Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm free trialling Eve

abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

So far I really like it, it has a lot of the sandbox skill based elements that SWG used to have. I made a Caldari guy, finished the tutorials and I'm doing missions from agents, I just recently got my first ship upgrade. I've looked over the things you can do in the game and I've decided I want to try bounty hunting. I do have some questions though.

How can I become competitive in PvP in the least amount of time? What type of ship, skills, etc. will I need?

Can I team up with a friend, hunt a bounty, and share the reward?

Can I do PvP, manufacturing, and mining with the same toon or would it be adviseable to make a different guy for each?

Any other noob info would be helpful.

Thanks much.

Comments

• darkfish0darkfish0 Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by abbaba

So far I really like it, it has a lot of the sandbox skill based elements that SWG used to have. I made a Caldari guy, finished the tutorials and I'm doing missions from agents, I just recently got my first ship upgrade. I've looked over the things you can do in the game and I've decided I want to try bounty hunting. I do have some questions though.
    How can I become competitive in PvP in the least amount of time? What type of ship, skills, etc. will I need?
    Take a frig and gank some newbs in low sec. You'll lose a lot but learn too.
    Can I team up with a friend, hunt a bounty, and share the reward?
    Well, you could send him the isk after. But bounty hunting is not doable in the current game mechanics, pirating can be done, but generally doesnt pay much.
    Can I do PvP, manufacturing, and mining with the same toon or would it be adviseable to make a different guy for each?
    You can, dont train your characters seperatly as that sucks. If you wish to have seperate accounts and pay for them, it is worthwhile.
    Any other noob info would be helpful.

Thanks much.

--------------------
    Member of Coreli corp.
    We have the boosters you crave!

• lowradslowrads Member UncommonPosts: 200

Bounty hunting takes teamwork and lots of determination. 

In theory, you could use the bounty hunting page to find people with exceptionally high bounties.  It might hard to find such a small target however.  An alternative might be to find a contracted target, or to target a particularly lucrative corporation.

Basic Tools:

-Buddy list.  Basically, whenever a target is online, it shows as green, red when they are offline.  Often, corps at war will go to a lot of trouble to get as many of a corp's members in their buddy list as possible.  Just by seeing them in local and assembling lists is one way, using spies, contacting their other enemies, or bribing/tricking one of their members is another way.

-Search agents.  These are specialized NPC agents that you find in stations.  A small portion of regular mission agents will also have search ability listed in their show info page.  You can browse them by doing show info on their corp and navigating the agents tab.  At least one member of your extended organization will need pretty good standing with these guys in a convenient spot. 

-Cloaking devices.  You will need these to track a particular person, to get an concrete grasp of what ship they are flying and what it is named.  It may also be helpful in tracking them to find their other members, or do learn more about their logistics networks.  When you are in a situation where backup is going to be available, the cloak can let you get the perfect warp-in point.

-Recon and Scan Probes.  There are different strategies for using these, but either can be used to accomplish your goal of picking out individual ship types and warping to them at supposed safe spots, or at least to the gates of mission deadspaces.  Any astrometrics frigate will do, but covertops specialized frigs or cruisers will handle the role better.  You have to decloak to launch probes, and launched probes can always be seen on the scanner when filtering options are unselected.  An Imicus might actually cause less alarm than a Helios.  Using these correctly is a different guide altogether, but knowledge of the normal scanner is immensely helpful.

The hardest part of the job is sorting out non-targets, and of course being restricted to ABs in deadspaces.  Doing this work in highsec is hard due to the large number of vessels around, but it is possible.  In lowsec there is less traffic and random ships, and so there is more likelihood that your actions will be noticed.  In 0.0 sec space, your actions are automatically expected unless the targets you are hunting mistakenly think you are flagged blue to them.  (So innocent.)

-Alts or Allies.  In either case, it is unpromising and inefficient if your target knows you are looking for him.  Local is a nasty tool which will completely shut down your efforts.  Camping a target in a station is a very popular action for whatever reason, but I would not recommend it if your sole goal is a killmail and some loot.  An alt with a targets list, and astrometric probing skills can do much of the work without drawing attention to themselves.  An ally with the same ability, and none of the "Hey look at me!" flags such as your corp or alliance ticker, or -10 sec can do the job much much more efficiently.  If you must work alone, your prober will just have to rely on quickly getting a bookmark copied, jettisoned, and scooped by your main.  I do not recommend this course of action at all.

-Voip coms and gang tools.  In many cases, your target is going to be extremely wary and knowledgable of his surrounding systems due to his network.  Any gang of pilots might cause them to respond by hiding, or bringing in greater numbers.  Ideally, you will be sitting in a nearby system while your prober does their thing.  If you are busting a highly alert gate camp, you will want only a small amount of innocuous forces in all systems surrounding that system so that their eyes are not tipped off by a local surge.  When your covert calls it in, you are going to want at least one of your tacklers in their system and in warp to them even before the backup clicks the jump button.  The ability to direct your captains in multiple systems, or to co-ordinate multiple gangs is extremely helpful.  Maps from either Serenity Steele, or Omber Zombie can also be very helpful.

-Patience.  Don't be surprised if you don't make a lot of money at this.  Even if you pop CNR carebears all the time, it's much more difficult work than grinding NPCs.  If you can find a few reliable people that you trust, you will have a lot more fun than others.   Naturally, you will not garner a lot of reputation skulking around all time, but with luck, the well-earned income it brings can help you outfit your corp for strait up fights more often. 

-Leadership.  Operating a smooth operating machine requires superb management and efficient utilization of your members' precious time.  Your pilots will be happier if they know what's expected of them and are ready to go at any time of the day.  Making readiness a core goal is a good start for finding tasks for your members to do.  They will be spending a lot of time on alts fanning out looking for targets while staying in contact.  Alternately, if you are cooperating with an unidentified ally, you will be doing a lot of searching for your allies while they should be doing the same. 

-Lastly, sensor boosters.  Unless you are in 0.0, dictor probes do not operate.  As a consequence, pods warp very fast.  Locking them is often essential for claiming wealth beyond their loot.  Even in an interceptor, you have to be mindful that you do not zoom out of range once the last bit of structure evaporates. 

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Top PvP tip...

Only fly what you can lose.

Expect to lose everything thats on your ship as well as the ship and amke sure you can afford to replace any loss then you should be fine.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• HerkmeckHerkmeck Member Posts: 206

Originally posted by METALDRAG0N

Top PvP tip...
    Only fly what you can lose.

Expect to lose everything thats on your ship as well as the ship and amke sure you can afford to replace any loss then you should be fine.
    If everyone followed this tip...there would be nobody out there doing PvP.  Dont know about you, but the constant PvP I was doing kept my wallet low.

OP whatever you do dont PvP with "named" or "Tech II" gear....It pisses them off when all they find in the wreck is unamed tech I items.  Get into a "anti Pirate corp" yeah I know there is not alot of these, but maybe one or two...Frigs and cruisers make the best ships to use, they are cheap and can still function with a small fleet.  Get a BPO of your favorite ship....and produce your own....lots of tips.  But it is better to ask for this information INGAME and not from this site....

• FleshsmithFleshsmith Member Posts: 22

My advice would be to post on the eve forums that you are looking for a corp to teach you the pvp ropes.  Ther are corps out there that will show you the ropes and toss you right into combat.   Many of these will furnish you with t1 ships making the losses a bit easier to take.  Once you find yourself a corp relocate to their operating area.  If your still into running missions, you can di this in your new home as way to pad the wallet for more expensive ships and fits down the line.  If missioning, concentrate on skills inclusive to both agent running and combat.  Not too difficult to do as most of your basic combat pvp skills will cross over save for EW mods, scramblers and such. 

One last thing.  SPECIALIZE !  If you are planning to eventually pvp in any form the fastest way to level yourself out with potential opponetnts is to pick a race of ship and weps to use on those ships and train those skills to completion.  Then as you progress you may choose to specialize on a certain class of ship within that race. 

• solesole Member Posts: 78

first of all " Do keep your Clone upgraded "

I would first get my self a realy good feel with my ship what it can do and what it cant do

get to know what my tracking and range of the guns are.