Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AOC raises doubts of another Vanguardesque launch.

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I visited AOC official forums lately and they are full of concerned posts.

Supposedly only 3 months from release - AOC being revolutionary in many ways , is showing to less to the public.

E3 presentation was incredibly lacking , showing only 10% of game features (or less) ... while even models and animations are said to be in reworking process. Now i may not know much , but the game that was in development for so long - should be 99% finished at this point. Only things that should be done 3 months before release should be bug fixes and tweaks.

Yet , Funcom failure to show almost anything could only mean one thing - what they have right now does not look good - and they are still hard working hard at the game itself.

This unfortunately reminds me of Vanguard / vs LOTRO scenario. And their rates of finished/unfinished betas/releases.

I am hoping this is not true for AOC, and that Funcom allready holds finished game in their hands.

But they should go on and reveal videos and details asap , if they want to avoid this fan base unrest.

Comments

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Supposedly only 3 months from release - AOC being revolutionary in many ways , is showing to less to the public.
    E3 presentation was incredibly lacking , showing only 10% of game features (or less) ... while even models and animations are said to be in reworking process. Now i may not know much , but the game that was in development for so long - should be 99% finished at this point. Only things that should be done 3 months before release should be bug fixes and tweaks.
    Yet , Funcom failure to show almost anything could only mean one thing - what they have right now does not look good - and they are still hard working hard at the game itself.
    This unfortunately reminds me of Vanguard / vs LOTRO scenario. And their rates of finished/unfinished betas/releases.
    I am hoping this is not true for AOC, and that Funcom allready holds finished game in their hands.
    But they should go on and reveal videos and details asap , if they want to avoid this fan base unrest.

Im wondering with the amount of content ...If it doesnt relate to SWG's release. So much content, so much to code and well before NGE, never completely fixed any of the bugs. Or should I say didnt even come close to fixing any of the bugs/exploits.

Either way, I hope its at least playable. id like to try something out besides the run of the mill crap being shoved down my throat lately.

• EsedesEsedes Member Posts: 30

i agree with you actually,

vanguard was a big and huge looking forward to, but infact was a big disapointment !! they should take their time to finish this game and clear most of the bugs ...

anyways .. lets hope it doesnt turnm out to be like vanguard or EQ2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

• SterktSterkt Member Posts: 27

I really hope Funcom has learned from Vanguard that unfinished games are a nono. I think/hope the reason they aren't showing off any stuff is because they want you to find out about everything when you get the game. So when you start the game you just go "Wow, this is really awesome". I believe it can help with the whole gaming experience. That's just my opinion though :>

And if there are things that are not coming to the release, I think they would tell us and promise to try and get it in future expansions/patches.

• RivanwarderRivanwarder Member Posts: 8

Most people do seem to be worried by the "Lack" of info available i however seem to think there is more than enough info available at the current time for us to go with'

For example

http://au.gamespot.com/video/927504/6175120/age-of-conan-hyborian-adventures-stage-demo

Is a rather detailed video showing some "High end Gameplay"

Enjoy :)

• ndpunchndpunch Member Posts: 208

Why can't they just delay it another 3 months or so, as long as they release it before worldofwarhammercraft they should be in the clear.

• santafr0gsantafr0g Member Posts: 23

It's been pretty quiet due to vacation time, and the moment there's any stagnation in info, the forums go straight to shite and doomsday 

• QBorgQBorg Member Posts: 64

That video looks pretty good. But I share the OP's  concern. They really should start a big beta program now. It's the only way to iron out the bugs and ensure a smooth release. People have a lot of choice nowadays and most won't put up with a buggy release.

• JavamancerJavamancer Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by Sterkt

I really hope Funcom has learned from Vanguard that unfinished games are a nono.

One would think Funcom has learned from its own experience with Anarchy Online that unfinished games are a nono.  I find it hard to believe Funcom wouldn't have learned from that launch. 

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

They better push the release date back  if the game isn't 100% finished with all promised features, in stable condition with little lag and few bugs. Gamers are not tolerant of shoddy releases anymore and a poor launch will hurt the game immensely.

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by QBorg

That video looks pretty good. But I share the OP's  concern. They really should start a big beta program now. It's the only way to iron out the bugs and ensure a smooth release. People have a lot of choice nowadays and most won't put up with a buggy release.

I'm sure the game will be delayed into atleast 1Q 08.  They pretty much have to unless they want to release a game that isn't complete. Unfortunately there are many MMOs that are released before completion because of pressure from financial backers. Lets home that the people with the money are patient.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• AdythielAdythiel Member Posts: 726
    Originally posted by Javamancer

I really hope Funcom has learned from Vanguard that unfinished games are a nono.

One would think Funcom has learned from its own experience with Anarchy Online that unfinished games are a nono.  I find it hard to believe Funcom wouldn't have learned from that launch. 

This statement is far more accurate than many of us realize. Can you imagine the kind of backlash Funcom will get if they release a second MMO that was as bad as Anarchy Online? They know this too, and I don't doubt they have every intention of making sure AoC releases well. However, I haven't seen enough to convince me yet. I hope it's successful, but AoC isn't a game I'll be pre-ordering until they can alleviate these concerns.

• ElgarethElgareth Member Posts: 588

Originally posted by Adythiel

This statement is far more accurate than many of us realize. Can you imagine the kind of backlash Funcom will get if they release a second MMO that was as bad as Anarchy Online? They know this too, and I don't doubt they have every intention of making sure AoC releases well. However, I haven't seen enough to convince me yet. I hope it's successful, but AoC isn't a game I'll be pre-ordering until they can alleviate these concerns.

Devs learning from mistakes... EA Mythic goes with GOA for the European Servers again, after the abysmal performance of GOA for DAoC, and GOA seems to be just as horrible as ever, they can't even manage to put up a good site for WAR

LotRO and Turbine... I started the 3-day-trial yesterday, and already uninstalled it today after having played a Bard and the CC-guy (Kundiger in German, dunno how it's translated)... and it felt like DDO. Kinda like, EXACTLY like DDO. I was bored, just as I was in DDO ^_^

I doubt that Devs learn too much from earlier mistakes and flaws, but one can at least hope

• BahkBahk Member Posts: 259

Well, I REALLY hope this mmo won't turn out like Vanguard in general + launch that was freaking horrible. The thing that worries me the most is the such damn short beta and it really seems the launch date IS going to stick. Regardless i'll give it a shot at launch.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I really really hope this game will be at least half as good as they promise it will be. And i am really hopeful they didnt hit some major problems which in turn are preventing them from showing big part of the game to public.

As for preordering, or buying game on blind fate. No sire

I think new golden rule of mmorpg player should be - no open beta, no demo , no buy

But Funcom promised open beta , which i am sure they will deliver ...

Again , i hope AOC will turn out good

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Wow, just, wow. There are a great many assumptions in your post, and in most of the replies to this post. What makes you so absolutely sure that the game isn't 99% '' finished and hasn't been for several months?

Funcom's failure to shown anything? They showed three high level classes, showcased multiple pets, their interior tech, two 'raid' boss encounters, an example of 'hiving' enemy AI, polearms, a high level zone and also showed how cone magic works.

Maybe you didn't see this, but that doesn't mean in the least that it wasn't shown. When players asked the devs why they didn't show more, they very clearly stated that at an 'open floor' E3 they have the opportunity to let players and fans see the game and learn new info. But E3 is a much more private affair and theirs, like 90% of games shown, were invite only. E3 is much more about developer - publisher relations now then it is about the fans. It's the sad truth.

Next, they have only showed 10% of the games features? In what universe? There is a TUN of info available for this game. Theres so much in fact that you have to go looking for it to find it all, and it can take hours and hours and hours to read/view/watch all of it. FAR more then most any other MMOG released previously.

Last let me say that it takes a massive assumption on your part and anyone else's part to suggest that they have to push back release, because they couldn't possibly be in polish phase. Unless you are intrinsically involved in development, you haven't got a freaking clue. Your just spewing hyperbole.

To quote Jayde, who is still on vacation like all the other devs (until Munday I presume.)

"Sorry, but I'm going to have to request a heavy dose of realism in regard to this and similar topics. I've said this many times in the past--and, of course, there has only been -more- info released since that time!--but, frankly, we have released, discussed, and shown more detailed info about the workings of the game than pretty much any other game I have ever played.

I have been playing MMOs and games in general for many, many years, and while I can certainly understand the desire for more information, there is a point where information is a luxury rather than an expectation.

We want to give information as often as possible, and those of us who have been posting on the forums for years now have made it quite a part of our posting routine to give a fair bit of detailed information on a regular basis. However, the recent trend of -demanding- information, or acting as if what we've put out there is somehow insufficient or substandard is a bit over the top.

Sorry guys, but it's time to take a step back and realize that a plethora of information is available about the game right now. There really isn't a shortage in the slightest. Frankly, one simply can't expect to know everything--or even most things, for that matter--about a game before one actually experiences it for themselves.

In the era of walkthrough guides being packaged with games at the store, detailed FAQs written weeks before release based on trials, betas, or demo versions of games, and powerleveling aids plastered as ads on fansites constantly, I certainly realize it's tempting to want to know everything instantly. That said, I don't think one can realistically expect us to put everything out in the open to the point where there is very little to learn, experience fresh, or explore about the game when you pick it up for the first time.

I apologize if this is a bit disappointing, but honestly I can say that I personally get a bit wary of the environment of the forums at the moment. Honestly, it's only going to lead to more disappointment for the community to set unrealistic expectations for what will happen between now and the day one is able to get their hands on the game."

• RanlawlRanlawl Member Posts: 126

this is hte kinda post that everyone in the AoC forums is getting annoyed of, its a minority of people, who usually have recently join, spreading doomsday threads trying oto cause panic, whilethe other 99% of the forums tell them they are wrong, to quit trolling, etc. Funcom has come out with information on pretty much everything so far you just have to read on their website instead of assuming

• sirespersiresper Member Posts: 317

Originally posted by Ranlawl

this is hte kinda post that everyone in the AoC forums is getting annoyed of, its a minority of people, who usually have recently join, spreading doomsday threads trying oto cause panic, whilethe other 99% of the forums tell them they are wrong, to quit trolling, etc. Funcom has come out with information on pretty much everything so far you just have to read on their website instead of assuming

Well thats a problem, people want videos, they want proof. I can grab a bum off the street and have him write words on the state of the game. He can say that this or that feature is in, that the game is just in the tweaking stage. But they are only that - words. I can't have him conjure up a video of a working game with all those features. Only someone that actually HAS a working game with those features can do that.

Words are nothing. Vids and pictures are everything. Drink Sprite.

The only ones assuming are those that say its in the game and working 'because the site said so'.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I have been following AOC as long as you did, that i am sure. And i also have enough common sense , and some experience in gaming industry.

Unfortunately , long i am not fooled or swayed by dev posts on forums. I belive only what i see , and so do many other.

Perhaps this is why so many negative posts are beggining on AOC forums.

Please correct me if i am wrong. I am sure we all can agree with one fact - game that is 3 months away from release should be largely finished by now and send out for tweaking and bug fixing. Not implementing new animations , pvp siege combat , new models...etc ( this is just a theoretical example)

But yet , 3 month before release - Funcom showcases their almost finished MMO on E3

But fails to show

1. Female models

2. Mounts

3. Player build cities

4. PvP sieges

5. Any Pvp

As I said.

Only reason not to show this things - realistically is - They do not look presentable , or worse - they do not work as they are sopposed to.

AOC also failed to be ranked best MMO of E3 , although its only competitor was POTBS ?!

Gamespy hands-on claims - combat is chaotic , and claims that game is glitchy (even on high end computer they tested it on). Eurogamer hands-on ,claims similar things...

Honestly this does not sound to good.

Again if you read this far.

I am fan of AOC , and wish it will be the best MMO and have best launch in history.

I am just concerned things are maybe not so peachy at Funcom right now

Hopefully i am wrong ....

• andyjdandyjd Member Posts: 229

I have been following AOC as long as you did, that i am sure. And i also have enough common sense , and some experience in gaming industry.
    Unfortunately , long i am not fooled or swayed by dev posts on forums. I belive only what i see , and so do many other.
    Please correct me if i am wrong. I am sure we all can agree with one fact - game that is 3 months away from release should be largely finished by now and send out for tweaking and bug fixing. Not implementing new animations , pvp siege combat , new models...etc ( this is just a theoretical example)
    But yet , 3 month before release - Funcom showcases their almost finished MMO on E3
    But fails to show
    1. Female models

2. Mounts

3. Player build cities

4. PvP sieges

5. Any Pvp
    As I said.
    Only reason not to show this things - realistically is - They do not look presentable , or worse - they do not work as they are sopposed to.
    AOC also failed to be ranked best MMO of E3 , although its only competitor was POTBS ?!
    Gamespy hands-on claims - combat is chaotic , and claims that game is glitchy (even on high end computer they tested it on). Eurogamer hands-on ,claims similar things...

I am fan of AOC , and wish it will be the best MMO and have best launch in history.

Indeed..Theres a lot of cynical gamers out there (and I'm one of them), which have been fed hype and infomation, only for it to change and be altered. Dev's can promise the earth, but until its in game, and I can see it, or play it, then I don't believe it......Which is why I'm doubtful  about AOC. 12 weeks to release, no real beta. No real info......just feels like something is wrong. I hope it isn't.

• SterktSterkt Member Posts: 27

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/1905.html?sort=date

Really, what more do you want? There is tons of movies, more than I've seen most of the other MMORPG have released.

Either way, what's the fun of playing a new game when you know everything there is to know about it. Just exploring and finding out new things is some of the fun things about any type of game.

And if you really need to be sure about everything, I think ( Please correct me if I'm mistaken) they will probably have an Open Beta before launch where you can try out the game.

• ndpunchndpunch Member Posts: 208

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/1905.html?sort=date

Really, what more do you want? There is tons of movies, more than I've seen most of the other MMORPG have released.
    Either way, what's the fun of playing a new game when you know everything there is to know about it. Just exploring and finding out new things is some of the fun things about any type of game.
    And if you really need to be sure about everything, I think ( Please correct me if I'm mistaken) they will probably have an Open Beta before launch where you can try out the game.
    This is called 'missing the point'. Funcom hasn't shown (almost) anything about their most hyped/talked/interesting feature, PvP. This thread is not about wanting to see more just for the sake of it.
  • Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

I don't know guys...seems kind of early to be crying "Doom!" and a lot of what's being said in this thread is purely speculation and assumption.  I'm withholding judgment until I get some real info on what's broken and what's working. 

But fails to show
    1. Female models

2. Mounts

3. Player build cities

4. PvP sieges

5. Any Pvp
    As I said.

they have shown femlae models and mounts in videos, pvp is the only lacking thing, and there are more worries in a MMO than PvP

Originally posted by siresper

Well thats a problem, people want videos, they want proof. I can grab a bum off the street and have him write words on the state of the game. He can say that this or that feature is in, that the game is just in the tweaking stage. But they are only that - words. I can't have him conjure up a video of a working game with all those features. Only someone that actually HAS a working game with those features can do that.

The only ones assuming are those that say its in the game and working 'because the site said so'.

if your just trusting videos, then thats also a flaw, anyone can fake a video or fake pitcures, just cause it is in a video or in pictures still doesnt mean it is true, oyu have to experience it for yourself, and also there are videos on pretty much all the features except PvP

• sirespersiresper Member Posts: 317

Originally posted by siresper

if your just trusting videos, then thats also a flaw, anyone can fake a video or fake pitcures, just cause it is in a video or in pictures still doesnt mean it is true, oyu have to experience it for yourself, and also there are videos on pretty much all the features except PvP

If Funcom made a fake video or picture, eventually someone would find out about it, and it would be direct proof they lied to the playerbase. They would never do such a thing. Words are far easier to deceive and get away with.

As for videos of the features. I'll list the ones I've seen, and the ones I haven't. Please let me know if I missed any (although I'm pretty confident I've seen them all).

Seen:

Basic Combat/Combos

Basic Spellcasting

Mounts/Mounted Combat

One High Level Dungeon (though dumbed down for demo purposes)

Basic siege weapon (trebuchet)

Character Creation

First few minutes of newbie island

Haven't seen:

Regular PVP

Bar brawls

Player Cities Building/Development

Border Kingdom Building/Development

Border Kingdom City Sieges

Tradeskills

Spellweaving

And while I wouldn't expect this, I would also like to have seen: