Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

characters for sale

i was just wondering if there are rally players who sell their high level characters and where can one find them....is it legal or ellegal? just askingimage

:=

:=

Comments

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Yes there are really players who sell off their characters. But.. Dude dont do that.. Your taking all the fun out of the game.. You dont have fun if you can kill everything the very second you start... The fun comes when you Battle an equal foe and it comes down to the Last second when you just manage to get the spell off or just get int that Criticle hit...

you'll probably find that on Ebay tho'.. and It isn't illegal.. but it should be

Just one of those days

"Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• ramadinramadin Member Posts: 1,304

High level characters for what game?  I sold 2 EQ accounts for over 1500 dollars awhile back.  So yes people do it, why people buy them though is beyond me.

Laying in bed, looking up at the stars, a single thought passed through my head. Where the fuck is my roof?

-----------------Censored------------------

• GnarledGnarled Member Posts: 566

Because they have more money than time and want to experience the end-game ?

And it isn't illegal. Just unpopular. . .

"I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If, on your journey, you should encounter God. . .
    . . . God will be cut."
    - Quentin Tarantino, Kill Bill

EQII
    Requiiem, Templar
    Neriak

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     Selling virtual characters is cool. Although buying them, now that's a different story. If i bought a virtual character i'd have to kick my own ass. image

NVidia - The way it is meant to be played

ATI - The way it really plays

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • wystanwystan Member Posts: 68

ive seen it happen on daoc and swg after the accounts are sold i never see the ppl on again

who knows what ppl do with themimage

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

The truth of the matter is its illegal unless the seller uses the right terms. You cant say you're selling the account. You have to say that your "trading" the time you spent on the character in exchange for a certain amount of money, and all game items and characters belong to *blank* company etc.

Love selling accounts. Its easy cash. And you have fun in the process.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

It is not illegal. It is against the EULA of virtually every game out there, but it does not contravene any legislation that I am aware of. There is a big difference. The terms used in the advertisement are irrelevant, except perhaps for the interim period when E-bay was still allowing it. It's semantics.

"I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If, on your journey, you should encounter God. . .
    . . . God will be cut."

EQII
    Requiiem, Templar
    Neriak

Originally posted by Gnarled
     It is not illegal. It is against the EULA of virtually every game out there, but it does not contravene any legislation that I am aware of. There is a big difference. The terms used in the advertisement are irrelevant, except perhaps for the interim period when E-bay was still allowing it. It's semantics.

. . . God will be cut."

No. It says you cannot sell their products. And you're just renting the game service from them. You can trade your time spent, in exchange for money. You arent selling the character. You are trading your time in exchange for money.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

That is called semantics. You are selling the account, this is against the EULA. You cannot waive your way out of it by calling it something else.

. . . God will be cut."

EQII
    Requiiem, Templar
    Neriak

Doesnt matter if its legalities, semantics or what. It would be legal putting it that way.

It is not illegal, that would imply that you would be charged with a crime if you sold an account.  Its just against the EULA, the worst that would happen is they ban your account.

Laying in bed, looking up at the stars, a single thought passed through my head. Where the fuck is my roof?

Originally posted by ramadin

It is not illegal, that would imply that you would be charged with a crime if you sold an account.  Its just against the EULA, the worst that would happen is they ban your account.

Selling property which is not your own but belongs to the company is against the EULA....Ya see what I'm saying?

No I dont.  I know its against the EULA, but its not a crime.  Are people telling me theres guys in prison and when someone asked them what they are in for they say "I sold my Everquest account."?  I have looked online about this subject before, and never could I find one instance of a lawsuit or criminal charges stemming from this type of breach.  I dont think one can enforce bits of data (IE: 0's and 1's) as property, how could you admiss it as evidence in court?  You could bring in a hard drive... but no one sold a hard drive.  You can put anything you want in a EULA, that doesnt mean you can enforce it.

no no no. What i'm saying is. If you have the trickiness and slyness of an lawyer. You can even by-pass the EULA without breaking it.

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

This discussiong is going into ownership rights... Well I should inform you, Characters are not you're property.. but any items, money, land, any other material things in the game being play ARE your property for instance.. GM's from a game have the right to destroy your character at anytime for a number of reasons  (which just happens to destroy any items on your person at the time.. BUT if you have items stored else where or money.. they cannot destroy it....

Also The U.S. army has Bought yes Bought numerous acres in the Game  "Th3re" for VR training................Yes they Bought it!!!

Click Here --->Just one of those days<--- Click Here

<i>ME<i>

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    <i>ME<i>

My point exactly. When you phrase it as actually not selling the account but something entirely different. Its not against the Eula!