Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Point and Click Movement...enough said...

GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
No game should take a step backwards like that. 

Comments

• isupremeisupreme Member Posts: 6

If your premise is that point and click is restrictive ........ lately ive been realizing how the choice to use it has had a beautiful result.  

Consider the massive amounts of information wasd  involves.   Choosing PnC allowed the developers of this game to unique decisions resulting in improved gameplay.   As i have been beta testing i have started to see  that like  any endevour......the key is what you do with your medium.    I believe Wish is poised to deliver an impressive experience for many players  because they can do more for your game experience than any wasd system could hope for!  If you want more content less skilling more content and more content.........  image  Wish for it.

• puffdragonpuffdragon Member Posts: 122
    personally, point and click aint all that bad.

• planirplanir Member Posts: 3

Initial it takes some getting used to.

But one of the nice things about it is that you can click then as your running you can look around. Its like being on autorun (say in ac2) but you dont have to re-aim yourself as you run. Plus you can chat, get ready for battle etc

You need to give it a good try before you can say "nuff said" 

• SamuraiEtoSamuraiEto Member Posts: 50
    Point and click has had it's successes though... I'm not one for it either, but to call it a step backwards is too much imho. From Diablo 2 to Lineage 2, it's working for many people. If, like those games, it at least gives the option for a couple other control methods then it should be safe in it's chances of success in the realm of control.

• jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

I like point and click.  It allows me to play the game with one hand if I wanted to.

And as said above, it creates alot less lag, because you don't have to transfer nearly as much info.

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

• CeronimCeronim Member Posts: 12
    errm Point & Click ... thats not good :/ i'm still interested but thats a bit strange :)

Admin of the german Mourning-Fansite
    Mourning-World

• AliaaAliaa Member Posts: 8
    I thought the same thing when I started the first Beta of Wish .. It didn't take long before I absolutely loved it .Its hard to describe but the Pathfinding is amazing.I'm not so sure I'll ever want to play a Game again that has WASD movement..I guess the Ideal would be a choice of either but like someone else said ..It cuts down on Lag in a major way .So P&C to me is the way of the Future not the Past

• knightrangerknightranger Member Posts: 9
    point & click. wtf?!?! is it like 1997?!

• stanyerstanyer Member Posts: 4
    no its like 2004

• GilGadalGilGadal Member Posts: 29

Personally I like PnC.

I come from the RPG genre playing Diablo both 1 and 2 being my top favorite games.  Also playing Sacred.  Although the style of game and perspective is much different I tried out Morrowind and I really didn't like the movement with keys...So I have avioded it since.  I just find it too slow.  I rather movement with keys for FPS.

So I am all for the PnC and can't wait to test it out next phase image

ChK ';..;' Gil ';..;' ChK
    Leader of the Crimson Hell Knights
    www.crimsonhellknights.tk

• PashtaPashta Member Posts: 19
      Don't worry folks, there's still an auto run.  :P

- Lady Pashta

- Lady Pashta

• MeppeMeppe Member Posts: 4
    I prefer pnc anyway over wasd.. and what ive heard its handled very well in wish. and besides wasd causes more lag too

• DrDolittleDrDolittle Member Posts: 3

I have played UO, with it’s mouse based movement system, for 54 months and like it very well. I tried Horizons, which uses the "w-a-s-d" keys for movement, and did not like that system at all. I hated having to use my left hand for movement and having that hand "tied" to one spot on the keyboard. That was one of the reasons I left Horizons after only three weeks.
    Personally, I consider a "point and click" mouse movement capability for Wish to be a very big plus. Wish is a RPG computer game, not some kid’s console game with one of those funky left-hand-movement-only controllers.
    A good game should give the user a choice of which movement method the user preferred though.
    Just my 2gp worth...
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

I think PnC= lazy programming.

We keep getting told PnC is the answer to massive number of people been in one area at one time.

However,games like planetside which regularly have 300+ in a small area seems to have no such problems with WASD.DAoC a 3 year old game with seiges have been using WASD with no problems.

Also to say PnC works in wish means you did not play the last stage of it(alpha or beta or whatever they called it).It worked horribly.I could not catch hold of anything due to the useless PnC pathing.

• ScarNarrucScarNarruc Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by hercules
    I think PnC= lazy programming.We keep getting told PnC is the answer to massive number of people been in one area at one time.However,games like planetside which regularly have 300+ in a small area seems to have no such problems with WASD.DAoC a 3 year old game with seiges have been using WASD with no problems.Also to say PnC works in wish means you did not play the last stage of it(alpha or beta or whatever they called it).It worked horribly.I could not catch hold of anything due to the useless PnC pathing.

Quite possibly the most ignorant and uniformed post yet.

It's not the answer for getting massive number of people in one area at one time. Either you can't read or can't understand what they are telling you. It's their answer for getting everyone on the same server.

Neither Planetside nor DAoC are trying to put all their people on one server. Come back and talk when they get 10,000+ people on a single server....without zones. And even if there will be a game someday going for all people on the same server, they will STILL save TREMENDOUSLY on the server/client trafic by having PnC.

And to say what you did about their pathfinding questions your very statement of even being in their Beta because even people who hated the game, hated the PnC movement all still agree it was the most advanced pathfinding to date in an MMOG. So maybe it's actually you who havent played the last stage of their Beta.

• DeihlanosDeihlanos Member Posts: 31

Point and Click aint bad at all... it's just a different way of doing things.  Just because other games use "wasd" doesnt mean this needs to.

I've been using P&C for forever in Ragnarok, easy to get used to.  And EVE is click-tastic.

Originally posted by ScarNarruc

I think PnC= lazy programming.

We keep getting told PnC is the answer to massive number of people been in one area at one time.
    However,games like planetside which regularly have 300+ in a small area seems to have no such problems with WASD.DAoC a 3 year old game with seiges have been using WASD with no problems.
    Also to say PnC works in wish means you did not play the last stage of it(alpha or beta or whatever they called it).It worked horribly.I could not catch hold of anything due to the useless PnC pathing.

Quite possibly the most ignorant and uniformed post yet.

It's not the answer for getting massive number of people in one area at one time. Either you can't read or can't understand what they are telling you. It's their answer for getting everyone on the same server.

Neither Planetside nor DAoC are trying to put all their people on one server. Come back and talk when they get 10,000+ people on a single server....without zones. And even if there will be a game someday going for all people on the same server, they will STILL save TREMENDOUSLY on the server/client trafic by having PnC.

And to say what you did about their pathfinding questions your very statement of even being in their Beta because even people who hated the game, hated the PnC movement all still agree it was the most advanced pathfinding to date in an MMOG. So maybe it's actually you who havent played the last stage of their Beta.

If you are buying into what they say about PnC been needed for this then thats your problem.

As for your statement that people say its the most advanced pathing to date please show me the link.

If you were not in beta you don't know anything simple as that .Rather then insult me show us a non developer link that says this.

Rather then be a fanboi who obviously has never played the game .Keep quiet about your ignorance and let those that ACTUALLY were in beta speak.

Enuff said.

You're the one being an completely ignorant about the pathfinding and I'm the one who wasnt in beta?

Newsflash, not only was I in Beta 1, but I'm in Beta 1.5 right now, so that would make you the one who doesnt know anything. And you continue to prove it by basing your uniformed opinions off of old (OVER SIX MONTHS OLD) information that you saw (or might not of seeing how you're unexplicably saying their pathfinding sucks).

How about you stop being an uniformed troll and do your own homework for yourself. Plenty of people who hated the PnC spoke glowingly about the Pathfinding...even in beta one. Go find Thorongil who was even tossed from beta 1.0, or Xavori, or Linnet, or joae or tarabelle, all names that you should remember from beta 1.0 (that is IF you were actually in it) and tons others that hated PnC but praised the pathfinding.

And if I'm sounding like a fanboi, it's obvious you're sounding like someone who logged in for 2 seconds said "boo hoo hoo, PnC" and logged back out. Yeah, you're a real beta tester you are.

Seeing how you dont seem to be in Beta 1.5 then you havent seen the upgraded NDL engine, or the new textures for just about everything, the contrast changes, the skill changes, the fact that what you saw (for 5 min) in combat, death, looting, all were placeholders, that rogues werent even in yet, or that crafting wasnt even in yet, that the map has gone enormous teraforming...etc.

Seems like I know more about not only the current beta, but beta 1.0. Go figure. Then by that account you arent in the current beta. That would make you a hypocrite and have to take your own advice....Keep quiet about your ignorance and let those that ACTUALLY are in beta speak.

Originally posted by ScarNarruc

You're the one being an completely ignorant about the pathfinding and I'm the one who wasnt in beta?
    Newsflash, not only was I in Beta 1, but I'm in Beta 1.5 right now, so that would make you the one who doesnt know anything. And you continue to prove it by basing your uniformed opinions off of old (OVER SIX MONTHS OLD) information that you saw (or might not of seeing how you're unexplicably saying their pathfinding sucks).
    How about you stop being an uniformed troll and do your own homework for yourself. Plenty of people who hated the PnC spoke glowingly about the Pathfinding...even in beta one. Go find Thorongil who was even tossed from beta 1.0, or Xavori, or Linnet, or joae or tarabelle, all names that you should remember from beta 1.0 (that is IF you were actually in it) and tons others that hated PnC but praised the pathfinding.
    And if I'm sounding like a fanboi, it's obvious you're sounding like someone who logged in for 2 seconds said "boo hoo hoo, PnC" and logged back out. Yeah, you're a real beta tester you are.
    Seeing how you dont seem to be in Beta 1.5 then you havent seen the upgraded NDL engine, or the new textures for just about everything, the contrast changes, the skill changes, the fact that what you saw (for 5 min) in combat, death, looting, all were placeholders, that rogues werent even in yet, or that crafting wasnt even in yet, that the map has gone enormous teraforming...etc.
    Seems like I know more about not only the current beta, but beta 1.0. Go figure. Then by that account you arent in the current beta. That would make you a hypocrite and have to take your own advice....Keep quiet about your ignorance and let those that ACTUALLY are in beta speak.

Clearly the ranting of a fanboi so go aheadimage

I would not even bother with another beta in wish because i already play 2 pay to play and have beta in dragons empire which is a vastly superior game so a beta slot for me will be totally wasted anyhow for this game.

I think the game is horrible you think its heaven,guess thats why we all have opinon.

My opinon is boring,terrible movement,poor graphics for a game coming out in 2005.

You opinon is <INSERT>

So readers can either listen to you or me or form their own view .

• GilGadalGilGadal Member Posts: 29

I will form my own view as I still have high hopes for this game, it has taken my interest more the Dragon Empires (except I love the fact DE has a strong guild base about the game)

Either way I would still like to try them both along with WoW and PotBS and see which one i think is the best.

Your actually in the DE beta?? sweet how is it going I am still waiting to be accepted if they ever accept any more testers image been waiting so long for that game...not as long as some but still they said they were bringing in a heap of new testers as the weeks go by and then after they say that there is nothing said of it again for ages.  Let me play either of those games I am dying down here image

Clearly the ranting of a fanboi so go aheadimage
    I would not even bother with another beta in wish because i already play 2 pay to play and have beta in dragons empire which is a vastly superior game so a beta slot for me will be totally wasted anyhow for this game.
    I think the game is horrible you think its heaven,guess thats why we all have opinon.
    My opinon is boring,terrible movement,poor graphics for a game coming out in 2005.
    You opinon is <INSERT>
    So readers can either listen to you or me or form their own view .

You're opinion is somehow more valid than someone elses when you think you've seen more of the game, but when that person has actually seen more of the game than you (and a hell of a lot more recent), somehow the opinions are equally valid. Gosh, seems like troll logic. Being a hypocrite must be so much fun! ::::40::

Originally posted by GilGadal

I will form my own view as I still have high hopes for this game, it has taken my interest more the Dragon Empires (except I love the fact DE has a strong guild base about the game)
    Either way I would still like to try them both along with WoW and PotBS and see which one i think is the best.
    Your actually in the DE beta?? sweet how is it going I am still waiting to be accepted if they ever accept any more testers image been waiting so long for that game...not as long as some but still they said they were bringing in a heap of new testers as the weeks go by and then after they say that there is nothing said of it again for ages.  Let me play either of those games I am dying down here image

Yep best to form your own view because here you have me saying it sucks anothewr saying its great.

Anyhow about DE well it is still hush hush .Only thing i can say is its main worry is EQ2 and WoW but then again is that not the worry of any game thats not EQ2 or WoWimage

• Taagnik`ZurTaagnik`Zur Member Posts: 12

Warcry
    "For those unaware, Wish utilizes a point and click interface. This allows for two amazing game mechanics to emerge: 1) A dramatic lack of required network traffic for player movement, and 2) Automatic pathfinding from the player's origin to their destination. The first point is nice, but the second is where Wish absolutely shines."

Gamespy
    "The pathing in the game is great, though. During our demonstration, our character stood on top of a tall tower high in a huge fortress. Then we clicked on the top of another tower far away. Our character automatically went down a ladder, ran down a set of twisty steps, went out the door, across a courtyard, into another building, up another set up stairs, and up another ladder to reach the point -- all without any more work on our part. That's nice. Of course, monsters can take advantage of the great pathing, too: when they're attacking a town, there's no easy way to hide. They get around!"

Markee Dragon
    "The pathfinding is awesome and is able to deal with some complex areas all on it's own. I was able to click at a point that was very far away and my character went around trees, walls and even other characters to get there. One click was all it took."

Tazoon.com
    Akuma: "OK the pathing was fantastic, I just prefer WASD for my MMO's with mouselook..."

I'm going to have to go with Scar on this one...seems even industry people like Warcry and Gamespy agree with him in that the consensus is the pathfinding in Wish doesn't "work horribly", as herc stated earlier.

Even Akuma who admitted not even liking PnC said the pathing was "fantastic".

To each his own though. I thought the Live Story was fantastic, and what's going on in the closed beta atm...people aren't even going to recognize a lot of the game from beta 1.

Most people who didn't like Beta 1 and are so venomous with it I've cvome to find out that they didn't participate in the Live Story, or they are just predisposed to not likeing PnC. Like I said, to each his (or her ;)) own.

Oh well. Movement systems don't make it or break games for me personally. Content and gameplay do, and Wish is shaping up to have very unique experience.

• bettermanv11bettermanv11 Member Posts: 2
    Personally I feel the point and click system on Wish is a dramatic improvement from holding in a key for long periods of time. Not only does it provide more convenience, but less stress on the server allowing for more bandwidth and support for additional users. If Wish plans to be the UMMORPG it plans to be, then they need all the bandwidth and support they can get. ^^

• GenjingGenjing Member Posts: 441

Point and click movement wouldn't work for combat systems that require real time dodging, movement and skill like that found in Tabula Rasa, D&D Online, and Darkfall. Its fine for clickfests or sandwich combat though. D&D Online for example, allows you to roll to one side, guard against attacks, while Darkfall's magic and long range attacks require actual aiming. Point and click just wouldn't work, and to me that sounds like Wish's combat will be the same old fare.

The only reason why you'd need to hold a key for a long time, is that the game has a lot of useless empty space for you to travel over. ::::40::