and such from a successful match.

Plenty of content for low, mid, and high levels.

RIP: Masamunex - 75PLD/37WAR Ramuh

We will rise again from the ashes. To take over Vana'Diel.

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670

Is there any kind of trial or refer a friend type thing they have? Thought I heard something about a "buddy key" system?

• Reaper_EmberReaper_Ember Member Posts: 90

In the Vana'Diel Collection 2007, there is a buddy pass, which allows a friend to try the base content of the game, minus expansions.

Now on sale are FFXI Starter Packs which are basically the same thing.

You can then, at a later time, purchase the expansions from a store or by purchasing the key-code through the PlayOnline Viewer software

Note: Both come with a free 30 day trial period.

RIP: Masamunex - 75PLD/37WAR Ramuh

We will rise again from the ashes. To take over Vana'Diel.

• DeathPriestDeathPriest Member Posts: 61

if your on the computer, the controls can be alittle weird at first, but you get used to it.. id say maybe a 3-4 day learning curve.

Divine
    Strength and Honor
    www.divineguild.com

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by numatic

I'm coming from most major MMO's and recently LOTRO (maxed out there and several lvl 30 toons) and just got kinda bored with it. I had always been interested in FFXI but alot of negs put me off the time it was released. Ive been watching upcoming Warhammer and AoC but they both seem to lack anything im truely interested in and i'm not quite sure how there unique PvP and ocmbat features will add up so im waiting until others play during release or open beta to determine that.
    However I was wondeirng how the learning curve is for FFXI, and coming in as a complete newbie will be? I've heard that grouping shouldn't be too difficult but with me being a complete newbie, how hard is it to to learn the game as it stands? I know alot of people can't stand grouping with someone who doesn't know what they are doing.
    Thanks for the input.

Reaper did a good job of summing up the basic gameplay.

To add to that, I will say that you will not be burning through or maxing out jobs like you're accustom to in LoTRO or WoW or other games. FFXI is truly a game for people who...

A. Enjoy a longer, slower progressing game with tons of depth and lots to do, and/or

B. Are patient and don't want to burn through everything quickly, and/or

C. Do not only play an MMO to reach max level as quickly as possible but enjoy partaking in other content as well

D. Are not put off by the fact that the game is based very much around party tactics - not only in XP'ing, but in other areas as well, such as quests or missions. If you're anti-social or otherwise want to solo most of the time, you will probably not like FFXI.

C, in particular, I find is a good litmus test for how ideal FFXI is for a person. In my experience, with people I know personally and posts and reviews I read from others who've played it, those who come into the game mainly or solely concerned with how quickly they can reach level cap, and have little to no interest in anything else will not enjoy FFXI. Those who want to squeeze the playstyle they're used to in other MMOs into it will also likely not enjoy FFXI. It really requires a different approach and an open mind to really get into and enjoy. Going into it ready to make comparisons to what it does or doesn't do compared to "insert other MMO here" is doing it an injustice. Beyond the superficial aspects that all MMOs and RPGs in general share (levels, xp, etc.) FFXI is a very unique game in the genre.

The best way I can explain this game is, in my opinion, it's more an "activity" that you partake in, choosing what you want to do with your character, what content you want to experience and then work toward doing so. It's not really designed around so much of a "game" setup, where the goal is getting to the "end" of it. This is especially so because you don't have to keep re-rolling new toons in order to experience different classes (called Jobs in FFXI); you can switch between them at will on the same character. So, really, all the goals you achieve, all the rewards you earn and all the missions and quests you complete are tied to your character and persist no matter what job you're playing. It really does sorta provide a different dynamic, both in gameplay and in how you're regarded by others. You're not known as "So and So, the Warrior"... you're regarded as "So and So who happens to be working on leveling Warrior right now".

In any case, though it has its share of warts, it's a very vast, very deep and, to me and others, a very satisfying MMO. It's also not for everyone.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops