Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamers Lounge

VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Hello there,

I'm considering the possibility of opening a business venture and one of the possible options is to have a gamers lounge.

What is a gamers lounge? Well, a combination of bar and game shop basically with added facilities for on-site gaming. Like those internet cafes so popular in Asia, there would be in-house computers that people can rent and play all sorts of game on, including but not limited to MMORPGs.

Now, it would not deal only with videogames, but all sorts of related hobbies, from card games to board games to roleplaying games and the like.

It is clear to me why people would want to go to an external location for their pen & paper games. You need people, possibly more than a few and a central location facilitate logistics and give opportunities to even try games before buying them. In addition certain games like miniature games, requires big tables and specific models/plastics that could not be available to the average gamer in his own house, it is also somewhat harder to find suitable subject for gaming online so having a location that gather fellow gamer is convenient to find game pals and the like, so that is a given.

What I'm more concerned about and where I ask your input, is the video game section.

In particular, what would be a motivating factor in making YOU get out of your comfortable home to get in this kind of place to play games on a computer that is not your own? The social factor is still there, of course, but not required. Infact, you can find all kind of gaming people online and the face-to-face is not required at all.

So could it be the powerful computer? I've seen several people lamenting how their computer is not up-to-date and cannot run this or that game, would that makes you consider spending your money on a gamers lounge?

Would it be the powerful internet? But then nowadays wideband is pretty common and about everybody that cares has access to big download speed and big hard disks.

Would it be the idea of knowing all people around you are fellow gamers and the idea of having a beer or a coffee with people sharing your interests to a certain degree? then again judging by the forums here, gamers do not necessarily likes other gamers ;)

Or could it be the game selection variety? The ability to check out this or that single player or MMO game withouth buying the box nor paying the monthly fee? Is having access to such game consoles that you do not own home enough?

If you have any answers or comments, be welcome and post them, this is made to gather gamers impressions after all to see if such a business would actually be viable even here in the West.

Thank you for your time,

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

Comments

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

Originally posted by Volkmar

Hello there,
    I'm considering the possibility of opening a business venture and one of the possible options is to have a gamers lounge.
    What is a gamers lounge? Well, a combination of bar and game shop basically with added facilities for on-site gaming. Like those internet cafes so popular in Asia, there would be in-house computers that people can rent and play all sorts of game on, including but not limited to MMORPGs.
    Now, it would not deal only with videogames, but all sorts of related hobbies, from card games to board games to roleplaying games and the like.
    It is clear to me why people would want to go to an external location for their pen & paper games. You need people, possibly more than a few and a central location facilitate logistics and give opportunities to even try games before buying them. In addition certain games like miniature games, requires big tables and specific models/plastics that could not be available to the average gamer in his own house, it is also somewhat harder to find suitable subject for gaming online so having a location that gather fellow gamer is convenient to find game pals and the like, so that is a given.
    What I'm more concerned about and where I ask your input, is the video game section.
    In particular, what would be a motivating factor in making YOU get out of your comfortable home to get in this kind of place to play games on a computer that is not your own? The social factor is still there, of course, but not required. Infact, you can find all kind of gaming people online and the face-to-face is not required at all.
    So could it be the powerful computer? I've seen several people lamenting how their computer is not up-to-date and cannot run this or that game, would that makes you consider spending your money on a gamers lounge?
    Would it be the powerful internet? But then nowadays wideband is pretty common and about everybody that cares has access to big download speed and big hard disks.
    Would it be the idea of knowing all people around you are fellow gamers and the idea of having a beer or a coffee with people sharing your interests to a certain degree? then again judging by the forums here, gamers do not necessarily likes other gamers ;)
    Or could it be the game selection variety? The ability to check out this or that single player or MMO game withouth buying the box nor paying the monthly fee? Is having access to such game consoles that you do not own home enough?
    If you have any answers or comments, be welcome and post them, this is made to gather gamers impressions after all to see if such a business would actually be viable even here in the West.
    Thank you for your time,

I myself have thought of doing this type of thing. Then I realized I live in the USA and that type of thing is really not popular at all in the US. So I gave up my dream and decided to do something where I could actually make a good living.

I really hope you are not from the US. Too many people have their own gaming rigs and broadband connections and they don't want to go out to a place where they have to pay an hourly rate to use their computers.

If you are doing this, you really need to offer people incentives to come and play at your business. Maybe on weekends hold a tournament for some game, have just an entrance fee to play in the tournament and the winner gets a portion of the money plus some free time to his account on your machines.

Also, to set something like this up you need someone who is very good with computers. Who wants to format all those computers one by one and set them up individually? To set up an entire network of computers that with all the same software, you will need someone who knows how to build an image and push it out over the network and install it on all the computers at once.

I hope either you are tech savvy or have a tech savvy friend who will go into business with you. Also, in this business, charisma helps alot too. Make friends with anyone you can and get them to come see where you work and what you do. If you are going to do something like this, make sure you do it right and have an impressive setup. With a privately owned business, how well you are able to present your business plays HUGE factor in how much money you can bring in. Its even more important when your customers will be spending alot of time in your building.

Best of luck to you. I really hope everything works out great!

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452

Alcohol + Electronics = Short-Circuit.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

well, thanks for your answers so far, this is a fairly disguised bumbpie.

I do not live in the US, I'm other side of the ocean in the EU, where things are, though, not that much different.

Infact, as you might understand, I do share some of your concerns and am skeptical if it would work properly, but some people here in the business suggested it might, so I came seeking advice.

It is only one of several ideas I have, so it is not necessarily be this, even if the idea does entice me.

As for tech skillz, that is no problem, me being a professional in the field.

Any other comments are welcome.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

if maybe people at an internet cafe or whatever are playing multiplayer games that is easy to join in, I guess that could be a hook.

• DanerilDaneril Member Posts: 41

It there was such a place where i live i would love it. I would go there everyday. Ive always been into rpg everything from old console rpgs (zelda, suikoden etc) to tabletop games and mmorpgs, trouble is very few of my friends share these interests. And at a place like this it would be a great place to make new friends and just hang out with likeminded people, playing games and doing what we love.

I'm also a young concept artist trying to get into the gaming industry, and a place like this would also be a place to make contacts and such. I dont mean meeting and becoming best friends with the big leaders in the industry, but maybe other artists and such.

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

A nice atmosphere with Good coffee and Tea and amybee some cupcakes. 

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• CognetoJoeCognetoJoe Member Posts: 446
    Originally posted by METALDRAG0N

A nice atmosphere with Good coffee and Tea and amybee some cupcakes. 

and alcohol too

• AguyAguy Member Posts: 561

If such a place existed where I live, I would definitely go there.  Although I'm not sure how many people are in to that sort of thing.  If there are gamers in your area, then by all means go for it.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

There's a game studio I've been working with here in the area that runs a "Game Shop" downstairs and development upstairs.  The studio looks like most indy studios I've worked with (3 others), except that it's attached to a shop downstairs.

Downstairs is where it's neat.  They sell games out of boxes and gamecards for MMOs.  They'll build you a gaming rig with whatever hardware and configuration, or just sell you the hardware and teach you (ever so briefly) how to do it.  There are a few game rigs setup to try lots of games before you buy them (not MMOs, but SP and multiplayer games) for free, but they tell me they restrict your time on it if there's a few people in there... but it's a neat concept.  None of those computers are online because they don't want crap from the internet and they definately don't want bums off the street checking their MySpace or EMail.

Phenominal idea actually...  The kid who works downstairs is training to be in the upstairs department, and even though he's just a sales clerk/technician, he can say he works for a game company and not mean Gamestop/EB.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Your idea already exists. This is a gaming center close to where I live.

http://www.bethanybytes.com/

And this is a business which promotes such centers around the country and sponsors gaming events.

http://www.igames.org/

Apparently you buy a site license from the various MMOG publishers. Bethany Bytes at best price is 12 hours for $30 to play any MMOG on their list which includes the most popular ones.

• battleaxe22battleaxe22 Member UncommonPosts: 303

You got lot's of cs teams in finalnd who would love to play on lan... A gaming center sounds like a good deal:)

Be sure to open it next to a school so kid's will have were to go when they skip class :DD

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

If you are thinking of a cybercafe, you may want to rethink it. They are not at all popular in the US. With nearly 57% of the US population (according to the 2000 census, that number has increased by estimates to 70%) with access to a computer in their home you will not gain much business. Plus, with the economy as it is these days, not many will want to spend that extra cash.  Also, not to mention you can go to Starbucks, McDonalds, Burger King, IHOP, etc. for free Wi-Fi access.

Now, if you geared it towards a hangout, then it might work. Add a few computers, just basic and not top of the line, for people to check email, browse, etc. Free Wi-Fi. Space to rent for LAN parties, you bar/cafe that servers gamer food, etc. Just include small things. Don't invest in a bunch of top of the line computers and waste that money. Your plan can be successful if implemented properly. However, keep in mind that in the US the cybercafe fad died in the late 90s.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

thank you for all the answers. they are enlightening.

It would be a place where to hang out, yes, and a game room all in one. We would not do only videogame (seemingly the best thing is to expand to side markets like miniatures, tabletop, rpgs and the like to survive) and we would definitly hold out tournaments with prizes and things. Even at late night.

Support for CS and other games clans seems a great idea, I did not know they could actually need it as I had the impression they are most of the time all over the country/world. But effectivly it could be other way around, as my wife suggests, that CS clans tend to born with real life friends.

I suspect we definitly have both varieties.

Thanks for all the comments

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

One of the people who posted gave you the basic idea of how it would work in the US.

1) It would have to be also a business where you sell games, perhaps other hobby merchandise like warhammer stuff for example

2) You get the location wrong you are screwed.  Many factors go into this and personally I could never figured it out.

a) people would have to have enough money and a need to hang out in your place.  I seriously would consider a korean neighbourhood with alot of kids.  Not too poor Not too rich. Most asian communities would do possibly.

b) the place needs to be spacious but also not very expensive, its a tough one.

c) neighbourhood cant be TOO rich, kid with a killer rig aint gonna come to your store/hangout to play on an inferior rig.

3) Never used warezed software of any kind EVER. Your competition will get you shut down in an instant.

4) You would have to advertise , and do events. Like competitions, prizes dont have to be much. If you run a gaming competition you could have a retail game as a prize or something even smaller.  Prizes arent necessary 100%.  If you do Warhammer stuff and theres plenty players in the area they will show up just to play.  You'll need to have a special made gameboard for it but its a one time investment.

5) Most important, NEVER TRUST AN EMPLOYEE. 

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914

Strippers. I wouldnt leave home for anything else

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by Remali

Strippers. I wouldnt leave home for anything else

QFT or at the very least a Hooters type of employee working there and you will be making mad money.  Have the girls give the sense of availablity to the geeks that come in and they will always come back.   

Especially if you get some of the girls to actually learn and play some of the games.   That will give nerds who think that Night Elf is actually a hot girl someone to actually visualize while playing WoW and that alone will get you some clients. 

Seriously though in the US and most European countries things like this just don't do that well.  Unless you are in an area with low numbers of in home high speed internet that is.  If so then something like this will most likely do very well.  

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)