Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Current MMORPG Community

FarseenFarseen Member UncommonPosts: 344

Recently someone posted a poll regarding the best PvP MMO up to date.

Which game do you guys feel the best sense of community in? Like people are willing to talk to you, or help you out, or just be friendly in general. I'm going to have to leave out a few games because I can only incorporate 10! I've tried to incorporate some new and old ones.

I want more then a vote here. Try to explain why you feel the community in the game?

I'll start.

I am with Anarchy Online. I feel that people still gather around to talk, or show off things they've earned. I feel like people are willing to help me, and explain things, and not just shrug me off if my character is new. There have been plenty times I have sat for an hour listening to someone joyfully explain how to build a gun.....things are so complex in the game that I feel people really care about making sure everyone knows whats really going down. Plus people line up for buffs in the main cities still, kinda like Pre-CU SWG.

My 2 cents.

- Farseen

Current Game: Panzar

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Saga of ryzom.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• FarseenFarseen Member UncommonPosts: 344

Heres a continued list, for the games I left out!

- Farseen

• ohmasohmas Member Posts: 5

Been trying out this newly launched game Metin2 www.metin2.us

The game has got an amazing community. I was shocked by how global the Metin2 US community is. Not to mention the gals that are playing in that game are really HOT... check out the player's photos and see for urself. http://bbs.metin2.us:8080/

Metin2 Rocks!!!! 

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

in general the niche'ier the game the more likely two things can happen.

1337 dudes that own the game  and/ or a very good community.  

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• dorfeaterdorfeater Member Posts: 52

Nowadays...

Gonna have to go with EQ1, sure the game is only populated in 15% of it's zones, but the people that are still around are very helpful, friendly, and still love the game.

Was a very tough decision to make though, Ryzom does have a very good community also, along with a few other games on the list. But I still think EQ1 has the best community today.

That's for the present of course, if you were talking about best community ever I would have to change my vote ;)

• Darksider25Darksider25 Member Posts: 93

The poll results say it all.  CoX is the most friendly and helpful community out there.  Id totally agree with that.  

• RinicRinic Member Posts: 715

Where's final fantasy 11?

I've played almost every game you listed and FFXI has the best community by a huge amount.

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

Planetside has a really good community.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

the emptier the game, the better the community.

And lol to uhmas.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

The Vanguard community is THE BEST by far all 12 of them and its my great honor to know them all by name.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• Sovren1Sovren1 Member Posts: 312

I guess it's all in the experiences each person has in the communities. From what you should expect and what you can deal with.

From my personal perspective all of the games have pretty much the same types of communities. Of course by that I mean the same types of stereotypical MMO players are in each.

You got the Spammers, botters, role-players, PvP'ers, elitist know it alls, helpfuls, smack asstards (who are generally the problem causers in general chat), the Rambo agro everything players, the griefers,  the NOOBS who are then finally followed by the newbies.

It's a regular highschool lunchroom.

Some games have ppl (ooh, internet speak) who fit into all categories. Some have larger groups of one ie: L1 and L2 win best elitist group.

Currently I'm still playing Guildwars and have to say that it has a terrible community, but I like it.  Rawr. Why?  I guess because when it all boils down...I really respect games that allow you your freedom to type anyway you wish without fear of an account banning. Ofcourse they have their rules, but it's pretty open.  All time though I would also go with something else.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

WarHammer.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

Never played EverQuest but I've played pretty much every other MMO on the top 20 of this site. EVE is the most mature and strongest.

Everyone talks about EVE online as though its amazing, and Im sure it is. I just can't stand the real-time levelling. I like achieving my gains, and I certainly can't stand waiting for something when I usually sit down and play a few hours at a time. I like getting new things as I play....SWG was the best for that, until it got mega nerfed.

Anyway, great responses so far guys, take care.

- Farseen

• killer4hirekiller4hire Member Posts: 57

The best community experience in an MMORPG that I've seen is easily Final Fantasy XI.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

None of em listed have a community worth the hard drive space they take up.  Once a game moves out of the earliest stages of beta the communities go straight down the crapper.   The largest problem with communities in these mmo's is that everyone thinks that their opinion is more important than anyone else's and haven't learned the simplest ability: to shut the F$%K UP!

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

ryzom i belive

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

Originally posted by Farseen

Everyone talks about EVE online as though its amazing, and Im sure it is. I just can't stand the real-time levelling. I like achieving my gains, and I certainly can't stand waiting for something when I usually sit down and play a few hours at a time. I like getting new things as I play....SWG was the best for that, until it got mega nerfed.
    Anyway, great responses so far guys, take care.
    It's the only MMO I've played that made me really say "whoa, now that's massive". As far as achievement goes, one example I can give you is that in WoW, you can be the #1 guild in the world and kill bosses before everyone else and be labeled as fast killers. In EVE, if you are successful there is a lot more to gain from it. If you've played any of the Civilizations games for PC, you will know what we mean. You can be part of a powerful corporation that is evil and uses power to kill everyone and so forth. Some choose to become anti-pirates or very important business people. Either way, sorry for going off-topic.

You can tell a lot about a games community by it's forums. I'll just say that much.

Originally posted by severius

None of em listed have a community worth the hard drive space they take up.  Once a game moves out of the earliest stages of beta the communities go straight down the crapper.   The largest problem with communities in these mmo's is that everyone thinks that their opinion is more important than anyone else's and haven't learned the simplest ability: to shut the F$%K UP!
    I'm not sure you've played many games with a reply like this Severius. You see, if you had, then you'd be well aware that there is tons of community throughout almost all of these games. Look at Anarchy Online for instance, and for this I can only speak because I have played it most recently. There are tons of people sitting around some main cities just chatting. You can stop and watch people chat for hours, because thats what community does....they talk about things, and share experiences and knowledge. Anarchy Online is such a complex game that people are always open for listening, or as you claim, people do shut the F$%K UP!

But maybe thats just your problem right there, maybe you are too quiet, and never ask anything, and therefore you feel you are left in the dark, haha. I don't know your personal experiences, but I reccommend to you at least AO in hopes that you'll gain a new vision of community in MMO's.

Now, Jonny.

I have heard great things about EVE, don't get me wrong. And you are right, if you look, at everyone's post who supports EVE they do seem to be a very nice person. In my defence however, you may see the greatest change over time, and eventually say "Wow, this is crazy, I've made a huge difference" however in respect to changes while playing, I see it as very limited. If I log onto Anarchy Online, and I go mission for say 2 hours. I'll complete rougly 3-4 missions, all having their own rewards as items and cash and XP. So there's number one, I get 4 different 'prizes' for completing simple mission which are available literally any time of day. Say I level up, then I instantly get 10,000 IP points to spend on my character as I wish. If I spend them accordingly, I might sneak in getting a few new Nanos (spells) or a new weapon! These are the kind of thrills I like to see happening as I play. Don't get me wrong please, EVE seems to have its long-term benefits, but as for me I choose to witness gains as they happen, hehe.

Just very different ends of the spectrum. And I know one could argue that almost every MMO is like what I have just described, however the difference in Anarchy is that there are over 200 levels to gain, and I believe it has one of the largest virtual maps out of any MMO. Let alone the fact it might even have the most items, and is deffinitely acclaimed as one of the most unique MMO's out there, hands down.

Again though, I want to point out, these are just differences, and by no means is AO better then EVE, I just enjoy it more, and felt I needed to explain why! hehe.

- Farseen

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Asheron's Call 1 Harvestgain Server.  

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

mmorpg.com LOL.................................NOT

• Sovren1Sovren1 Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by Farseen

Originally posted by severius

Now, Jonny.

I have heard great things about EVE, don't get me wrong. And you are right, if you look, at everyone's post who supports EVE they do seem to be a very nice person. In my defence however, you may see the greatest change over time, and eventually say "Wow, this is crazy, I've made a huge difference" however in respect to changes while playing, I see it as very limited. If I log onto Anarchy Online, and I go mission for say 2 hours. I'll complete rougly 3-4 missions, all having their own rewards as items and cash and XP. So there's number one, I get 4 different 'prizes' for completing simple mission which are available literally any time of day. Say I level up, then I instantly get 10,000 IP points to spend on my character as I wish. If I spend them accordingly, I might sneak in getting a few new Nanos (spells) or a new weapon! These are the kind of thrills I like to see happening as I play. Don't get me wrong please, EVE seems to have its long-term benefits, but as for me I choose to witness gains as they happen, hehe.

Just very different ends of the spectrum. And I know one could argue that almost every MMO is like what I have just described, however the difference in Anarchy is that there are over 200 levels to gain, and I believe it has one of the largest virtual maps out of any MMO. Let alone the fact it might even have the most items, and is deffinitely acclaimed as one of the most unique MMO's out there, hands down.

Again though, I want to point out, these are just differences, and by no means is AO better then EVE, I just enjoy it more, and felt I needed to explain why! hehe.

Um, does the actual game play and what you can do in-game count towards what this thread is about?  I thought this thread was about COMMUNITIES. That to me means interaction between the people in the game.  If it doesn't then those empty towns with nothing but NPC's are great communities.  And since I feel a piece of in-game fulfillment  because of it's great rewards coupled with it's vast landscape makes it(any game) a game with a great community.  Sorry for the sarcasm, but I think it's needed sometimes.