Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

...RvR = Battlegrounds.

13»

Comments

• ImpyrielImpyriel Member UncommonPosts: 711

Originally posted by Raztor

Secondly, how will RvR differ from say, Alterac Valley in WoW? Just curious as this will be my pvp game along WoW :)

http://www.camelotherald.com/section.php?id=22   This is RvR, nothing like Alterac Valley. Just wanted to point that out.

• loopfusionloopfusion Member Posts: 7

Uhm ...  why are people so worried about scenarios, did they state anywhere that the individual rewards in scenarios would be greater too? I mean from my experience in DAoC people were more likely to do what advanced their character or was more fun than what was best for the realm. The chance of getting a good item some time in the future IF you manage to push the enemy back to their city and IF you manage to sack it -  that alone is not going to make people all crazy about participating in the scenarios.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Impyriel

Secondly, how will RvR differ from say, Alterac Valley in WoW? Just curious as this will be my pvp game along WoW :)

http://www.camelotherald.com/section.php?id=22   This is RvR, nothing like Alterac Valley. Just wanted to point that out.

Thanks for the link, lots of good info there, but is it going to be the same as in DaoC?

• ImpyrielImpyriel Member UncommonPosts: 711

Originally posted by Impyriel

Thanks for the link, lots of good info there, but is it going to be the same as in DaoC?

I wish I could see into the future .

I would imagine pvp similarities will be more in line with DAoC than WoW though.

I think EAMythic is trying to appeal to every pvper they can. As explained with their "4 paths" of RvR; Skirmish, Battlefields, Scenarios, and Campaigns (pve questing even affects this RvR path). Excluding the hardcore free-form or "open" pvpers. There is nothing in life that man can enact that will please everyone.

Noone here can really go to far beyond speculation of what the final design for the overall product in terms of PvP will be.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Originally posted by nate4449

Originally posted by Fion
    We also know that the vast majority of Victory Points are gained through the instanced scenarios. These aren't my words, they are taken from the RvR focused Podcasts. To quote ".. because of this they (scenarios) count more towards victory points then any other form of RvR.'
    I think it's reasonably safe to assume from this that each realm will have to spend a good deal of their time doing instanced scenarios if they want to win a tier. There are other things that add to your victory points, but they don't count as much. Anyone who's spent any time in an MMOG knows that people go for the fastest and easiest route first. If that fastest and easiest is instanced RvR, then you'll find people who want to win for their realm, spending the majority of their time in instanced RvR.

This is what I was trying to point out. If you want to win the "War" then you will be herded into instanced pvp lands like sheeple.

Everyone seems to be so excited about getting victory points for your faction so you can go and "Sack the racial capital"...but honestly, /snip

Even the 'sack the capitol' part is instanced now. :/ There are some things about the game that are really cool. The gameplay 'sounds' really fun, the way the devs talk about the game, they LOVE it. But, it's so focused on instances that IMHO it'll kill the feeling of 'massive' PvP. No matter how big the instances get.

• smiley123smiley123 Member UncommonPosts: 174

We also know that the vast majority of Victory Points are gained through the instanced scenarios. These aren't my words, they are taken from the RvR focused Podcasts. To quote ".. because of this they (scenarios) count more towards victory points then any other form of RvR.'
    I think it's reasonably safe to assume from this that each realm will have to spend a good deal of their time doing instanced scenarios if they want to win a tier. There are other things that add to your victory points, but they don't count as much. Anyone who's spent any time in an MMOG knows that people go for the fastest and easiest route first. If that fastest and easiest is instanced RvR, then you'll find people who want to win for their realm, spending the majority of their time in instanced RvR.

This is what I was trying to point out. If you want to win the "War" then you will be herded into instanced pvp lands like sheeple.

Everyone seems to be so excited about getting victory points for your faction so you can go and "Sack the racial capital"...but honestly, /snip

Even the 'sack the capitol' part is instanced now. :/ There are some things about the game that are really cool. The gameplay 'sounds' really fun, the way the devs talk about the game, they LOVE it. But, it's so focused on instances that IMHO it'll kill the feeling of 'massive' PvP. No matter how big the instances get.

can you give me the link to where you got the idea that "sack the capitol part is instanced now". Last time i heard them talking about city sacking was at e3 and they still said it was open to the public, just that some npc vendors would be in a safe spot.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

I think it was on the WAR site....I saw the instanced remark, and could hardly believe it.I cannot believe they would stray from the things that  worked in DAOC. But heck..they never had a clear consistent vision for DAOC...so whats new .

wow they must have made that change in like the last 7 days then, because this q&a say different ? www.warhammeralliance.com/articles/showentry.php

also i don't see anything on their main page about it being instanced.

It was in an interview I read it. Would have to go looking for it. Seems there was a post here not to long ago about it. Yea it was partially instanced. But now, the entire city sacking is instanced, and it's only part of the city that gets sacked. I think it's not mentioned in that Q&A cause nobody specifically asks 'is city sieging instanced?' If they did, I'd be interested in knowing the answer. It is beta after all, and things are subject to change.

It's stupid. But it's easy to balance and will be more likely lag free. But IMHO focusing so much on instancing is a terrible idea.

• GrumpyDwarfGrumpyDwarf Member Posts: 36

False. It has been confirmed  barely a week ago that only the city gates part is instanced.  The whole city sacking is Open PvP while a small part of the city stays safe (for newbies who need to visit merchants)

Sigh, so much misinformation it's sickening.

Originally posted by GrumpyDwarf

False. It has been confirmed  barely a week ago that only the city gates part is instanced.  The whole city sacking is Open PvP while a small part of the city stays safe (for newbies who need to visit merchants)

Ok that makes sense, it is instanced from the normal game world so it doesn't lag to bad and it's still the same instance that everyone goes to if they where in the city.

I agree a lot of misinformation comes out as of late that's why i asked for a link.

Originally posted by GrumpyDwarf

You'll note I said it's beta, things can chance. I read it in an interview. Maybe at one point they were planning on making it fully instanced. I'm glad to hear that it's not. But I still think going instancing on ANY city sieging is bad. It just makes it not count, and not matter. It's like a WoW battleground, once you leave, thats it. 15 minutes of wasted time and ground faction.

Just the fact that all this stuff resets every few days also makes it feel like it it doesn't really matter as well. But alas, thats just my opinion.

• osirissosiriss Member Posts: 136

Lol I'm just kinda laughing cause you called me a 1337 ffa pvper. I couldn't be farther from the stereotype you suggest. I just think instanced PvP is um.. not nearly as fun as open world PvP. That and I like some small form of player looting, and death penalty in PvP, and guilds/realms requiring the balls to try and hold something instead of it being taken away from me because it's not 'fair.'
    I want balance. Balance is really necessary in RvR and even harder to achieve. But balance achieved through stagnation is not my idea of fun. I'm FAR from the hardcore DAoC player you think. I just think Mythic is pulling a complete 180 here from DAoC, and while I see why they are doing it, I disagree strongly with it. Thats all.
    If  you do a bit more homework  you will find they have changed the city raids to non instanced.I am sure AOC has everything you want in a game and more.Seem to me you are gutted that AOC is just not coming up with the goods.They spouted on about there great PVP system but show nothing of it.

You come here trying to pick WAR apart because your precious AOC has nothing to offer at this moment in time.You will play WAR and probably spout on about it being a great game forgetting you were trolling it for the last 2 years.

You are like a piece of glass..we can see right through you.

• cveseliscveselis Member Posts: 97

No. I'm not saying that WAR=WoW, I know fully well that Warhammer was around WAY before blizzard made their ripoff versions. Don't throw that shit at me because I hate those clueless idiots as much as you do.
    What I am saying is that, RvR and Battlegrounds are the same....
     INSTANCED CAREBEAR PVP BUILT TO DIVERT ATTENTION FROM THE REAL FUN, WORLD PVP.

Or hey, maybe I am missing something.
    Please, be my savior, and tell me that WAR will have some NON-CONSENSUAL WORLD PVP?
    Oh well, back to waiting for Darkfall...

Sounds like you haven't read much about the game to me. You should try doing that first before making posts like these that only make you look uninformed. 

go to www.warhammeralliance.com to find some good information about the game. The game is designed to really push world RvR (you can't win the battle without doing it). 

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384

All instanced PvP = bad PvP if you ask me.

Originally posted by osiriss

If  you do a bit more homework  you will find they have changed the city raids to non instanced.I am sure AOC has everything you want in a game and more.Seem to me you are gutted that AOC is just not coming up with the goods.They spouted on about there great PVP system but show nothing of it.

You come here trying to pick WAR apart because your precious AOC has nothing to offer at this moment in time.You will play WAR and probably spout on about it being a great game forgetting you were trolling it for the last 2 years.
    You are like a piece of glass..we can see right through you.

I see that, and I am happy they are taking most of the instancing out of the city raids. Wish they would take all of it. And as to AoC having everything I want in a game. I doubt it. I am looking forward to the game, and can't wait till they show off the siege PvP later this month. But I'm not dumb enough to pin all my hopes and dreams for an MMOG on the game.

Nice little psychological profile, but your way off the mark. I have looked at all the upcoming MMOGs in depth, and while I think AoC has the most to offer me at this time. That doesn't mean I am not looking forward to the others as well. I will probably play WAR (a free trial, I'm not going to buy the game right out. It doesn't look like something I want to really invest in. But that's besides the point.) But I'm not here trying to troll and tear apart the game because AoC doesn't have anything to offer.

It's human nature to find a group of like-minded individuals and then cause trouble with those who don't feel the way you do. We call that War on a large scale. But the length to which some of you guys will go simply because someone has made a different choice then you, well it makes me laugh.