Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape Review(Positive)

Seanhomie22Seanhomie22 Member Posts: 13

Typos REMOVED(woo)

Why it gets bad reviews:

Unlike most people who review Runescape, Ive actually played it for about two years now.  People who will play through the tutorial, get about 10 combat, then review it as 'the suckiest game ever'.  They, in a sense, are right.  The game SUCKS f2p as a noob.  The general environment of a ton of low levels moving around, scamming, lieing, giving people shit about being a "noob", SUCKS.  But after you get members and about 60-70 combat, you hit the "average" player stage, and people treat you like themselves(usually).  To be honest, if you don't like the game at the beginning, you are doomed to hate it.

"The Graphics Suck":

Not really.  They aren't exactly "Guild Wars" quality graphics. but they are defined, and clear.  As a matter of fact, Jagex has been working with that, and their new dragon graphics are pretty good. 

"This is the worst excuse for a MMORPG EVER:"

Not even.  Ive played some of the lower ranked games on the list, you know, the ones that look like 8-bit Gameboy classics.  And Runescape makes them look like shit.  If you've seen "Pirates of the Carribean: The Tale of the Black Pearl", you may have remembered the scene where Commodor Norrington[i think] took his 'effects' and said "You are without doubt the WORST pirate I've ever heard of!" Then Captain Jack Sparrow replies "Aye, but you HAVE heard of me." So it's fair to say the same thing about Runescape.

"With all the money they make, why don't they upgrade from Java!?":

The main reason that I still play Runescape, is because it works really well on my slow computer.  Which is why a LOT of people play it.  Especially kids under 16(I'm 15), who have NO income to pay for their own computer, while they use their parent's computer that is used for email and the such(hardy uses memory). That explains all the 10 year olds making videos on Youtube and Myspace running around in blue paper crown(the rare "party'hat that people would kill to own -- Through internet trading websites, at 5$ a million, thats a $2500 possession)  anyways, if they upgraded, all those people would quit, and runescape would be just as popular as the average MMORPG with better grapics. They'd have no chance with that, since theirs plenty of other games like that, and only one RS quality game.  To be honest, it's the most convienient game on the internet for people with bad computers.

"The game isn't exiting at ALL!"

Actually, the game can be pretty exiting.  The idea of PvP(PK'ing and Dueling are the games more used words )  is in two types: One On One(Single Combat), and Multi-Combat.  With Single combat, the idea is to use what you're willing to lose, but not something that leaves you defenseless(that would be cool strategy fun, but people have basically set standards).  Multi Combat is in two forms, f2p, and p2p.  There Castlewars and pking.  Castlewars is a Capture the flag game pvp, basically the idea.  F2P pking is much simpler, lets jump to clanning.  I, myself, fought in a clan called "Wolfpack", against various other clans(to show im not a noob to other rs players, Note we fought EOS twice[won once], Ran in with VR and Corruption(Fought them off good too), and Anti-Crashed the  3 DS-DI Wars every 5 months or so.) The basic idea of F2P clan pking takes a while.  Not quite as "Run in, go to places you'd find someone with good stuff, kill him, find more pk'ers, run back in in"... Its more of a "Gather up, search the wild,and fight anyone else doing that".   It actually requires quick thinking, because in that situation, the enemy clan of anywhere from 30-400 people will use a technique called "Pile'ing" and you will have to heal and try to use obstacles(hugging) at the same time.  For f2p warring, the armour is Full Rune armour, Swordfish(f2p best food) strength potions, form up, spam about ur clan kicking ass, form up, go in, fight to the death, die, re-equip, and return, until everyone is clean out of supplies.  F2p warring is very uniform, kinda like the civil war, or British warfare in the 1700's, whereas P2p warring can be very flexible, and a clan of 500 could lose to a clan of just 50, if one clan has the better armour combination.

"The Music Sucks":

to be honest, who plays for music?

Now I DO have my RANTS about the game too.

Jagex: They are quite a bit stuck up

Word Filters: FUCK SHIT PISS DAMN CRAP. At one time, one of their own SKILLS, "Fletching" was blocked, because it means "to suck semen out of a mans buttcrack", No lie. Darn was filtered at one time.  The only legitamite 'cuss' word still working, is "hell" and only because it is the fast way to say "he'll"

Jagex's apparent "not caring" about free players.  They PRESSURE by leaving a DENSE amount of 'members only' stuff in nonmembers areas.  In fact, at the beginning area, there is a chest in the basement of the castle you start at... members only, and AFTER members, only required a QUEST to use.  The HAM lair near lumbridge is members only,  Alot of NPC's have a "pickpocket' selection, which is members only. The swamp south of the city features a shed only accessible by members, a TREE that can only be chopped by members(from lost city quest),  to the east of the city you start... a massive duel arena(basically the colloseum) members only for the entrance fence. South of that is a WHOLE desert, that is members only, including a chest, new npcs, a salesman, all members only. Once you get members, you have to do quests to unlock most of that stuff, leaving quite the disappointment.. but hey.. thats business.

Comments

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

you phail

• Seanhomie22Seanhomie22 Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Airspell

you phail

Hard to believe you read it all in the 15 seconds its been posted.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

not a bad review and well written for a 15 year old..

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

When you hit 60-70 in combat...

Back when i was in 6th grade, i remember playing this game. And i think i got to about 50 in combat...

And that took me 1½ year or so...

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

Originally posted by Orca

When you hit 60-70 in combat...
    Back when i was in 6th grade, i remember playing this game. And i think i got to about 50 in combat...
    And that took me 1½ year or so...

Yeah it was my first MMORPG.  I was addicted for half of 7th grade and brought my grades down to no hope. :P  Now im going into 9th, wierd, yes, but i didn't miss any grades.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Nice review i started playing when i was 13, then got to level 86 combat by 14. I quit because i wanted to try another mmorpg but since my computer sucks ass its pretty hard to.

I once was a leader of a clan hehe called senseless pkers which was based around levels 70-100, had a hell of a blast running it but running a clan is a hell lot of a hard work. We went to BFW80 and BFW61 if any of you know what they are 

I was a member for two months only, and they were the best 2 months ever I did 3 master quests.

?

• Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283

Hurray for you lad!

This game is the first MMORPG I've ever played.. yes it may look sucky, it may have scammers and liars, but hell it has anything a MMORPG should have. You don't have to stick to 1 profession, you can do whatever you like whenever you want, that's the true thing which is called ROLEPLAYING, the thing most games forget. I played this game at the 7th grade(In the Netherlands you are around 10-11 years old) and I was hooked for about 2 years. This game means alot to me, it taught me proper English and gave me a decent amount of fun.

So please, if you haven't played it for a decent time, leave these forums and never com back *echo*

• RsDemiGodRsDemiGod Member Posts: 4

A pretty good review...and WAY better than the outdated ones stickied to this forum.

OP:Recently they moved the party hall to free worlds,and there is a bank in lumbridge on the top floor.

You other folks that haven't played in the last year or so should come back and give it a try now,There have been quite a few updates skewed toward  "sometimes"  players.

And to be honest I enjoy reading the well thought out posts of a few of you...You would do well in the RS forums.

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117

Good games get good the minute you start playing them. Runescape gets good at higher levels, if not ever. That's not good. That's bad.

• Greenday6212Greenday6212 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Seanhomie22

Why it gets bad reviews:
    Unlike most people who review runescape, Ive actually played it for about two years now.  People who will play through the tutorial, get about 10 combat, then review it the suckiest game ever.  They, in a sense, are right.  The game SUCKS f2p as a noob.  The general environment of a ton of low levels moving around, scamming, lieing, giving people shit about being a "noob" SUCKS.  But after you get members and about 60-70 combat, you hit the "average" player stage, and people treat you like themselves(usually). 
    "The Graphics Suck":
    Not really.  They aren't exactly "Guild Wars" quality graphics. but they are defined, and clear.  As a matter of fact, Jagex has been working witht hat, and their new dragon graphics are pretty good. 
    Not even.  Ive played some of the lower ranked games on the list, you know, the ones that look like 8-bit Gameboy classics.  And Runescape makes them look like shit.  If you've seen "Pirates of the Carribean: The Tale of the Black Pearl", you may have remembered the scene where Commodor Norrington[i think] took his 'effects' and said "You are without doubt the WORST pirate I've ever heard of!" Then Captain Jack Sparrow replies "Aye, but you HAVE heard of me." So it's fair to say the same thing about runescape.
    "With all the money they make, why don't they upgrade from java!?":
    The main reason that I still play Runescape, is because it works really well on my slow computer.  Which is why a LOT of people play it.  Especcially kids under 16(I'm 15), who have NO income to pay for their own computer, while they use their parent's computer that is used for email and the such(hardy uses memory). That explains all the 10 year olds making videos on Youtube and Myspace running around in blue paper crown(the rare "party'hat that people would kill to own -- Through internet trading websites, at 5$ a million, thats a $2500 possession)  anyways, if they upgraded, all those people would quit, and runescape would be just as popular as the average MMORPG with better grapics. They'd have no chance with that, since theirs plenty of other games like that, and only one RS quality game.  To be honest, its the most convienient game on the internet for people with bad computers.
    Actually, the game can be pretty exiting.  The idea of PvP(PKing and Duelling are the games more used words )  is in two types One On One(Single Combat), and Multi-Combat.  With Single combat, the idea is to use what you're willing to lose, but not something that leaves you vulenerable to getting owned(that would be cool strategy fun, but people have basically set standards).  Multi Combat is in two forms, f2p, and p2p.  There Castlewars and pking.  Castlewars is a Capture the flag game pvp, nuff said.  F2P pking is much simpler, lets jump to clanning.  I, myself, fought with a clan called "Wolfpack", against various other clans(to show im not a noob to other rs players, Note we fought EOS twice[won once], Ran in with VR and Corruption, and Anti-Crashed the DS-DI War) The basic idea of F2P clan pking takes a while.  Not quite as "Run in, fight to the death, run back in"... Its more of a "Gather up, search the wild,and fight anyone else doing that".   It actually requires quick thinking, because in that situation, the enemy clan of anywhere from 30-400 people will use a technique called "Piling" and you will have to heal and try to use obstacles(hugging) at the same time.  For f2p warring, the armour is Full Rune armour, Swordfish(f2p best food) strength potions, form up, spam about ur clan kicking ass, form up, go in, fight to the death, die, re-equip, and return, until everyone is clean out of supplies.  F2p warring is very uniform, kinda like the civil war, or British warfare in the 1700's.
    "The Music Sucks":
    to be honest, who plays for music?
    Word Filters: FUCK SHIT PISS DAMN CRAP. At one time, one of their own SKILLS, "Fletching" was blocked, because it means "to suck semen out of a mans buttcrack", No lie. Darn was filtered at one time.  The only legitamite 'cuss' word still working, is "hell" and only because it is the fast way to say "he'll"
    Jagexes apparent "not caring" about free players.  They mock you by leaving a DENSE amount of members only stuff in nonmembers areas.  In fac, at the beginning area, there is a chest in the basement of the castle you start at... members only, and AFTER members, only required a QUEST to use.  The HAM lair near lumbridge is members only,  All NPC's have a "pickpocket' selection, which is members only. The swamp south of the city features a shed only accessible by members, a TREE that can only be chopped by members(from lost city quest),  to the east of the city you start... a massive duel arena(basically the colloseum) members only for the entrance fence. South of that is a WHOLE desert, that is members only, including a chest, new npcs, a salesman. Once you get members, you have to do quests to unlock most of that stuff, but hey.. thats business.

You know what, just shut down this forum, that settles it, that's the best any1 could write out what runescape is, i agree with that 110% thank you seanhomie

Gr33nd/\y6212

Nice guys finish last.

Originally posted by BobCrazyton

Good games get good the minute you start playing them. Runescape gets good at higher levels, if not ever. That's not good. That's bad.
    I personally enjoyed runescape when I started out. And I enjoy it now.  Fact is, if you don't enjoy it when you start, you WON'T enjoy it at all.   It does get better as you go along, but there's really no point in trying to stress that to anyone, because no one is gonna play a game if it isn't fun when they start. 

When I  started out i got all the "noob" crap.  and scammers were just something that I didn't care about.  I was smart  enough to not get scammed.  I just enjoyed doing quests, mining with friends, making friends, and then I moved on.

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

Don't forget about Barbarian Assault. It's the most difficult minigame in the game.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
    Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

• KanaxaiKanaxai Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by Psym0n

Hurray for you lad!
    This game is the first MMORPG I've ever played.. yes it may look sucky, it may have scammers and liars, but hell it has anything a MMORPG should have. You don't have to stick to 1 profession, you can do whatever you like whenever you want, that's the true thing which is called ROLEPLAYING, the thing most games forget. I played this game at the 7th grade(In the Netherlands you are around 10-11 years old) and I was hooked for about 2 years. This game means alot to me, it taught me proper English and gave me a decent amount of fun.
    So please, if you haven't played it for a decent time, leave these forums and never com back *echo*

ditto...very nice! Took the words right out of my mouth

nice review btw

• prozspadeprozspade Member Posts: 4

I've played Runescape for three years. Member. Combat Level Ninety.

It just isn't fun anymore. I'm not saying the game is bad, but it's the worst grinding game I've ever played.

• JonnyHelfireJonnyHelfire Member Posts: 125

(to show im not a noob to other rs players, Note we fought EOS twice[won once], Ran in with VR and Corruption, and Anti-Crashed the DS-DI War) The basic idea of F2P clan pking takes a while.  Not quite as "Run in, fight

hey does DS stand for death shredders? yea i just to play runescape and i was in this clan called eoe and we pwned them once and they keeped bugging us that we cheated.. well a few of us did but they cheated too so yea there hipocrites

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by JonnyHelfire

(to show im not a noob to other rs players, Note we fought EOS twice[won once], Ran in with VR and Corruption, and Anti-Crashed the DS-DI War) The basic idea of F2P clan pking takes a while.  Not quite as "Run in, fight

hey does DS stand for death shredders? yea i just to play runescape and i was in this clan called eoe and we pwned them once and they keeped bugging us that we cheated.. well a few of us did but they cheated too so yea there hipocrites

Nope its Dark Slayers but they are retired now but they were the no 1 clanbased on clan battles, no 2 based on combat average.

?

• mmrpger77mmrpger77 Member Posts: 3

Runescape:My first mmo.Also one of the most addicting game at that time lol.It's ok and got a few good sides to it like having a house /pet, a butler.You can choose three combat types. I'll explain them each.Warrior:That was my combat style lol.You get to gave swords b axes l swords and all that other stuff. Ranger:My cousin was a ranger and he was pretty good.You get to have different types of arrows crossbows longbows and regular.Mage:the second most strongest and also the most exspensive.Like the ranger,the spells need ammo like a gun needs bullets and most of the time their pretty exspensive. So the bottom line is that all of them are good but it depends on your style to decide which one is the best.

• napalmninjanapalmninja Member UncommonPosts: 114

well this was my first mmo and i loved it then but now that ive played others i dont like this one cuz the community always sux i was combat lvl 80 and people still hated me theres no guild system  and no class system really so its just the basics guy with bow sword or staff so i quit and played darkeden which i loved problem is i was like level 30 shoulda been like 40 cuz of all the hackers in it so i came back to rs and became a pimp and a scammer then i quit for good then i played a wide variety of free ones im 16 and my parents refuse to pay monthly so i have to play for free so now im waiting for a good free one but rs isnt bad and im thinking i might go back maybe but its not best its not worst (conquer online is worst)

Originally posted by JonnyHelfire

DS Stands for Dark Slayers(Atleast the DS I was referring to).  They broke apart about 5 months ago I believe.

I believe that most of their members left for Divine Forces(DF).  Kinda ruined Damage Incorporated(DI)'s chance of getting back to the top.

• KaabulkKaabulk Member Posts: 670

Typos REMOVED(woo) Congratulations...?
    Why it gets bad reviews:
    Unlike most people who review Runescape, Ive actually played it for about two years now. (So have I and countless RS haters)  People who will play through the tutorial, get about 10 combat, then review it as 'the suckiest game ever'.  They, in a sense, are right.  The game SUCKS f2p as a noob.  The general environment of a ton of low levels moving around, scamming, lieing, giving people shit about being a "noob", SUCKS.  But after you get members and about 60-70 combat, you hit the "average" player stage, and people treat you like themselves(usually).  To be honest, if you don't like the game at the beginning, you are doomed to hate it. I loved the first 2 and a half years I played it and I have turned out to despise it for all the time it took away from me I could of spent on something alot better.
    "The Graphics Suck":
    Not really.  They aren't exactly "Guild Wars" quality graphics. but they are defined, and clear.  As a matter of fact, Jagex has been working with that, and their new dragon graphics are pretty good. (They still aren't the average quality graphics for MMORPG'S no matter how good you think they are they just don't compare to most MMORPG's.)
    Not even.  Ive played some of the lower ranked games on the list, you know, the ones that look like 8-bit Gameboy classics.  And Runescape makes them look like shit.  If you've seen "Pirates of the Carribean: The Tale of the Black Pearl", you may have remembered the scene where Commodor Norrington[i think] took his 'effects' and said "You are without doubt the WORST pirate I've ever heard of!" Then Captain Jack Sparrow replies "Aye, but you HAVE heard of me." So it's fair to say the same thing about Runescape. (They are are still considered low quality graphics in this modern age, ever heard of the 21 st century? It appears your still living in the 17th century or whatever age you live in.)
    "With all the money they make, why don't they upgrade from Java!?":
    The main reason that I still play Runescape, is because it works really well on my slow computer.  Which is why a LOT of people play it.  Especially kids under 16(I'm 15), who have NO income to pay for their own computer, while they use their parent's computer that is used for email and the such(hardy uses memory). That explains all the 10 year olds making videos on Youtube and Myspace running around in blue paper crown(the rare "party'hat that people would kill to own -- Through internet trading websites, at 5$ a million, thats a $2500 possession)  anyways, if they upgraded, all those people would quit, and runescape would be just as popular as the average MMORPG with better grapics. They'd have no chance with that, since theirs plenty of other games like that, and only one RS quality game.  To be honest, it's the most convienient game on the internet for people with bad computers. (Look at WoW with 3x - 5x more paying members.)
    Actually, the game can be pretty exiting.  The idea of PvP(PK'ing and Dueling are the games more used words )  is in two types: One On One(Single Combat), and Multi-Combat.  With Single combat, the idea is to use what you're willing to lose, but not something that leaves you defenseless(that would be cool strategy fun, but people have basically set standards).  Multi Combat is in two forms, f2p, and p2p.  There Castlewars and pking.  Castlewars is a Capture the flag game pvp, basically the idea.  F2P pking is much simpler, lets jump to clanning.  I, myself, fought in a clan called "Wolfpack", against various other clans(to show im not a noob to other rs players, Note we fought EOS twice[won once], Ran in with VR and Corruption(Fought them off good too), and Anti-Crashed the  3 DS-DI Wars every 5 months or so.) The basic idea of F2P clan pking takes a while.  Not quite as "Run in, go to places you'd find someone with good stuff, kill him, find more pk'ers, run back in in"... Its more of a "Gather up, search the wild,and fight anyone else doing that".   It actually requires quick thinking, because in that situation, the enemy clan of anywhere from 30-400 people will use a technique called "Pile'ing" and you will have to heal and try to use obstacles(hugging) at the same time.  For f2p warring, the armour is Full Rune armour, Swordfish(f2p best food) strength potions, form up, spam about ur clan kicking ass, form up, go in, fight to the death, die, re-equip, and return, until everyone is clean out of supplies.  F2p warring is very uniform, kinda like the civil war, or British warfare in the 1700's, whereas P2p warring can be very flexible, and a clan of 500 could lose to a clan of just 50, if one clan has the better armour combination. (500 lose to 50? I see your a fan of the 300 spartans, but in Runescape where its mostly auto attack except throw in a few spells like ice barrage or something would be nearly impossible with such odds against you unless you were all 120s against lvl 70s.)
    "The Music Sucks":
    to be honest, who plays for music? (Agreed.)
    Jagex's apparent "not caring" about free players.  They PRESSURE by leaving a DENSE amount of 'members only' stuff in nonmembers areas.  In fact, at the beginning area, there is a chest in the basement of the castle you start at... members only, and AFTER members, only required a QUEST to use.  The HAM lair near lumbridge is members only,  Alot of NPC's have a "pickpocket' selection, which is members only. The swamp south of the city features a shed only accessible by members, a TREE that can only be chopped by members(from lost city quest),  to the east of the city you start... a massive duel arena(basically the colloseum) members only for the entrance fence. South of that is a WHOLE desert, that is members only, including a chest, new npcs, a salesman, all members only. Once you get members, you have to do quests to unlock most of that stuff, leaving quite the disappointment.. but hey.. thats business.
    Ok I now I didn't preach my usual 10 paragraph post, but I have to go to bed soon so I don't have time for long posts. Anyway the ultimate anti RS hate is back so take a moment to spam hate remarks at me.

You seem to have restated every statement I reply to.  Good job. Formatting the page doesn't make it plausible.

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

The only legitamite 'cuss' word still working, is "hell" and only because it is the fast way to say "he'll"

No. The reason hell isn't censored is because there's a monster called a "hellhound". "Blow" isn't censored because you blow on molten glass to form it, and "balls" isn't censored because of cannonballs.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
    Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.