Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Started at release, played quit, played again...

KroggKrogg Member Posts: 480

...quit for a few other games, came back again, left for a bit...now back again!

I just wanted to add my bit because I have a few minutes.

Video games are fun.   Since people started playing them we have enjoyed them.   I'm only 31 (32 in 2 weeks!) and haven't been into games since the dawn of the intellivision (or whatever was first), but I have played through the coleco vision, vic 20, commodore 64, amiga, ibm, nintendo, sega, etc timeline.. as well as running a few BBS's before the net was around.  The state of gamers these days is getting to be something funny.

I play World of Warcraft, and I'm almost ashamed - note the almost.  Apparently this game is too simple, and repetitive.  There's no endgame, I hear.  The population is supposedly immature and nasty... what?  Where?  I have spent more hours playing this game than any other, I've got great memories and to this day I still enjoy even just the simple mechanics of combat.  The guilds I've been in have been decent and honest for the most part and I've met some funny people through the game.  The characters flow well for me too, when I am running - jumping - attacking, the momentum and movement feels right.  I do like the graphics, they are consistent and colourful, and in terms of being a video game World of Warcraft fits the bill for me.  So why do so many people tell me I'm wrong about all of these things?

I left for 'smarter' games.. but couldn't find any.  Just other video games.  Some were fun too.  CoH was a blast at first - some of you might remember the Paragon Radio hosted parties and the start of the dance clubs; EVE was interesting, played that for quite a while, but in the end I found myself spending more time offline getting my skills up and not really playing as much as I wanted, but that was just me, fun game sometimes; EQ2 I also started at release and came back to twice - I love that game also, but between WoW and EQ2 I choose WoW - for one simple reason:  I am a casual player now (used to be 10-12 hrs a day, now 1-2+), I love PvP, WoW gives me the option of a quick PvP fix when I only have 1/2 hr before work... EQ2 gives me chasing and watching people zone.  Beautiful game other than that though.  and the list goes on.

Now my point is this - quit bashing peoples preference.   None of us are looking for exactly the same thing, and most of the people compaining have themselves put 1000+ hours into these games.  Imagine travelling back in time and telling your cousin you just played Qbert for that long.   And Qbert rocks.  These top tier games we are playing now are all pretty amazing, it's just a matter of which amazing game you prefer.  ATM I prefer Warcraft.  It makes me smile.

The flipside of this is that if all of the '9 million' subs were given the chance to try the other leading titles a good percentage would most likely leave for those games.  But that would be a positive thing.  This industry does need a more competitive market.  That's how growth occurs, and like any smart person I too hope better games will come out - for me.  For some they already have.

Alright, no editing was done so if you notice a mistake or something please flame and berate me for my idiocy

Comments

• Little-NemoLittle-Nemo Member Posts: 110

I left WoW once due to getting bored, then played again for a long time, then just recently left again. I just wanted something different. I have 3 level 70's pvp'd and raided, have 2 375 tailors and it was just time to try something different. I find I am playing LOTRO and EQ2. I will probably go with LOTOR though cause I don't play much on line anymore, though EQ2 seems to be much bigger and have more then LOTOR. I have my memories in WoW and I may go back, just not soon.

• zack702zack702 Member Posts: 56

WOW has almost everything a mmorpg needs only lacking a few things barely mentionable.

One of the cool things about WOW is as you mentioned the player mechanics. Simple things like running and jumpin gives a smooth feel just like a action game. Such a simple thing to do other mmorpg games make them feel sluggish and awkward.

BTW Qbert rocks used to play that on a texas instruments console haha I can say I have spent many hours playing it hahaha.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Good question.  I voted 3, not sure if that's really true though.  I started playing at launch and played for a few months, then quit to go play Anarchy Online.   I played Anarchy Online for a good solid year but then the guild i was on decided to get back to WOW so i followed them there.  They started on a PVP server, i'm not a big fan of PVP so i stop playing WOW again within a month.   Back last year i lost my job and start playing WoW again, i play for 6 months, had the most fun i ever had in WOW.   Was in a great org, it was a blast, than all of the sudden both leader quit and the org kinda collapse, i quit playing aoon after.   I just resub 3 days ago after a few months break and after playing only a few hours i'm already bored (that's bad).   At the moment i spend most my time in GW with a little bit of WOW.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

I have quit this game so many times.  And of course came back in the end.  Well, I did it again. . .except I have been in the game now for at least 8 months straight without quiting.  I've finally realized what WoW is about.  I'm a college student, and similar to most people. . .time is a very valuable thing when you grow up.  I don't have the time nor the patience I did when I started playing Ultima Online 8 years ago.  Since then, I have been from game to game never being able to find anything that is worthy enough.  I tried WoW at the begining and didn't like it.  It was too easy and not like UO at all.  But no game is UO.  I tried all these newer games that have come out and after trying Vanguard I realized that World of Warcraft did something right.  More than just gameplay too.  You actually feel like you are part of the world for your short little casual hours in the game.  The running is right on, the jumping is perfect...the movement in anyway is sincere.  Along with the world which is just jaw jropping at times.  Blizzard made and epic game.  I hate to see that most people don't agree with me on this because of all the rumors they here.  The community is one of the best if you ask me.  At least the game is not filled with haters bashing on other's games.  There are ALOT of opportunities for people to communicate and RP some in the game also.  After about a year of searching for other games, I think I finally opened my eyes and realized that WoW is the best game in the market for a long time to come.  I only hope games like WAR and AoC can do what WoW did.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• LemacsLemacs Member UncommonPosts: 121

I quit once and never looked back, I do miss having a fun game to play but the WoW is not that game. After 2.5 years I needed something new. I am a consumer and if I pay for something I better get something that I like, and Blizzard did not do that with TBC. So i will not give them my money for something that i don't like playing. So I been floating around playing EQ2, EVE and Beta Testing game here and there. But i will never return to WoW.

Waiting for:

WAR

AoC

STO <- yeha i a Trekkie

Even going to try Stargate Worlds

UO-EQ1-SWG-DAOC-WOW-EQ2-WAR-GW2-RIFT

• skurk81skurk81 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by zack702

WOW has almost everything a mmorpg needs only lacking a few things barely mentionable.
    One of the cool things about WOW is as you mentioned the player mechanics. Simple things like running and jumpin gives a smooth feel just like a action game. Such a simple thing to do other mmorpg games make them feel sluggish and awkward.
    BTW Qbert rocks used to play that on a texas instruments console haha I can say I have spent many hours playing it hahaha.

Aye, the player mechanics is the single biggest reason I keep returning to WoW. No other games seem to get it quite right.