Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks bad for Age of Conan

we had this discusion several tmes before, I know that but:

so short before launch and so less information about the game, makes it clear that funcom has nothing good to present and make their potential customerrs look forward to, at least nothing thats as good as we have already seen in the E3 videos..

and what we have seen so far was not very impressive, we seen the same old hack and slash elements like in many other games and their revolutionary new combat system did not look good as well, I really looked forward to this game and was also willing to buy a newe computer to play it, but now more and more I begin to care less for it...

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

Comments

• RivanwarderRivanwarder Member Posts: 8

Just because the new combat system doesn't appeal to YOU doesn't mean the rest of us all have to agree........

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

Yeah well the whole system spec thing is really what has me worried aside from the content factor and worrying if this game is going to end up like vanguard in that department feeling not ready for launch.

It really doesn't help that a lot of these vids of the devs showing off AOC have heavy FPS drops during fighting scenes. I saw one video where a barbarian or some class was swinging a sword doing combos, and the FPS must've been dropped to 5 or lower for about 10 seconds, and I was thinking maybe that's just this particular video where they had a bad setup. Then I see multiple other videos with noticeable heavy FPS drops down to <10.

The gameplay can be great and all (which we really are in doubt of that too because of lack of information), but if they end up alienating the majority of potential players because of system spec requirements like vanguard did, then this game will be dead before WAR comes out.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Originally posted by TheChronic

so short before launch and so less information about the game, makes it clear that funcom has nothing good to present and make their potential customerrs look forward to, at least nothing thats as good as we have already seen in the E3 videos..
    and what we have seen so far was not very impressive, we seen the same old hack and slash elements like in many other games and their revolutionary new combat system did not look good as well, I really looked forward to this game and was also willing to buy a newe computer to play it, but now more and more I begin to care less for it...
    Seriously... you want to drag this dead horse out again?

You don't know what they are doing... no one does but them. Let the game release then start making posts about the state of the game. You are just trying to incite a flame war. Good or bad the game is scheduled to come out in 12 weeks unless Funcom delays. Not a long time really to hold comment.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• Focus*BankaiFocus*Bankai Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Baseline

Yeah well the whole system spec thing is really what has me worried aside from the content factor and worrying if this game is going to end up like vanguard in that department feeling not ready for launch.
    It really doesn't help that a lot of these vids of the devs showing off AOC have heavy FPS drops during fighting scenes. I saw one video where a barbarian or some class was swinging a sword doing combos, and the FPS must've been dropped to 5 or lower for about 10 seconds, and I was thinking maybe that's just this particular video where they had a bad setup. Then I see multiple other videos with noticeable heavy FPS drops down to <10.
    The gameplay can be great and all (which we really are in doubt of that too because of lack of information), but if they end up alienating the majority of potential players because of system spec requirements like vanguard did, then this game will be dead before WAR comes out.

can we say that its not even in beta yet? of course there will be some problems with the fps

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

Originally posted by Focus*Bankai

can we say that its not even in beta yet? of course there will be some problems with the fps

The beta's been running. Just because it's not open or you didn't get an invite doesn't mean it isn't running. It's 3 months to launch and you think the game isn't in beta yet? LOL....

I'm not even talking about the beta anyways. I'm talking about the fact that all of the latest videos from this month at game shows have noticeable FPS slowdowns, and the devs are reaffirming that that this game is going to come out at the end of October. That's 3 months from now, and those videos are on the devs machines.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Just to add that in Gamespy hands-on article they do openly claim (which is quite rare in previews and hands-on) that the game is glitchy even on their high end gaming pc .... go figure

• valunvalun Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Bloody Hell,if it will be lagging ill better return to V:SoH.

Are you stupid? Do you think i'm gonna waste my life for real life?image
  • sirespersiresper Member Posts: 317

Originally posted by atziluth

You don't know what they are doing... no one does but them. Let the game release then start making posts about the state of the game. You are just trying to incite a flame war. Good or bad the game is scheduled to come out in 12 weeks unless Funcom delays. Not a long time really to hold comment.

The trouble with waiting until release to make posts about concerns people have with AoC is two fold:

1) A lot of people could be potentially dupped into buying something unfinished (has happened countless times before), and people shouldn't have to pay for something and find out they didn't get what they paid for.

2) A company could be funded to release something unfinished, further encouraging the cycle of poor quality releases that the genre is so well known for.

This is why its important to bring out concerns beforehand, and not after, a game has released. This is why it is important to make sure the playerbase knows what it is buying, and knows what it is getting... BEFOREHAND.

Anyone that disagrees with educating the playerbase on these things, whether the truth is good or bad... is trying to screw you.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Just few notes to consider:

1) Funcom isn't new company like Sigil was, it has several succesful game brands under its belt.

2)Funcom has seperate team working on AoC, aka only few of them have AO background.

3) AoC will be Eidos's debut as MMORPG publisher.

4) No AoC dev on significant seats have SOE background.

• DownMonkeyDownMonkey Member CommonPosts: 159

Originally posted by kishe

4) No AoC dev on significant seats have SOE background.

Considering the great job SOE have done optimizing the EQ2 (and taking great steps towards the same thing with Vanguard) engine I'd take that as a bad thing considering what's being said about AOC running on even high spec machines.  Of course facts a lack of understanding as to how coding works has never got in the way of the SOE hate.

As for your other points, I don't see anything there that tells me this will be an amzing game.  All this "lets wait till the game is out" stuff is half the problem, as pointed out above.

• KasimirKasimir Member Posts: 197

You know, if you dont like how Conan looks.. You dont HAVE to play it... Noone is FORCING you to buy it, if you like SOE more... I am sure Vanguard is DYING to have you stay as a subscriber. No need to troll here, they really need you back.

Anatomy of a Fanboi

This is you.

• RadiationStormRadiationStorm Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Just to add that in Gamespy hands-on article they do openly claim (which is quite rare in previews and hands-on) that the game is glitchy even on their high end gaming pc .... go figure

True, but keep in mind they also said -which is just as rare- that the game is actually fun. Between these two, which is easier to fix within a beta? Clearly technical issues can, whereas a lacking game concept can't. In other words the game's foundation is solid, it just needs some polishing just like any other game in this stage of production.

I too am a little wary. I'm wondering how well the directional combat will be implemented. Because what good is it pinpointing one's strikes if the dmg model doesn't live up to it? But I've come to the conclusion that it's best to just wait and see. No more speculation based on beta footage or the like. It'll be released soon enough and then everyone can make up their own minds. It just makes more sense than these daily troll like assumptions what aspect of this game might bomb.

• PaksPaks Member Posts: 263

Originally posted by siresper

Originally posted by atziluth

The trouble with waiting until release to make posts about concerns people have with AoC is two fold:

1) A lot of people could be potentially dupped into buying something unfinished (has happened countless times before), and people shouldn't have to pay for something and find out they didn't get what they paid for.

2) A company could be funded to release something unfinished, further encouraging the cycle of poor quality releases that the genre is so well known for.

This is why its important to bring out concerns beforehand, and not after, a game has released. This is why it is important to make sure the playerbase knows what it is buying, and knows what it is getting... BEFOREHAND.

Anyone that disagrees with educating the playerbase on these things, whether the truth is good or bad... is trying to screw you.

That's why you have open beta's.  Open beta's give preview's into games to let gamers know if they want to buy it or not.  There's no better or more trustworthy way to make a decision about buying a game then an open beta.  None.  

I'm a little fuzzy on how people making posts about concerns will alleviate the problem of people being dupped into buying an unfinished product.  Are the concerns based on beta experience, or just assumptions and a game of follow the leader?  Nothing I've heard is based on anything other then a misguided sense of entitlement.  And in this instance funding is a mute point.  AoC is fully funded and more.

Basically both of your two fold points make no sense when you look at them logically. 

The real problem isn't that those on the chicken little train are right or are doing the community some wonderful service (which they aren't), it's that so many people are willing to jump on it without seeming to really think for themselves.  And that is actually a valid concern.

• HapacheHapache Member Posts: 74

They better have thier sh!t straight when launch day comes around. After this whole mess with VG, I think there are alot of players out there who are fed up with glitchy games being shoved out the door to meet a deadline. I dont think most will put up with it, if its glitchy they will leave it a ghost town like VG is now

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

I refuse to assume anything until I see what they release.

As for the SOE comments. Well I would never touch anything they ever produce after my dealings with them.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Focus*Bankai

The beta's been running. Just because it's not open or you didn't get an invite doesn't mean it isn't running. It's 3 months to launch and you think the game isn't in beta yet? LOL....

I'm not even talking about the beta anyways. I'm talking about the fact that all of the latest videos from this month at game shows have noticeable FPS slowdowns, and the devs are reaffirming that that this game is going to come out at the end of October. That's 3 months from now, and those videos are on the devs machines.

It wasnt slowdown it was lag, all the videos from this month are from E3 and they had terrible connection issues. The game is ready for release, it already got pushed back so it wouldnt come out like the stinking pile of crap vanguard is. And im glad its going to have great graphics, why would I want to play something my old PSOne could render (WAR). Im sure it will run decently if you lower your graphics, same thing happens in every game if you dont have a good computer, doesnt mean they are going to post the worst looking graphics their game can do but im sure its going to be an option. 

The only game that looked simelar on a good and bad computer was WoW and im not so sure that was a good thing, my computer wanted to do more but it was being restricted.

• anubisssanubisss Member Posts: 325

Originally posted by Kasimir

You know, if you dont like how Conan looks.. You dont HAVE to play it... Noone is FORCING you to buy it, if you like SOE more... I am sure Vanguard is DYING to have you stay as a subscriber. No need to troll here, they really need you back.
    Perhaps he does want to play AOC but not get ripped off.Perhaps some people are not as easy to give there money away to DEV teams who claim something but deliver half or none of what they are promising.

Now i don't know about you but i don't know one single product out there that you cant view before buying..do you?So instead of running your gums and spouting off perhaps you should shut up until you have something sensible to say.

I agree that all will be reviled at Leipzig but if they don't come up with satisfactory game-play showing all they are claiming they are in trouble.I can see it now, AOC fans going awol lol running so fast towards Mythic its a joke.

Well i look forward to that day because like it or not i will be one of the first to remind you how dumb you really have been beleaving FC.I say it now Edios are only really interested in the Console AOC, ok they know there is money to be made on the PC version but  AOC has console written all over it no matter what the dev say to you.

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

This WHOLE thread is.... Nevermind, but it's  just uninformed.

Everyone assumes NO news = Bad News.

There are MANY problems with this thread, Let me share a few.

1. No News Doesn't = Bad News.  Sometimes its stratagy.

2. Thinking too little has been released about this game is just wrong.  Look at UO, AO, the first EQ.  How much footage came out?  ALMOST NONE!!!  These games were almost total mysteries when they released.   I've followed MANY MANY games in my time.  WOW didn't even share this much footage with us.  Half of whats in WOW right now wasn't in when it released.   How much WOW PvP did we see befor it released.  Nearly NONE.   Most of it came out after open beta.    Funcom doesn't do huge Open Beta's.   Open Beta will most likely be a 1 week thing, where the first few days will be invites so they can controll the numbers online, and make adjustments, and then another wave of invites and tweaking then the last 2-3 days will be the flood gates opening.  IF history is any indicator on how this game will go, then look for open beta 30 days befor release date. 

3. This game doesn't have the problem that smaller game titles like Vanguard and Guildwars have.  Funcom has much much more coverage, and  a following almost 5x that of both those games combined.  They've recieved more awards then any other game in development over the past 3 years.  They've already got people hooked.  They don't need to spend days working on info to release right now.  Why?  They don't need to.  It won't change anything.  They'll continue to provide little tid bits untill we're weeks away from release, and then they'll start flooding their website with new info.  The game will release while everyones STILL excited about the new info they're reading off the site, and the new screenshots, and the new Videos.       NEVER show your hand too early.   They show everyone everything they've got now, then when its time to release, people have already seen everything exciteing.  The buzz has died down. 

BTW.  PvP/ Siege will be debuted in Germany very soon.  They've announced this a month ago.

I really don't get the logic of these "AoC Will Fail" threads.  Nothing has indicated any problems with production.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Frankly, at this point, this could just be a case of bad marketing. Not all companies advertise as well as others. I remember AO not having the best marketing as well, since I never heard about it until its 3rd expansion..or whatever it was, the shadow one. This theory applies to alot of things out there, movies, books, etc.

On the flipside, some advertising is sooooo in your face and awesome that sometimes the finished product isn't as good as it was previewed to be. EQ2 was this way(at Launch) for me.

• DownMonkeyDownMonkey Member CommonPosts: 159

Originally posted by Kasimir

Or I could just be a normal subjective person that knows that a bad MMO start these days equals very bad news and if people can't play the game well, even on high end computers then you're walking into a minefield.  I don't love or hate SOE because I'm not a fantic MMO fruitloop that seems to think SOE is the devil and all games are going to be amazing based on nothing but hype.

I didn't bring SOE up, it was waved around by the above poster as a reason why AOC will  a hit and not a flop.  Frankly, given what I've heard about the games engine they could do with the people that smoothed out EQ2.

I hope AOC is a hit, I love the Conan lore.

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

Originally posted by Hapache

They better have thier sh!t straight when launch day comes around. After this whole mess with VG, I think there are alot of players out there who are fed up with glitchy games being shoved out the door to meet a deadline. I dont think most will put up with it, if its glitchy they will leave it a ghost town like VG is now

While glitches are annoying to say the least, they are not what led to the downfall of VG:SoH.  That games is just crap.  It's a boring grind fest with nothing but disgusting raids to look forward to, you know, the content of lazy developers.  Forced grouping, long exp grinds, sparse content and horrible reward system are the true culprits of a crappy game.  The "Vision" is flawed and it would seem a lot of people are not willing to go back to an EverQuest type experience.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260

My AoC status: cautious fanaticism.  I want it to be excellent and I've been very impressed by what I've seen and read.  But, as many have said here, there's no way to truly judge the game until launch or at least several months after.  The discussion is fun to read, but mostly speculative.  Fingers crossed.

• LilfurbalLilfurbal Member Posts: 115

Actually I would say it's looking pretty good for AoC.

They have a ton of information and lots of videos of which WoW didn't even have prior to its release.  Heck, even FF11 has been a very successful mmo for the most part and if you look for info on their web page now there isn't even really anything worth noting.  AoC has released plenty of information to get me excited for it and has already got my preorder.  No other game has gotten a preorder from me so early before it's release.  Last game I even preordered was WoW, and I placed that order 1 or maybe 2 weeks from release, but I have to say it took me until open beta to get me to decide on that when moving from FF11.  There wasn't enough information based on what I knew from FF11 and moving to WoW.  AoC has already released plenty of information to make a good educated decision on what I should do next without even being in a beta.

It's also gotten all my rl friends and younger brother motivated and they have preordered as well and they haven't even watched half the videos that were released.  The selling points are high, the game features listed at the web page are very exciting, and although out of date, the FAQ has a lot of good information.  There is other information that can be found on the forums and www.gametrailers.com

Even though it hasn't officially been stated anywhere else as of my knowing the developers recently posted about collision detection being implremented and is functioning well in their latest build.  They even got specific enough to mention that the detection works in a more circular area and not square. 

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Originally posted by siresper

1) I agree people should be educated and they have with about 10 new posts a day on this topic. It is getting old. Education of the masses is fine... making a redundant post because you want people to read what YOU say is not. THAT is why it is a dead horse.

2) Everything is set for AoC there is nothing NOTHING you can post on a forum that will impact the developers or publishers in ANY way. Forums, even official ones are use more to let the masses vent then to get any kind of sounding...

This post was pointless because there are already many out there already discussing this point. The OP is narcissistic and should not be encouraged. Notice how he has not responded at all to this thread.

If people are too lazy to do a search on a topic they really should not be posting.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by DownMonkey

I didn't bring SOE up, it was waved around by the above poster as a reason why AOC will  a hit and not a flop.  Frankly, given what I've heard about the games engine they could do with the people that smoothed out EQ2.
    I hope AOC is a hit, I love the Conan lore.
    SOE has its strong points, that is true, but its leadership have been involved in multiple MMO fiascos. To use your own example, it wasn't SOE management that polished up EQ2. In any case, it was mentioned as a reason why AoC was less likely to be gutted by a management decree in one way or another, not as a guarantee it wouldn't fail.

Besides, Funcom has their own experience in a similar field, one that in my opinion is even more profound. They took an unplayable wreck of a game and turned it completely around in a matter of months. Pretty much any player who stuck through the horribly botched launch of Anarchy Online could tell you about that.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway