Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Perfect MMORPG. YOUR IDEAS

ByromByrom Member Posts: 236

What is your idea, for the perfect MMORPG? What type of content? Mulitple planets.? PvP based? Modern Warefare? Future? Past? Fantasy? ...etc.

Comments

• kel11kel11 Member Posts: 1,089

gw2

Change my mind so much I can't even trust it
    My mind change me so much I can't even trust myself

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

A futuristic setting with staff good PvP, staff that provide excellent service, a bit of modern music for sounds, over 100 skills to choose from and over 50 classes. And that its free, and can be run on any computer around the world without any trouble.

Btw i doubt this will ever happen just came to my head.

?

• MeonMeon Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by kel11
    gw2
  • LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I always liked the idea of an MMORPG based around "WW2 Era" Planes. Same flight mechanics as Battlefield 1942's planes. It could take place in an alternate future post WW2 where the Germans got the A-Bomb First or something. No real classes, but rather the player chooses which line of work they want to be in just by doing it and getting better at it with practice. If you want to ship cargo for money you buy yourself a cargo plane and fly it from one outpost to another. Another "Class" could be players who buy themselves fighter planes and hire themselves out to the cargo runners to protect them from another "Class" of players who also have fighter planes and use them like pirates to take out the cargo planes and steal the goods on the long trip from outpost to outpost where there is no law. This is really more of an MMO than an MMORPG and I don't think we will see the kind of technology that can support this for at least another decade.

Basically this would be 3000-5000 players playing an FPS including all sorts of vehicles and other game mechanics seen in MMORPGs on the same server possibly at the same time.

I would also hope that getting shot down or crashing your plane(which can be done as easily as in BF1942) would mean either losing it permanently or putting a lot of money into it(Obviously less than it originally cost) to get it fixed. No loading window short cuts when taking off or landing or getting in and out of your plane. Everything is real time and everything is twitch. They might even throw in a few floating cities a la "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow".

Anyway, that is the way I would like to see future games go. Sandbox+FPS+MMO+MMORPG Game Mechanics(Economy, Crafting, etc...)

*I found 2 posts I made in the Developer's Corner Forums  a few years back. The first one goes into more detail on what the Cargo Running/Pirate/Mercenary mechanic would be like and the second is an Idea I had for a Sci-Fi MMORPG. However the major mechanic of the Sci-Fi idea could be used in any type of MMORPG.

Cargo Running: www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/61612 

Sci-Fi Idea: www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/55653 (I had forgotten how much I liked this idea regarding alt char slots)

• MeonMeon Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by Laserwolf
    I always liked the idea of an MMORPG based around "WW2 Era" Planes. Same flight mechanics as Battlefield 1942's planes. It could take place in an alternate future post WW2 where the Germans got the A-Bomb First or something. No real classes, but rather the player chooses which line of work they want to be in just by doing it and getting better at it with practice. If you want to ship cargo for money you buy yourself a cargo plane and fly it from one outpost to another. Another "Class" could be players who buy themselves fighter planes and hire themselves out to the cargo runners to protect them from another "Class" of players who also have fighter planes and use them like pirates to take out the cargo planes and steal the goods on the long trip from outpost to outpost where there is no law. This is really more of an MMO than an MMORPG and I don't think we will see the kind of technology that can support this for at least another decade.
    Basically this would be 3000-5000 players playing an FPS including all sorts of vehicles and other game mechanics seen in MMORPGs on the same server possibly at the same time.
    I would also hope that getting shot down or crashing your plane(which can be done as easily as in BF1942) would mean either losing it permanently or putting a lot of money into it(Obviously less than it originally cost) to get it fixed. No loading window short cuts when taking off or landing or getting in and out of your plane. Everything is real time and everything is twitch. They might even throw in a few floating cities a la "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow".
    Anyway, that is the way I would like to see future games go. Sandbox+FPS+MMO+MMORPG Game Mechanics(Economy, Crafting, etc...)

you mean like.. World War II Online?

Originally posted by Meon

you mean like.. World War II Online?

Not really. I'm talking fantasy for one, and also the game mechanics would be geared toward MMORPGs much more than World War II Online was. The only similarities would be the massive map, and maybe the weapons and vehicles(Though the game I am thinking of would include recycled WW2 Weapons and Vehicles).

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

My perfect MMO would have some things I've seen and a few things I've always thought might work...

It would have a setting that totally appeals to role-playing.  It lends itself to it through excellent character development and really interesting story line.  I feel like this is missing from a majority of new games these days.  It's almost like a left out goal put in at the very end of development, if hardly at all.

It would have beautiful scenery, great looking characters, armor, weapons (and lots of them), and no cartoony graphics.  I like a good fantasy setting, but can't stand it looking like a cartoon.

I've always thought there is something that I haven't found in a game yet that might work.  It's this:  what if instead of having a long drawn out process to get to max level, instead the trek to max level took maybe a week or so, even for a casual player.  At that point the game has tons of content.  I'm talk 98% of the content is max level content.  The first newb levels are just "get to know your character" levels, then everyone is at the top TOGETHER and doing the content there.  I've always thought this would do away with the loneliness that everyone encounters in older games these days once everyone has maxed out on a server who are veterans and don't want to go back and create new characters.  With this process people wouldn't mind going back and that goal of getting in with your friends wouldn't be something that takes months to do.  Oh, and that upper level content would be amazing.  I'm talking dungeons that are doable and ones that are notorious for eating groups.

Absolutely, positively, without compromise, NO big raids.  I can't stand them.  There's nothing less fun to me than a large raid group.  They're chaotic and I don't even join them anymore.  All it ever turns into is a big fight or someone going link dead and the whole raid having to wait, and there's just no real strategy whatsoever.  I want content that is suitable for a single group to maybe two full groups max.  That way people can get to know each other, strategy is used, and things are just more fun.

Good interesting mobs.  Ones that are friggin scary and that are strategically placed to make you jump and be afraid to turn that next corner.  Oh, and please do not recycle the same mobs that I saw at level 5, make them bigger on scale, and give them a new name. 

And lastly, I want a game with excellent A.I.  Why is this so left out in today's MMO's?  I want the mobs to think, to try to trick me, and to change plans when my group changes.  Oh, and I've noticed something else about really cool A.I.  The mobs need to give you some sort of feedback as to what they're thinking.  Some voice feedback is good.  I've noticed this in EQ2 and it adds tons to the mobs.  If they get scared have them yell, "Fallback, we're being squashed!".  Or if they plan on taking out my mage have them react, "Take out the squishy".  I love that. 

===============================

• naldricnaldric Member UncommonPosts: 909

For me it would have to be a Universe scaled pvp Spore like game, where u create a race of "things" and start an empire to colonize all the other!  

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

SWG in EQ2 format with talking NPC's and quests then space like EVE.

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

A steampunk universe.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Galaxy sized world set in the Starcraft Universe and modeled as a persistent mmorts.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

not combat centered

make a world, a full functioning world, where combat is just a part of it, and i can do whatever the hell i want from their

thats my perfect MMO

Originally posted by b0rderline99

not combat centered
    make a world, a full functioning world, where combat is just a part of it, and i can do whatever the hell i want from their
    thats my perfect MMO
    What MMO Devs don't understand is that PVP Lovers want the above system more than they want a Combat Oriented Game like WoW. You can't really be a hero or a villian if all other players are also fighters in one way or another. I remember in UO's glory days the rush I would get when I had the chance to save a defenseless miner or craftsman from a PK(Player Killer). PKs also don't inspire the same fear and loathing in combat centered games.

Also games that allow for profitable character types that can include absolutely no combat skills really bring in a whole different player base than what most MMORPGs attract. Also, non-combat character types also help inspire player-driven trades including Bounty Hunting, Protection for Hire, and item gathering that can be done only in dangerous areas for Money. The only other game besides UO that I have played which seemed to include this type of system was SWG.

• ByromByrom Member Posts: 236

I agree. Even my own Idea is'nt completely combat based. Yet it starts out that way. Once a person has finished a basic training, picking up as many, (badges) or skills,as they wish, they then serve a (hitch) or period of time, in the army of the power which controls the planet. They then can select officer candidate school, there by extending their term of service, or Hitch. Also drops they picked up during the first hitch may allow them to enter civilian life, and perform a job or open a buisness, depending on the drop, drops, they aquired. They advance, through levels of accomplishments rather than kills or time played. For instance, your sent on a mission during your first hitch. You enter these missions with an A.I. combat team, and during the mission you pick up a frying pan. Provided you have completed field survival during basic, you now could take that pan and learn new recipee's. After your hitch is up, if they have learned enough recipee's, they can at that point go into buisness, supplying food to both the A.I. and other players. Granted this is a basic example. And while they would make money from the A.I. few players would buy low level dishes. So one might go to Culinary training. Which would require having been an Officer in the militay.

I want to have these few principles applied to many professions. Agriculture, Construction, etc. For the players that make it to Captain, then funner jobs can by had, professional athlete( car racing, down hill snow skiing/snow boarding, yacht racing, or any other sports the dev team would come up with.

After a higher comand rank, or higher buisness rank, one may be a politician, movie star, scientist etc, to be determined by devs.Also one might finish first hitch and join a rebel army, or make it to officer then become a Merc for a rebel faction, or politician, or even for an organized crime syndicate. Which would be a profession choice as well, Criminal.

Anyway all of this would be on good ol planet earth. Everyone gets 2000 acres and a very rudimentary house after finishing first hitch. Go to work for a Rebel faction, complete a hitch and now have the choice of trading your home and land, for home and land in the rebel region you have now worked for. But you cant take swimming pools or any other goodies you have aquired that upgraded your property. Your starting over, in a sense, but you may have a very good reason to do so.

Well thats the very short version. The long version has to do with owning Race tracks, Aerp space Corporations, Subverting Local politicians, Monopolizing vast land area's, Being the first to colonize the moon, or the Mariana's Trench. The AI is always there, yet as you lvl, you missions begin to be against other players, and from other players. The Earth keeps spinning and boarders of country's dont change, but what occurs in them begins to be controlled by players.

Criminals may have been banana farmers, who have choosen to grow ilegal substances, and are target of rivals or governments. Or even just from a powerful Merc who just doesnt like criminals.

thats enough cant put 50 pages here but thats the basics.

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

Originally posted by Laserwolf

Originally posted by b0rderline99

not combat centered
    thats my perfect MMO
    What MMO Devs don't understand is that PVP Lovers want the above system more than they want a Combat Oriented Game like WoW. You can't really be a hero or a villian if all other players are also fighters in one way or another. I remember in UO's glory days the rush I would get when I had the chance to save a defenseless miner or craftsman from a PK(Player Killer). PKs also don't inspire the same fear and loathing in combat centered games.

Also games that allow for profitable character types that can include absolutely no combat skills really bring in a whole different player base than what most MMORPGs attract. Also, non-combat character types also help inspire player-driven trades including Bounty Hunting, Protection for Hire, and item gathering that can be done only in dangerous areas for Money. The only other game besides UO that I have played which seemed to include this type of system was SWG.

These were the reasons i was in love with runescape "back in the day" (and a few times a year brave the flurry of noob-calling to expirience)

i really regret that i missed UO in its heyday however, it seems like such a deep game (and has a lot that i would have liked) im just graphics and WASD jaded i suppose (another reason im not still playing runescape)

but ya, everything is just more meaingfull in these types of games, its not just "OmG Im LeVeL 30 and your level 15, so im better"

its like "well im level 10 here, level 30 here, level 40 here, and your level....." there is no clear cut deliniation between "good" and "bad"

plus i really enjoy these style of games because there is just so much to do! say i get bored of doing quests (aka killing stuff) in a combat game the alternative is to do a dungeon (aka still killing stuff)

whereas in a "world" game my alternatives is to make stuff, protect people like you mentioned, try a new skill i havent used yet, often times there is housing and such activities i can work on, and the beauty of it is that im not playing "filler" content that is just put there so the developers can say it is, im doing something that is equally as productive as combat, rather than a combt grind game where if you arent fighting, you arent getting anywhere

i also must wholeheartedly agree about the whole PVP has more meaning, and the like.  In a combat game, PVP basically comes down to go pick someone you think you can beat who is also training combat.  There is none of the overlapping of other skills/professions/facets to the game.