Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why WoW is better than EQ2

AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

1) WoW feels like it is a proper world. Each race has it's own city, culture and goals. The world is far more believable than the EQ2 world, which feels like a mishmash of fantasy cliches all stuffed together

2) It doesn't have a crafting system which consists of the same easy, repetitve and time consuming mini game repeated one million times

3) Talents allow far more customisation of a WoW character than the EQ2 equivalent

4) Fewer raids. In EQ2 raiding starts at low level and continue until the end of the game. All of the most powerful endgame kit is only achievable by raiding. In contrast, within WoW there is almost no incentive to raid below max level, and even then decent kit is available via heroics and pvp (to the extent that some raiders complain they aren't adequately rewarded).

Comments

• TolwynnTolwynn Member Posts: 240

er...umm...

you know eq2 is eq1, 500 years later.

the story is kinda huge...to say the least. plus, add all the soap opera mini-stories that comprise the quests,epics, local lore and current state of the world(s), yadda yadda and blah blah......its a massive story.imho

does Wow truely have a story, other than background info, on a sub-par suface level, semi-explaining and attempting to justify, the reason you fight horde vs alliance?(which is redundant in its own existance...like duh: why did we buy it?, isnt the story in wow, useless for the most part...i mean the one that is inplace in the game)..

I mean to say...the Online Mmorpg known as WoW, has relation in full, to the WoW of ye olden tymes?

/discuss

(ps- as far as #3....most all mmorpg are grinds or full of raids and junk. espeically if they are mainly pve based. no?)

------------------------------------------------------------------
    <insert gloat of ubar toon here>
    <insert random game here>
    ---------------------------
    <insert witty anecdote here>
    <political/religious agenda here>

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

Originally posted by Tolwynn

er...umm...

you know eq2 is eq1, 500 years later.

the story is kinda huge...to say the least. plus, add all the soap opera mini-stories that comprise the quests,epics, local lore and current state of the world(s), yadda yadda and blah blah......its a massive story.imho

does Wow truely have a story, other thanbackground info on a sub-par suface level, semi-explaining, the reason you fight horde vs alliance?.. I mean to say...the Online Mmorpg known as WoW, has relation in full to the WoW of ye olden tymes?
    /discuss

(ps- as far as #3....most all mmorpg are grinds or full of raids and junk. espeically if they are mainly pve based. no?)

Maybe you should read 1 of the many warcraft novels www.blizzard.com/books/novels.shtml

WoW has lore coming out of it ass.

• TolwynnTolwynn Member Posts: 240

exactly..my point...99% of the wow players dont even know they exist...so....in turn theyare proivided with kind of uselss and scant drivvle to fuel the lore behind the game known as wow.( add this to the fact of the <ahem> streamlined UI and gameplay in wow..which basically removes one from ALL lore and voila....still not much of a story, comparitively speaking in regards to eq lore.)...face it , just like me and my own kids, the wow interface and questing is so easy, how many times do you just click thru for the sake of hurrying up....most all do, especially if your grouped :)

(anyone remember playing in Guildwars ,grouped, and a cut scene is about to happen.....many new players got yelled at for simply wanting to see the lore) heh...was kinda funny....

anyway..

my kids still dont know what wow is , in the sense of the novels. even though they stoppped playing..they still have no clue.

this would go for 99% of the player gamebase anyway.

just pointing out some facts that didnt make sense in #1-#3 from OP, Eq is based online and ingame. most of WoW lore from ye olden tymes in relatively and virtually unknown and what exists in the game ...is well, fun-nay...

...especially when trying to compare the 2 games once again.

and especially on this level..

---------------------------
    <insert witty anecdote here>
    <political/religious agenda here>

• local93bclocal93bc Member Posts: 353

I think EQ2 was awsom. But its way to carebear, fluffy easy.

• RaitsesmanRaitsesman Member UncommonPosts: 215

I have read those novels btw. i'm quite sure that any other mmo doesn't have that good complexed lore. Wow has the best lore i've ever seen.

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by local93bc

I think EQ2 was awsom. But its way to carebear, fluffy easy.

And WoW isant 

Also your quite wrong about WoW as its a medio game with little innovation ehile EQ" is a very rich beutifull game [in comparison] wth exelent atmosphere and lore.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• darc21darc21 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Raitsesman

I have read those novels btw. i'm quite sure that any other mmo doesn't have that good complexed lore. Wow has the best lore i've ever seen.

You should see how big and complex the warhammer and warhammer 40000 lore is. Far superior to any mmo. Its been developed for over 20 years.

WAR looks AWESOME!

Give Blood....Play Rugby!

• battleaxe22battleaxe22 Member UncommonPosts: 303

apart from Lotr .....wow has the one of the best fantasy stories out there....

eq2 is a good game but wow is 3times better ...in every aspect ....nothin else sead     numbers don't lie

Wow =mcdonalds of mmo's

eq2=White castle or some other almost popular fast food

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

I know there is a large amount of lore behind EQ2. But quantity is not the same as quality, and having a million and one lots of justifications for a world that doesn't feel coherent doesn't help matters. The game still has the feeling to me of a generic fantasy mishmash.

And I can see no one here is defending the EQ2 crafting system - the most boring mini-game known to mankind.

• UrazielUraziel Member Posts: 172

Odd topic..

You compare old to new and you do that because of its story ?

Let's just take WoW as an example. Lets assume I'm a new player and have never read or heard of the Lore in WoW.

Do the quests guide me to expand on it's lore ? Absolutely not. Not untill you enter tBC, where some of the lore finally gets explained. Do the cities, its history get explained ? not the slightest bit. Does my journey through WoW feel even a bit epic ? Between killing scorpions and bears, maybe, but that between is 5% of the actual game. Where Blizzard went wrong, is that they initially had a PvP RTS and they turned it into a PvE environment, where PvP is nothing other than glorified ganking, or instancebased CTF(and similar)

I'm unaware of EQ. I haven't played it, nor will I. But to even suggest WoW has good Lore, forget it. The Lore prior to WoW was good. The novels are "decent", lets say it reaches a certain public, just like Harry Potter, and Warcraft certainly kept you on your toes with Lore for quite a while. To me however, WoW has no part in this lore.

Without fanboying. WAR will beat WoW on the subject of Lore, because it's the red wire through the game. There might be side-quests that are not related to the lore (10 years older than that of WoW ;) ) , but the Lore will be your mainquest.

Like Diablo, you will constantly be in persuit of the storyline. However thin it might be.

Age of Conan, same story, based on several fantasy Novels. LOTRO same story, based on Fantasy Novels.

The difference between those two and WoW ?In WoW the Lore is there to justify the game. With LOTRO and AoC , the lore is there to entertain people with a good book. Huge and significant difference.

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

Uraziel - your post is off topic. The comparison is between EQ2 and WoW. If you want to make a new topic about WhO then go right ahead..

I'm sure I can suggest a few disadvantages that game has as well...

• zack702zack702 Member Posts: 56

World of Warcraft lore is all over the place however mostly the burning legion is a large part of what goes on in Azeroth. Yes you can get caught up in the alliance vs horde and reasons why and there is alot of lore in that alone but there is also the Scourge. If you read the manual section History you can get a good idea of what, why, where, how and also where you come in to play. As you level up if you read your journal occasionaly you will get more ideas of how the history is affecting the present.

Everquests Lore from what I can remember was based around this God and that God which allowed them to do whatever they wanted to with there expansions and change anything they see fit. Both a good thing and a bad I guess because when I played everquest1 I didnt know what the hell was going on with the story except every once in a while someone would yell GM EVENT! .

EQ2 I couldn't tell you I only played it a short while and from what I remember some type of cataclysmic event happened years after EQ1 and all of the sudden everyone decided to level up.

• the_troutthe_trout Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by battleaxe22

Wow =mcdonalds of mmo's
    eq2=White castle or some other almost popular fast food

Sadly, they are both crappy fast food, mass marketed resturants. I wish we had more fine dinning options.

I wish this thread was titled "What makes WoW different than EQ2".

IMO one is not better than the other anymore than a BigMac is better than a Whopper. It's just a matter of taste, or lack thereof.

edit: grammer