Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much do you plan on spending to upgrade for this game?

metalfoxusmetalfoxus Member Posts: 805
Well, right now i have a Athalon XP2400+, 512 DDR pc2100 RAM, ATI Radeon 9600XT, and a 18 gig HDD image I dont think this will run well on EQ2, so i am gonna work my ass of in the summer and get maybe $600-$700 for upgrades. Like, a P4 3.0gHz, new top of the line mobo, no new graphics card, and the rest on RAM and another HDD. Im just wondering, is anyone else planning on doing some extra upgrading to their comp for EQ2? I dont care how much i spend on this game, it looks to be the best MMORPG coming out.

Comments

• raptorfalconraptorfalcon Member Posts: 126
    Im planning on spending about $150.. 100 for a video card and about 50 for a 256 ram stick.. I am cheap :P

• |MaguS||MaguS| Member Posts: 317

Im planning to spend nothing "for" this game. My system is well over the recommended spec's, I do plan on getting a new graphics card but its mainly because I want to, not need to...

Current Spec:
    AMD64 3200
    1GB DDR400
    Radeon 9800 pro

Getting myself a Radeon x800 XT PE.

• VyktorVyktor Member Posts: 46
    Have 2 systems to upgrade (mine and wifes) and only play on spending about 400 CAN for new video cards, all of ourother specs are in the middle of minimum and recommended with 1.76 Ghz processors, 768 MB RAM, 120 GB HDD's, Audigy Sound Cards, etc...., but the video cards don't do the vertex shaders and junk.  Think it'll be worth it, will piece part upgrade as needed. image

• metalfoxusmetalfoxus Member Posts: 805
    you really think i should just buy another 512 DDR pc2100 stick of RAM and not do all that upgrading? i dunno.... if i get in the beta and see how my comp performs, THEN ill decide ^^ (waits for beta image)

• TBH-TBH- Member Posts: 21
    As much money it takes to upgrade my computer.

TBH-Commander

TBH-Commander

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

I'm buying a new computer anyways this summer so i figure i might as well pimp it out for future games (EQ2 being one of them) here's my setup:

AMD Athlon 64, 3400+ w/ Hyper threading technology.

2 GB Ram (512x4)

120 GB Hard drive, 80 GB second hard drive

ATI Radeon X800.

I was gonna go for the GeForce 6800 Ultra but that card is mad expensive.

NVidia - The way it is meant to be played

ATI - The way it really plays

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Nada .If it does not run on my R9800pro then can't be bothered till i am ready to build a PCI-E mobo next year.

Point is if struggles badly on a R9800pro i will overclock it.If it still struggles badly then it means i will still lag with a X800 or FX6800 to a fair degree which would be fustrating after spending $500 - $600 on a new card.

So i will just wait for PCI-E and hope that does the trick.

If it runs fine on the R9800pro then goodie can have a 6 months of good fun then upgrade.I am not letting any game rush me to upgrade earlier then i planned.

• NeoskNeosk Member Posts: 2
    Wasn't the gameplay video in the "GSLive at E3 2004: Demonstration" trailer at gamespot run on a laptop? I would think just about any new pc with at least a 9800pro would run eq2 better then a laptop would.

PSN: Key2001

• Smelly_ArmorSmelly_Armor Member UncommonPosts: 571

The only thing I'll be upgrading is increasing my RAM from 512mb to 1gb. I'll be building a new system this fall or at the latest, first of next year.

BTW, here are the minimun system requirements for EQ2:

Everquest 2 FAQ

-Operating System: Windows 98/2000/ME/XP
    -Processor: 1GHz or greater
    -RAM: 512 MB
    -Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible. Pixel shader and vertex shader compatible hardware with 64 MB of texture memory
    -Sound Card: DirectSound compatible audio hardware

These are my current systems specs:

PC Chips M825VXX motherboard

AMD Duron 1.6ghz

Samsung 512mb DDR SDRAM

ATI Radeon 9200

This runs fine on all current games. I'll be ok until I build my new system too, but I'll have to run some of the new games, like EQ2, at mid to lower-mid settings.

"The probability of someone watching you is porportional to the stupidity of your action." Hartley's 1st Law

• DaShizDaShiz Member Posts: 375

Magus, if you are trying to get the top of the line video card out right now, which it appears that you are, you may want to reference system speeds with the x800 XT with the FX6800. I was looking at getting a better video card and in the mojoraty of the testing that I have found the FX6800 was able to handle a little bit more than the x800 XT, and was able to pump out better fps. I think the only game that it under performed in comparison with the x800 was Far Cry. But you might want to check some sites for yourself.

Your scathing wit and daring insight into the turbulent political crags of the internet are shining beacons of truth and purity for the slight remaining masses of visionless hypocriticial sheep who bleat at the thought of your glory

• DrakolDrakol Member Posts: 56
       well i guess just like every other game i have played i will spend whatever is required to get both my pc's running it at a level i am happy with.

Drakol
    "you can't be right all the time. thats why i'm here."-Drakol

Drakol

• steelscoutsteelscout Member UncommonPosts: 103

Gonna spend about 800+ $ 'cuz I have to build an almost completely new system the one way or the other.
    I hope to be ready for EQ2 that way... ::::02::

"All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?"

so i should be okay? just buy another 512 DDR and maybe another hard drive?

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Originally posted by Neosk
    Wasn't the gameplay video in the "GSLive at E3 2004: Demonstration" trailer at gamespot run on a laptop? I would think just about any new pc with at least a 9800pro would run eq2 better then a laptop would.

Indeed it was. It will run on a 9800 Pro for sure. EQ2 gathers data from your pc then configures it the way it would run best with your specs.

NVidia - The way it is meant to be played

ATI - The way it really plays

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Ran on a laptop?Bah and folks here were getting me worried i need a CRAY for it then.My desktop is more then fine for EQ2 then.So like i said before spending nada to upgrade for EQ2 hehe.

• DrakolDrakol Member Posts: 56

Originally posted by hercules

Ran on a laptop?Bah and folks here were getting me worried i need a CRAY for it then.My desktop is more then fine for EQ2 then.So like i said before spending nada to upgrade for EQ2 hehe.

like the other ppl stated it was a video just like is stated not actual gameplay.

Drakol

Drakol

• IplayffxinowIplayffxinow Member Posts: 14

Right now I'm runnin

256mb Geforce FX 5600
    Pent IV 1.7 GHz
    512 DDR 4200

Hopefully I will get a 2.5 Pent IV and 2 gigs of ram by August.

yeah, im not going to do any "heavy" upgrading to my system now. Might just get 2 more sticks of 512 and another Hard Drive. Ill save the rest of the cash for next year and buy all the best parts image

• ThrashThrash Member Posts: 3

Hopefully, I should only have to make a few changes to my system to run EQ2.

I currently have:

AMD 2500 barton

1 gig of DDR

SATA Raid 0 with 80 gig 7200rpm (didn't want to spend the extra for the Raptors)

Geforce 5200 128

Sound Blaster Audigy

I think the only thing I will need is a better video card.  Even though the one I have meets the recommended specs... I think I'm gonna go ahead and get a better one.  Maybe wait till the 5950 ultra goes down in price within the next few months.  Not sure if I want to fork out the $ for the 6800.

After I get a better video card, then I will looking at getting a 64-bit cpu and mobo.  But that will be down the road since a 64-bit OS (XP-64 or when longhorn comes out) is not that easy to get. 

• CrestguardCrestguard Member Posts: 112
    I got lucky and found the computer show at my county last weekend to be super helpful and for $799 I got a 3.0GHz, 1GB computer with 80GB hard drive and a geforce fx 5200 256mb and such.  I didn't upgrade to the sound blaster audgiy because it wasn't worth it to me.  They wanted 96 bucks for something that I don't think will even make much of a difference.  If I'm wrong..."Maybe" i'll fix it.  But only if they make the background music as amazing as it was in the first game.  The sounds of Kelethin are hard to beat...
  • LinchpinLinchpin Member Posts: 82

well... nothing really. I think what I have can run it just fine. P 3.0, 1500 400 mhz DDR Ram, radeon 9800 pro.

I might consider getting the new Radeon but yeesh. Talk about expensive image

• EowadeEowade Member Posts: 41
    I am purchasing a better video card and more RAM.  I make the minimun plus, I just want better

Guild Historian
    The Technicians of Justice

screw it! im gonna work my ass off for ultimate upgrades!!!! (echo...)image

heh, all i need is $637!!!

Im getting a P4 HT 3.0 gHz, new top of the line mobo for it, 1 gig of pc3200 ram, and a nice 80gig HDD image

• BlackoBlacko Member Posts: 5

overhauling everything for a decent FPS rate. Just for EQ II (and i have yet to play EQ ><..this game just looks soooo nice).

Getting a AMD XP 3200, r9800 pro, new case, new mobo, about 1-2 gigs in ram.

so far i just bought the case (i feel like a nerd that i spent extra for lights in it). I still have another 4-500 to go I think to spend.

btw, my r key doesnt work (have to keep copy/pasting it, so sorry if they're not all there. Suprising how many times it is used)

current system is a P4, 1.7 GHZ with 512 megs rdram and a 9600 pro.

Do y'all think the 9600 pro is worth upgading to the 9800 pro?

meh, if you want... Im still fine with my 9600XT and plan to keep using it for another 6 months before buying a new card, i want the prices to go down ^^