Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I quit....

I finally realised why I quit LOTRO a few weeks ago. Note, this isn't a flame post, what time I did spend ingame I did enjoy....for a few weeks.

I quit because of........the Lord of the Rings movies.

Now, most people at this point may be going 'WTF?' and hitting your reply button to post flames....but bear with me.

I adore the Lord of the Rings movies. I adored them the first time I watched the Fellowship. I loved the brilliant soundtrack, the attention to detail in terms of props, scenery and costumes....I loved the characters....I loved everything!

So when it came to playing the LOTRO game, I was let down. Not through any major faults of the game itself, just because I loved everything about the movies so much, the game seemed to pale in comparison to me. The music sounded drab, the visuals dull and lifeless....boring characters....

Now I know alot of people will flame me for this point of view, but it's just my opinion. I had gorged myself on the feast that is the LOTR movies....and was then presented with the chicken leg that was LOTRO.

*flees*

Comments

• SathirSathir Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by Cookster5

I finally realised why I quit LOTRO a few weeks ago. Note, this isn't a flame post, what time I did spend ingame I did enjoy....for a few weeks.
    Now, most people at this point may be going 'WTF?' and hitting your reply button to post flames....but bear with me.
    I adore the Lord of the Rings movies. I adored them the first time I watched the Fellowship. I loved the brilliant soundtrack, the attention to detail in terms of props, scenery and costumes....I loved the characters....I loved everything!
    So when it came to playing the LOTRO game, I was let down. Not through any major faults of the game itself, just because I loved everything about the movies so much, the game seemed to pale in comparison to me. The music sounded drab, the visuals dull and lifeless....boring characters....
    Now I know alot of people will flame me for this point of view, but it's just my opinion. I had gorged myself on the feast that is the LOTR movies....and was then presented with the chicken leg that was LOTRO.
    *flees*

Yeah, we gotta be honest, the game is a bit.. on the crap side.

-----------------------------------------
    WAR is coming, are you prepared?
    -----------------------------------------

• xxboltxxxxboltxx Member Posts: 4

I'm not going to flame you by any means, there is no point in that period.

From what i understand you was looking for the Middle earth from the movies, this game is based on the book's, so i figure if you have never read them and your only a fan of the movie's then yes i could deffinatly see where one would be let down.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

True, but the devs can still implement loads of stuff if they can be arsed that is. Maybe a superb instance to fight loads of orks or something. I wanted the "ooos" and "aaahs" when I purchased the game.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Sathir
    Originally posted by Cookster5 I finally realised why I quit LOTRO a few weeks ago. Note, this isn't a flame post, what time I did spend ingame I did enjoy....for a few weeks.
    *flees*

Yeah, we gotta be honest, the game is a bit.. on the crap side.

Sorry but the second quote has just as much point as the first. Aside from the fact neither of you like the game neither of you brought up any points. A game cannot be the movie or the book.

LOTRO is a fun game, yeah it's like some other mmos but it's special because of the setting. If you don't like that well then find something else to play.

• mindmeldmindmeld Member UncommonPosts: 229

We all have diffrent reason to quit a game but i have to say yours was one of the weirder ones.

The movies is very beutifull but the power to render those kind of scenes in a game doesnt exist we are getting there with dx 10 and such, but not there yet.

lord of the rings as someone said is more close to the books.

-Semper ubi sub ubi!
    always wear underwear

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260

Read the books, own all the extended versions of the films - love them to death.  Game didn't do it for me either.

Here's an interesting thing about Turbine and canceling your LOTRO sub.  I was a founder so I had the $9.99/mo. plan.  When I canceled they gave me notice that I can't rejoin at the lower $9.99 rate, and my characters may not be saved.  Hmm, not a very good way to entice players to come back if they change their minds...  I quit another MMO to take a long break, came back many months later and all of my characters were waiting there for me - pretty nice.  I mean, how much data does it really take up to save them?  Seems it's just Turbines psychological effort to make me fear canceling...   A little off topic but interesting nonetheless to see how different companies approach their customer base.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144
    Originally posted by garbonzo

Read the books, own all the extended versions of the films - love them to death.  Game didn't do it for me either.
    Here's an interesting thing about Turbine and canceling your LOTRO sub.  I was a founder so I had the $9.99/mo. plan.  When I canceled they gave me notice that I can't rejoin at the lower $9.99 rate, and my characters may not be saved.  Hmm, not a very good way to entice players to come back if they change their minds...  I quit another MMO to take a long break, came back many months later and all of my characters were waiting there for me - pretty nice.  I mean, how much data does it really take up to save them?  Seems it's just Turbines psychological effort to make me fear canceling...   A little off topic but interesting nonetheless to see how different companies approach their customer base.

This has been discussed a millions times over. They say you MAY lose them not that you WILL lose them. Funny how every single MMO company says you may lose your characters when you cancel. As far as founder pricing explain why you deserve to come back at that price? Founder's pricing is for loyal customers.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Wild! I have read the books numerous times, could not stand the movies, and love the game. Not a flame since this is a subjective thing but  I will disagree with from the OP on one part of his post. The  is music in this game is the best I have ever experienced. My favorite is the Celtic style female singing  from the Evendim area and a close second is the  Erid Luin starter area classical piece.

I miss DAoC

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260
    Originally posted by seabass2003

Originally posted by garbonzo

This has been discussed a millions times over. They say you MAY lose them not that you WILL lose them. Funny how every single MMO company says you may lose your characters when you cancel. As far as founder pricing explain why you deserve to come back at that price? Founder's pricing is for loyal customers.

Founder pricing is for "founding."  I was a founder because I gave them the nod of approval (i.e. $50) before they actually released their product.  Don't think loyalty factors into it, it's more like "faith" in their ability to deliver, which I had.  But , of course, they can do whatever they want - and so can I.  As far as explaining why I "deserve" to come back at founder pricing, I think the more relevant challenge is to explain why they deserve for me to pay them any more money.  Personally I wouldn't be playing if it was free, but that's just my humble opinion.   

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Well, they did tell you up front when you purchased that if you quit you will not get founder's pricing if you return. I don't see how they are using strong arm tactics to make you fear quiting.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

*flees*

I think EA has the movie rights. Im sure they'll make good use of it...you would think anyway. So you may  have some hope to experience the movies.

As far as music..at times it really fit the mood. Like when your standing around checking out the scenery while ya wait for whatever.The music will quietly start playing with a gust of wind. If I didnt have purple pants on (navy dye=purple, ghey purple), It would almost feel like middle earth. Most of the time the music didnt add anything to the experience for me. I think I have it turned down to hear voice chat so I hardly ever notice it.

The visuals...some parts blew me away..like weathertop, Thorins Hall, Standing on the edge of the marshes at sunset. Some parts were nothing like what I pictured in my head..like Rivendell. Peter Jackson pretty much nailed it in the movies IMO.

Lifeless? I dunno. I think as far as level/quest/loot games go.. its above average. Ya cant really have NPC's walking around if you have to get quests and sell to em. The supplier walking around drives me nuts...but I like it that way. Makes it more real to me in a way. But, I would assume  all their data tells them to keep them static. And that poor woodcutter in  South Bree..he chops wood 24/7..give hime a break. That kinda stuff is cheesy to me..but its every game..so.

If you hadnt seen the movies...how close did they come to the way you imagined?

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

And that poor woodcutter in  South Bree..he chops wood 24/7..give hime a break.

Hehe, you forget the prisoner taking a non stop 24/7 beating just outside the Bree jail 

• cutiechixcutiechix Member Posts: 95

i never try the game so i will play first to have my own opinion

• NubziNubzi Member Posts: 93

Only thing that annoys me about the game really, having to spam for hours to get groups.

• MortueMortue Member UncommonPosts: 11

Originally posted by Nubzi

Only thing that annoys me about the game really, having to spam for hours to get groups.

Exactly what make me stop playing, and with a lifetime sentence (subscription) I can't even take my money  elsewhere.

• LilfurbalLilfurbal Member Posts: 115

*flees*

I for one definaetly agree.  I love the movies and love the soundtracks to each, I own all three soundtracks.  :)  The game here doesn't feel like I would if I were like, in the movies for example.  I'm not a big book reader so I couldn't say whether the game makes you feel in the books or not.  I don't even like the music in the game at all, I just had to turn the music volume all the way down so I could enjoy the player music more.  The game just doesn't give me my fill for the LOTR environment sadly enough.  Actually it makes me feel like I'm playing WoW and am in that world more than a LoTR world.

• NubziNubzi Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by Mortue

Originally posted by Nubzi

Exactly what make me stop playing, and with a lifetime sentence (subscription) I can't even take my money  elsewhere.

Ouch.  I rarely if ever buy extended plans on things.  I never know if -

The game will be around a projected two years minimum.

If I will have an interest in the game past a few weeks/months.

Every game I play, I always get the monthly payment.  Sorry that you're stuck with that lifetime crap, try ebaying it.

• TeganxTeganx Member Posts: 401
    Well the game was based off of the movies. Although I quit as well, the game is dull.

playing: darkfall
    waiting: earthrise

• LaenirLaenir Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Teganx

Well the game was based off of the movies.

I hope that was a typo on your part.  The game was not based off the movies.  Turbine does not own the licenses to those.

• Neolith8300Neolith8300 Member Posts: 12

First let me say this is not a flame. Sorry that you felt disappointed, that is your opinion and your are entitled to it.  However, the game IS NOT based on the movies, it even says so under the FAQs on the game website. LOTRO is based off of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit books. The game and the movies are two different interpretations of the same subject, so naturally you will see different visuals and hear different music because it was developed by two separate groups and therefore MUST be different to avoid copyright infringement from the movies.

• area84area84 Member Posts: 335

I quit my self for similar reasons, three weeks after I started playing, the quests seemed very repetitive and for some reason they seemed poorly detailed, except for the epic storyline. I started playing LotR about 7 months after I had quit wow, and I really looked forward to it, I was actually enjoying the game alot when I first started I just dont know why I lost interest and why the game seemed so plain, I wanted to like it but it just couldnt happen. I went back to WoW and even though WoW is quest based lvling like LotR for some reason the quests have alot more story into them and seem to draw you in better. I really dont know how to explain it, I am not a WoW fanboi and most definately dont hate LotR I just couldnt find enjoyment in LotR and it seemed plain for some reason.

And I didnt like how after I cancelled they said you may loose your toons, now first off in all MMOs I have played no company ever states something like that but actually they say something like "Should you decide to come back your toons will still be here". I know that when they say you may loose them doesnt mean that you definately will but thats a reason enough for me not to consider coming back, after all I will have to renew my account just to find out if my toons are still there? I really wouldnt care because I had a 22 hunter and that isnt a high level or anything but there are those who have spent alot of time to decking out their characters and may have to quit due to financial reasons or mabye they want to take a break. I really dont like how Turbine puts a pressure on you like that, it seems as if they dont want you to leave the game, which is understandable but they pressure you into it. I really didnt like that.

What I have posted above is just my opinion and nothing else.

A man dies daily, only to be reborn in the morning, bigger, better and wiser.

-Playing AoC
    -Playing WoW
    -Retired- SWG
    -Retired- EVE
    -Retired- LotR

Computer (- Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.81 Ghz (Quad Core CPU)- Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 - 4 Gigs of PC 8500 ram (1066)- EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS PCI Express 2.0 - WD 500GB 7500RPM - Zalman CPU cooler (air cooled)
    - 24" Widescreen 1080P HD display).

• StevenTheRocStevenTheRoc Member Posts: 74

I am also one of those people who is a huge fan of the books and movies but thought the game did everything wrong in terms of lore.   I mean I read the books, the game is nothing like the books, so why is it considered based on LOTR?  Just because of the names of areas and races?  I think mircrosoft is milking people for their money knowing that the big fanbase of lotr are mostly suckers who will buy into any form of entertainment with the name slapped on it.  My opinion ofcourse don't flame me.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Originally posted by StevenTheRoc

I am also one of those people who is a huge fan of the books and movies but thought the game did everything wrong in terms of lore.   I mean I read the books, the game is nothing like the books, so why is it considered based on LOTR?  Just because of the names of areas and races?  I think mircrosoft is milking people for their money knowing that the big fanbase of lotr are mostly suckers who will buy into any form of entertainment with the name slapped on it.  My opinion ofcourse don't flame me.
    What does microsoft have to do with this game? 

As for the game itself, i think it was doomed from the start if the goal was to get millions of subscribers.  Because the larger fanbase saw the movies and didn't read the books.  When people realized that it was not based on the movies, it was already a big turnoff for them.  Turbine just wanted to cash in on the name.

The game had horrible looking main characters, like Frodo, Gandalf, Strider, etc.  They were badly done artistically, although the scenery and zones were great.

The music, sounds, animations, mobs, combat, and everything else was also a failure.  Everything was so drab, uninspiring and boring.  The atmosphere made me sleepy at times, there was no life in this game.  The only true memorable moment was the Retake Weathertop quest.

Emotes in WoW were funny or awesome, animations were great, sounds and music were enjoyable, questing was so simple and never demanded a group to progress, even the 30m travel in WoW was exciting.  This is why WoW has 9 million subscribers, and it really amazes me why other companies keep running future mmo games into the ground.

There's only two things i dislike in WoW and that's, raid or die and rep grinds, otherwise i'd still be playing it. 

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

Originally posted by observer

Originally posted by StevenTheRoc

What does microsoft have to do with this game? 

As for the game itself, i think it was doomed from the start if the goal was to get millions of subscribers.  Because the larger fanbase saw the movies and didn't read the books.  When people realized that it was not based on the movies, it was already a big turnoff for them.  Turbine just wanted to cash in on the name.

The game had horrible looking main characters, like Frodo, Gandalf, Strider, etc.  They were badly done artistically, although the scenery and zones were great.

The music, sounds, animations, mobs, combat, and everything else was also a failure.  Everything was so drab, uninspiring and boring.  The atmosphere made me sleepy at times, there was no life in this game.  The only true memorable moment was the Retake Weathertop quest.

Emotes in WoW were funny or awesome, animations were great, sounds and music were enjoyable, questing was so simple and never demanded a group to progress, even the 30m travel in WoW was exciting.  This is why WoW has 9 million subscribers, and it really amazes me why other companies keep running future mmo games into the ground.

There's only two things i dislike in WoW and that's, raid or die and rep grinds, otherwise i'd still be playing it. 

Well as soon as another company can come up with 60-70 mil for developement and another 20-30 mil for marketing, have 12 or so mil people already playing a previous game by them they can use for viral marketing, and have a worldwide release. You might get a game you play. 

Wow has pretty colors.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• David_RRDavid_RR Member Posts: 134

I think that the game could use some of the cool battles that were in the books and movies but I like the game.  My onboard sound has not been working the last three weeks and I have not gotten the chance to play and I miss the game.  The game could be better,  but you should not quit a game because it did not live up to the movies.  Maybe opne day a on line game will have all that you want but I doubt it.  Cannot wait to get my sound fixed.  Take care